personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hcgerman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently applying to vet school, and i'm trying to make my personal statement more....personal. it kinda sounds like anyone could write it. any recommendations on what exactly i should put in my personal statement?

i'll take adive from people who made it into vet school or those who are applying right along with me. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Have lots of people read itand offer their input. Try to include personal stories and situations (within reason, of course). Read this:

http://studentdoctor.net/blog/2007/06/23/before-you-write-your-personal-statement-read-this/

And there is also a thread containing some successful applicant's statements, just for reference on what a successful PS might sound like. Let me see if I can find it for you...

Ah, here we are.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=385281&highlight=personal+statement

As always, you can find more by just doing a search on the forum. The various medical boards should all have good advice about making personal statements personal!

Last edited:
what exzactly is a personal statement for and how does it help?

Members don't see this ad :)
When you're applying to vet school through VMCAS, as part of the application, there is a personal statement. It's a space where you can write an essay that sets you apart from other applicants. Some schools have specific requirements that they want to see in your personal statement, but mostly it's just your chance to say "this is why I'm interested, this is what I've done to demonstrate that, and this is what I want to do with my degree." Most personal statements include these three things, but other than that, some can be very creative!

Hope this helps!

Tell an interesting story. Of course it should be sincere, but don't feel the need to write an autobiographical essay. Like any good piece of writing, it should achieve its aims--namely, presenting the reader with a favorable impression of the applicant, in a way that pleases and intrigues. Reading a whole slew of crappy essays that all boil down to "I want to be a vet because I've always wanted to be a vet and I love animals" is boring.

One reason they have you write this essay is to see if you can communicate effectively with other people and sell yourself when necessary, be it to a client or prospective employer--this is a necessary skill for a successful veterinarian, and, above all else, the admissions committee wants to applicants who be successful both in school and their professional careers. Keep this in mind while writing your personal statement.

When I was writing mine, I made a mental list of all my attributes that the admissions committee might find desirable, then I thought about experiences I've had that I could use to demonstrate these. And then I wrote a story about it that I thought they might like to read.

And then I rewrote it and rewrote it and rewrote it, multiple drafts, then gave it to a number of people to read and comment on, then revised some more...

REVISION IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF WRITING YOUR ESSAY!!!

Last edited:
I might have time to read it if you get it to me by the end of the day. But you should really pluck up the courage to give it to your boss to read as well, as he/she might knows you and your strengths as a stranger will not.

One recommendation I got about my application, after getting waitlisted last year, was to try and include what you personally learned from a certain experience. So not only talk about specific experiences but why you think it is relevant to you.

So, I've written a couple of versions of my personal statement, and many revisions. I'm at a point now where I would like to find a volunteer to help me strengthen my statement in both content and grammar.
Any input and constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated.
I'd prefer to pm or email the statement rather than post it here.
Thanks!

All of the personal statements posted in the linked thread are absolutely amazing, but I'm curious... has anyone written and been accepted with a p.s. that is, I guess, less deep?

What I'm writing seems so blah compared to all of these, my experiences are so much less grandiose. Does anyone else feel this way?

Last edited: