PLEASE HELPPPPPP! MCAT IN 3 DAYS!!! DELAY????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bostoncollegepremed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm supposed to be taking the exam in 3 days and my average is around a 31-32 range for AAMC practice test and 30 for Kaplan. My GPA took a big hit with physics junior year so I have a 3.4 science and 3.5 overall from Boston College. I've only been studying for a month and I feel there's a lot left to learn. SHOULD I DELAY MY EXAM??

I was planning on applying this cycle (i know this mcat date is really late already) so should i postpone it to august or just woman up and take it and apply???

I've heard that it's better to not risk it and take it once. opinions? PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm supposed to be taking the exam in 3 days and my average is around a 31-32 range for AAMC practice test and 30 for Kaplan. My GPA took a big hit with physics junior year so I have a 3.4 science and 3.5 overall from Boston College. I've only been studying for a month and I feel there's a lot left to learn. SHOULD I DELAY MY EXAM??

I was planning on applying this cycle (i know this mcat date is really late already) so should i postpone it to august or just woman up and take it and apply???

I've heard that it's better to not risk it and take it once. opinions? PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE!!!!
If you've been scoring 31-32 on average, that's a pretty solid score. If you feel like there's room for improvement and are willing to delay your application, then by all means do. At this point though, you mind as well take the test - see how you feel about it and decide whether or not to void. You never know, it might hit all your strengths.

Reactions: 1 user
If you've been scoring 31-32 on average, that's a pretty solid score. If you feel like there's room for improvement and are willing to delay your application, then by all means do. At this point though, you mind as well take the test - see how you feel about it and decide whether or not to void. You never know, it might hit all your strengths.

I'm in agreement with almost all of this. The ONLY thing I would add is that if you choose to take the test, find out how long you have to wait before taking another MCAT. I think there's some waiting period. Can't remember the details.

Members don't see this ad :)
You never really know whether to void it or not. Most people take the MCAT and think they do horribly on it. So I wouldn't trust your gut feeling after the MCAT. but thats my two cents.
Yeah, that's true and why I hesitated saying that. At least for me though, when I usually feel comfortable with most passages I encounter, I usually end up doing alright. I guess that's not always the case though.

another thing that you should consider is the monetary cost of canceling the MCAT this late. Don't get me wrong if you wanna delay it go ahead. but if someone helped you pay for that, and I would really suggest doing them a big favor before asking them for more money. To me, that is only fair. If its your money. Oh well, we all make bad monetary mistakes. What are you aiming for on the MCAT? I understand that people tend to either just as well as their AAMC average or slightly lower.

I really would like to go to NYU (dream school right now) and so I want to get a 35 or above.

Yeah, that's true and why I hesitated saying that. At least for me though, when I usually feel comfortable with most passages I encounter, I usually end up doing alright. I guess that's not always the case though.

Yeah I mean my scores fluctuate between 9-12 in PR 10-12 in BS and 9-12 in VR so I don't feel comfortable I mean I could get 12s and all and get a 36 but i could also get 9,10,9 and get a 28 so i don't know what to do.

The exact scores were:

AAMC 3: 11,11,10 - 32
AAMC 5: 11,9,11 - 31
AAMC 6: 12,9,12 - 33
AAMC 7: 8,11,12 - 31 (not sure what happened with that PS)

A part of me thinks I can do better.... but is it worth it?

If you really value NYU and really want a 35 (which still doesn't guarantee you NYU), then delay. You most likely won't get a 35 if the highest you have gotten is 33. It's possible, but if that 35 is so important to you, then delay, if you want to increases your chances you need to delay, study hard, and take more exams. Even though I don't think you should delay, and NYU is way too expensive anyway.