Penn Decisions Online!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can the person who got an acceptance package in the mail please reply? So weird....

All these cover-ups, etc... Penn, you've already made your decisions, why the heck can't we get them? Just tell me I'm waitlisted 2nd tier and let me get on with my life. Now you're going to make me wait until next week.

Sorry guys, had to vent.

So, my comment on the whole someone receiving their admissions packet already was based on this post on page one of this thread:

"Where's the page to check your app status? My friend just got his acceptance packet today...exactly 8 weeks after he interviewed."

Perhaps that person was referring to Penn State, though. either that or (s)he's crazy.

I had the congratulations, Matt thing before and I had access to the Penn Preview tab... but now, my "interview is completed". Nice coverup Penn!

Members don't see this ad :)
Man, I wish I saw this post yesterday during the "leak." Anyway, as it is, I interviewed at Penn in October. Didn't know about the status page thing yesterday, so I don't know what it was before (regarding any blank pages or not, accept/reject). My status page is as it was: "interview completed." I can access the Fin Aid checklist (nothing completed even though I've had the SAR from FAFSA since 2/24/05). Does everyone get that Fin Aid checklist?

I hope it's not like HMS all over again. Penn seems more tech-savvy.

I also can see the financial aid checklist. lemme know who else can too

MK

The financial aid checklist has been up for a long time. I saw mine way back in February. Not a new thing... at least on my page.

where is the finaid checklist? i have a finaid tab but i dont feel like its a checklist?

edit: just kidding, i found it!

you should have a financial aid tab. Click on that, then there is a "click here to see your financial aid status page" or something like that.. it's right on the top of all the blocks with "general financial aid info" and "scholarships", etc...

Maybe they didn't receive your stuff yet if they didn't give you a status page yet.

ok so is this a hoax about last night? what would have caused this to happen? server failure? will it happen again 2night at 1? ;)

UDbiochem said:
you should have a financial aid tab. Click on that, then there is a "click here to see your financial aid status page" or something like that.. it's right on the top of all the blocks with "general financial aid info" and "scholarships", etc...

Maybe they didn't receive your stuff yet if they didn't give you a status page yet.
I just read the whole three pages of posts with my heart pounding because my status page still looks like the original. And then I see that all of the status page changes have been reverted back anyway!! The only night that I come back from the bars and don't check SDN and something important happened! Damnit, Penn, give it to us straight.

Yeah, whoever sees the real status page next week...should make a new thread that says "Penn decisions FO REAL". The hoax scared us all... except maybe those people who already saw "congrats". (Congrats to all you guys :thumbup: )

the1111gal said:
ok so is this a hoax about last night? what would have caused this to happen? server failure? will it happen again 2night at 1? ;)

You can bet that there will be at least one SDNer who is patroling the penn status page at all hours of the night, to see if it happens again :laugh:

I think that they probably were testing the website last night, purposefully late (to prevent a whole bunch of people checking....forgetting about SDN of course!). Ah well, at least it should be <1 week now :D

Treg

I hope that test last night was incomplete (i.e. not everyone that was accepted had changed status pages). I checked last night and got a blank page with only 2 tabs. Perhaps the Ides of March--the date when med schools have to notify AAMC of their acceptances--has something to do with the Penn leak..

Members don't see this ad :)
boardchic said:
I just read the whole three pages of posts with my heart pounding because my status page still looks like the original. And then I see that all of the status page changes have been reverted back anyway!! The only night that I come back from the bars and don't check SDN and something important happened! Damnit, Penn, give it to us straight.
haha, i feel the exact same way!

krelian said:
I hope that test last night was incomplete (i.e. not everyone that was accepted had changed status pages). I checked last night and got a blank page with only 2 tabs. Perhaps the Ides of March--the date when med schools have to notify AAMC of their acceptances--has something to do with the Penn leak..

I thought that date was May 15th...?? :confused: *sigh* the confusion never ends, does it.

Okay, so this thread needs to be closed. Deleted. Nixed.

I really can't take these heart attacks, folks!

And WHY OH WHY wasn't I on SDN at 1 am!? WHY?!

To hijak for a moment: Although I completed my fafsa in late Feb., Penn states that it hasn't yet received it (according to their financial aid page) - has this happened to anyone else? Does this warrant a phone call?

Once someone answers my question, then we can close this thread. But only after I get an answer.

ajt2003 said:
To hijak for a moment: Although I completed my fafsa in late Feb., Penn states that it hasn't yet received it (according to their financial aid page) - has this happened to anyone else? Does this warrant a phone call?

Once someone answers my question, then we can close this thread. But only after I get an answer.
The same thing happened to me... I completed my FAFSA awhile ago and the Penn page says it still hasn't been received. I'm just going to wait and see what happens. I don't want to go through a hassle if I'm rejected anyway.

ajt2003 said:
Okay, so this thread needs to be closed. Deleted. Nixed.

I really can't take these heart attacks, folks!

And WHY OH WHY wasn't I on SDN at 1 am!? WHY?!

I got the answer to the fafsa question as I have been trying to stay diligent in the financial aid war. I have been emailing someone in the financial aid office and to answer my question (same as yours):

"As for the FAFSA, if you chose Penn as one of the 6 schools you could have it sent to then you will be fine. We can not track the FAFSA until acceptances are made and those students are put onto our system. So, no applicant can go to the status page to make sure we have their FAFSA until after (and if) they are accepted."

Not sure how much I like the "(and if)" but this seems to be logical. Why should they do extra work if they don't need to right?

jdovez said:
I got the answer to the fafsa question as I have been trying to stay diligent in the financial aid war. I have been emailing someone in the financial aid office and to answer my question (same as yours):

"As for the FAFSA, if you chose Penn as one of the 6 schools you could have it sent to then you will be fine. We can not track the FAFSA until acceptances are made and those students are put onto our system. So, no applicant can go to the status page to make sure we have their FAFSA until after (and if) they are accepted."

Not sure how much I like the "(and if)" but this seems to be logical. Why should they do extra work if they don't need to right?

Thanks for the info! So now my question is: are there any applicants who have received confirmation (according to their online status check) that Penn received their fafsa - and if so could that mean that they're accepted and those of us who have not yet had our FAFSA received are waitlisted?

Just thought I'd add to the speculation...I'm specifically asking those who took advantage of last night's leak (mateodaspy, treg, bunnyhop)...inquiring minds want to know! :p

I entirely missed this! I actually tried to do something productive with my life yesterday, and this happens! I am now going to be on SDN till the 31st. Permanently.

GuyLaroche said:
I entirely missed this! I actually tried to do something productive with my life yesterday, and this happens! I am now going to be on SDN till the 31st. Permanently.

the one thing i took away from the harvard thread, was that ignorance is bliss. consider yourself lucky...

i did not see an acceptance or rejection, but the severe anxiety of logging on this morning killed some much needed neurons.

Mateodaspy said:
So, my comment on the whole someone receiving their admissions packet already was based on this post on page one of this thread:

"Where's the page to check your app status? My friend just got his acceptance packet today...exactly 8 weeks after he interviewed."

Perhaps that person was referring to Penn State, though. either that or (s)he's crazy.

I had the congratulations, Matt thing before and I had access to the Penn Preview tab... but now, my "interview is completed". Nice coverup Penn!

That was me...Am I completely out of the loop? Does Penn refer to 2 different schools? If so, I'm soooo sorry for the confusion. I know a little mistake like that can cause a heart attack in this process. The school I'm referring to is Penn State I believe in Hershey, PA. If that's the wrong school for this thread, my apologies.

Csv321 said:
That was me...Am I completely out of the loop? Does Penn refer to 2 different schools? If so, I'm soooo sorry for the confusion. I know a little mistake like that can cause a heart attack in this process. The school I'm referring to is Penn State I believe in Hershey, PA. If that's the wrong school for this thread, my apologies.

Hey, it's okay. I actually find that extremely funny...all those people (myself included) out there completely freaking out over a nickname mistake...

University of Pennsylvania sometimes is UPenn or Penn
Penn State is PSU or Penn

Thanks for the clear up though

ajt2003 said:
Thanks for the info! So now my question is: are there any applicants who have received confirmation (according to their online status check) that Penn received their fafsa - and if so could that mean that they're accepted and those of us who have not yet had our FAFSA received are waitlisted?

Just thought I'd add to the speculation...I'm specifically asking those who took advantage of last night's leak (mateodaspy, treg, bunnyhop)...inquiring minds want to know! :p

My FAFSA was not registered as received either last night or today (although it was only processed last Tuesday). Also, I did not see the congratulations page, but I did have all of the tabs :)

Treg

Treg said:
My FAFSA was not registered as received either last night or today (although it was only processed last Tuesday). Also, I did not see the congratulations page, but I did have all of the tabs :)

Treg

Same...and a note about the "X" tab that sockandmittens and Treg posted about--Treg helped me clarify this, but that X tab only came up if you used Internet Explorer. I use Firefox and that X was never coming up, but when I tried the Penn page in IE, it showed the X. Strange.

I mentioned earlier that something similar to this happened last year--here's the link if anyone is interested. At least last year it was on an earlier time scale!!! *sigh*

coincidental said:
Hey, it's okay. I actually find that extremely funny...all those people (myself included) out there completely freaking out over a nickname mistake...

University of Pennsylvania sometimes is UPenn or Penn
Penn State is PSU or Penn

Thanks for the clear up though

Actually, we *never* call Penn State "Penn"... only Penn State or PSU. I think everyone here probably gets that now, haha. Oh and by the way, rumor has it that UPenn kids HATE when they get confused with Penn State...hmmm :laugh:

Nittany Lion said:
Actually, we *never* call Penn State "Penn"... only Penn State or PSU. I think everyone here probably gets that now, haha. Oh and by the way, rumor has it that UPenn kids HATE when they get confused with Penn State...hmmm :laugh:

yeah, to be honest, I've never really heard PSU called Penn...but I can see where they would be easily confused.

Aren't they funny. Yesterday the page was all wiped clean with my name and a "Not Accepted" and today they put everything back.

Well, didn't get an interview from them so it was kind of a "duh" moment.

iggyboop said:
Aren't they funny. Yesterday the page was all wiped clean with my name and a "Not Accepted" and today they put everything back.

Well, didn't get an interview from them so it was kind of a "duh" moment.

yeah, the penn bookstore used to sell a shirt that said, "Penn -- Not Penn State," and on the back, it said, "It's lonely at the top" with the insignias (or shields) of the ivy league schools.

That made me dislike Penn for, well, about ten years. Apparently the "top" is a bunch of you-know-whats.

elicash said:
yeah, the penn bookstore used to sell a shirt that said, "Penn -- Not Penn State," and on the back, it said, "It's lonely at the top" with the insignias (or shields) of the ivy league schools.

That made me dislike Penn for, well, about ten years. Apparently the "top" is a bunch of you-know-whats.

:mad: they're just jealous because we have more fun here :thumbup:

GuyLaroche said:

guylaroche, no kidding, when i was at home until 11 this morning, F5-ing this thread, and there was no word from you... ominously....I had this sense that GL had taken a step forward and was doing something better with his life than this message board--developing as a premed so to speak.... but i guess that will now wait until may or whenever everything is decided.

----
"Don't cry for me, Argentina"

the1111gal said:
anyone else hoping it happens again tonight?

I am definitely hopeful! Give me something, Penn! Are you listening???

:D Treg

I am so glad I missed this whole rollercoaster of emotions. Just now i saw he thread titled "Penn Decisions On-line" and wondered why I didn't have one; then i read the whole thread. Well at least those who saw for a few minutes that they were accepted can relax now. Congrats, and best of luck to everyone else.

Treg,
Didn't you see last night?! ;) I hear you only get a sneak peak once! ;)

the1111gal said:
Treg,
Didn't you see last night?! ;) I hear you only get a sneak peak once! ;)

Well, I didn't get any congratulations or balloons, just a blank screen with all 5 tabs. So, I am not counting my chickens just yet :D

:cool: Treg

Ignorance is bliss. It's very stressful not being quite sure your acceptance is for real, I want my acceptance back! Best of luck to everyone when we finally get the real deal.

sockandmittens said:
Ignorance is bliss. It's very stressful not being quite sure your acceptance is for real, I want my acceptance back! Best of luck to everyone when we finally get the real deal.

True, very true. If I had seen that little glitch, I would be going crazy with this countdown until Monday --whether my status was accepted or "not accepted." (I love how they write "not accepted" instead of "REJECTED.") At this point, I'm not getting my hopes up at all for myself.

But really, Congrats to you! It seems hopeful!

What happened to us? Have we all turned into night owls with the hopes of catching another Penn status page update? :laugh:

Treg

Treg said:
What happened to us? Have we all turned into night owls with the hopes of catching another Penn status page update? :laugh:

Possibly! I've developed a strategy for how to keep myself preoccupied till Sunday .... for now, I'll work on my thesis, and then Friday night I plan to see the Ring Two. Since Samara's face by itself scares me to my core, this should ensure that I will not be able to sleep for the next two nights--thus forcing me to work more on my thesis--AND am too preoccupied with every little noise I hear to be thinking about Penn. Whenever I actually see someone update SDN with the real-deal sequel to this thread, then I'll snap out of it :D

Any suggestions for other, less masochistic strategies are welcome, though I really do want to see if there's any elucidation on why that girl is so messed up!

bidster said:
Possibly! I've developed a strategy for how to keep myself preoccupied till Sunday ....
Well... let's see... today's St. Patrick's Day, so I plan to drink myself into a stupor. Then we have Friday night, always a good time to drink myself into a stupor. Then Saturday night I'm going to see Stella (David Wain, Michael Ian Black, and Michael Showalter, aka The State, aka the geniuses behind Wet Hot American Summer) perform -- another good time to drink myself into a stupor. And then Sunday, maybe I'll go for a run. Then once decisions go online, I'll either have a reason to celebrate (aka drink), mourn (aka drink), or wait more (aka drink). Who's with me?!

boardchic said:
Well... let's see... today's St. Patrick's Day, so I plan to drink myself into a stupor. Then we have Friday night, always a good time to drink myself into a stupor. Then Saturday night I'm going to see Stella (David Wain, Michael Ian Black, and Michael Showalter, aka The State, aka the geniuses behind Wet Hot American Summer) perform -- another good time to drink myself into a stupor. And then Sunday, maybe I'll go for a run. Then once decisions go online, I'll either have a reason to celebrate (aka drink), mourn (aka drink), or wait more (aka drink). Who's with me?!

Hmm...I like your plan - but will alcohol be involved? :laugh:

So as we approach the final few days, I have devised a plan. We should start a 24-hour relay type squad of SDNers for checking the status page. That way, one of us would be responsible for checking the website incessantly for only an hour or so, and then immediately post if the results are up. If we do this, we can each maintain the semblance of a normal life this weekend. Is anyone up for joining me? :laugh: :thumbup:

Treg

Treg said:
So as we approach the final few days, I have devised a plan. We should start a 24-hour relay type squad of SDNers for checking the status page. That way, one of us would be responsible for checking the website incessantly for only an hour or so, and then immediately post if the results are up. If we do this, we can each maintain the semblance of a normal life this weekend. Is anyone up for joining me? :laugh: :thumbup:

:laugh: we could call it the penn page patrol! The only problem is that *knowing* that someone is out there checking the page every hour would still mean maniacal SDN-checking for any potential updates. :p Unless Penn decides to be realllllllly nice and release decisions tomorrow or maybe even Saturday (if you're reading this Penn, pretty please??? we'll make our best puppy faces!), I don't think there's much hope for being normal human beings this weekend. ;)

[This is so sad... I don't feel so good now that the day is coming closer. I want to know, but I don't really. After all the rejections, I am not sure if I am strong enough for this anymore.

sweet- count me in for the squadron -> I can cover pretty much any waking hours, which lately has been including too many... dratted penn status page

the1111gal said:
8 mins till the 20th... :laugh:

In the email they sent out, didn't they say decisions would be posted starting monday the 21st? Why is there all this ballihoo hover the 20th? (I know suggested this would be the date pre-email, but now we got something from the horse's mouth, proverbially speaking of course). Am I missing something?

Yeah they said the week of the 21st...depends when the week starts according to them...Tv guide weeks start on sunday ;)
in any case, guess we'll find out soon enough.

Merit scholarship notifications will be posted in the "financial aid" tab next week along with acceptance/rejection notifications! yikes!

Also, I'm predicting that the status page changes will occur at midnight EST on Monday night -- exactly one week after the status pages were updated last week.

good luck everyone!