PhD Applicants-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Changemaker

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am planning to apply for PhD in Public Health for Fall 2015. I am opening this thread so that we can share our profiles and get advice/encouragement from the group.

I'm starting off with my own profile and questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am interested in focusing on Health Behavior and Health education. I am specially looking into schools with focus on global health, gender and sexual health. Below is the list of schools I am considering:

1. University of California-San Diego- Health Promotion & Behavioral Science /Global Health
2. University of Maryland- Behavior & Community Health
3. Emory University-Health Behavior and Health Education.
4. University of South Florida- Department of Community & Family Health
5. Tulane University- Global Health Systems and Development
6. John Hopkins-Health, Behavior and Society
7. Columbia University-Social Medical Sciences

I have an uncomfortable feeling that I'm targeting too high and am unsure about whether I'm good match for these schools. I'd appreciate any suggestions based on that. Also, I am wondering, should I contact professors beforehand or in public health, there is no use of that? I contacted this professor at Emory; who gave nice replies to some of my program queries and suggested that I contact her if I'm selected for the interview. So, should I continue emailing professors with similar research interest? ANY comment suggestion is most welcome!

My profile:

UG: completely unrelated; Marketing. CGPA: 2.9(international student)
Masters in Health Communication from mid-ranked university.CGPA: 4.00
Masters in Public Health from same university: 3.95(so far; two more semesters to go)
Graduate certificate: Gender and sexuality studies; African health
(doing dual degree in three years)
GRE: Verbal:150; Quant:155; AW: 4.0
TOEFL:117/120
Conference presentations:around 10 including 2 national and 1 global conference
Research grants received: 3; 1 for international research worth $11,000
Publications: 2 Monographs; on the process of working on a paper for submitting in peer-reviewed journal as a first writer.
Work experience: 2 and 1/2 years in the health sector in my home country in Asia. Research Internship at NYU Medical school; Project Manager & Investigator of a research project in an African country; Research assistant throughout my Masters education.
Research interest: Gender-based violence; sexual health; global health, technology use for health communication

Last edited:
I contacted this professor at Emory; who gave nice replies to some of my program queries and suggested that I contact her if I'm selected for the interview. So, should I continue emailing professors with similar research interest?

One final e-mail thanking for her time. Ask if there are any other faculty that she would suggest you contact based on your interests. Then contact those people using "I was referred to you by [professor]" as your foot in their door.

Your GRE scores will really hold you back. Verbal 150 is 44th %ile. Quant 155 is 61st %ile. Both of these could screen you out of consideration for better programs, particularly the quantitative score considering that biostats and epi is are both very math-heavy. Frankly, your great TOEFL score will further hurt you because sometimes people are allowed to slide a bit on the GRE if their command of English is low.

Everything else on your application looks really good.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,
I am thinking about looking into PhD programs for the 2015 cycle. I have been out of school for a few years working in the health policy field around health care reform. I was wondering what the process is like to reach out to prospective mentors and professors as supervisors? There are many templates for email suggestions on how to reach out, but I was wondering if experienced PhD students had a specific method once they identified which professors line up with their research interests?

Thanks!

I just wanted to share (maybe you all know this already) that SOPHAS is hosting a virtual fair yesterday and today and representatives from most PH schools are available online. Here is the link: https://www.careereco.com/Fair/EventDetails?fairId=f48ddff1-b9da-4a16-adba-a2f4010452fe

I asked about the GRE requirements, and the highest requirement I heard so far is that "to be a competitive applicant, you should aim for above 50% for all sections". Johns Hopkins said they don't have min. GRE requirement and will look at the whole package.

I just wanted to share (maybe you all know this already) that SOPHAS is hosting a virtual fair yesterday and today and representatives from most PH schools are available online. Here is the link: https://www.careereco.com/Fair/EventDetails?fairId=f48ddff1-b9da-4a16-adba-a2f4010452fe

I asked about the GRE requirements, and the highest requirement I heard so far is that "to be a competitive applicant, you should aim for above 50% for all sections". Johns Hopkins said they don't have min. GRE requirement and will look at the whole package.

FYI Hopkins received ~ 200 PhD applications last year. They admitted roughly ~21 students and 18 of them chose to matriculate (87% yield). They say have above 50th percentile in each section to be considered, however depending on the department you apply to, it could get very competitive, especially epidemiology. If you look at the department of EPI website it will tell you that most applicants have scores in the 70th percentile or higher although they definitely look at applications holistically. Most schools of public health do.

Even though they don't state it explicitly, the Phd programs of the top schools are extremely competitive, some with single digit admit rates. There is no way you can get in with average to medicore GRE scores. Everyone I have seen who has been admitted has well over 160 in each category.

FYI Hopkins received ~ 200 PhD applications last year. They admitted roughly ~21 students and 18 of them chose to matriculate (87% yield). They say have above 50th percentile in each section to be considered, however depending on the department you apply to, it could get very competitive, especially epidemiology.

I always wish schools could give out information about how competitive the applicant pool is as a whole. When I was courting the department for the program I'm in now, I was told that they get about 30 applications a year, of which around 15 are competitive. After that, less attention to GPA and GRE, more attention to statement and credentials.

I always wish schools could give out information about how competitive the applicant pool is as a whole. When I was courting the department for the program I'm in now, I was told that they get about 30 applications a year, of which around 15 are competitive. After that, less attention to GPA and GRE, more attention to statement and credentials.

I think only 30 competitive applications is a bit of a understatement since there are many students that enroll in a PhD every year across the country. But GRE aside, be sure to score as high as you possibly can. A GRE will never get you into a program, but a lower score can certainly prevent you from getting into one.

I am interested in focusing on Health Behavior and Health education. I am specially looking into schools with focus on global health, gender and sexual health. Below is the list of schools I am considering

As long as you're not hurting for money and have the money to apply, go for it. You never know if you might get into these schools. Just be sure to hone and craft your application package very specifically for each school and do your research on what each program offers that makes it unique for your own fit and research goals. More than anything, a good research statement that is a fit for that department's faculty is what will help you get in.

Hello,
I am thinking about looking into PhD programs for the 2015 cycle. I have been out of school for a few years working in the health policy field around health care reform. I was wondering what the process is like to reach out to prospective mentors and professors as supervisors? There are many templates for email suggestions on how to reach out, but I was wondering if experienced PhD students had a specific method once they identified which professors line up with their research interests?

Thanks!

Feel free to reach out to anyone you're interested in working with. If their research portfolio looks like a good fit, just tell that person you're interested in their research and about any opportunities you might have to work with them as a graduate student. Think of it as a way of applying to a job--ask for info, network, and get yourself out there.

Reactions: 1 users
I think only 30 competitive applications is a bit of a understatement since there are many students that enroll in a PhD every year across the country.

Erm... are you saying my department lied to me about our applicant pool? I'm really not sure what you're going for with this reply if not that.

Last edited:
I think only 30 competitive applications is a bit of a understatement since there are many students that enroll in a PhD every year across the country. But GRE aside, be sure to score as high as you possibly can. A GRE will never get you into a program, but a lower score can certainly prevent you from getting into one.

Maybe you mean apply?

Some schools might be more explicit with their admission requirements. For example, Tulane, a very well respected school in global health, might be pretty upfront about what they want to see in terms of applicants, hence their applicants self-select out and save the adcom some time sifting through applications.

As long as you're not hurting for money and have the money to apply, go for it. You never know if you might get into these schools.

Folks probably apply to the top 1-2 schools in their field just because they can and why miss out on the opportunity of a lifetime. Even so, 200 applicants for JHU seems kinda on the low end for that school, all of these things probably go in cycles.

200 applicants was just for the department of epidemiology PhD applicants, not the entire school. I forgot to mention that in my post.

Erm... are you saying my department lied to me about our applicant pool? I'm really not sure what you're going for with this reply if not that.

Sorry, misread that you mentioned your specific department. I thought you would have meant for entire school.

Members don't see this ad :)
One final e-mail thanking for her time. Ask if there are any other faculty that she would suggest you contact based on your interests. Then contact those people using "I was referred to you by [professor]" as your foot in their door.

Your GRE scores will really hold you back. Verbal 150 is 44th %ile. Quant 155 is 61st %ile. Both of these could screen you out of consideration for better programs, particularly the quantitative score considering that biostats and epi is are both very math-heavy. Frankly, your great TOEFL score will further hurt you because sometimes people are allowed to slide a bit on the GRE if their command of English is low.

Everything else on your application looks really good.

Thanks for your reply. Do you think I would be better off leaving some of the ambitious schools like Columbia out and including some not so competitive schools? I am applying to Social and behavioral sciences programs- so was hoping math score won't hurt too much. It's kind of late to prepare for GRE now since I plan to take 4 courses a semester to finish my MPH faster: I wish a few professors in my university I discussed to had cautioned me about my GRE score.

Do you have any idea about how Tulane weights for GRE score for the Global Health PhD?

Thanks for your reply. Do you think I would be better off leaving some of the ambitious schools like Columbia out and including some not so competitive schools? I am applying to Social and behavioral sciences programs- so was hoping math score won't hurt too much. It's kind of late to prepare for GRE now since I plan to take 4 courses a semester to finish my MPH faster: I wish a few professors in my university I discussed to had cautioned me about my GRE score.

Do you have any idea about how Tulane weights for GRE score for the Global Health PhD?

You should apply to schools you actually want to attend. If you don't want to attend another school (let's call it a "safety") and would be unhappy going there, don't apply. You should apply to programs only if you're actually interested in applying since you'd be wasting your time and money applying if you don't actual want to go there. And apply to everything you're even remotely interested in attending.

GREs at most schools will be used as a cutoff--if you don't meet a minimum cutoff you'll be triaged. So I encourage you to get as high a score as you can. Make space for it, regardless of the number of classes you're taking. GRE is important to not get yourself triaged, so be sure to focus on it enough to get a decent score. Your competitors will have good scores, too.

I am interested in focusing on Health Behavior and Health education. I am specially looking into schools with focus on global health, gender and sexual health. Below is the list of schools I am considering:

1. University of California-San Diego- Health Promotion & Behavioral Science /Global Health

I have an uncomfortable feeling that I'm targeting too high and am unsure about whether I'm good match for these schools. I'd appreciate any suggestions based on that. Also, I am wondering, should I contact professors beforehand or in public health, there is no use of that? I contacted this professor at Emory; who gave nice replies to some of my program queries and suggested that I contact her if I'm selected for the interview. So, should I continue emailing professors with similar research interest? ANY comment suggestion is most welcome!

My profile:

Masters in Public Health from same university: 3.95(so far; two more semesters to go)
Publications: 2 Monographs; on the process of working on a paper for submitting in peer-reviewed journal as a first writer.
Work experience: 2 and 1/2 years in the health sector in my home country in Asia. Research Internship at NYU Medical school; Project Manager & Investigator of a research project in an African country; Research assistant throughout my Masters education.
Research interest: Gender-based violence; sexual health; global health, technology use for health communication

Have you considered the social and behavioral health PhD at VCU in Richmond? I'm prejudiced because I'm in it but I love it - great profs, great relationships with other departments. PM me if you want more info.

Have you considered the social and behavioral health PhD at VCU in Richmond? I'm prejudiced because I'm in it but I love it - great profs, great relationships with other departments. PM me if you want more info.

Thank you so much for your enthusiasm. I actually hadn't looked at the program until you mentioned. It looks great to me and I also see professors working on GBV research! I'd explore the program a bit more and definitely get in touch with you!

If at all possible, try re-taking the GRE before applying. The score will likely eliminate you from consideration from the majority of the schools you're looking at. Your application outside of the GRE is stellar! Just get those scores up a little :)

Also, I'm starting at University of Maryland in the PhD in Behavioral and Community Health this year! If you have questions, I can let you know stuff as I learn it!

My profile:

If at all possible, try re-taking the GRE before applying. The score will likely eliminate you from consideration from the majority of the schools you're looking at. Your application outside of the GRE is stellar! Just get those scores up a little :)

Also, I'm starting at University of Maryland in the PhD in Behavioral and Community Health this year! If you have questions, I can let you know stuff as I learn it!

Hi! Thanks so much! I actually had quite some questions about UMD. I surely would need your help!

Hi Changemaker, thanks for starting this thread!

I'm also applying for Ph.D programs this fall for entry in 2015. I would love to any feedback you guys may have about my competitiveness, especially without a Master's degree. I'm just unsure of how competitive I am for top Ph.D programs in Health Policy and Management, especially because I lack serious research and publications. My research interests lie in organizational and technology transformation in healthcare.

-

I would love to hear your thoughts on my competitiveness to a Ph.D program. I am aiming too high? Should I simply aim for master's degrees first? Thanks

Last edited:
I think you have a shot, but as you mentioned, these are very competitive programs. I'd recommend adding a couple more programs to the list (well if you'd actually attend them, otherwise you are wasting money). Also add a couple more masters programs to the list you'd actually attend if a phd program did not work out. Some schools allow you to apply to their masters and phd programs using one application (and you don't have to pay twice), so take advantage of that.

Since you don't have too many years of research experience, talk with your recommenders about speaking to your research abilities in their letters if they can do so. You'll also need to have a very strong statement of purpose that highlights your research ability and commitment to doing research.

Your GRE scores are pretty strong, and your academic background also looks good. As you'll be up against people with masters and years of research experience, you'll want to make the case that you understand what a career in research actually means, that you've got some applicable research skills and the ability to succeed in the program, that you have a pretty solid sense of your research interests, and that those interests are a strong match for the department.

Getting into a phd without a masters is competitive but can be done. As some encouragement, I got into two doctoral programs without a masters or any publications or poster presentations. I also had mediocre gre scores. I did have 4 years of directly applicable research experience and strong letters of rec/personal statement.

Good luck! I wish you the best!

I'm also applying for Ph.D programs this fall for entry in 2015. I would love to any feedback you guys may have about my competitiveness, especially without a Master's degree. I'm just unsure of how competitive I am for top Ph.D programs in Health Policy and Management, especially because I lack serious research and publications. My research interests lie in organizational and technology transformation in healthcare. My stats are below:

Undergrad:
BA Psychology/ Minor Health Policy (3.4GPA) from top ivy (H/Y/P)
Thesis on healthcare decision making and organizational relationships

Work (2 years by enrollment fall 2015):
Consultant for mid-tier firm (Deloitte, Accenture etc)
Business Analyst role on Health IT project (Large pharma)
One project is health IT research
One project is health IT strategy

Previous internships in healthcare:
Healthcare strategy firm: domestic
Large public health NGO: international and heavy data analysis work

Extracurriculars:
Various health policy clubs at undergrad (President, VP)
Ad hoc board member for regional health policy organization; data analyst to regional branch of national health org
National science awards earned in high school (Intel, Siemens etc) (Would this be relevant nowadays?)

GRE: 167Q, 160V, 5W

LORs:
1 from thesis advisor; 1 from health policy professor, 1 from current employer (Ph.D) in pharma healthcare IT

Schools/programs:
Harvard (Ph.D Health Policy & Management)
Yale (Ph.D Health Policy & Management)
Johns Hopkins (Ph.D Health Services Research & Policy)
University of Michigan (Ph.D Health Services Organization & Policy)
UCLA (M.S/Ph.D Health Policy & Management)
Columbia (MPH Health Policy & Management)

I would love to hear your thoughts on my competitiveness to a Ph.D program. I am aiming too high? Should I simply aim for master's degrees first? Thanks

I'm also applying for Ph.D programs this fall for entry in 2015. I would love to any feedback you guys may have about my competitiveness, especially without a Master's degree. I'm just unsure of how competitive I am for top Ph.D programs in Health Policy and Management, especially because I lack serious research and publications. My research interests lie in organizational and technology transformation in healthcare. My stats are below:

Undergrad:

Extracurriculars:
Ad hoc board member for regional health policy organization; data analyst to regional branch of national health org
National science awards earned in high school (Intel, Siemens etc) (Would this be relevant nowadays?)

LORs:
1 from thesis advisor; 1 from health policy professor, 1 from current employer (Ph.D) in pharma healthcare IT

Schools/programs:

Play up your experience at Deloitte. Any experience in management consulting will be seen as a huge plus. Write your research statement with your strengths in mind, and write a carefully honed statement that states you have a good understanding of health management and strategy. That will substantially set you apart from your fresh from undergrad peers.

Hi Tickytocky

I think your profile is great. I'd suggest you to contact graduate directors of your preferred program. Share your concern with them and see how they reply. Although don't expect them to give yes/no answer, but I think you can deduce something from the tone of the replies. My experience says graduate directors are great at replying queries of prospective students. Good luck- hope we'd be sharing our journey through the process!

Also, one thing you should decide is do you want to do your PhD only in these top schools even if you have to wait a few years or do you want to start right this year even if it means going to a lower-ranked school. If the later, you might want to add some less competitive schools. If not, apply to MPH programs as well.

Undergrad:

Extracurriculars:

LORs:

Schools/programs:

I'm also applying for Ph.D programs this fall for entry in 2015. I would love to any feedback you guys may have about my competitiveness, especially without a Master's degree. I'm just unsure of how competitive I am for top Ph.D programs in Health Policy and Management, especially because I lack serious research and publications.

Research and publications are the gold standard but it's not the end of the world if you don't have them. What you need is to be able to demonstrate that to an admissions committee that they can reasonably expect that you'll produce once you're in a program. Focus on your unique experiences and play these up. I didn't have any publications when I sent out my applications, but the fact I was working in a BL3 lab got a lot of interest in my services because few if any applicants to PhD programs have that. What is it about you that sets you apart from the crowd?

Thanks all for the feedback. I've been going back and forth, questioning my application for this fall, and it's really put a strain! It's been very constructive to hear all of your advice and putting more things in perspective. I'm sure I'll have more questions throughout the application process, so thanks for the constructive community!

Hi All,

I am planning to apply for PhD in Public Health for Fall 2015. I am opening this thread so that we can share our profiles and get advice/encouragement from the group.

I'm starting off with my own profile and questions.

Hi Changemaker,

Thank you again for starting this. I just started to narrow down my programs (i know i might be a bit late), but here are my stats:

UG: completely unrelated in my home country in Asia (GPA: 3.83)
MPH & MSW (social work): GPA: 3.89 (in US)
GRE: Verbal:161; Quant:170; AW: 4.0
Work experience: 3 summer internships in India, Switzerland, and New York (all on public health projects); several research experiences throughout graduate school; 3 years full-time work experience on HIV/AIDS cost-effectiveness trials in the US and East Africa by Fall 2015
Research interest: global health, program evaluation, behavioral economics and interventions, research dissemination and implementation science
No published paper or conference presentation (i know this is my biggest problem)

Here are my DREAM programs (still looking):
- University of Washington PhD in Global Health (metrics)
- Johns Hopkins Phd in Social and Behavioral Interventions (it seems they don't have full funding, thus I might drop this)
- Harvard DS in Population and Reproductive Health
- UNC PhD in Health Policy and Management

Additional comments:
I should have multiple papers coming out next year (but won't be able to submit before my application);
I know I might be aiming too high, but I do not mind applying again next year if I can't get into a program I absolutely love (but definitely prefer to start in 2015);
Funding and location are key to me; i want to do my PhD in a city with other non-academic global health organizations, and ideally with potential projects in Asia.

Any comment and suggestion from you guys would be great! Thank you and good luck everyone.

On your research statement, talk about the papers that are coming out. Also, be sure to write on your CV that these papers are "In Preparation". This will show you have a strong academic research background and that you've been productive.

On your research statement, talk about the papers that are coming out. Also, be sure to write on your CV that these papers are "In Preparation". This will show you have a strong academic research background and that you've been productive.
thank you for the advice! Will definitely do this.

I'm well aware my GRE scores suck!!! I don't know what happened, my nerves got the best of me and time was as issue. I studied and practiced but still flunked. I'm planning to re-take as soon as I can before deadlines but what do you guys think overall? I'm an international student (hispanic), do you guys think this particular detail would make them less harsh on me for receiving such low scores? What other programs do you reccommend?

My profile:

UG: Biology mayor, GPA: 3.32
Masters in Public Health, GPA: 4.0
GRE: Verbal:150; Quant:146; AW: still waiting
TOEFL: will take on December
Conference presentations: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Fellow's Day and APHA next week.
Publications: 1 publication as a primary author, two publications as a co-author submitted.
Work experience: ~2 years as a student researcher working at the CDC- Dengue Branch in Puerto Rico in numerous projects regarding infectious diseases. I'm even leading a project right now that I proposed and it might even turn into a publication.
LoRs: 1 from thesis advisor, 1 from epidemiology faculty, 1 from EIS officer/Epidemiology Group leader at CDC-Dengue Branch (this letter should be very strong).
Research interest: infectious diseases, emerging diseases, epidemiology, neglected tropical diseases, surveillance
Additional info: I'm in the student council, vice-president of a public health student association, secretary of my class. I've been involved in countless community outreach projects including vaccination campaigns and providing food and care to homeless communities.
Programs of interest (All PhD Epi):
-Indiana Bloomington, Columbia, Yale, Tulane, Emory.

Last edited:
I'm well aware my GRE scores suck!!! I don't know what happened, my nerves got the best of me and time was as issue. I studied and practiced but still flunked. I'm planning to re-take as soon as I can before deadlines but what do you guys think overall? I'm an international student (hispanic), do you guys think this particular detail would make them less harsh on me for receiving such low scores? What other programs do you reccommend?

My profile:

UG: Biology mayor, GPA: 3.32
Masters in Public Health, GPA: 4.0
GRE: Verbal:150; Quant:146; AW: still waiting
TOEFL: will take on December
Conference presentations: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Fellow's Day and APHA next week.
Publications: 1 publication as a primary author, two publications as a co-author submitted.
Work experience: ~2 years as a student researcher working at the CDC- Dengue Branch in Puerto Rico in numerous projects regarding infectious diseases. I'm even leading a project right now that I proposed and it might even turn into a publication.
LoRs: 1 from thesis advisor, 1 from epidemiology faculty, 1 from EIS officer/Epidemiology Group leader at CDC-Dengue Branch (this letter should be very strong).
Research interest: infectious diseases, emerging diseases, epidemiology, neglected tropical diseases, surveillance
Additional info: I'm in the student council, vice-president of a public health student association, secretary of my class. I've been involved in countless community outreach projects including vaccination campaigns and providing food and care to homeless communities.
Programs of interest (All PhD Epi):
-Indiana Bloomington, Columbia, Yale, Tulane, Emory.

My reply might be too late... but with a perfect MPH GPA and publications (and focused research interests), I think you still have a pretty good chance to get into at least one of the schools you applied to as long as your interests match... Good luck!!

Does anyone know if any schools provide stipends for all admitted students?

That is very dependent on the school and the department.

I've received some good insight from my faculty advisor as I've been applying to PhD programs. She strongly discouraged attending a program that cannot offer you funding/tuition coverage for at LEAST your first 2 years. There is a very high opportunity cost for the time you'll be spending in school, plus an additional 1-2 years of post-doc.

That is very dependent on the school and the department.

I've received some good insight from my faculty advisor as I've been applying to PhD programs. She strongly discouraged attending a program that cannot offer you funding/tuition coverage for at LEAST your first 2 years. There is a very high opportunity cost for the time you'll be spending in school, plus an additional 1-2 years of post-doc.
Awesome, thanks for the info.

Korean physician with low GPA/GRE but various experiences in the world field and office together.
No DrPH section on the thread. I just put my info this thread.

I didn't hold mph degree, thus some schools I cannot apply for drph degree(like JHU). I have more interests in the field instead of research or office, thus I choose drph / mph. I will see what happen.

UG:
Medical School(MBBS equi) GPA 2.99/4.0
GRE: Verbal:151; Quant:170; AW: 3.0
IELTS : 7.0 ( L R S W / 8.5 7.5 6 6)

Conference presentations
:
none
Publications:
Acknowledgement on 2 WHO official publications
Contributing writer for 3 years in medical journal (Korean)
Work experience: 5 and half years
3 years governmental sector / Korea (community center director 1yr, ministry affiliate team manager/program leader 2 yrs)
2 years Physician at NGOs in Africa (Swaziland, Sudan, Egypt, South Africa, Niger)
1/2 years intern in WHO/ECEH
LoRs: 1 from medical school prof (social epi/did PhD in Harvard), 1 from former supervisor (epi/ did DrPH in Harvard, WHO team manager ), 1 from another former supervisor (environmental health/ WHO technical officer/German)
Research interest: NCD epidemiology in LMICs regarding multimorbidity conditions
Additional info:
some works in the field of public health (NGO's ODA proposal assistance, temporary consultant of IVI (international Vaccine Institute), technical assistance for national prostate research) / speak Korean, English, Arabic, French

Schools/programs:
Havard DrPH
Bonston University DrPh
Hopkins MPH/MBA
UMich MPH-epi

Last edited:
So, PhD applicant folks, any response from any universities you applied to? UMD told me I should hear back from them early January. Emory said I should hear back between February and March! It's gonna be a LOOONG next 2-3 months!

The Behavioral Sciences and Health Education department website at Emory mentions they provide funding to all admitted students.

So, PhD applicant folks, any response from any universities you applied to? UMD told me I should hear back from them early January. Emory said I should hear back between February and March! It's gonna be a LOOONG next 2-3 months!

I think late January or early February is pretty common.

Is anyone familiar with how the funding process, in general, works? Are offers extending with acceptances or does that come later? I believe schools typically accept ~ twice the number of students they want to actually matriculate. Funding may be dependent on who does/doesn't accept offers.

Early March is what I was told by the two programs I applied (UW & Harvard). I know I am aiming high this year, and I am ready to re-apply... This will be a long process...

Good luck to you!!! Hope you will hear some good news very soon!

The program I applied to at UW (global health metrics) says on their site that they provide funding for all students, since essentially you will be working for IHME the entire time you are there..

Korean physician with low GPA/GRE but various experiences in the world field and office together.
No DrPH section on the thread. I just put my info this thread.

I didn't hold mph degree, thus some schools I cannot apply for drph degree(like JHU). I have more interests in the field instead of research or office, thus I choose drph / mph. I will see what happen.

UG:
Medical School(MBBS equi) GPA 2.99/4.0
GRE: Verbal:151; Quant:170; AW: 3.0
IELTS : 7.0 ( L R S W / 8.5 7.5 6 6)

Conference presentations
:
none
Publications:
Acknowledgement on 2 WHO official publications
Contributing writer for 3 years in medical journal (Korean)
Work experience: 5 and half years
3 years governmental sector / Korea (community center director 1yr, ministry affiliate team manager/program leader 2 yrs)
2 years Physician at NGOs in Africa (Swaziland, Sudan, Egypt, South Africa, Niger)
1/2 years intern in WHO/ECEH
LoRs: 1 from medical school prof (social epi/did PhD in Harvard), 1 from former supervisor (epi/ did DrPH in Harvard, WHO team manager ), 1 from another former supervisor (environmental health/ WHO technical officer/German)
Research interest: NCD epidemiology in LMICs regarding multimorbidity conditions
Additional info:
some works in the field of public health (NGO's ODA proposal assistance, temporary consultant of IVI (international Vaccine Institute), technical assistance for national prostate research) / speak Korean, English, Arabic, French

Schools/programs:
Havard DrPH
Bonston University DrPh
Hopkins MPH/MBA
UMich MPH-epi

I think you have a truly remarkable package and what you have and who you are exactly what a DrPH program is looking for... Would love to hear your stories working in the field! I don't think the GRE and GPA would stop you...

My reply might be too late... but with a perfect MPH GPA and publications (and focused research interests), I think you still have a pretty good chance to get into at least one of the schools you applied to as long as your interests match... Good luck!!
Thanks!!! :)

Great encouragement. I will see what will happen next spring. ;)

I think you have a truly remarkable package and what you have and who you are exactly what a DrPH program is looking for... Would love to hear your stories working in the field! I don't think the GRE and GPA would stop you...

Has anyone heard from their schools lately?

For anyone that applied to Minnesota - received an e-mail last week that I made it through the first round, i.e. the admissions committee. Final 'round' is finding a faculty match, admission is dependent on that. Earlier email stated they expect to have final decisions by the end of January.

Just saw rejection decision from University of Maryland via their website. This if my first admission decision; feeling very upset:(

For anyone that applied to Minnesota - received an e-mail last week that I made it through the first round, i.e. the admissions committee. Final 'round' is finding a faculty match, admission is dependent on that. Earlier email stated they expect to have final decisions by the end of January.
Congratulations! This seems to be the first admission (or near admission) we've heard so far? I am sure you will have a successful match very soon!

Just saw rejection decision from University of Maryland via their website. This if my first admission decision; feeling very upset:(

I'm sorry to hear that... but hey you have several other schools right? I understand it must be really disheartening since this is the first decision, but it's not over yet! Rejection only means it's not a good match (based on many many reasons) and definitely doesn't mean you are not a strong candidate, and might actually be good before committing your next 4-5 years to a program that's not a fit... Hope you will hear some good news soon!