Penn Decisions Online!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm not *quite* in, but in the "top of tier 1" category!!! :) I have the penn preview tab and spoke to Gaye about it, so I'll still see some of you at Preview next month!! :) omg I'm still shaking....

For better or worse, I think the page leak was pretty prophetic....if you actually saw the congrats message, you got in. Blank page + penn preview tab = top of waitlist. Blank page otherwise = waitlist.

Good luck everyone!!! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

bidster said:
I'm not *quite* in, but in the "top of tier 1" category!!! :) I have the penn preview tab and spoke to Gaye about it, so I'll still see some of you at Preview next month!! :)

For better or worse, I think the page leak was pretty prophetic....if you actually saw the congrats message, you got in. Blank page + penn preview tab = top of waitlist. Blank page otherwise = waitlist.

HOLY ****. I'm IN!

I'm freaking out!!!!!

Congrats to all!!!! I've heard that top of tier 1 is as good as an acceptance.

bidster said:
I'm not *quite* in, but in the "top of tier 1" category!!! :) I have the penn preview tab and spoke to Gaye about it, so I'll still see some of you at Preview next month!! :)

Does it display "top of tier 1" on your status page or did you hear that from Gaye?

Members don't see this ad :)
kikkoman said:
Does it display "top of tier 1" on your status page or did you hear that from Gaye?

I have the bar that says "waitlist tier 1" and then this note:

The Committee on Admissions has a very strong interest in your application, and you will be one of the first candidates considered for admission. This is an exciting time and you have many decisions to make. We hope you remain interested in Penn.

When I spoke to her, she said it meant "top of tier 1"

bidster said:
I have the bar that says "waitlist tier 1" and then this note:

The Committee on Admissions has a very strong interest in your application, and you will be one of the first candidates considered for admission. This is an exciting time and you have many decisions to make. We hope you remain interested in Penn.

When I spoke to her, she said it meant "top of tier 1"

"The Committee on Admissions has a continuing interest in your application and we hope you remain interested in Penn."

that's my note... i guess it's crappier than the one you got, but I still want to go.

Please let us know of your continuing interest by completing the Wait List Response Form below. Changes in your status will be communicated by e-mail and on the status page.

Does this mean Im on the Top of Tier 1 as well?

I also have the Penn Preview tab and the ability to attend.

I dont get this, Im Waitlisted, do Waitlisted people usually attend these weekends as well?

i'm in!!

congrats to all and good luck to those still waiting ~

Does anyone know if they take people off the tier one waitlist if they're not top of tier one?

waitlisted, will be withdrawing to make room for others :)

Got in! Now to make some tough decisions.

Did anybody get info about merit money through the website or will that info come (if there is any) with the letters?

big surprise. i think i will go too! Penn is my first choice!

criminallyinane said:
I hope this isn't another software glitch... good news :)

CONGRATULATIONS, you guys! I'm so glad that we have some closure (except for those who've been waitlisted...if this is your case, HAVE HOPE, I have a friend currently at Penn who was originally waitlisted). I was "not accepted," but I knew that would be the case since I did not get an interview. I lost my hope for Penn a long time ago. But, it's all good. Congrats, you guys!

Members don't see this ad :)
ADoc said:
Got in! Now to make some tough decisions.

Did anybody get info about merit money through the website or will that info come (if there is any) with the letters?

I got merit money. It was on the website, in the financial aid part.

GuyLaroche said:

soo guy will it be duke or penn???

ok so i got the same message as miaflsurf but lack the penn preview tab--does that mean that im like not at THE top of tier 1 like mia and bidster but not on the "regular tier 1" like cowabung?
(why do we have to decipher these things lol!)

Accepted.

See you guys at Penn Preview next month!!!

just to follow up, if you're Tier 1 but NOT top tier 1, anyone know what our chances are? thanks guys, peace

LRmed2003 said:
soo guy will it be duke or penn???

We'll see what Duke does regarding money.... but for now, I am tilting towards Penn. I love Penn like my own mother. I love Duke like my own mother. If Penn and Duke got into a fight, I thik I'll have to root for Penn.

waitlist tier 1.

My first waitlist, woohoo ;) I guess I am top of tier one based upon posts here, but I will be withdrawing promptly. Good luck to everyone who is hoping to be at Penn this fall!

:)Treg

Accepted, Columbia, Penn, or Yale (Hopefully), what a tough tough decision.
Congrats to all, hope to see you all at Preview

GuyLaroche said:
Congrats, Guy! So Penn's merit money isn't just for Rhodes Scholars, eh? Have fun watching Penn and Duke duke it out. (What a lousy pun on my part. Well, I'm trying :) )

GuyLaroche said:
This is a very odd post.

Guuuuuy, congrats on the merit scholarship.

Could you describe in explicit detail to us unworthy non-recipient acceptees what on your status page indicates that you got a scholarship? Do you get an extra 'congratulations' somewhere or something?

leechy said:
Congrats, Guy! So Penn's merit money isn't just for Rhodes Scholars, eh? Have fun watching Penn and Duke duke it out. (What a lousy pun on my part. Well, I'm trying :) )

Thanks Leechy. I was pleasantly surprised. Which school are you leaning towards?

Mateodaspy said:
Accepted.

See you guys at Penn Preview next month!!!

Yay! Will I get to meet the famous Mateodaspy and Guy Laroche in person?! Gasp!

This is so exciting!

Mateodaspy said:
Guuuuuy, congrats on the merit scholarship.

Could you describe in explicit detail to us unworthy non-recipient acceptees what on your status page indicates that you got a scholarship? Do you get an extra 'congratulations' somewhere or something?

No extra congratulations. In the financial aid webpage, there is detail on a merit scholarship. It lists the amount and that's about it. It's no full ride, but it is a tidy sum.

GuyLaroche said:

Congratulations, Laroche! That's fantastic news.

Congratulations Guy, sockandmittens, bidster, ajt2003, ADoc, guoboy, Mateodaspy, msafain, anyone I may have missed, and anyone who hasn't posted yet!

I'll see you all at Penn Preview!

EDIT: Guy, I saw your original post above ;) congrats! :thumbup:

I GOT IN!!! holy **** :)

the1111gal said:
ok so i got the same message as miaflsurf but lack the penn preview tab--does that mean that im like not at THE top of tier 1 like mia and bidster but not on the "regular tier 1" like cowabung?
(why do we have to decipher these things lol!)

I have the same message and lack of tab. So, yeah, what does this mean?

The real question is, should I ask my fiancee to look for jobs in two cities, or suck it up and commit to Case (which I might love more than Penn anyway...).

hahaha

I just realized that the med student receiving his white coat in the picture they show on the "congratulations" page was my student host for my interview! :laugh:

got wailisted, tier 1. really have no clue what that means, but oh well. I think I'll just hope and hope and hope, since I absolutely loved this school.

A huge congrats to those who got in!

haha yes..... I was convinced I wasn't getting in and I'm still in shock... nyu waitlisted me like a month ago and since then I was sure I would get waitlisted/rejected everywhere... I am literally freaking out right now... (I'm really sorry and not trying to rub it in to anyone who got waitlisted and is upset... I'm just uncontrollably excited right now)

rugirlie said:
haha yes..... I was convinced I wasn't getting in and I'm still in shock... nyu waitlisted me like a month ago and since then I was sure I would get waitlisted/rejected everywhere... I am literally freaking out right now... (I'm really sorry and not trying to rub it in to anyone who got waitlisted and is upset... I'm just uncontrollably excited right now)

Congratulations! It just goes to confirm the independence of medical schools. I similarly thought my Harvard rejection was a kiss of death, and a predictor of worse things to come. I am glad to see that UPenn likes us. See you at revisit.

I know I haven't posted much, but I have been following this and hoping hard. Congratulations to everyone! I was so excited to see that acceptance page for real this time!!!! :) :laugh:

rugirlie said:

Congrats!!! Celebrate as outlandishly as you can cause we all know that you are not trying to make anyone feel bad. I am very disappointed about being on the waitlist, but your acceptance actually makes me feel pretty good that it isnt necessarily all about numbers. You may now continue to freak out.

jdovez said:
Congrats!!! Celebrate as outlandishly as you can cause we all know that you are not trying to make anyone feel bad. I am very disappointed about being on the waitlist, but your acceptance actually makes me feel pretty good that it isnt necessarily all about numbers. You may now continue to freak out.

Thanks jdovez! Yea, its def not about numbers (notice my MCAT score)... I don't know what it is, I'm still in shock.... thanks for being so nice!

ninebillion said:
Hopefully Neuronix is reading this and can shed some light on "waitlist tier 1" and "waitlist top of tier 1." :oops:

Well congrats to everyone who got in. I'm always happy to answer questions. If there's any other questions in this thread that I missed, feel free to remind me or PM me.

So the waitlist is indeed ranked, however the adcoms will never admit it and you will under no circumstances get your ranking beyond your tier. It is also a dynamic waitlist, so a LOI or file updates can change your ranking (or even your tier in some cases). Top of Tier 1 was added recently because Penn accepts so late and the waitlist moves so late, that when the school was finally accepting from their waitlist they found that their top waitlistees had already gone elsewhere. So, they give out that "top of tier 1" distinction in order to keep you excited, waiting, and so you don't settle on somewhere else thinking you won't get in here. If you are in this bracket, I do think it's a good idea to come to Penn Preview, but it's not a guarantee that you will get in. A LOI might help. I know last year most of the top of tier 1 MSTPs that came to Penn Preview did not get in simply because we didn't have enough spots on the waitlist last year for MSTP. I don't know any more details on the MD side.

The tier 1 waitlist is like the standard waitlist everywhere else. It means you're still in the running, but who knows what might happen. How much this is dug into varies from year to year. The tier 2 waitlist is essentially a rejection, and it's rare for someone to get an acceptance from it.

I hope that sheds some light on things. Feel free to ask me more questions!

Neuronix,

Is the Top of Tier 1 indicated by the fact that we can still get to Penn Preview even though it says we are Top Tier 1 Waitlisted?

Congratulations everyone! Can't wait to meet you at the preview! :)

Skichic56 said:
Congratulations everyone! Can't wait to meet you at the preview! :)

haha, what are we gonna show up with signs announcing our sdn names? I'm sure i'll meet you all, but won't know you're you... :)

Hi everyone!

I just got back from a call and checked my status page and got accepted!!!! I can't believe it! Just thought I would add my name to the list and congradulate everyone else! Hope to see you all soon... now back to work :D

Liz