Pharm-D with a Concentration

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NutMegAceTony08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

My schools is offering us a chance to graduate with a concentration with our Pharm-D. It will take two extra electives, combined with some of our courses we already take and a certain APPE. The four general concentrations are

1. Administration/Management (includes Community, Health System, Government and Professional Associations)
2. Economics
3. Health Outcomes and Health Policy (includes Clinical, Humanistic, Health Economic and Pharmacoeconomic and Safety Outcomes)
4. Sales and Marketing (includes Healthcare, Pharmaceutical Industry)

Anyone have any thoughts which one might be the most beneficial to my career and open more doors to opportunities?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd choose the outcomes and pharmacoeconmics ones, but I guess it depends on what you want to do with your career. Which school is this? Honestly, I have trouble seeing two electives and one APPE being sufficient for you to have a "concentration" in anything.

It's kind of a cool idea, but I don't think it would really do that much for you outside of a regular PharmD. So I would go with whatever one sounds most interesting to you...since you are going to have to sit through those two classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
it's kind of a cool idea, but i don't think it would really do that much for you outside of a regular pharmd. So i would go with whatever one sounds most interesting to you...since you are going to have to sit through those two classes.
+1

I agree that the concentrations aren't going to help much. If you are really interested in one of these areas, I would go for it, otherwise I'd rather spend my electives/APPEs taking clinical coursework.

The two electives are on top of three other courses built into the cirriculum. THe APPE wont take up an elective depending on what it is, it might go under one of the required categories. I am also going into the military. Im commissioned and i figured management/administratin would help me help more with my duties as an officer but i didnt know if another concentration might help me out with a residency since the air force has 3 positions at one hospital in california.