People who took the new NBDE1 (2012)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sciencegod

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you please provide some feedback? Appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Like I said before the exam isn't a tough exam ... You guys don't have to stress out so much . Just relax mentally ... About the micro and pathology section contains preliminary questions ... It covers the basics ... They don't Go in depth ... My advice on that would be first aid for micro and pathology ... Just make sure you know which is gram positive which is negative and which virus belongs to which family ... Once you know that then it will all be logical as you know bacteria's and virus of the same family have similar characteristics ... Make tables and try to remember ... My advice again would be definitely first aid.

thanks for replay !!

I have one quick question to all those who have passed the exam. Did anyone get picture questions in DA and anat? Also did any of you get math type questions in physiology? thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have one quick question to all those who have passed the exam. Did anyone get picture questions in DA and anat? Also did any of you get math type questions in physiology? thanks in advance.

Picture questions are very rare on the boards :) about the numerical based questions, we do get to see a few numerical based question but they cover few basic concepts of physiology . It's generally not more than a simple addition or subtraction ... It isn't something you should be worried about . Good luck for your test .

Got back from break and got the big PASS today from my mailbox........Thank you sweet 8 lb 6 oz. newborn baby Jesus

Hey congrats!!
Do you have any exam tips for the exam takers please?

thank you Dentacular ....just work hard and you will be fine, there is many many helpful you tubes on the web if you dont understand something specially for the biochemistry and the physiology ...I used the wikkipedia also ,beside the material you have...good luck !

Old test files+dental articles+wikipedia everything you don't know.

Decks and the likes are overkill.

Board busters are a decent supplement but also, in my opinion, overkill. Studied for a week, and passed. Since its just P/F now, you can literally get a 50% and pass now-a-days.

If I were to do it again, I would do the same- cram hard for a week by doing old test questions- wake up at 8 am study til 1 am for 7 days straight and take it.

Is anyone a dental student (that successfully passed the nbde part 1) interested in tutoring me? I'm a dentist from Brazil and failed the test couple of attempts...got 73.
Anyway if you are interested pls email me : [email protected]
Thanks!

Hello everyone ..
can anyone please advise what to study for the Physiology ?? am currently watching Videos for Dr Najeeb USMLE videos , he's great but it seems like it's taking forever , please help :confused:

thanks and Happy New Year

Hello everyone ..
can anyone please advise what to study for the Physiology ?? am currently watching Videos for Dr Najeeb USMLE videos , he's great but it seems like it's taking forever , please help :confused:

thanks and Happy New Year

that is right Dr Najeeb lectures are good but it takes time there is short and concentrated youtubes on the web they are really helpful

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone
I'm planning to take the part 1 in July, 2013. I have the dental decks from 2006/2007. Should i get the 2012/2013 with the testlets? Thanks so much..

BRS physiology for USMLE is very good book ..its too the point and think its not vast to study from...
watch youtube videos (just type the topic u wanna to study and search..there are some kaplan videos too )..for biochem some animation videos are very good short and simple...
to know basics ...Dr najeeb lectures are very lengthy ...way too much detailed ...that much is not needed ..its simply waste of time.

If you have have good knowledge of all subjects then you should be fine , you dont need testlet but you do get questions form ethics for which you need newer version of decks .

No answers yet... I'm planning on stopping by Columbia and NYU to look for a possible tutor :) how are u getting prepared Dental Arts?

why dont you guys watch videos , i was very weak in anatomy and so i started watching videos it realy helps a lot , i guess better than a tutor .
anatomyzone.com

Hi everyone
I'm planning to take the part 1 in July, 2013. I have the dental decks from 2006/2007. Should i get the 2012/2013 with the testlets? Thanks so much..

If you have have good knowledge of all subjects then you should be fine , you dont need testlet but you do get questions form ethics for which you need newer version of decks .

No answers yet... I'm planning on stopping by Columbia and NYU to look for a possible tutor :) how are u getting prepared Dental Arts?
Hi Kika
i'm studying with the dental decks so far and checking the tips from our friends from SDN. My decks r from 2006/2007 so i was thinking about getting the new ones but i was advised that i really don't need it. I'm trying to get at least the testlets and the ethic/management cards.
Yes, you should definitely go to the college in NYC.

My weakest subject is biochemistry:( I'm thinking about getting kaplan book. Do u think that is a good choice? Thanks.

why dont you guys watch videos , i was very weak in anatomy and so i started watching videos it realy helps a lot , i guess better than a tutor .
anatomyzone.com
Thanks for the tip! will certainly look into that

Hi Kika
i'm studying with the dental decks so far and checking the tips from our friends from SDN. My decks r from 2006/2007 so i was thinking about getting the new ones but i was advised that i really don't need it. I'm trying to get at least the testlets and the ethic/management cards.
Yes, you should definitely go to the college in NYC.
Yes I will for sure :) good luck with ur studies!

My weakest subject is biochemistry:( I'm thinking about getting kaplan book. Do u think that is a good choice? Thanks.
My weakest one is biochemistry also! That's why decided to start my tutoring, but it will be with a professor... I really want to relearn everything pretty well...
You mentioned you're Brazilian also, which city? I'm "paulista" :)

I am from India and looking for a female study partner for NBDE part1 preferably from CT,NY area. Skype or phone will also work. Covering topics and portions separately at one's own pace & time schedule will also work for me ( as long as we can cover the topics in a planned and specific time ) . I am looking for a study partner :- so together we can cover the portions , with a good strategy and motivation. Please private message me.

Wish you a good luck in your exam.. I have the test packets II K, L, & M. are there any other packets I missed or those are the only available ones?

I think kaplan is a complicated book , well that is what i feel .
I use to watch video's, first aid and wiki . I use to get the basic understanding from there then followed by first aid n decks for additive information .

I think kaplan is a complicated book , well that is what i feel .
I use to watch video's, first aid and wiki . I use to get the basic understanding from there then followed by first aid n decks for additive information .

Thanks..i appreciate your help.

Where could I find relaesed Qs. Please, I failed the exam. Does anybody knows how many questions we need to pass?

Where could I find relaesed Qs. Please, I failed the exam. Does anybody knows how many questions we need to pass?

Rumor has it that a 55-60% correct will give you a Pass. This is 220-240 correct out of 400 questions.

i passed wow
incredible

you def need to study the kaplan blue book, imho the new exam is way harder than the released exams til 1985. every 3rd question i was not confident of the answer. PM me if you want to buy my copy of kaplan, i'm getting rid of all my books.
Hi congrats for passing your exam. can u please tell me what sources you referred or what materials you used for study and your pattern of study...it would be of great help....thanks

Hi congrats. Please tell me what materials you used to study and your pattern of study. It will be very helpful to me....thanks in advance

Does anyone have asda released papers and /or recent dental decks for nbde 1
they want to sell or give?pls reply asap.

Last edited:
Oh waw, not only me who thinks it was hard!
I took the exam , the first 80 questions were hard and the last 80 questions were easy!
Difficult means answers pretty much close to each other.
I need to make sure of:
- the causative organism of nongonococcus urethitis ....
- 25 hydroxy calciferol become active to 1,25 dihydroxy calciferol in ...
- trigeminal sensory pain nucleus is ....

- structure between mylohyoid and glossohyoid muscles are the following except
1- lingual nerve
2- lingual artery
3- hypoglossal nerve
4- submandibular duct
- Calcium blocker indicated in ...
- How many orifice in lower permanent second molar?
... Good luck

Last edited:
Oh waw, not only me who thinks it was hard!
I did the exam yesterday, the first 80 questions were hard and the last 80 questions were easy!
Difficult means answers pretty much close to each other.
Here's some questions I didn't do it right...

- the causative organism of nongonococcus urethitis ( chlamydia )
- 25 hydroxy calciferol become active to 1,25 dihydroxy calciferol in ( kidney)
- trigeminal sensory pain nucleus is ( I still don't know)

- structure between mylohyoid and glossohyoid muscles are the following except
1- lingual nerve
2- lingual artery
3- hypoglossal nerve
4- submandibular duct

They also like Alpha and beta receptors
Calcium blocker indicated in ... can't remember choices, sorry
How many orifice in lower permanent second molar?
... Good luck

Hi,

The sensory pain nucleus is spinal nuclei and the structure i guess it is lingual artery. Orifices there are three.... 2 mesial and one distal

Last edited:
Gave my nbde 1 before 2 days it was very tough!

Hey!

I am giving my nbde on 27th.. can u pls tell me in detail how the questions were?? any repeats from the old papers? remembered questions? Are decks enough? Pls let me know asap!
Thanks

Dhaval

Rumor has it that a 55-60% correct will give you a Pass. This is 220-240 correct out of 400 questions.

I got a bit confused = =. It is said that the passing score shall be above 75 out of 100, which is 300 correct out of 400 questions. But how can a correct rate of 55-60% possibly pass? Would anyone please kindly clarify it as I am taking Part I in a week, and when I am doing the ASDA released questions, I can only get around 70% correct ...
Thanks a lot!