People who took the new NBDE1 (2012)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sciencegod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you please provide some feedback? Appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
Well testlet questions are not too hard ..as I say if u have decent command on part 1 subjects....u can do it...
I did few units from lippincott Biochem ..Proteins..aminoacids ...metabolism of carbs ..and Molecular biology.I used BRS physio just for reference..(its a nice book to brush up your concepts.. if u studied these subject long back and need to start it from scratch its good )

thank you for your prompt reply.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi everyone ,
iam preparing for nbde part1
please help me ..
what to read ?

Hey Anju,
Even i'm preparing for nbde part 1.
I think some of the best exam materials are nbde dental decks, kaplan review book and first aid. Also, I'm planning to try NBDE mastery. Hope it helps.

hello, can anybody please tell me what exactly should I focus on for DA? many ppl have mentioned Wheeler's text book. I have it but it contains so many details, so I'd appreciate some guidance (certains necessary pages, tables, etc) :) tnx!

hello, can anybody please tell me what exactly should I focus on for DA? many ppl have mentioned Wheeler's text book. I have it but it contains so many details, so I'd appreciate some guidance (certains necessary pages, tables, etc) :) tnx!

for dental anatomy and occlusion only the kaplan review and decks are enough..!!! i studied only that and the asda papers.. it covers everything.. but if you forgot the basic concept and stuff than u need to refer other text books.. and if u find it in too much of detail than u can simply go to wikipedia for the additional info.. i do have another source u can revise ur DA from.. if u wanna know that than pm me i will forward u the link.. all the best..!!!

Hello there! I started to prepare for NDBE part 1. let's prepare together. send me a message here. I am also looking for Decks for part 1 2012-2013 and dentEssentials: High-Yield NBDE Part I Review (Kaplan Dentessentials). thank you for your answer.

Hey I gave my test on 29 th oct ... It's kinda frustrating that I still didnt receive my score report ... I am a little apprehensive ... People say the report reaches faster if you have an American address ... But I have an Indian address ... Does a delay in report mean something bad ???

Last edited:
Hey I gave my test on 29 th oct ... It's kinda frustrating that I still didnt receive my score report ... I am a little apprehensive ... People say the report reaches faster if you have an American address ... But I have an Indian address ... Does a delay in report mean something bad ???

hey i just got my results and i passed.:D. i took the exams on the 6th of november.. but i live in USA so I guess it will take some time for you to receive ur reports outside the country. they say that you will receive your scores in 3 to 4 weeks so i guess if you dont get it by 29th of nov than call JCNDE and find out the status. if its late that doesn't mean anything. you will get it soon .. all the best...!!

I wish I get it soon ... I can't even call JCNDE ... As those guys are off for thanksgiving ... The wait is killing me ... I hope I pass ... Is there anyone you know who got a late "pass" score report ...and one more thing do these guys use express mailing service or is it regular postal mail ???

hey i just got my results and i passed.:D. i took the exams on the 6th of november.. but i live in USA so I guess it will take some time for you to receive ur reports outside the country. they say that you will receive your scores in 3 to 4 weeks so i guess if you dont get it by 29th of nov than call JCNDE and find out the status. if its late that doesn't mean anything. you will get it soon .. all the best...!!

Congratulation ...how was the exam is it tough??or not ...because my exam is in the next 2 weeks ,I do not feel confident about many subjects
can you share your experience
thanks

I wish I get it soon ... I can't even call JCNDE ... As those guys are off for thanksgiving ... The wait is killing me ... I hope I pass ... Is there anyone you know who got a late "pass" score report ...and one more thing do these guys use express mailing service or is it regular postal mail ???

ya they will be available from monday i guess.. nothing to worry. just try and call them on monday and they will help you out with your questions.. over here in usa they use the regular mail..

Congratulation ...how was the exam is it tough??or not ...because my exam is in the next 2 weeks ,I do not feel confident about many subjects
can you share your experience
thanks

hey thanks man.!!! ya exams are tough but not that hard that u cant pass if u prepared well.. for last two weeks i suggest you not to read too much from the notes and try and focus on ASDA papers.. cuz i got lot of repeated questions from the previous yr papers. they just change the sentence formation of the question and the options .. the questions on the exams were not difficult but the understanding the questions was little tricky.. they ask the most simplest questions in such a way that will confuse you for a while.. if you dont know a question than dont waste too much of time on that, just mark the question and you can do it later..
Anyways dont worry man.. you will be allright.. All the best for your exams..!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
well i guess i anyways have to wait till monday ... i guess it might be a regular mail for indian address as well ... fingers crossed ... now all i can do is wait ...

well i guess i anyways have to wait till monday ... i guess it might be a regular mail for indian address as well ... fingers crossed ... now all i can do is wait ...

Hello dreamsinfinity,
Don't worry. You will pass your exams and wish you the very best.

13337097 said:

Hey drpra86,
Congrats for passing your exam and wish you good luck with the applications.
I have few questions for you.
How long did you take to prepare for the exam?
Did you get more questions with pictures?
How many ASDA repeats did you get in your exam?
Are the testlet questions asked in depth?
Your answers will be helpful.
thanks in advance

Hey drpra86,
Congrats for passing your exam and wish you good luck with the applications.
How long did you take to prepare for the exam?
Did you get more questions with pictures?
How many ASDA repeats did you get in your exam?
Are the testlet questions asked in depth?
Your answers will be helpful.
thanks in advance

hey thanks man..
i took 3 months to prepare.
i did not get a single question with picture.
there were about 15-20 % questions repeated with minor changes with the sentence formation and answer options.. but i think doing ASDA papers in and out will cover most of the questions in the actual exam.. And most important ASDA papers are the most recent one..
the case related questions were kinda in depth cuz u have to use combined knowledge of 2 or more subjects.. other questions were twisted in their sentence formation.. they try to make the structure the simplest questions in a way that will confuse you.. so the advice is read every word of the question carefully and understand it. some questions were like a paragraph long with lot of unnecessary stuff to distract you but the answer to those question is based on 2 or 3 key words in those paragraph.. thats the only thing makes it more time consuming and difficult.. otherwise it is easy..
I hope this helps.. if you have more questions do not hesitate to ask..
All the best..!!!

Congratulations!
can u plz guide ...what material did u use and ...how long will it take to prepare for the exam ?

Ok so before I advice you ... You need to know that the exam isn't a tough exam ... So mentally be relaxed ... I used first aid and asda paper ... ( that's it ) and I studied for 3 to 4 hrs a day ... My advice for you is just do the Asda papers and you will be good to go ... Good luck ...

anybody got any good tips on how to do anatomy?? i read the whole first aid and decks, now doing questions and i hardly remember anything from what i read! i'm all stressed out.... anyone? please

anybody got any good tips on how to do anatomy?? i read the whole first aid and decks, now doing questions and i hardly remember anything from what i read! i'm all stressed out.... anyone? please

Anatomy is no doubt a volatile subject... Everyone faces the same problem....
The best thing u can do is instead of mugging it all...TRY IMAGINING IT....look at 5-6 different pictures on Internet...try to draw once or twice...n then u will be good to go... One or two reading of decks n first aid didn't help me either... I was in the same state...but this method helped me a lot...
Hope it helps...

Thanks ... Did u get any admission ???

lol.. no dude.. not so soon.. application deadlines for all the colleges are almost over.. i have applied to 2 of them but i have not heard from them yet. I am planning to give my part 2 and than apply for the next year application cycle..!!! Its so sad that it takes so much time to get through this whole process.. my friend took exams in december 2012 and he just got admission 2 days ago.. so u see.. it will take time..:(

hey thanks man..
i took 3 months to prepare.
i did not get a single question with picture.
there were about 15-20 % questions repeated with minor changes with the sentence formation and answer options.. but i think doing ASDA papers in and out will cover most of the questions in the actual exam.. And most important ASDA papers are the most recent one..
the case related questions were kinda in depth cuz u have to use combined knowledge of 2 or more subjects.. other questions were twisted in their sentence formation.. they try to make the structure the simplest questions in a way that will confuse you.. so the advice is read every word of the question carefully and understand it. some questions were like a paragraph long with lot of unnecessary stuff to distract you but the answer to those question is based on 2 or 3 key words in those paragraph.. thats the only thing makes it more time consuming and difficult.. otherwise it is easy..
I hope this helps.. if you have more questions do not hesitate to ask..
All the best..!!!

thank you drpra86,
that was a great advice.
Do you mean most recent ASDA papers -N series?

Ok so before I advice you ... You need to know that the exam isn't a tough exam ... So mentally be relaxed ... I used first aid and asda paper ... ( that's it ) and I studied for 3 to 4 hrs a day ... My advice for you is just do the Asda papers and you will be good to go ... Good luck ...

Do they ask anatomy questions other than head & neck also?
Did you get pictures from anat and DA?
Hope to hear from you soon.
thanks in advance.

i passeedddd too,,:),,,,,,any one preparing for part 2 plz help which books should i refer. don't have any idea for part 2.

i passeedddd too,,:),,,,,,any one preparing for part 2 plz help which books should i refer. don't have any idea for part 2.

congrats..... how long did you take to prepare for part 1?
I'm planning to prepare in 3 months.. So, i was wondering if that could be enough.
thanks

hi dentacular, 3 months are good enough if you use it properly,,,materials i used- dental decks 3 times,,,first aid for micro/patho 4/5 times ,kaplan book for anatomy ,dental antomy, physio and biochem 4 times,,,,but make your flow charts for cycles of biochem that help you alot at last min prep, { donot have to read from book again n agian}. plus asda papers ,,,3 mock test,,wikipedia. and final week revise everything again from your notes, books.{give one day to each subject}.

Last edited:
hi dentacular, 3 months are good enough if you use it properly,,,materials i used- dental decks 3 times,,,first aid for micro/patho 4/5 times ,kaplan book for anatomy ,dental antomy, physio and biochem 4 times,,,,but make your flow charts for cycles of biochem that help you alot at last min prep, { donot have to read from book again n agian}. plus asda papers ,,,3 mock test,,wikipedia. and final week revise everything again from your notes, books.{give one day to each subject}.

Thank you for sharing!!

Do they ask anatomy questions other than head & neck also?
Did you get pictures from anat and DA?
Hope to hear from you soon.
thanks in advance.

The anat section doesn't focus only on head and neck it has upper limb and abdomen related questions as well ... My advice again would be its not difficult ... 3 months is more than enough to prepare .. Just keep watching YouTube videos that would help you remember the concepts .. And if not that mosbys is best alternative to first aid

The anat section doesn't focus only on head and neck it has upper limb and abdomen related questions as well ... My advice again would be its not difficult ... 3 months is more than enough to prepare .. Just keep watching YouTube videos that would help you remember the concepts .. And if not that mosbys is best alternative to first aid

Dentacular you don't have to put 12 hr of study ... I studied for just 3 to 4 hrs a day ... Just relax mentally ... I followed mosbys first aid and ASDA ... And watched YouTube videos to clear my concepts ... It's not a very difficult test ... I am sure you will do great

hey Cementbase! thank's for the reply.. so yeah im in that spot alright.
thing is - what do i do now? do i start reading the whole anatomy chapter and decks again and draw the all damn thing or do i continue on doing questions and trying to grasp as much as i can while going through the answers? how did you handle this sticky situation?

hey Cementbase! thank's for the reply.. so yeah im in that spot alright.
thing is - what do i do now? do i start reading the whole anatomy chapter and decks again and draw the all damn thing or do i continue on doing questions and trying to grasp as much as i can while going through the answers? how did you handle this sticky situation?

hey guys,
I see lot of ppl have problem with anatomy.. its a huge subject i know.. there r few videos here on this link for anat which will make it easy to remember and way less timeconsuming than reading from the books.. check it out..
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheAnatomyZone
it helped me a lot for revision..
all the best guys..!!

Dentacular you don't have to put 12 hr of study ... I studied for just 3 to 4 hrs a day ... Just relax mentally ... I followed mosbys first aid and ASDA ... And watched YouTube videos to clear my concepts ... It's not a very difficult test ... I am sure you will do great

thank you for your helpful suggestion dreamsinfinity.

hello dreamsinfinity.... what about the microbiology and pathology section?? wsa the qwestions in depth ...was it difficult ?

hello dreamsinfinity.... what about the microbiology and pathology section?? wsa the qwestions in depth ...was it difficult ?

Like I said before the exam isn't a tough exam ... You guys don't have to stress out so much . Just relax mentally ... About the micro and pathology section contains preliminary questions ... It covers the basics ... They don't Go in depth ... My advice on that would be first aid for micro and pathology ... Just make sure you know which is gram positive which is negative and which virus belongs to which family ... Once you know that then it will all be logical as you know bacteria's and virus of the same family have similar characteristics ... Make tables and try to remember ... My advice again would be definitely first aid.