PGY-1 IM Resident Looking to Switch Into Pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stifler88

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Current PGY-1 IM resident in the Philly area looking to swap/switch into Pathology. Does anyone know of where I can find current open PGY-1 Path positions? Or know of anyone who wants to switch? I'm a US MD who graduated this year from med school and very much enjoyed my pathology courses in med school...in hindsight, I wish I had applied to pathology in last year's Match.

Thanks and please feel free to ask me questions,

Sal

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Call up programs and leave your email contact. No website I know of. Pathologyoutlines maybe but haven’t seen anything posted there.

Reactions: 1 users
Resident swap would be a good way to transition
Hi All,

Current PGY-1 IM resident in the Philly area looking to swap/switch into Pathology. Does anyone know of where I can find current open PGY-1 Path positions? Or know of anyone who wants to switch? I'm a US MD who graduated this year from med school and very much enjoyed my pathology courses in med school...in hindsight, I wish I had applied to pathology in last year's Match.

Thanks and please feel free to ask me questions,

Sal

If you’re happy in the geographical location you are in I would suggest contacting programs nearby to see if they have any vacancies or unfilled positions although by September my guess is most of them have been accounted for by now. Residentswap is another resource. Perhaps you may find someone here who is planning to drop out?

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I've tried residentswap and posting on here. No luck so far. Hopefully that changes soon

Hi

I'm in the opposite boat. I'm a PGY1 looking to switch to medicine. Email me at drako1603 at gmail dot com . We could possibly swap.

Hi, I've switched my mind at the moment and will continue with IM. Best of luck

Hi, I've switched my mind at the moment and will continue with IM. Best of luck

Stifler88 I think that is a good decision. You can actually be in charge of your career in IM. Pathology is for those who want some C student telling them what to do and scalping their profits.

Reactions: 1 users
Stifler88 I think that is a good decision. You can actually be in charge of your career in IM. Pathology is for those who want some C student telling them what to do and scalping their profits.

Don’t be negative. Some people here will tell you that you should go retrain in a different specialty if you hate it so much or you’re one of those weak pathologists who just complain.

Hi Marvin, please DM me. I matched into medicine this year in a program in Detroit in IM. I'm a path resident in DC, but im hugely regretting switching and if you can wait till July I might be willing to switch back.
What makes you regret your decision?

Hi Marvin, please DM me. I matched into medicine this year in a program in Detroit in IM. I'm a path resident in DC, but im hugely regretting switching and if you can wait till July I might be willing to switch back.

why cannot you stay in your current path program?

I can't go out of the match because I need to apply for a waiver and change of speciality is not a ground for waiver after the match. If I ignore the waiver process and get myself blacklisted from the match, I am not allowed to start another PGY year which is why I was advised by my program to honor the committment. I applied very late, accidentally got an interview in Feb, accidentally I guess matched. Maybe I am too
(un?)lucky who knows.
If you stay in path you don't really need the NRMP match outside of a few fellowships (derm?). I'd talk to your current program about staying onboard. You can do a transfusion medicine or cytology fellowship if you want to see patients.

I don’t think NRMP can bar you from taking a PGY-2 position, you would have to find it outside of the match. Best think to do is talk with your current program director about how to proceed.