PhD/DO and PhD/MD chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoch2ch3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to apply to DO and MD dual degree PhD programs. I am a nontraditional student. I got a MS in Chemistry after getting a BA with double majors in Chem and Bio.

I have a pretty low undergrad GPA. (c=3.0 and s=2.8). I am retaking three classes this summer that would put me at a (c=3.2 and s=3.0 pending As). I got a D in Anatomy and am retaking it.

My MS in Chemistry went better. I have a 3.7 GPA. I got two C+s and retook and got a B in one of them. I haven't retaken the other one yet.

I have 1 publication first author and 3 years of research. Hopefully 2 by the time of my application. I haven't taken the MCAT yet (July 9th).

60 clinical volunteer hours. Strong DO letter of rec.

~1000 hours of nonclinical volunteering.

I have 9 semesters of teaching, also.

What are my chances with dual degree or just strictly DO programs?
Should I try to take more classes this summer?

Members don't see this ad.

Your undergrad gpa is an important data point that will be strongly considered in MD (and MSTP) programs. We have never interviewed an applicant for the dual degree with a gpa as low as yours. Your graduate gpa will not remediate this. No MCAT score is likely to get you in range for even most MD only programs. I have no experience with DO/PhD programs.

Your best bet will be with DO programs (single degree).

I am going to apply to DO and MD dual degree PhD programs. I am a nontraditional student. I got a MS in Chemistry after getting a BA with double majors in Chem and Bio.

I have a pretty low undergrad GPA. (c=3.0 and s=2.8). I am retaking three classes this summer that would put me at a (c=3.2 and s=3.0 pending As). I got a D in Anatomy and am retaking it.

My MS in Chemistry went better. I have a 3.7 GPA. I got two C+s and retook and got a B in one of them. I haven't retaken the other one yet.

I have 1 publication first author and 3 years of research. Hopefully 2 by the time of my application. I haven't taken the MCAT yet (July 9th).

60 clinical volunteer hours. Strong DO letter of rec.

~1000 hours of nonclinical volunteering.

I have 9 semesters of teaching, also.

What are my chances with dual degree or just strictly DO programs?
Should I try to take more classes this summer?

Reactions: 1 user