PCOM Biomedical Sciences 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Not yet, i applied a bit late but was "completed" on July 22nd. Still haven't heard from them yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know the Philly orientation and start dates? I guess at this point that all seats are full

GA had 2 days of orientation we finished yesterday. I wonder why Philly only has one

I applied for the Fall 2016 in early September and my application was complete with all materials received in early October. I was told in an email that applications would be reviewed starting the end of September. I have not heard anything.....have I applied "too early" to hear anything? Admissions are rolling which is why I applied so early, but it seems like a lot of you got acceptances Mar-June, so I just have to keep waiting? Do any of you know what the process is like on their end? The program has changed and we are no longer allowed to ask for status updates of any kind so the wait is absolutely terrible when you are trying to make future plans.

Last edited:
I applied for the Fall 2016 in early September and my application was complete with all materials received in early October. I was told in an email that applications would be reviewed starting the end of September. I have not heard anything.....have I applied "too early" to hear anything? Admissions are rolling which is why I applied so early, but it seems like a lot of you got acceptances Mar-June, so I just have to keep waiting? Do any of you know what the process is like on their end? The program has changed and we are no longer allowed to ask for status updates of any kind so the wait is absolutely terrible when you are trying to make future plans.

You are applying for the Biomedical Science Masters correct? If so it is very possible that because they are busy interviewing for the DO program they have not yet started looking or making decisions for the program yet just be patient. I personally did not apply until June and I got accepted. I did not know about the program until June though which is why I applied so late.

Reactions: 1 user
You are applying for the Biomedical Science Masters correct? If so it is very possible that because they are busy interviewing for the DO program they have not yet started looking or making decisions for the program yet just be patient. I personally did not apply until June and I got accepted. I did not know about the program until June though which is why I applied so late.

Yep that's the program. Maybe I just did apply very early and I am just concerned because the informational message said that they would begin reviewing apps in September. Another program I'm going to apply for isn't even open for apps yet. May I ask your stats? Even though this program is designed to take low MCATs mine is so poor and I think it might prevent me from getting in. My GPA is above average for the program at least.

Hey I'm in the Biomed program this year. My MCAT was poor also, granted I took the old one and will probably retake the new one before applying to the DO program, but don't let your MCAT hold you back. I think PCOM in general looks at the overall application and you'd be surprised how broad the stats are for those accepted, clinical experience is important as well. Your GPA will also help a lot.

I definitely think you applied realllly early so don't worry too much about the silence on PCOM's end. As someone said they're doing DO program interviews and getting those out the way. Normally Biomed acceptances start rolling in around February and later.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the Biomed program as well. My MCAT was poor, as well as my undergrad gpa. I was very honest in my application, explained it well, and I wrote what I expected to get out of the program. I literally have no idea how I was accepted, but I guess they saw my potential. I have numerous amounts of clinical experience, and I think I had a good story. I applied in January and didn't hear anything until June 1st. So I understand how it feels to wait. I would say you are fine, I know someone in our class who applied two weeks before classes started, so you should be okay! Good luck.

I'm in the Biomed program as well. My MCAT was poor, as well as my undergrad gpa. I was very honest in my application, explained it well, and I wrote what I expected to get out of the program. I literally have no idea how I was accepted, but I guess they saw my potential. I have numerous amounts of clinical experience, and I think I had a good story. I applied in January and didn't hear anything until June 1st. So I understand how it feels to wait. I would say you are fine, I know someone in our class who applied two weeks before classes started, so you should be okay! Good luck.

Do you mind sharing your gpa before being accepted to the program?

<3.0 science and overall gpa. I wasn't waitlisted like some, I just got a later acceptance. That's with no grade replacement. And the advice I would give to anyone is be prepared for disorganization at times. Lots of group work first term, lots of "busy" work, group videos and projects. If you can ask specific I can answer.

Question 1: How would you rate the overall difficulty of the program so far?

Okay let me put it like this, I don't think the program is difficult but there are some courses I didn't do as well in because I have had no biochemistry so it took me a whole to grasp the concepts, and then others like embryology where I'm doing well in and others aren't. So I think we all have our individual struggles. But the program is doable. Or is trimester based. So some information and tests are jammed packed. And it can get overwhelming because it's just soo much they are trying to fit in, in a limited amount of time.

Question 2: What specifically has been most challenging for ex. professor's teaching styles, tests format, volume of information to retain etc.

I HATEEEEE power points. And that's everybody's way to deliver the content, so I spend time rewriting and reading the book to grasp the Info because I feel like they are bare. People will tell you to not read the book, just focus on the ppts, and that didn't work for me and I didn't find out until the last two exams. I think lecture is a waste of time, because in my opinion most just read word for word, but you will have quizzes that count for points and attendance so it's not really mandatory but if you want your points you'll come. The lectures are recorded. The styles all vary, some prof want you to get this philosophical way too in depth unconventional style learning that isn't applicable to your content, makes you do videos to judge and critique you on your ethnicity and appearance, and has nothing to do with the content you're presenting, you're judged on your personality, and others are all over the place and others are detail picky. You'll see what I mean if you come.

Question 3: You mention that the program is disorganized at times. What are the pros and cons of the programs structure?

I don't really have a comparison because I haven't attended any other program, but I imagine Philly campus is way more structured. We have had some people leave the program because of how it is ran. The pros is that the content is beneficial to the MCAT, you learn how to read research papers which is new to me. The cons, SO MUCH BUSY WORK. It's like we are children and that's why people left. It doesn't feel like an adult program. Seems like extended high school at times. But overall I'm thankful to be here because it's helping me bridge this learning gap.

Question 4: Do the professors do reviews before tests and are there any old notes/tests available from past biomed students? No and yes. You can go to office hours for the prof, and you are paired with a mentor that usually helps with old notes etc and we also have a google drive with a few old notes but mostly textbooks in the PDF form. I am keeping all of my notes for my mentee :)

Question 5: How would you rate the program based on your first semester and would you apply to a different SMP if you had the chance?

I would rate it about a 5/6 out of 10. The content is there, it's the manner in which it's presented, and the busy work that KILLS ME. There are a few courses that Philly doesn't have, that we do that I think are a waste of time. It's basically like an English course. And if I would have gotten accepted to another program and I knew what I knew now, I would go elsewhere. It's doable it's just frustrating at times.

Maybe somebody else will respond, but this is just my personal opinion. Hope this helps, if you have anymore questions let me know :)

Hey guys I'm looking into the program at PA for PCOM's biomedical postbac I currently have 3.04 cumlative GPA and like a 2.7 science GPA Im going to use my GRE scores after I take them as the scores I use to send them currently Im scoring around a 305. I was wondering how I stack up for the program?

I did a year of the Philly program, and here are some of my thoughts. Feel free to message me with any further questions, I'm not on this too much.

I didn't think the majority of the material was conceptually difficult, it was sometimes more the volume of the material and whether or not you had extensive exposure to it in undergrad. At the Philly campus I don't really remember us having many things that we HAD to show up for, maybe three classes where attendance was taken (although my memory could be failing me). With class only three days a week and only in the evenings (5-9pm, assuming it goes full time) there was plenty of time to study. I ended up just doing school work and not getting a job but getting involved in a bunch of clubs and watching a lot of tv and still felt that I had plenty of down time.

Question 2: What specifically has been most challenging for ex. professor's teaching styles, tests format, volume of information to retain etc.
I would say volume of information, but being in a DO program now it doesn't feel like it was that bad anymore. Lectures are almost exclusively delivered via powerpoint, except for one professor that uses notes typed out on Word, so if you don't learn well that way you'll have to figure something out. I would make study guides out of the lecture objectives the professors gave, then make a set of flashcards off of that (I do well with active learning techniques). Tests are mainly multiple choice, which is good in the sense that the answer is at least there somewhere you just have to find it. The idea of taking computerized tests bothered me in the beginning of the year, but after the first one I got used to it.
Also you'll learn whether or not you're the type of person that needs/wants to go to class. The lectures are recorded, and second and third trimesters there are scribe notes for them as well. Some people learn better by just going over the scribe notes and not actually going to class, or just listening to the lecture the next day at home at 2x the speed. Whatever program you go to you'll figure out your study style and what works best for you.

Question 3: You mention that the program is disorganized at times. What are the pros and cons of the programs structure?
I didn't feel like it was terribly disorganized, but others may feel differently.

Question 4: Do the professors do reviews before tests and are there any old notes/tests available from past biomed students?
I don't remember any formal lecture reviews, but professors may go over key points at the end of their last lecture before the test that they stressed in previous lectures. Professors are also very open to students stopping by their offices to ask questions about topics they are unsure about. The school supplies students with back tests, but they are about 10 years old. Upperclassmen can usually point out concepts they remember being tested, but the school moved to electronic testing are electronic so they can't actually give us paper copies of old tests (unless they were biomeds a few years back). If you make friends with people that have done the program or are in the second year they'll pass down a bunch of study resources (quizlet flashcards, old lecture notes, study questions, etc.).

Question 5: How would you rate the program based on your first semester and would you apply to a different SMP if you had the chance?
I'll rate my first year as an 8 or 9 out of 10. I came in with a terrible uGPA and a decent MCAT, and I really needed the biomed year to get my act together academically. Doing well in this program is what got me where I am now. I made lots of good friends that year that I still have, and since I had so much free time as a biomed I got to explore a lot of clubs and get involved. The coursework is very similar to what the 1st year DO students take, and that has come in handy now that I'm a first year. In addition, as a biomed you get the opportunity to get to know the professors and the administration (admissions included), which really helps if you want to get in to PCOM's DO program.

Sorry if my thoughts are all over the place; I've been doing almost nothing but watching tv while we're on this break and I can feel my brain starting to turn to mush :)

Reactions: 2 users
I did a year of the Philly program, and here are some of my thoughts. Feel free to message me with any further questions, I'm not on this too much.

I didn't think the majority of the material was conceptually difficult, it was sometimes more the volume of the material and whether or not you had extensive exposure to it in undergrad. At the Philly campus I don't really remember us having many things that we HAD to show up for, maybe three classes where attendance was taken (although my memory could be failing me). With class only three days a week and only in the evenings (5-9pm, assuming it goes full time) there was plenty of time to study. I ended up just doing school work and not getting a job but getting involved in a bunch of clubs and watching a lot of tv and still felt that I had plenty of down time.

I would say volume of information, but being in a DO program now it doesn't feel like it was that bad anymore. Lectures are almost exclusively delivered via powerpoint, except for one professor that uses notes typed out on Word, so if you don't learn well that way you'll have to figure something out. I would make study guides out of the lecture objectives the professors gave, then make a set of flashcards off of that (I do well with active learning techniques). Tests are mainly multiple choice, which is good in the sense that the answer is at least there somewhere you just have to find it. The idea of taking computerized tests bothered me in the beginning of the year, but after the first one I got used to it.
Also you'll learn whether or not you're the type of person that needs/wants to go to class. The lectures are recorded, and second and third trimesters there are scribe notes for them as well. Some people learn better by just going over the scribe notes and not actually going to class, or just listening to the lecture the next day at home at 2x the speed. Whatever program you go to you'll figure out your study style and what works best for you.

I didn't feel like it was terribly disorganized, but others may feel differently.

Question 4: Do the professors do reviews before tests and are there any old notes/tests available from past biomed students?
I don't remember any formal lecture reviews, but professors may go over key points at the end of their last lecture before the test that they stressed in previous lectures. Professors are also very open to students stopping by their offices to ask questions about topics they are unsure about. The school supplies students with back tests, but they are about 10 years old. Upperclassmen can usually point out concepts they remember being tested, but the school moved to electronic testing are electronic so they can't actually give us paper copies of old tests (unless they were biomeds a few years back). If you make friends with people that have done the program or are in the second year they'll pass down a bunch of study resources (quizlet flashcards, old lecture notes, study questions, etc.).

I'll rate my first year as an 8 or 9 out of 10. I came in with a terrible uGPA and a decent MCAT, and I really needed the biomed year to get my act together academically. Doing well in this program is what got me where I am now. I made lots of good friends that year that I still have, and since I had so much free time as a biomed I got to explore a lot of clubs and get involved. The coursework is very similar to what the 1st year DO students take, and that has come in handy now that I'm a first year. In addition, as a biomed you get the opportunity to get to know the professors and the administration (admissions included), which really helps if you want to get in to PCOM's DO program.

Sorry if my thoughts are all over the place; I've been doing almost nothing but watching tv while we're on this break and I can feel my brain starting to turn to mush :)

Do you remember what your Gpa was when you applied to the biomedical program ?

I can tell you Philly is more competitive than GA. There were some people in my class who were rejected or WL from the Philly program but accepted outright to the GA program. I would hands down go to Philly campus over GA campus.

@prettyNURSEtoMD

I really appreciate the time you took in answering my questions. I am debating on applying to this program after retaking some classes. I am most concerned about the structure of the program and the "BUSY WORK" you mentioned that makes the program sort of high schoolish. I am glad you said the program is doable because I believe if I work hard enough and tweak my study habits to the flow of the program, I can be successful. But I am also considering another SMP like VCOM's postbac program.

1. Do you rate the program 5.6 out of 10 or 0.83 out 10 lol?

LOL. Was I harsh?!

2. Is the first trimester of the program heavy in biochemistry? We have a class called BCMB. Which is Biochem/Cell Bio/Molec Bio. So our tests are all surrounded around those topics.

3, Are you only going to do the 1 year certificate or the 2 year masters? I'm doing 2 years.

4. Are you going to apply to PCOM after completing whichever route you take in the program? Yes, I'm applying to PCOM, GA only (I hate cold, so no Philly), because I think it would be dumb not to.

5. Are you going to retake the Mcat after or before completing whichever route you take in the program? I'm retaking June 18th, so I would have finished the first year which is all foundational and I'm applying at the same time.

6. How many people left the program and did they leave after a couple of days in the program? We started with 80, we have 70 ish. One girl let in the first week. She wants Ph.D, others left because of the structure and others because of grades.

Do you remember what your Gpa was when you applied to the biomedical program ?

I messaged you specifics, but my GPA was low (sub-3.0). I applied to Georgia and got accepted there, while Philly originally had me on hold before being accepted later.

Hey guys, how does this program calculate science GPA? Is it calculated by AACOMAS or AMCAS standards because I know both calculate their science gpa's differently (ie retakes, math courses, etc). Thanks!

I'm not sure. All I know without AACOMAS my gpa is very low.

I spoke with ms. Cannon and she informed me that they do not do any recalculating so whatever gpa is on your transcript is the one they use to determine admission

I love Aise. She stressed me out at first. But if anybody wants specifics on my actual grades and stats just PM me and I'll tell you. Trust me, for GA campus you will be fine.

Hey guys I'm looking into the program at PA for PCOM's biomedical postbac I currently have 3.04 cumlative GPA and like a 2.7 science GPA Im going to use my GRE scores after I take them as the scores I use to send them currently Im scoring around a 305. I was wondering how I stack up for the program?

What is the app deadline for PCOM Philly MS program? I don't get my MCAT score until May (taking it April 1st).

With a 40th percentile MCAT and a above 3.0 GPA in program, are you guaranteed interview?

I applied to LECOM's program but I would rather be in Philly, so thought I would apply here as well, as long as my MCAT score comes back in time to send out an app.

Cheers.

I don't know pa but ga is 3.0 495 MCAT. I don't know what percent that is.

What sort of "activities related to biomedical sciences" did people put for the PCOM BioMed process?!

Originally I thought it meant like volunteering and such...

application deadline for applying to the medical school or what? im sorry i dont understand your question.
PCOM Biomed program. I sent in the initial app process earlier today. They said they would send me an email with more stuff I need to do like MCAT scores, LoR, etc.

It's rolling admission. No real set deadline. A girl in my class applied 2 weeks before class and got accepted. They will send you a username where you can go on and check when your documents are received etc, then they will send you and email telling you when you are complete

It's rolling admission. No real set deadline. A girl in my class applied 2 weeks before class and got accepted. They will send you a username where you can go on and check when your documents are received etc, then they will send you and email telling you when you are complete
Can you shed light on the program? Although it isn't a "bridge" program to the DO school, do many of the students like yourself, do it for one year and get into PCOM or other med schools? I don't want to attend if I need to do it for the full 2 years masters really. I am trying to do a year to prove to schools, hopefully PCOM, that I can deal with medical school and want to be matriculating into a Fall 2017 med class.

There are people in my class who have gotten interviews and have been accepted. They are only doing the first year. You do not have to complete the 2 years. I am doing 2 years as I want the Masters

I know one had around a 3.4. I'm not sure if that's after retakes or not. But that is your number. I don't know the grades of anybody else, sorry.

I'm probably going to use an LoR intended for medical school. I hope it will work for the PCOM Biomed program as well.

Yes it will work. I used two that were meant for medical school

Reactions: 1 users
My biggest concern with this program is spending on the money and there is no linkage in a med school at the end of first year. I wonder how many people, after the first year, get into med school bc of this program, and don't have to do 2nd year

Hi guys! I am interested in applying to this program. However, I was wondering whether anyone used interfolio to send their letter of recommendations to PCOM. Also because I am applying to multiple schools how did you ask your professors to address the letter? Is every letter addressed to each school individually or just a general one i.e. Dear Graduate admissions Office?

I am concerned about the money and no linkage associated with this program as well. I am torn between doing a DIY postbac starting this summer or this SMP at PCOM-GA in the fall. My stats are 3.1 cgpa/2.9 sgpa. I believe I need a strong upward trend of undergrad grades because medical schools are going to compare my undergrad gpa to other applicants. Sigh I just don't know...

We have had some people WL in the Biomed program and placed on hold waiting got semester grades

So I am ready to send my LoR from Interfolio to the program? Do I just send it to the preset address that Interfolio has for PCOM or do I need to / can I specify it going to a certain address?

The address they have. Everything goes to Philly for both campuses