Pc q&a

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
PC and GutOnc, thank you for all the informative posts over the years, I've gone back and read many of them, and they have been extremely helpful in navigating this process. With the new application season approaching rapidly, I wanted to get your advice and see if there was any change in the perspective on "Carib" grads.

Full Disclosure: I am a Caribbean grad. It's the only blemish on what I think is otherwise, a fairly competitive application for Cards. I went to undergrad at a Top 10 University, did research for a year at a Top Tier University Hospital before medical school, and have worked my tail off the last 6 years for good USMLE scores, good research with publications, and good LORs while in residency at a large community/clinical program. However, I am still a Caribbean grad; I majored in a non-medical field in undergrad, got started late in pre-med, and when the time came, I took the best opportunity available to me.

My dream position would be at that Top Tier University Hospital program, and I am a making a full-court press towards that effort.
1) Would your programs still likely filter me out despite my application?

2) Besides interest emails, are there other steps I can take to improve my chances of getting an interview?

3) I have mentors who either trained or were affiliated with this University Hospital in the past, and have offered to make phone calls on my behalf. When would it be appropriate and advantageous for them to make these calls? Now, or end of July/early August to give me the best chance of getting my foot in the door for an interview, or in late October prior to the rank list?

I may be overthinking this, but I want to make sure I play my cards right (no pun intended ;)). Thank you again for all the advice.

1) We would likely look closely at your research and pubs.
2) Not really.
3) I recommend having your mentor(s) send an e-mail to the PD after we start downloading on 7/15. Should you not get an invite, perhaps then have someone make a call to the PD. Neither action will be a lock, but either may help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi ProgCoordinator,

I am new to this forum, I uploaded all my LORs by myself through LOR portal, since all my LORs written back in December/13, and I didn't ask the writers to re write them since I though it will be a burden. My question if that will be considered a negative point?

Last edited:
Hi ProgCoordinator,

I am new to this forum, I downlaoded all my LORs by myself through LOR portal, since all my LORs written back in December/13, and I didn't ask the writers to re write them since I though it will be a burden. My question if that will be considered a negative point?

Hey there! It may very well depend on the program. We would probably notice the dates. Since you uploaded the LORs, some may notice that the writers haven't noted that you waived your right to read the letters.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi PC,

How do programs know if I have waived my right, if the letter writer don't mention this in my LoR? I have waived my right for all 4 of my letters and two of them replied saying we noted at bottom that you waive your right. But I am not sure about other 2 if they mentioned that. I think there is a way for programs to know, e.g. ERAS put a mark or cover letter in front of the letter, is that right?

Thanks so much!

Hi PC,

How do programs know if I have waived my right, if the letter writer don't mention this in my LoR? I have waived my right for all 4 of my letters and two of them replied saying we noted at bottom that you waive your right. But I am not sure about other 2 if they mentioned that. I think there is a way for programs to know, e.g. ERAS put a mark or cover letter in front of the letter, is that right?

Thanks so much!

It is typically mentioned in the LOR itself. ERAS has evolved, though, and it appears that the new 2014 version offers a notation at the top of each LOR that states whether an applicant has waived their right to view.

Dear PC, quick ? for you. What do they mean by "peer reviewed abstracts" in ERAS CV software? This category is in joint with another as "peer reviewed journal publications/abstracts". I understand what is peer reviewed publication, but what is the latter one?

Are these the abstracts which were presented at national meeting and subsequently published as "abstracts" in journals. But the really confusing part is there is separate section for posters/oral presentations in ERAS software.o_O

I am sure, you have scanned through many CVs, how do people handle this?

Thanks so much!

Hi ProgCoordinator,

I am new to this forum, I uploaded all my LORs by myself through LOR portal, since all my LORs written back in December/13, and I didn't ask the writers to re write them since I though it will be a burden. My question if that will be considered a negative point?

This seems like a huge unnecessary error. Why not just have your letter writers change the date on your letters and have their secretary upload them?

You have created a red flag where there did not need one.

hi PC, general/stupid question again.. is the picture a necessary part of the application? Most programs don't mention it among stuff needed to complete an application. Do all the apps you receive have one?

Dear PC, quick ? for you. What do they mean by "peer reviewed abstracts" in ERAS CV software? This category is in joint with another as "peer reviewed journal publications/abstracts". I understand what is peer reviewed publication, but what is the latter one?

Are these the abstracts which were presented at national meeting and subsequently published as "abstracts" in journals. But the really confusing part is there is separate section for posters/oral presentations in ERAS software.o_O

I am sure, you have scanned through many CVs, how do people handle this?

Thanks so much!

I see "Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts" and "Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts (other than published)".

EDITED because Reading is FUNDAMENTAL... A peer reviewed abstract is typically submitted for conferences. After being presented they may be published. Differentiating between poster presentations and oral presentations can be kinda fuzzy.

Last edited:
hi PC, general/stupid question again.. is the picture a necessary part of the application? Most programs don't mention it among stuff needed to complete an application. Do all the apps you receive have one?

Yes, please include photo. We need them. Since transitioning to ERAS we frequently neglect to list the photo as a requirement. I think many take it for granted; not realizing that it's not an ERAS requirement. If you don't upload one, we'll probably back track and ask you to do so if you're invited to interview.

Yes, please include photo. We need them. Since transitioning to ERAS we frequently neglect to list the photo as a requirement. I think many take it for granted; not realizing that it's not an ERAS requirement. If you don't upload one, we'll probably back track and ask you to do so if you're invited to interview.
Thanks PC and gutonc.... darn, I gotta go to the studio now!

Thanks PC and gutonc.... darn, I gotta go to the studio now!

Honey, I've had people submit selfies. I kid you not. Please don't do that, but don't make yourself crazy or spend a ton of money on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honey, I've had people submit selfies. I kid you not. Please don't do that, but don't make yourself crazy or spend a ton of money on it.
Lol, I guess as long as you can identify 'em :) Thanks for all your help PC

I have the one from hospital's physician poster (with white coat) and plan on submitting that one…..very formal but seems like that should work better than selfie :)

Hello, PC

Do programs care about MSPE/transcripts? In my pool of programs, none of them lists it as required. Should I send it anyways. Thanks a lot, sorry if this was already discussed.

Se
Hello, PC

Do programs care about MSPE/transcripts? In my pool of programs, none of them lists it as required. Should I send it anyways. Thanks a lot, sorry if this was already discussed.

send it anyway. Some websites are outdated and they aren't accurate on the exact list of things wanted. And I don't believe u will be penalized for submitting. If u think it will hurt you then play dumb and don't submit after all it's not on the website.

I see "Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts" and "Peer Reviewed Journal Articles/Abstracts (other than published)".

EDITED because Reading is FUNDAMENTAL... A peer reviewed abstract is typically submitted for conferences. After being presented they may be published. Differentiating between poster presentations and oral presentations can be kinda fuzzy.

I have over 20 abstracts presented at acc and tct and they were all published in some stupid journal supplement( by default) . I feel that if I list it as peer reviewed published abstract it's gonna make it look like I have crazy number of pubs and I might come across as padding my cv. I listed them as a poster to separate them from real pubs. Is that reasonable ?

I have over 20 abstracts presented at acc and tct and they were all published in some stupid journal supplement( by default) . I feel that if I list it as peer reviewed published abstract it's gonna make it look like I have crazy number of pubs and I might come across as padding my cv. I listed them as a poster to separate them from real pubs. Is that reasonable ?
Yes.

Did the same thing.

makes sens
Se

send it anyway. Some websites are outdated and they aren't accurate on the exact list of things wanted. And I don't believe u will be penalized for submitting. If u think it will hurt you then play dumb and don't submit after all it's not on the website.

makes sense, thanks.

Thanks, I will do same. Only poster.

Dear PC, 2 of my lors are not yet uploaded. Does it matter a lot if I apply in couple days from today?

Hi PC, I have a few burning questions and no one to ask at the moment...

1) I'm finding that most fellowship websites, as far as specifics re: application requirements, are either vague or have not been updated in years, which is a bit frustrating. Many do not even list contact info for a PC (only the PD...I have enough sense not to bug a PD about application logistics:)). Most read something like: "Applications should be submitted through ERAS". But no mention of USMLE, transcript, MSPE, etc etc. Are these implied as being required? I'm asking because I'd rather not submit some of these documents if I don't have to, but don't want my application to not be reviewed for being "incomplete"

2) If a program lists of deadline, of say July 31st - does that imply that all letters must be in by that date as well?

3) I'm still waiting on one letter (gah). It is from someone internationally known in the field... and he offered to write me a very strong letter. This is likely the strongest part of my application. Would I be better off waiting another week or so for this letter to come in before I apply??

Thanks!

I see that most people are asking application specific questions here, but I had a general question about applying for fellowship next year. I'm at a pretty strong IM program and have a few basic science publications from med school (3rd author and lower), and I'm currently involved with a few projects with fellows, but I really can't see myself publishing anything significant within the next year. Should I hold off on applying until I can publish something more current to strengthen my application? I'm interested in clinical cardiology if that makes any difference.

Dear PC,

Wanted to ask you a quick question, just curious to know the answer. What does it really mean when fellowship program says our "committee" reviews application? Does that mean, discussing application on a projector in front of committee and every faculty makes comments/give points? Or "each" application that is reviewed by an individual faculty is discussed in front of the committee (even when sending rejection?). Thanks so much!