PCOM-GA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you so much for that. I got the delayed letter after my interview and was really bummed.

Members don't see this ad.

I think the comittee may be meeting today (or Wed?). We might hear back at the end of this week. :eek:

Good luck to those of you waiting!

Also, there was ample parking. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!!

Did you apply late or were they waiting for your updated MCAT scores?

Thanks! I took the mcat for the first time in January so my file was just recently completed.

any acceptances from march interviews yet....or delays?

Something should be coming to you soon. I received a delay, postmarked 3/19. Received 3/20. Interviewed 3/12.

They are on spring break this week, so I was going to call back Monday to see when interviews end since they're still sending invites.

What type of curriculum does PCOM-GA use? just lecture or a mixture?

I interviewed on 3/13. Still waiting on my mail... Ishhh. This is nerve wrecking.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviews end on the 2nd. Next Monday. They told me that they should be sending out everything within three weeks, so we should all know by the end of April. Good luck guys!

What type of curriculum does PCOM-GA use? just lecture or a mixture?

From my understanding, they have an integrated curriculum taught through system-based learning. It's predominately lecture with some problem-based learning and clinical study. Hope I'm not too off track, but it's not 100% lecture for sure...thank goodness! :cool:

Interviews end on the 2nd. Next Monday. They told me that they should be sending out everything within three weeks, so we should all know by the end of April. Good luck guys!

Wooo Hoooo! Great news! Thanks and Best of Luck to you too!

That's awesome!Now hopefully we all got in, wouldn't that be just effin amazing! Our tour guide student told us that their interview to acceptance rate is pretty high. Hopefully she is right :/

Amen. I'm with you, broseph :)
Will you please let me know when you get your mail?... Its tuesday and they mailed it early last week. Hopefully if we get accepted we have enough time to "accept" it. Ugh snail mail!

From my understanding, they have an integrated curriculum taught through system-based learning. It's predominately lecture with some problem-based learning and clinical study. Hope I'm not too off track, but it's not 100% lecture for sure...thank goodness! :cool:

It's systems-based, but it is mostly lecture with the exceptions of OMM lab, primary care skills lab, and anatomy/neuro labs.

First year sections are:
1st term-SPOM (anatomy, embryology, histology)
2nd term-CMBM (cell bio, biochem, micro, immuno, pharm, path)
3rd term-Neuro (anatomy, pharm, path, embryo...everything brain).

Path and pharm are pretty much a part of every course from CMBM throughout the rest of the curriculum. In addition, radiology is worked into virtually every section.

Second year sections are:

1st term-CPR (everything cardio, pulmonary, and renal), psych
2nd term-GI, Reproduction, Endocrine, Emergency medicine(review of a lot of clinical stuff)
3rd term- Musculoskeletal & skin, Life stages (geriatrics and peds), surgery & EENT

All of the second year course continue with integrating path, pharm, and radiology into their respective sections.

In addiiton, Primary care skills (PCS) and OMM are year long courses in both 1st and 2nd year. They go along pretty much with the main courses. In 1st year there is another year long course, Preventive and Community-based Medicine (PCBM) which covers a lot of the behavioral science topics. Second year has another year long course added this year called CRIBS (Clinical Research in Basic Sciences).....it's kind of a joke and a waste of time, but it posses under a guise of assisting with board review. It may be a beneficial course in the future, but most students don't take it seriously at this point.

It's systems-based, but it is mostly lecture with the exceptions of OMM lab, primary care skills lab, and anatomy/neuro labs.

Thanks for elaborating and for the heads up! I kind of fell in love with the curriculum set up and 3-terms calendar. I hear they are enforcing their attendance policy for lectures. If you don't mind, what's the student consensus about that around campus?

Something should be coming to you soon. I received a delay, postmarked 3/19. Received 3/20. Interviewed 3/12.

They are on spring break this week, so I was going to call back Monday to see when interviews end since they're still sending invites.
How did you receive your mail so early? I still havent received mine and I interviewed on the 13th. Live in tampa, FL. Contemplating if I should email Trena soon.

Thanks for elaborating and for the heads up! I kind of fell in love with the curriculum set up and 3-terms calendar. I hear they are enforcing their attendance policy for lectures. If you don't mind, what's the student consensus about that around campus?

The curriculum "setup" is good, but they're making a few changes for the 2nd year schedule in the future that I think will be beneficial for future students.

Attendance is required for all lab sessions (PCS, OMM, Anatomy, Neuro) per the PCOM attendance policy. Course directors can make attendance policies for their course (just like many other medical schools). Two of our course directors this year has elected to make attendance mandatory for guest lecturers for their courses. This is a reasonable thing to do as poor attendance reflects poorly on the school. Many 2nd years tend to check out mentally around January/February to start studying for boards....so sometimes, we complain a little more than what is necessary.

Overall, I'm really happy with my decision to come here and I wouldn't change my decision if I could. Med school is tough and tortuous no matter where you go...you just have to suck it up, do well, and pursue your goals.

How did you receive your mail so early? I still havent received mine and I interviewed on the 13th. Live in tampa, FL. Contemplating if I should email Trena soon.

The only explanation is that I'm IS, and mail travels at lightning speeds in the metro area ;). I feel your frustration though, however, it's only been two weeks...that's not bad at all compared to most schools.

If you don't want to feel like you're hassling Trena, you could call the general line to the Admissions Office...maybe someone else around there knows when letters were sent out?

Thanks,just a little curious. When I was there I got the feeling that people don't attend lectures regularly and was then informed about the "change" in policy. I mean, it is super convenient to just play the lectures back at a later time, so it was no surprise that students often play hooky.

The only explanation is that I'm IS, and mail travels at lightning speeds in the metro area ;). I feel your frustration though, however, it's only been two weeks...that's not bad at all compared to most schools.

If you don't want to feel like you're hassling Trena, you could call the general line to the Admissions Office...maybe someone else around there knows when letters were sent out?
Well they had told me that all letters were sent out, and that I should be receiving something, either a delay or acceptance I guess. I did email her today, and she said she would wait until Monday, so that would be two whole weeks I guess. Lets see, I just wanted to make sure I do not miss the deadline to "accept" it if I do get accepted.
But yes.... man this process taught me how to be patient lol. You said you got a delay? Good luck! Hopefully it will good news for all soon :) (Even though that's too much to ask for)

Thanks,just a little curious. When I was there I got the feeling that people don't attend lectures regularly and was then informed about the "change" in policy. I mean, it is super convenient to just play the lectures back at a later time, so it was no surprise that students often play hooky.

Nah, it's not about skipping or being convenient. Some people go, some people don't. Students should do what helps them succeed. The students that just skip class to skip class and don't put in the time, don't do well. You have to be disciplined and do what work whats for you. Don't be mislead and think anything is easier...med school is tough

But yes.... man this process taught me how to be patient lol. You said you got a delay? Good luck! Hopefully it will good news for all soon :) (Even though that's too much to ask for)

Lol. I feel you. When you are expecting it, the wait is much harsher. It's a good thing she let you know something. They've been on point about that.

A certain school I applied to, which will remain nameless (ha!), hasn't sent out anything to anyone since January and gives the same generic response to any who call/email/visit to check in on their status.

But thanks for the luck! It's welcomed by the caseloads! And I most certainly wish the same for you! Let us know when the snail truck finally arrives!

Nah, it's not about skipping or being convenient. Some people go, some people don't. Students should do what helps them succeed. The students that just skip class to skip class and don't put in the time, don't do well. You have to be disciplined and do what work whats for you. Don't be mislead and think anything is easier...med school is tough

Of course! Don't get me wrong, I'm not implying that anything about medical school is easy or that anyone is slacking. But it's a fact that people have varying learning niches. For some, if they don't have to be in the classroom to learn the material...they won't be, especially when they have access to the entire lecture at their fingertips.

I, for one, am a class attender. The environment helps to keep me focused.

Lol. I feel you. When you are expecting it, the wait is much harsher. It's a good thing she let you know something. They've been on point about that.

A certain school I applied to, which will remain nameless (ha!), hasn't sent out anything to anyone since January and gives the same generic response to any who call/email/visit to check in on their status.

But thanks for the luck! It's welcomed by the caseloads! And I most certainly wish the same for you! Let us know when the snail truck finally arrives!
Woof! I will be stalking the mail man.... Do you know how the delay works? I read that interviews are over the 2nd, so hopefully everyone will know a few weeks within then. Yes, I am anxious, I feel like my interview was not that amazing as I had hoped it to be.. it was sooo short :( This is my first choice, so the wait is getting harder by the second :/

Woof! I will be stalking the mail man.... Do you know how the delay works? I read that interviews are over the 2nd, so hopefully everyone will know a few weeks within then. Yes, I am anxious, I feel like my interview was not that amazing as I had hoped it to be.. it was sooo short :( This is my first choice, so the wait is getting harder by the second :/

I have the same info as you on the delay situation, and I've decided to take the letter verbatim to maintain my optimism and sanity! lol About your interview, I'm sure you did fine. We were told from the start not to stress if it was short & not to get all excited if it's lengthy....that doesn't necessarily mean anything...they're trying to get a feel for who truly you are.

Thank goodness it's only a matter of time before all of this is over! Sigh..I'm sure going to miss dreaming about envelopes of varying sizes and colors and contents...NoT!

I have the same info as you on the delay situation, and I've decided to take the letter verbatim to maintain my optimism and sanity! lol About your interview, I'm sure you did fine. We were told from the start not to stress if it was short & not to get all excited if it's lengthy....that doesn't necessarily mean anything...they're trying to get a feel for who truly you are.

Thank goodness it's only a matter of time before all of this is over! Sigh..I'm sure going to miss dreaming about envelopes of varying sizes and colors and contents...NoT!
hahahah... I hear you. Sanity? What is that? I lost that a long time ago when I started this process! Yeah, its kinda like you over analyze every thing that went "wrong." I dream about it too!!!!! hahahhaa poor subconscious! Yes!! I know!! can't wait till its all over, and we are ACCEPTED! #Staypositive :)

Anybody thats been accepted this year know how much the deposits are and when they are due?

I got accepted back in December. I had like a month to pay $250 to hold my seat then $1500 is due by April 16th.

Hey guys, I have been checking in here from time to time. I will be applying this year to PCOM-GA and I had a quick question. How do you prove you Ga residence. MCG was tax forms and junk, Mercer was a probate court form, so I was wondering how PCOM-Ga did it so I could get prepared. Thanks in advance.

I wish all you that are still waiting the best of luck! I know how elated you will all feel when you get the GOOD NEWS!

Today is the last day of interviews. I wonder how long before we hear back. And did we ( those who interviewed in March) interview for waitlist spots? Does anyone know how full they are?The interview was so quick, some people were done in 5 minutes. It makes me nervous. :confused::scared:

I wish the office had been more forthcoming about this hold business. It's too late now as I already withdrew given the email correspondence I exchanged with the office. It appeared from the cryptic email answers that I was just being put on a post-interview hold until who knows when. I was frankly done playing that game and under another deadline. It would be nice if the office would give all students the same information. In any case, glad my wait-list or acceptance spot went to someone else! Best of luck to everyone!

I received a hold. How do you know that it is at least wait listed?

Does anyone know when the committee will meet next and decide on March interviewers? I hear they meet on wed but idk if thats this wed or next. And are people getting phone calls right away if accepted or do we have to wait until the mail comes?

I am not sure when they meet but in my interview last week, they said I would know something in three weeks. That means there are two more weeks before we hear something. They also said we will only hear via mail, for legal reasons. I've still been running to the mailbox everyday though.

Has anybody heard anything? My nerves are shot!:scared:

I spoke with Trena a couple of days ago and she mentioned that the decisions that were suppose to take place in the last couple of weeks had been delayed. Those people who received a delay/hold should be sent a decision towards the end of next week. Add in the fact that it may take longer for a mailed decision to arrive, I am guessing it'll be 2 weeks till we hear back. I think the reason for the delay might be that they have fewer seats left in the class and want to take into consideration all the late interviewers and the people that were put on hold way back at the same time as well as people who have been accepted but may not attend (to let seats open up).

Sigh, who knows what goes through admission committees' minds anyway?

I don't pretend to have any insider information, but I will say that deposits (the big one) are due on April 15th. Some people will simply not pay them, without giving any written notice to the school beforehand that they are declining their seat. I'm sure the admissions committee anticipates this to some degree, so it might benefit you all that the decisions are being delayed. My logic would follow that more spots will open up after April 15th (when they have a clearer idea of how many people are currently planning on attending in the fall), and therefore seats can be allotted accordingly.

The waiting is terrible though. You guys definitely have my sympathies! Just keep your head up and plug along until this terrible process is over. Good luck everyone...I hope those that know this is really the school for them get that letter soon.

I spoke with Trena a couple of days ago and she mentioned that the decisions that were suppose to take place in the last couple of weeks had been delayed. Those people who received a delay/hold should be sent a decision towards the end of next week. Add in the fact that it may take longer for a mailed decision to arrive, I am guessing it'll be 2 weeks till we hear back. I think the reason for the delay might be that they have fewer seats left in the class and want to take into consideration all the late interviewers and the people that were put on hold way back at the same time as well as people who have been accepted but may not attend (to let seats open up).

Sigh, who knows what goes through admission committees' minds anyway?

I don't pretend to have any insider information, but I will say that deposits (the big one) are due on April 15th. Some people will simply not pay them, without giving any written notice to the school beforehand that they are declining their seat. I'm sure the admissions committee anticipates this to some degree, so it might benefit you all that the decisions are being delayed. My logic would follow that more spots will open up after April 15th (when they have a clearer idea of how many people are currently planning on attending in the fall), and therefore seats can be allotted accordingly.

The waiting is terrible though. You guys definitely have my sympathies! Just keep your head up and plug along until this terrible process is over. Good luck everyone...I hope those that know this is really the school for them get that letter soon.
you do mean the ppl who have gotten no decisions yet right? jw

This is worse than the MCAT wait. I've been praying so much, I thing God is tired of hearing from me, lol. For the others that are waiting, do you have other acceptances or on waitlists? Does it make it any easier to wait, you think? My lease is up next month and I have to give notice by the end of the month. Wondering what to do.

This is worse than the MCAT wait. I've been praying so much, I thing God is tired of hearing from me, lol. For the others that are waiting, do you have other acceptances or on waitlists? Does it make it any easier to wait, you think? My lease is up next month and I have to give notice by the end of the month. Wondering what to do.

Something should be in the mail by Monday. Keep praying. He is listening.

you do mean the ppl who have gotten no decisions yet right? jw

Sorry, I only just saw this. They are done conducting interviews, so I meant for everyone (both those who are on the hold list and those who haven't heard back yet at all).

At an event this weekend, we were told the hold list will start moving starting Monday and will continue all the way until the 1st or 2nd day of classes (historically, this has been the case). I assume the timing of this has something to do with deposits having recently been due. But again, I have no insider information and do not want to spread falsities online (something we were warned about).

Everyone keep your head up! I'll keep good thoughts out for you all.