Physics FAQs and Topic Writeups

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futuredoctr

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm reading my kaplan books (and others) and for example snell's law ( or any thing with a trig function) will come up and Ill derive it down (because after all I do have all equations memorized ) and I'll get something like Sin@=.3/1.8 (@=theta) and then the next thing I know the answer reads @=9.5 degrees. How do I do that? I believe its inverse sin, but in my head, come on?? Any help on how to figure problems like this out in a hurry would be great! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Futuredoctr said:
So I'm reading my kaplan books (and others) and for example snell's law ( or any thing with a trig function) will come up and Ill derive it down (because after all I do have all equations memorized ) and I'll get something like Sin@=.3/1.8 (@=theta) and then the next thing I know the answer reads @=9.5 degrees. How do I do that? I believe its inverse sin, but in my head, come on??
Good question, but the answer may be unsatisfying: you don't have to be able to do this on actual MCAT questions. All you would need to be able to do, at the very most, on a problem like the one you quoted is to see that sin(theta) is (a lot) less than 0.5, the sin of 30 degrees, so the angle is also (a lot) less than 30 degrees. That'll be enough to choose the answer using process of elimination.

So, here's the general aproach to MCAT questions that ask for an angle as an answer. First, the only angles you need to know anything about are 30, 45, and 60 degrees (plus things like 0 and 90, plus equivalent angles like 135 [which is the same as 45]). Moreover, you don't need to know them with any precision: on MCAT physics questions, one significant figure is plenty. This means that for 30 degrees, sine is 0.5 and cosine is 0.9; for 60 degrees these two are reversed, and for 45 degrees the sine and cosine are each 0.7. (Warning: MCAT chemistry questions sometimes do require more than one significant figure, but there's no trig needed for them.)

How, then, do you answer questions whose answers are other than these? Glad you asked. The rule is this: angular answers to MCAT problems can only be angles you know about, plus angles that are actually discussed in the question or the passage, unless only one of the four answer choices is possible. In other words, any answer choice that is an angle that you don't know anything about (i.e., haven't memorized the sine and cosine of) and that isn't listed in the passage, cannot be the answer unless all other choices are obviously wrong.

For the problem listed, either they gave you an abbreviated trig table listing, among other angles, 9.5 degrees, or that was an angle that was discussed in the passage, say an initial angle or an experimental value, or all the other choices were 30 degrees or more (or 0). No, that probably wasn't the case in your practice material, but on the MCAT, it will be so.

Next question if you have time. What equations are a must for the MCAT, as my review material contains seriously A LOT of equations, and if I need to commit them to the small memory I have left I should start now ;) .

Members don't see this ad :)
Futuredoctr said:
What equations are a must for the MCAT, as my review material contains seriously A LOT of equations, and if I need to commit them to the small memory I have left I should start now ;) .
That one's going to take some time to put together; give it a while, please, but eventually I'll have it in the FAQs.

Re my editing of your second post: I'm just trying to keep the thread fairly uncluttered, so I took out the big quotation of my answer.

Thanks for moving your question in here, and congratulations on being the first to take advantage of the new forum. I appreciate the opportunity to help.

To others: I'll be looking for help. If you know your physics and want to lend a hand, please PM me.

Hey Shrike, I can put together some equations if you want. I scored a 13 on the PS section a few years back. Just tell me if you are busy

Hey Shrike,
I guess my question to you would be about how best to tackle Physics.....it's been a loooong time since I took physics, and I'm having a hard time trying to learn all this stuff again. I guess the stuff that's giving me the most trouble is Newtonian Mechanics, but I really do need to go over everything. So what would you suggest is the best way to tackle it? Thanks.

DarkLordofSith said:
I guess my question to you would be about how best to tackle Physics.....it's been a loooong time since I took physics, and I'm having a hard time trying to learn all this stuff again. I guess the stuff that's giving me the most trouble is Newtonian Mechanics, but I really do need to go over everything. So what would you suggest is the best way to tackle it? Thanks.
You will need to two things by the time you're done: (1) the basic equations, a list of which I'll be compiling (there are somwhere between thirty and fifty that I believe you absolutely must know) and some related definitions; and (2) an understanding of the major concepts. For example, with Newtonian mechanics, you need F = ma, F(G) = GMm/R^2, the equations for uniformly accelerated motion (e.g., d = v(0)t + 0.5at^2), and an understanding of three concepts: velocity and acceleration can be in the same or different directions; all forces and motion can be broken into x- and y-components, which you then deal with separately; and with projectiles, once you've broken the motion down into components the x-component is trivial, because v(x) remains constant always.

That's the general idea, though of course it doesn't really answer your question. Give me a while; I'll be writing it up. Essentially, I need to put nine two-and-a-half-hour lectures into print, and I don't type fast. Meanwhile, the more specific questions are easier to address, but keep asking whatever you want answers to.

Thanks for the help......Just a suggestion, but could you do a thread that's "General Physics Concepts" and put it in there......this thread could be more for specific questions and the other one could be a thread exclusively for mods where you add general info that you feel would be beneficial for the average test taker to know.

alright torque problem:
a massless plank with a length of 4 m has two weights placed on it. One with a mass of 10 kg on the left edge of the plank, while the other mass of 20 kg is placed 1.5 m inward from the opposite right edge. Where should the fulcrum be located if the plank with the weights on it were to remain horizontal?
Also do i have to use the CCW and CW to determine whats negative and positive torque?

Abe said:
a massless plank with a length of 4 m has two weights placed on it. One with a mass of 10 kg on the left edge of the plank, while the other mass of 20 kg is placed 1.5 m inward from the opposite right edge. Where should the fulcrum be located if the plank with the weights on it were to remain horizontal?
The plank is massless, so only the two weights matter. Never mind the equation for this problem; one's twice as heavy, so the fulcrum needs to be only half as far from it. With the numbers given, one third of the distance between the two weights is 0.83m from the larger mass, 1.67 from the smaller mass (and therefore the left edge).

When using the center of mass equation/center of gravity equation, I recommend always putting the zero at the left-most mass or force (because you're used to zero being on the left). If you do that, you don't have to mess with the signs so much when handling torques: up is one sign, down is the other; no clockwise or counterclockwise.

The center of mass (which is where you want the fulcrum) is at

CoM = (m1X1 + m2X2)/(m1 + m2) = (10kg x 0m + 20kg x 2.5m)/(20kg + 10kg) = (5/3)m = 1.67m​

Abe said:
Also do i have to use the CCW and CW to determine whats negative and positive torque?
Don't worry about using a different sign for different directions. In most problems, you care only about equilibrium, so everything zeros out anyway. If you have to calculate a torque, figure out its magnitude and then ask yourself what direction it's going.

DarkLordofSith said:
Just a suggestion, but could you do a thread that's "General Physics Concepts" and put it in there......this thread could be more for specific questions and the other one could be a thread exclusively for mods where you add general info that you feel would be beneficial for the average test taker to know.
We may eventually arrange it that way; we'll see what we come up with by way of general concepts (and how quickly).

Thanks for the suggestion.

I could really use some help in understanding the buoyancy force in relation to figuring out the density of an submerged object. The archimedes principle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why is it that no current runs through a capacitor in a circuit if the circuit has been on for a while?

blankguy said:
Why is it that no current runs through a capacitor in a circuit if the circuit has been on for a while?
Because that's the nature of a capacitor. The way a capacitor stores charge, and therefore energy, is by keeping charges crossing from one part (one plate, in the usual parallel plate capacitor) to the other, even though they want to. In the parallel plate capacitor, the plates are separated by a non-conductor, or by vacuum (which doesn't conduct current either). As long as the capacitor doesn't fail, charges can't cross through it.

The reason there is current in the short run is that charges are filling up the capacitor -- none of them is going through it.

When a capacitor fails -- it's often called dielectric breakdown -- the voltage has become high enough that those charges can get across the non-conductor (or vacuum) between the plates. Then, current flows, and all bets are off. This doesn't happen on the MCAT, as far as I know.

Another sort of question. In the subject of machines(ramp, pulley, lever). Isn't the ramp inefficient in the way that the work(which leads to force) is being wasted on the horizontal component as opposed to lifting an object staright up in which everything goes to the vertical component. I realize that there is less work per vertical motion (as it is gradual) but isn't it inefficient?

blankguy said:
In the subject of machines(ramp, pulley, lever). Isn't the ramp inefficient in the way that the work(which leads to force) is being wasted on the horizontal component as opposed to lifting an object straight up in which everything goes to the vertical component?
Not really. Pushing and pulling is conservative on the MCAT: no energy is lost. On the other hand, if energy is used to accelerate the block (up the ramp, or otherwise), then that energy isn't available to lift the block while the speed is increased (relative to its starting speed). On a complex problem this could matter, but in a simple problem we would assume either constant or negligible speed. In either of these simpler cases, all of the energy that goes into pushing or pulling is translated into potential energy by lifting the block, rather than kinetic energy by speeding it up.

im confused with the topic if of weightlessness
a 5kg object is considered weightless when:
I chose when its accelarting up at 9.8 m/s^2
the answer is down, im just thinking weightless means mg is 0 so Forces acting on it should cancel out right? I dont know what im trying to say the answer and explanation they gave is confusing.

Weight is the force due to gravity, which on earth is mg. An object has no weight when there is no acceleration due to gravity.

Alternatively, I guess an object could be considered weightless if something cancels out mg, like objects with densities identical to water that are submerged in water. This is why NASA conducts some of its training underwater and why senior citizens excercise in water. They don't have to deal with the forces being exerted by that pesky gravity.

Tell us what question/answer/explanation is giving you trouble and we can probably give a better response.

-X

Abe said:
I chose when its accelarting up at 9.8 m/s^2
the answer is down, im just thinking weightless means mg is 0 so Forces acting on it should cancel out right? I dont know what im trying to say the answer and explanation they gave is confusing.

xanthines said:
Weight is the force due to gravity, which on earth is mg. An object has no weight when there is no acceleration due to gravity.

Alternatively, I guess an object could be considered weightless if something cancels out mg, like objects with densities identical to water that are submerged in water. This is why NASA conducts some of its training underwater and why senior citizens excercise in water. They don't have to deal with the forces being exerted by that pesky gravity.

Tell us what question/answer/explanation is giving you trouble and we can probably give a better response.

-X

thats what im saying if mg is pointing down and the answer i chose is the opposite of g than why isnt it weightless. Instead the answer is if it accelerates downward with g???

Abe said:
Weight is defined as the force of gravity on an object, and always equals mg. In popular parlance, an object is "weightless" when its apparent weight is zero. Apparent weight is just what a scale would read if the object were sitting on it; i.e., it's the force exterted on it, in an upward direction, by what it's resting on (or, occasionally, hanging from). An object is therefore weightless when the floor et al is not pushing it up; in other words, when it's in free fall.

Another example of apperent weight being zero is a neutrally buouyant object submerged in a fluid, or any object floating in equilibrium on the surface of the fluid. Because the buoyant force balances the force of gravity, no more force is needed to support it and a scale under the object would read zero.

Abe: if the object were accelerating upward at 10m/s^2, then that would be because there was a force pushing it up. That force would be sufficient to overcome gravity, and still push it upward just as fast as gravity wanted to push it down. Hence, its apparent weight would be doubled from what it was at rest -- the scale under it would read 2mg, because that's how strong the force would have to be.

xanthines said:

-X

thats what im saying if mg is pointing down and the answer i chose is the opposite of g than why isnt it weightless. Instead the answer is if it accelerates downward with g???

Test post.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
1234567890 !@#$%^&*()
`-=[]\;',./ ~_+{}|:"<>? book antiqua

1234567890 !@#$%^&*()
`-=[]\;',./ ~_+{}|:"<>? cen goithic

1234567890 !@#$%^&*()