POD school rankings...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geoff325

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is sure to generate a heated debate, but what is the general consensus on school rank? I think most agree that DMU and Scholl are 1 and 2, but where does AZPOD fit into everything. Also, how long has DMU, scholl and AZPOD been taking to respond after initially submitting your apps?

Members don't see this ad.

Please use the search function. This has been discussed endlessly.

I can already predict where this conversation is heading...

An AZPOD kid will say AZPOD is number one (Dr. Gangrene?)
A Barry kid will say Barry is number one (Feli perhaps?)
A scholl kid will say Scholl is number one (95% of people on this forum)

etc etc

So lets just close this thread now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this is sure to generate a heated debate, but what is the general consensus on school rank? I think most agree that DMU and Scholl are 1 and 2, but where does AZPOD fit into everything. Also, how long has DMU, scholl and AZPOD been taking to respond after initially submitting your apps?

Look at 1st time pass rate on the board scores to see how the school stacks up against others (which at DMU and AZPOD was 100%, Scholl was 88% I believe, which was lower than normal for them). Look at residency placements as well (big name programs, 2 year vs 3 year residencies, etc). Also things to consider are independent vs university affiliated programs, location, quality of rotations, campus, class size, student life, etc.

A number of things for me, in terms of rank, are relative. From interviewing everywhere, it seemed that all the schools have strengths and weaknesses. A lot of people here will piss on Barry, CSPM, Ohio, NYCPM...but they all have good traits, and certain aspects that will appeal to certain people. Your #1 may not be the same as another person's #1.

Considering AzPod, Awesome board scores, small class size, part of a medical university, good weather, on campus housing all appealed to me.

I was really excited for the interview but left the day a bit disappointed. It was a monsoon that day (literally) but of course that is not the norm for Phoenix area. I felt the interview day was disorganized and we spoke to only 1 pod student, and that was by chance in the cafeteria. It is a newer school though, so I guess things are not perfected yet. There are no merit scholarships available either (at least last year). Midwestern added 100 DO's to their class size so now you have 250 DO's plus 35 DPM's in your basic science lectures (pretty damn big). Seems like retention rate is not so great and you have a number of people repeating years or dropping out due to the program intensity. From talking to students, it appears the program is not very diverse at all and majority are from one specific religious sect. Not a bad thing per se, just a lot different from what I'm used to.

I'm sure the program is strong overall, but I just couldn't see myself as a student there. PM me if you have more questions or thoughts.

Look at 1st time pass rate on the board scores to see how the school stacks up against others (which at DMU and AZPOD was 100%, Scholl was 88% I believe, which was lower than normal for them). Look at residency placements as well (big name programs, 2 year vs 3 year residencies, etc). Also things to consider are independent vs university affiliated programs, location, quality of rotations, campus, class size, student life, etc.

A number of things for me, in terms of rank, are relative. From interviewing everywhere, it seemed that all the schools have strengths and weaknesses. A lot of people here will piss on Barry, CSPM, Ohio, NYCPM...but they all have good traits, and certain aspects that will appeal to certain people. Your #1 may not be the same as another person's #1.

Considering AzPod, Awesome board scores, small class size, part of a medical university, good weather, on campus housing all appealed to me.

I was really excited for the interview but left the day a bit disappointed. It was a monsoon that day (literally) but of course that is not the norm for Phoenix area. I felt the interview day was disorganized and we spoke to only 1 pod student, and that was by chance in the cafeteria. It is a newer school though, so I guess things are not perfected yet. There are no merit scholarships available either (at least last year). Midwestern added 100 DO's to their class size so now you have 250 DO's plus 35 DPM's in your basic science lectures (pretty damn big). Seems like retention rate is not so great and you have a number of people repeating years or dropping out due to the program intensity. From talking to students, it appears the program is not very diverse at all and majority are from one specific religious sect. Not a bad thing per se, just a lot different from what I'm used to.

I'm sure the program is strong overall, but I just couldn't see myself as a student there. PM me if you have more questions or thoughts.

For what year are you referencing?

etc etc

Your prediction failed... ;)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=7153827#post7153827
My answer to a "best pod school" thread just like this^ and my general take on picking a pod school...
Different schools are better for different people; it depends on your goals and your needs.

GL to Geoff with his apps :thumbup:

nm

Last edited:
Scholl had a 90% pass rate, not 88% (which is still a little low for us). And there really aren't many Scholl posters on SDN, Des Moines seems to be the dominant posting school by far.

Dorsum of the Penis College of Podiatric Medicine is a new island school that is turning out literally tens of podiatrists. It is gaining ground with a 3% board pass rate last year and 4% pass rate this year. Give it 86 years and it will be up there with the best.

Dorsum of the Penis College of Podiatric Medicine is a new island school that is turning out literally tens of podiatrists. It is gaining ground with a 3% board pass rate last year and 4% pass rate this year. Give it 86 years and it will be up there with the best.

Hey. Manhattan is an island. Are you sure you're not talking about NYCPM?:laugh:

etc etc

Man, you are 0 for 2! :laugh:
Azpod does have many nice features, and I am very happy I go here. I have to agree with Feli, to each there own.

I think there is one important thing to remember; the base of knowledge you go to school to learn is the same anywhere. You can learn the same things in east/west etc. etc.
IMO, some schools just facilitate the learning a little better than others.

etc etc

You really think Scholl is 95% of people on this forum? I don't know many Scholl kids who post on SDN. In my experience the majority come from DMU with a number from Temple and Ohio.

You really think Scholl is 95% of people on this forum? I don't know many Scholl kids who post on SDN. In my experience the majority come from DMU with a number from Temple and Ohio.

I will try and start a poll to find out.... (in the pod section)