Penn c/o 2016 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'll join with my rusty violin skills.

Members don't see this ad.

Tis true... just got my rejection. 2 years of a masters to be crapped on.

At least you didn't say your "rusty trombone" skills. :lol:

By the way, I don't actually play the cello. The comment was pure artistic liberties taken for effect. Just a disclaimer. Would hate to tarnish my hyper-macho reputation. Thanks. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I too am deeply sorry for all those who have been rejected, including myself. This in no way implies that we are not cut out to be vets. Let this experience fuel our desire even more. We will get there someday whether its this year at another school or the next. Good luck everyone :)

Will there be an official "Taking Down of the Socks" ceremony to commence? I play a mean cello. +pity+

At least you didn't say your "rusty trombone" skills. :lol:

By the way, I don't actually play the cello. The comment was pure artistic liberties taken for effect. Just a disclaimer. Would hate to tarnish my hyper-macho reputation. Thanks. :)

On a level, this is disappointing - I was hoping we could get a band together for a New Orleans Jazz Funeral walk down Pine Street. Would have been quite the conversation for the city! We could even get a flag to carry...

images

still haven't received my rejection. now i'm just annoyed.
i know i'm rejected but i feel like they're just being rude by not sending me the official notice.

GRRRRR. misdirected aggravation.

i know i'm rejected but i feel like they're just being rude by not sending me the official notice.

:thumbup:

Call them and inform them that you are rescinding your application.

You are right on the money, zoovet. We all know what's coming and they don't have the decency to let us know.

Sock funeral to come. I'll work on costumes.

I'm getting closer and closer to making a personal appearance in order to demand a proper letter on bond weight paper. Common, kids... Really?!?

Members don't see this ad :)
So are these rejections going out via email? Or snail mail? Because I've yet to receive either.

So are these rejections going out via email? Or snail mail? Because I've yet to receive either.

Email. Seems to be in batches.

But at least I've heard from everyone!!! Now to interview at those schools and wait...

Wow, some of you people are unbelievable.

Guess now you can go over to the threads of all the other schools' who have not yet sent out all their rejection notices and bitch about how all those other schools are "rude," "have no decency," are "ridiculous," and ought to be full of "shame." :rolleyes:

Wow, some of you people are unbelievable.

Guess now you can go over to the threads of all the other schools' who have not yet sent out all their rejection notices and bitch about how all those other schools are "rude," "have no decency," are "ridiculous," and ought to be full of "shame." :rolleyes:

Dude. Just sayin you don't know what you're talking about.

People were hearing about acceptances to UPENN since, December? January?

It specifically says in their email that theyd let us know as soon as we weren't competitive. I personally wasted 300 dollars on a class for them. If theyd let me know sooner I wasnt qualified, I'd be much happier.

NOT to say Upenn is an awful school. It's a wonderful school. Just their system of notifying is awful.

Don't speak up unless you know what you're talking about.

Just realized that came out mean. I'm just pointing out our side.

Dude. Just sayin you don't know what you're talking about.

People were hearing about acceptances to UPENN since, December? January?

It specifically says in their email that theyd let us know as soon as we weren't competitive. I personally wasted 300 dollars on a class for them. If theyd let me know sooner I wasnt qualified, I'd be much happier.

NOT to say Upenn is an awful school. It's a wonderful school. Just their system of notifying is awful.

And most of us already knew on Monday we were rejected, hell we knew weeks ago really. But we found out Monday they officially made all decisions, and it still took them until today to send emails? :laugh: Butt out of our inside jokes! You have no idea what's going on in our sock world!
I think you might just be taking us a little too seriously. ;)

Last edited:
Guys, I know the admissions cycle makes everyone a little crazy (hell, I stalked the mailman), but I think this is taking it a little far. Take a deep breath, and take heart in the fact that you weren't rejected because you were still in the running for an interview -- and out of 1000 applicants, that's pretty darn impressive. The folks in admissions were probably waiting to see if someone canceled last minute so they could potentially offer you an interview spot.

And FYI, my guess is that a few members of the admissions committee follow this board pretty closely (and perhaps even post on it)...and I would imagine that it really isn't too hard to figure out who people are when you have their entire life (aka application) in front of you.

Just food for thought about future professionalism and common sense. ;)

Guys, I know the admissions cycle makes everyone a little crazy (hell, I stalked the mailman), but I think this is taking it a little far. Take a deep breath, and take heart in the fact that you weren't rejected because you were still in the running for an interview -- and out of 1000 applicants, that's pretty darn impressive. The folks in admissions were probably waiting to see if someone canceled last minute so they could potentially offer you an interview spot.

And FYI, my guess is that a few members of the admissions committee follow this board pretty closely (and perhaps even post on it)...and I would imagine that it really isn't too hard to figure out who people are when you have their entire life (aka application) in front of you.

Just food for thought about future professionalism and common sense. ;)

I guess you're right. It's just that turns out it woulda been better if they rejected me earlier.

I'm assuming we are all ranting to release the stress. I personally don't think I'll be applying again to UPENN (was waitlisted for 4 schools and have several interview options). I just think it's an odd way of doing it.

CONGRATS TO EVERYONE WHO GOT IN/INTERVIEWS!!! That's what is important, right?

While I'm not glad that you all were rejected, I am glad that you finally *got* your rejections.

After playing the last WW game with some of you, I am very sad that we won't get to be classmates. :(

C'mon!! It's just a message board. Let people vent a bit. Some of these "We'ers" or whatever they call themselves, are really sensitive! :laugh:

While I'm not glad that you all were rejected, I am glad that you finally *got* your rejections.

After playing the last WW game with some of you, I am very sad that we won't get to be classmates. :(

I know, Soops!! You were the changing play. We began winning when you spoke up :)

We are all going to be such great vets with our cleverness!!! :D

:thumbup: Ben and Me.

Also, as much as the waiting sucks, I think Penn's admissions process is nice because it is dependent on how the interviews go. Other schools may send out rejections sooner, but Penn's system is dependent on how the year goes. There were people who were rejectioned early on from Penn. If you did not hear from them til now, it is because you were still considered a potential person to interview. If the people they interviewed did not live up to their expectations, or if the number of people accepting their offer to matriculate decreased more than predicted, any of you could still be called later on. They work really hard filtering through the applications based not just on stats, but also a lot on experience and letters of recommendations. Other schools that reject people early usually focus more on stats and that is how they can "weed" so many people out so fast. Some schools even admit to having phases that first only include looking at your GRE and GPA. Now, I would consider that a waste of money.
Maybe just consider the full process before you insult a school.

This time is stressful for everyone though. Sorry to anyone who didn't make it, and congrats to people who have interviews at other schools.

...has anyone else not heard yet? ...i thought maybe my rejection went elsewhere but i checked and my november email from dr. keiter definitely went to the address i've been checking...
i mean, i guess ultimately it doesn't matter. it would just be nice to have a notification..

C'mon!! It's just a message board. Let people vent a bit.

Exactly... we're only joking around (at least I know I am). So :p:p:p!!!

And I don't feel like I am "insulting a school", just having some fun with the other lonely socks out there :D

Exactly... we're only joking around (at least I know I am). So :p:p:p!!!

And I don't feel like I am "insulting a school", just having some fun with the other lonely socks out there :D

Ahem. Sock DRAWER

Well yeah, but my Penn sock isn't in the drawer... it got eaten by my dog.

My pink penn sock got dumped in the water by my pink-loving kitten.

I really don't know why she does this!!! Hence why I have to REALLY close the drawer.

My pink penn sock got dumped in the water by my pink-loving kitten.

I really don't know why she does this!!! Hence why I have to REALLY close the drawer.

My sock was not acted favorably upon!

:laugh: Best of luck tomorrow!!!! You will ROCK it!! :thumbup:

Thanks!!!! :love:

See, I really don't have any hard feelings about Upenn. I am still debating on dropping the stats bc it's UTTERLY annoying.

Oo! I put tagalongs in my bag! So much happier now!

Thanks!!!! :love:

See, I really don't have any hard feelings about Upenn. I am still debating on dropping the stats bc it's UTTERLY annoying.

Oo! I put tagalongs in my bag! So much happier now!

No hard feelings here either. Just fun times. Enjoy your tagalongs! Safe travels! Let us know how it goes tomorrow (maybe on a different thread :laugh:).

FWIW, I doubt the members of the adcom would be too upset about any of these posts. It is an applicants prerogative to complain about the process. That is par for the course. Of course Penn does their best, and no system is perfect.... but let the poor socks vent a little. I've just watched my wife go through PhD admissions, and everyone she knows complains as well, and the process is just as horrible for them.

There is no right way to dash the dreams of the many applicants who would be wonderful but couldn't get let in....

FWIW, I doubt the members of the adcom would be too upset about any of these posts. It is an applicants prerogative to complain about the process. That is par for the course. Of course Penn does their best, and no system is perfect.... but let the poor socks vent a little. I've just watched my wife go through PhD admissions, and everyone she knows complains as well, and the process is just as horrible for them.

There is no right way to dash the dreams of the many applicants who would be wonderful but couldn't get let in....

You need to continue the tradition of calling everyone little lost socks.

Big props to vacameanscow. She made an awful process actually fun

I know exactly what I'm talking about; have both friends and family who went through this exact process, and not one of the bunch was as petty as some of you. Of course rejections hurt, and of course you all knew the way Penn does things. It's not "awful," it's how they do it. It's no secret they reject a few right off the bat and the rest at the end of the cycle.

The sense of entitlement to not get your little noses out of joint, well, it's just rather striking, that's all. Been reading this forum for years as family members went through app cycles and this attitude really stood out this year. "Shameful"? "No decency?" Right, but it's not Penn.

. o system is perfect.... but let the poor socks vent a little.

Of course, but don't you see the difference in venting & these classless comments?

I've just watched my wife go through PhD admissions, and everyone she knows complains as well, and the process is just as horrible for them.

Is your wife out on the internet saying awful things about the schools to which she applied?

That's my point. All schools reject many simply for lack of space. All you have to do is read these forums to know that, but I haven't seen anyone else getting so classless about it as a few here.

It's because I know that heartbreak and frankly want to see EVERYBODY get in:laugh: because it's difficult and you've all worked so hard. 99% of the applicants on SDN take both admissions & rejections with class and maturity, so the few exceptions really stand out. And yeah, having them be of all people the Penn candidates...well, that immature & snotty attitude is certainly not what I think those who attend, or who interviewed at Penn, experienced while there.

Of course, but don't you see the difference in venting & these classless comments?

Is your wife out on the internet saying awful things about the schools to which she applied?

That's my point. All schools reject many simply for lack of space. All you have to do is read these forums to know that, but I haven't seen anyone else getting so classless about it as a few here.

It's because I know that heartbreak and frankly want to see EVERYBODY get in:laugh: because it's difficult and you've all worked so hard. 99% of the applicants on SDN take both admissions & rejections with class and maturity, so the few exceptions really stand out. And yeah, having them be of all people the Penn candidates...well, that immature & snotty attitude is certainly not what I think those who attend, or who interviewed at Penn, experienced while there.

Well, I agreed with Ben and me that my comment was a little outta line. Hell, I even said so myself right after I posted it. No need to bring it up again if I already say "GUESS WHAT! YOU'RE RIGHT"

And I personally didnt say they are shameful. I just think it's an awful process. I have NOTHING against Upenn. UTK apparently did the same thing with the long wait. I, personally, would rather be rejected right off the bat then be kinda sorta considered.

My opinion though. :)

Again... you are taking our comments way too far. It was like a huge inside joke, so I can understand where you are coming from being that you weren't a part of it, but honestly, why do you even care? I had fun with my other socks and that's all I care about :D

Again... you are taking our comments way too far. It was like a huge inside joke, so I can understand where you are coming from being that you weren't a part of it, but honestly, why do you even care? I had fun with my other socks and that's all I care about :D

Me too!! I think I verbally said to my mother "yay!!! Last rejection EVAH"

:thumbup: Ben and Me.

Also, as much as the waiting sucks, I think Penn's admissions process is nice because it is dependent on how the interviews go. Other schools may send out rejections sooner, but Penn's system is dependent on how the year goes. There were people who were rejectioned early on from Penn. If you did not hear from them til now, it is because you were still considered a potential person to interview. If the people they interviewed did not live up to their expectations, or if the number of people accepting their offer to matriculate decreased more than predicted, any of you could still be called later on. They work really hard filtering through the applications based not just on stats, but also a lot on experience and letters of recommendations. Other schools that reject people early usually focus more on stats and that is how they can "weed" so many people out so fast. Some schools even admit to having phases that first only include looking at your GRE and GPA. Now, I would consider that a waste of money.
Maybe just consider the full process before you insult a school.

This time is stressful for everyone though. Sorry to anyone who didn't make it, and congrats to people who have interviews at other schools.

+pity+

Lots of posts over on the Davis thread about how the school makes applicants wait so long to hear anything. Lots of of joking around and frustrations being vented. Only thing missing is the current DavisWe students crying about people pickin' on their beloved school. Sorry, but you guys need to lighten up a bit. The whole "how dare you say anything even remotely bad about my school" thing is quite silly. :laugh:

+pity+

Lots of posts over on the Davis thread about how the school makes applicants wait so long to hear anything. Lots of of joking around and frustrations being vented. Only thing missing is the current DavisWe students crying about people pickin' on their beloved school. Sorry, but you guys need to lighten up a bit. The whole "how dare you say anything even remotely bad about my school" thing is quite silly. :laugh:
Just when I thought it was all over.....

FWIW, my first post ever was complaining about UCDavis admissions and I got flamed.