Physical fitness test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turkish

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do we take a PFT when we in-process for residency? I know you have to have a physical exam performed, but I thought there was a fitness test required as well...?

Also, can any military physician perform the physical exam?

Thanks for any help here.

Members don't see this ad.

turkish said:
Do we take a PFT when we in-process for residency? I know you have to have a physical exam performed, but I thought there was a fitness test required as well...?

Also, can any military physician perform the physical exam?

Thanks for any help here.

Not sure on the PFT contact your program director. Yes, any military doc can do the PE. (dd2807/2808)

NavyFP said:
Not sure on the PFT contact your program director. Yes, any military doc can do the PE. (dd2807/2808)

I can only speak for the Army.

During June you will take an APFT for diagnostic, this means that it doesn't count for anything. Later in October, you will take another APFT for record. This is the one that counts and if you fail, cannot be picked up for a residency spot.

On a side note, this is nothing more than another army goat rope. You as a military doc are required to maintain the same physical standards as an infantryman, yet you will be at work, taking care of patients at (at least) 5 AM. You will be at work until (at least) 6-7 PM. At our hospital, every new CG has promised residents better facilities to workout. Each time, they move the ancient equipment to a room, smaller, further away from everything, and stuff ends up missing.