PGY1 schedules?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilycat

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I was just talking to one of the residents at my new program and she slipped and told me my schedule... I'm starting with freaking vacation!! Arggghhh! I just knew I would get screwed... Luckily we get 4 weeks, so I have another 2-week block somewhere, but why do I have a feeling it will be the next freaking month, and then 10 months, no vacation. Grumble...

Members don't see this ad.

wow
thats wierd
starting with a vacation...enjoy :)

i never imagined THAT could happen....i mean i thought vacations are on request , not assigned like rotations :eek:

Q

coolbabe76 said:
wow
thats wierd
starting with a vacation...enjoy :)

i never imagined THAT could happen....i mean i thought vacations are on request , not assigned like rotations :eek:

You can try to request vacations at specific times, but your request may or may not get honored. Depending how much vacation time your program gives you, you get a "block" scheduled into your rotations somewhere.

It's going to be almost impossible to enjoy that "vacation" in any way or shape because the timing is so crap.

Members don't see this ad :)
i agree the timing is crap but now that you have a vacation, enjoy it .( it will be a paid vacation, after all)

I know, if it was my only 2 weeks, it would be really, really crap. This is just moderately crap. I just feel lame not starting for another two weeks and basically it's dead time that I can't really do anything with because of the timing and lack of money.

:eek: I somehow thought this could not really happen.
Guess I better find out what is planned for me....
I feel for you! Try to enjoy it anyway and think of the poor souls starting with ICU...
NoSz

NoSz said:
:eek: I somehow thought this could not really happen.
Guess I better find out what is planned for me....
I feel for you! Try to enjoy it anyway and think of the poor souls starting with ICU...
NoSz

It depends entirely on program. My program has told us the months we can't take vacation (med wards, ICU, and Cards), and that we must request them 4 months out to accomodate scheduling of our continuity clinic. Besides that we can take our days when we want. At least that is my current understanding.

Anybody else know their schedule yet? i know my program said to make 8 requests for the 2 week blocks but after that i've heard nothing. this was a while ago too.

Got my PGY-1 schedule a couple of weeks ago. After my july orientation month in the ED I start in the ICU!!! :scared: gonna be a little freaked out i think.

later

irrka said:
Anybody else know their schedule yet?

Just got our schedule on May 3rd. I think I hit the intern lottery on this one! :D I start off light, one month of gen med wards, one month in the ED, and then one month in Cards.

My MICU month is about 2/3ths of the way through and my last two months are night float and heme-onc.

12R34Y said:
Got my PGY-1 schedule a couple of weeks ago. After my july orientation month in the ED I start in the ICU!!! :scared: gonna be a little freaked out i think.

later
I know how you feel. We don't have a complete schedule yet but I've been told I'm starting with ICU.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been there...when I was an intern (before work hour regulations started) I had to go from 11/1-7/1 without any vacation time. It was hell on earth.

lilycat said:
So, I was just talking to one of the residents at my new program and she slipped and told me my schedule... I'm starting with freaking vacation!! Arggghhh! I just knew I would get screwed... Luckily we get 4 weeks, so I have another 2-week block somewhere, but why do I have a feeling it will be the next freaking month, and then 10 months, no vacation. Grumble...

usually programs give the worst schedules to prelims/transitionals...

radonc said:

well then the only thing that might save me is that there are only 3 categorical spots where i'm going, everyone else'll be just like me, pre-lemming

radonc said:

I know. That's why I had a feeling I would get screwed on this. Now I keep envisioning the worst -- start off with vacation, probably scheduled for Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years, and my next vacation block will likely be June 2007.

By luck of the draw (since call schedules vary depending on a myriad of reasons), I was on call for my birthday, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's and Valentine's Day. Ugh.

Blade28 said:
By luck of the draw (since call schedules vary depending on a myriad of reasons), I was on call for my birthday, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's and Valentine's Day. Ugh.

You're kidding!!! So were there actually people in your class who were never on call during the "big" holidays??

No schedule yet, but watch me be on night float for the first 3 months of the year. :(

lilycat said:
You're kidding!!! So were there actually people in your class who were never on call during the "big" holidays??

Well, probably not, since you have to remember our residency program is spread over a few hospitals - and there are many different services per hospital (e.g. g surg, plastics, burns, peds surg, vascular, surg onc, etc.). So yes, when I was on call on Thanksgiving at the children's hospital, the other people on that service with me were off - but they might have been on call during one of the other holidays.

By the way, it's all good, because being miserable builds character. :) (That's from Calvin & Hobbes, in case anyone didn't get the reference.) And you see some great cases during the holidays.

Blade28 said:
By the way, it's all good, because being miserable builds character. :) (That's from Calvin & Hobbes, in case anyone didn't get the reference.) And you see some great cases during the holidays.

I know. :rolleyes: I was explaining to my fiance that when I'm at work, I'm going to have to fake the happy "give me more" attitude no matter if I am scheduled every single holiday and don't get another vacation for the rest of the year after June 26th. However, that doesn't mean that I'm not going to vent as soon as I get home. ;)

Oh, absolutely. Vent with your fellow interns every chance you get. That's what we do - at lunch, when we go out for dinner or drinks, at parties, etc. Just don't carried away - sometimes I have to remind everyone that all "shop talk" and no other conversation can be a little too much.

Blade28 said:
I'm still waiting for my PGY2 schedule.

Me too.

I didn't get my PGY-1 schedule until orientation. I had two days to prepare myself for the fact that I was starting off with inpatient surgery :eek: (a rotation I hadn't had since my MS-3 year).

can i just bitch for a second? they won't tell me if i have housing, they won't tell me when they'll know if i have housing, they won't tell me where or when i can move in obviously or whether it'll be before i have to start (july 1).... oh and i obviously don't know my schedule for the year is but since it's it's surg prelim, it's going to kick my ass anyway since i havent done jack **** in moooonths. ok, back to not doing anything useful. sorry for the rant.

DOtobe said:
Me too.

I didn't get my PGY-1 schedule until orientation. I had two days to prepare myself for the fact that I was starting off with inpatient surgery :eek: (a rotation I hadn't had since my MS-3 year).

That sucks.

I was hoping I would have my schedule since I think last year it was done around April.

glorytaker said:
I know how you feel. We don't have a complete schedule yet but I've been told I'm starting with ICU.
I started in the ICU, and I thought it was good. It made everything after that easier, and my seniors really watched out for me that first month.

Besides, the ICU is the easiest place to learn the most important lesson of intern year: recognizing really sick patients. After my first rotation in the unit, I knew what someone looks like when they start heading down the tubes, so I could start paying extra attention to them.

ears said:
I started in the ICU, and I thought it was good. It made everything after that easier, and my seniors really watched out for me that first month.

Besides, the ICU is the easiest place to learn the most important lesson of intern year: recognizing really sick patients. After my first rotation in the unit, I knew what someone looks like when they start heading down the tubes, so I could start paying extra attention to them.

i really feel more comfortable in icu stuff as a med student. not sure if it will change when I have more responsibility , but I doubt it. I guess good thing I'm going into EM!

We find out sometime in mid-May. Since I'll be "local" and the PD knows I have ICU experience I'm rather expecting to start there.

ears said:
After my first rotation in the unit, I knew what someone looks like when they start heading down the tubes, so I could start paying extra attention to them.

Exactly! :thumbup:

Blade28 said:

Are you talking about the Marino ICU book that is an actual textbook and $65, or is there a pocket version?
We won't get our schedule until orientation and I want to be prepared if I get ICU first. :eek: