Physics on the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shireiqiang

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anybody take the MCAT before you finished the second half of physics? How did it go? Is there a lot of second half physics on the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Every MCAT is different. On my exam I had two physics "passages" each of which had about 5 or 6 questions associated with it, as well as a couple stand alone questions. The two passages both happen to be third semester physics (at least at my institution)...one was electricity and magnetism (we covered some of it in physics II but go over in more detail in physics III) and the other passage had to do with lenses. I only remember one of the stand alone questions being pretty basic newtonian physics.

If you are worried if the physics you've had will be enough, stop. Go out and buy an MCAT prep book that deals specifically with the physical sciences portion of the MCAT. Kaplan, princeton review, etc. all lay out the foundation you'll need to be successful in any topic on the MCAT.

Again, every MCAT is different but from all of the practice tests I've done you're almost quaranteed to get a passage dealing with lenses. Other people may say differently...this was just my experience, take it with a grain of salt as it was my weakest subject with a score of 10 when it was all said and done.