Podiatry Satisfaction Poll

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How satisfied are you with your decision to become a Podiatrist

• Very Satisfied

Votes: 36 29.3%
  • Satisfied

Votes: 29 23.6%
  • Neither satisfied nor dissatisfied

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • Dissatisfied

Votes: 14 11.4%
  • Very dissatisfied

Votes: 20 16.3%

• Total voters

Jummy Biffett

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Figured this would be an interesting question to pose given the discussion lately about satisfaction with our chosen career path.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm as satisfied as seeing a sizzling steak being put in front of me only to find out when I cut into it that its as charred as the charcoal it was cooked on.

• Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
It’s a job. It pays more, I have more autonomy, and I dislike it less than any other job I’ve had. But there are better paths I could’ve taken if I’d figured life out when I was a little younger. I’m going with the “meh” option.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would say satisfied...
The need for serious location flexibility to find good podiatry jobs (or places to potentially open a PP without too much cost or competition) is tough. It's also annoying to be knocked out of the city or half of it after most podiatry jobs or to get rejected for biz loans MDs would get much easier.

If I had the higher debt burden and 3 more podiatry schools of grads today (vs 15yrs ago), I'd probably have picked middle ground.
Even though avg DPM training is up, overall ROI is down from what it was in years past, no doubt.

There are a ton of worse jobs in terms of quality or challenge, but you'd have much less time/tuition cost and your pick of location in many of those.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Satisfied

Satisfied
Did better than what I thought I would do in life.

I had to sleep on this one. I'm not terribly unhappy with my life as a podiatrist. But the price I paid (and continue to pay) to get here was too steep. When I think of the suffering and humiliation we have to endure as students/residents, there's a lot to be desired here.

Reactions: 5 users
I had to sleep on this one. I'm not terribly unhappy with my life as a podiatrist. But the price I paid (and continue to pay) to get here was too steep. When I think of the suffering and humiliation we have to endure as students/residents, there's a lot to be desired here.
That’s why I picked neither. I’m happy to be working at a job with great benefits but it’s the employer/situation that makes me happy not the profession.

Same here, slept on it and then this morning wiped the drool off my face, flipped my pillow over to hide the drool stain, and then hopped on the internets to vote. Had I not been super screwed in pod private practice before getting a real job, I probably would’ve gone with satisfied, but since I did get screwed like a majority of new grads, I decided to vote neutral.

Excellent idea! I'm curious what the result will be with a larger sample size :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Dissatisfied. I got my job through a combination of luck and sending the right email at the right time. I never want to put my family through that stress again.

However, at the end of the day I do OK (for now) and things could definitely be worse. I agree that the price paid to get to this point is too high. I would be sweating bullets if I were in Pod school now, with tuition skyrocketing and knowing that’s even more graduates fighting each other for scraps in the job market.

• Dislike
Reactions: 6 users
Went for neither. The job I have is relaxed, 3 days off 3.5 days patient care. Good income for the COL with mediocre benefits. The rigors to get to this and the bleak amount of job opportunity makes me think back to undergrad and I can't help but feel there was a better choice. I neither love nor hate what I do. It is just a job at this point but it allows me to have time to spend with family and friends and do other things I enjoy.

For those that wish they could get out, if you can secure a comfortable income, this is a profession that allows you time to invest or diversify. Franchise opportunities are always available and if you have some ability to take risk it is possible to get to a point where podiatry isn't the only thing bringing food to the table.

Neutral. I don't like the debt burden to get the job, the pay itself sucks, and the oversaturated job market, but overall I'm not unemployed and it pays enough for a decent living.

Neutral. I don't like the debt burden to get the job, the pay itself sucks, and the oversaturated job market, but overall I'm not unemployed and it pays enough for a decent living.
Would the pay be relatively satisfactory if podiatry school didn't have ridiculous tuition costs?

Satisfied
But constantly think how lucky I am for the job I have, as it could be way worse. Have some friends that haven’t been as lucky who are amazing pods.
So for me, right now, satisfied. But would I do it again? No. Too much risk, and debt.
There are great jobs in our field, but too few of them to put in 7 years of training for. I love some of the work I do and hate other parts, but that’s MOST jobs whether you are here or in another field.
I wish it were different and everyone could get a great job-and not get eaten by the mustache pods.

*Also the podiatry meme thread is pure gold. Look forward every couple days to come in and check on the great material, well done er’one.

Would the pay be relatively satisfactory if podiatry school didn't have ridiculous tuition costs?
Still no. It's not satisfactory when considering other specialties pay more and the training involved for podiatry. Tuition kills the ROI comparison, and having it lower still does not satisfy most podiatrists.

Satisfied - with my current job set up and pay. I’m able to support my family comfortably in a higher COL area and still save for retirement/splurge. Work is work, I don’t bring it home.

Unsatisfied - with what it took to get here along with the politics of our profession, the uncertainty of the future of our profession as it can implode one day and game is over.

I would not choose this profession again. I would never recommend to any pre pods. And will never let my children follow. Not a disgruntled poster, just realistic.

Reactions: 8 users
Still no. It's not satisfactory when considering other specialties pay more and the training involved for podiatry. Tuition kills the ROI comparison, and having it lower still does not satisfy most podiatrists.
Thank you.

All the pre pods should go through this thread. Somehow, we should sticky this thread in the pre pod forum.

I voted neutral. Boba’s “meh” comment was spot on. I have a good job and live comfortably but dang near ruined a marriage getting there. Not to mention my current position was largely dumb luck. I have time for myself and money to do fun things and have expensive toys. That’s the plus. I would never do podiatry again and wouldn’t recommend it to any student interested in a healthcare career. The chance that they experience a career full of struggle (like my first 4-5 years out of residency) is higher than the chance they work 3-4 days a week and make over $300k. I’m satisfied with my current job but dissatisfied with most of the process it took to get here and the problems I have with our profession and the DPM degree itself.

Reactions: 7 users
No. The tuition isn't the issue. The job search was a hot mess. IF it was high tuition but then I could work wherever I want and make what I make now. I would inch towards satisfied. The final push to satisfied would be all of that and new seasons of Firefly.

I’m satisfied. I’m a PP associate in a major city working straight % no base. Made more first year out than pretty much most of the usual associate offers out there.

I love what I do day to day. I have a good boss that gives me the freedom to practice as I like. I don’t take hospital call, I still refer out cases that I don’t/can’t do. I think there are good associate jobs out there as long as you’re working for the right person (aka avoid the mustaches).

At the end of the day a job is a job though, I think the field of medicine has an unfortunate reputation of becoming one’s identity but it’s important to treat the job as a job and have a separate personal life which should in all honesty be more enjoyable than your work.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I’m satisfied. I’m a PP associate in a major city working straight % no base. Made more first year out than pretty much most of the usual associate offers out there.

A unicorn PP associate job??? Obviously you have to give us the deets.

What is your straight %?

How much did you make last year?

How many patients do you see per day? Per month?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I don’t mind telling people it in person but would rather not shout it on SDN lol. I will say that HOW I practice helps. I do 5 days of clinic a week which is a lot, but that’s also where the money is made.

If you’re operating or taking call and only getting the associate % for that instead of full pay it is just not worth your time.

Last edited:
From his username it sounds like he's the arthroeresis king 👑

• Care
  • Haha
If I had a job my freinds have I would be miserable. But with where I am living and the pay I have with the autonomy I am pretty happy. So its situational.
It would be nice to not have to get lucky to be happy.

Results seem obvious if/when someone gets a good job or creates one.....situationally they usually like podiatry. The fix???? What we have been saying....we are saturated and need to significantly cut slots in the schools which won't happen. The only way the situation improves is a decade or two of seriously decreased enrollments that cause several schools to close or permanently or decrease slots.

Can most recommend podiatry to others....no, but to be fair very desirable specialties often say the same thing.

More concerning is why.....the job market. Do people typically go through a long and expensive profession knowing they will enter a poor job market? Rarely, unless the overall economy is in the gutter and other professional job markets are no better.

Podiatry makes sense if

1. You want to roll the dice on a ROI and open your own business

2. You want to roll the dice on ROI and are sure you can standout in someway and are geographically open which equals a good organizational job.

3. If You were very lucky to get into podiatry school and had few or no other options and were currently at a low paying dead end job. You would think most could have at least been an RN and gone on to be a NP. You are also more at risk if barely getting in that you will not do well or flunk out so this one sort of works both way. If you were lazy you better change, if you are truly a poor science student you will have to try harder and and probably still get below average grades. You better have exceptional social and networking skills to make up for your poor grades to get a good residency.

I can not recommend podiatry school to those who could get into DO or even PA school. It is hard enough recommending it those who can get into a BSN program as they can make the crazy money now and become an NP later.

No matter why one enters podiatry school most will eventually do well and have reasonable job satisfaction, but honesty too many will not. Don't fool yourself and think otherwise many of those podiatry did not workout for were normal people socially and good students/residents/podiatrists. For those who are weird or antisocial etc run far from podiatry and become a remote work RN or night nurse.

Last edited:
No matter why one enters podiatry school most will eventually do well and have reasonable job satisfaction, but honesty too many will not.

Just wanted to reiterate this but also say that ‘most’ is too optimistic and not reality. Also massive emphasis on ‘eventually’. You could be stuck in private practice making a nurse’s salary for 5+ years before you finally score a real job. You aren’t going to be saving any kind of money during this period as you will be scraping by with a lower middle class lifestyle paying for loans + life. Imagine 7 years of post grad training, and then a very high risk of an additional 5 years of not having good financial independence.

• Dislike
Just wanted to reiterate this but also say that ‘most’ is too optimistic and not reality. Also massive emphasis on ‘eventually’. You could be stuck in private practice making a nurse’s salary for 5+ years before you finally score a real job. You aren’t going to be saving any kind of money during this period as you will be scraping by with a lower middle class lifestyle paying for loans + life. Imagine 7 years of post grad training, and then a very high risk of an additional 5 years of not having good financial independence.
Largely agree.

ROI calculations are difficult and involve many factors.

I think one can say that even if one eventually makes what sounds like a good salary in their later years when one factors in the length/cost of training, typical poor salary in early years, few loan repayment programs at most jobs, and ofter poor benefits the ROI is not good.

I will stick with my generalization.

25 percent of time podiatry is a good ROI

50 percent of the time it depends on many factors but podiatry is likely a mediocre ROI at best. Getting to mediocre will still involve higher incomes eventually than what one starts out at as an associate. One could usually come out ahead as an RN or PA, especially if they work a little overtime in their early years. In the right setting they could retire young also.

25 percent (at least) it is unquestionably a poor ROI....but one is often trapped by a likely worse ROI leaving the profession.

Maybe just maybe leaving and becoming an RN at a job where all loans qualified for forgiveness you could come out ahead if you picked up some overtime on weekends. If you worked somewhere that had a pension you could up your retirement income by eventually becoming an NP. This switch would probably have to be done early in career no more than 5 years out or one might have to work beyond the normal retirement age to come out significantly ahead of doing mobile podiatry etc.

Last edited:
There are some people who are okay with or even prefer not living in a big city so have an easier time finding opportunities. Some already have a good gig lined up back home due to connections or family. In those cases, podiatry is worth it.

There are some people who are okay with or even prefer not living in a big city so have an easier time finding opportunities. Some already have a good gig lined up back home due to connections or family. In those cases, podiatry is worth it.

Again, going to emphasize RURAL. As in, you’re driving an hour just to find a damn Walmart. This is what new grads can expect if they want to apply to a real job with less than 100+ applicants, instead it’ll be like 50 applicants. RIP.

Yes I have known many to get hospital, ortho or even a PP job with a fair buy in because of hometown connections. No different than any profession, but with podiatry it makes a larger difference because our job market is so bad. I am not sure I would go into podiatry counting on a hometown connection to be a 100 percent guarantee though.

Again, going to emphasize RURAL. As in, you’re driving an hour just to find a damn Walmart. This is what new grads can expect if they want to apply to a real job with less than 100+ applicants, instead it’ll be like 50 applicants. RIP.

Some of the rural talk on here is a bit dramatic. I live in an area of around 300,000 people. I work at a rural critical access hospital and it has a Walmart and a Home Depot 2 miles down the road.

Obviously the job market blows. But @air bud BFE rural is not a requirement to find an employed job.

• Care
Some of the rural talk on here is a bit dramatic. I live in an area of around 300,000 people. I work at a rural critical access hospital and it has a Walmart and a Home Depot 2 miles down the road.

Obviously the job market blows. But @air bud BFE rural is not a requirement to find an employed job.
I worked in a place where the closest major city was on the other side of the (Canadian) border. But in most of the places I worked had a Walmart and were college towns or near college towns.

This thread is honestly depressing and makes me wonder if I should explore other avenues while in residency and hope to make the switch out at some point.

It’s not that I don’t enjoy podiatry. I mean I enjoy surgery. I enjoy some of the clinical stuff too. I’m at a pretty good program and we get a lot of volume so I am getting good experience or exposure. Like I know I am going to be trained well enough to be a good doctor and good surgeon but will I even get a job that allows me to use my training? I feel like by the time I graduate, that’s gonna be an even bigger no. I am just worried since I’m someone who is unfortunately tied to a geographic location and that location I would say is saturated (DMV area) so I am scared I won’t be able to find a job in that area that’ll allow me to actually use my training and will have to resort to nail jail or something

This thread is honestly depressing and makes me wonder if I should explore other avenues while in residency and hope to make the switch out at some point.

It’s not that I don’t enjoy podiatry. I mean I enjoy surgery. I enjoy some of the clinical stuff too. I’m at a pretty good program and we get a lot of volume so I am getting good experience or exposure. Like I know I am going to be trained well enough to be a good doctor and good surgeon but will I even get a job that allows me to use my training? I feel like by the time I graduate, that’s gonna be an even bigger no. I am just worried since I’m someone who is unfortunately tied to a geographic location and that location I would say is saturated (DMV area) so I am scared I won’t be able to find a job in that area that’ll allow me to actually use my training and will have to resort to nail jail or something
It honestly probably makes no sense for you to switch now.

The fact you have good training and confidence is great.

Try twice as hard if necessary for job search even if you only get a mediocre first job.

Continue to network and apply to the limited area you live in. Keep track of surgical paperwork and x-rays pics for boards.

Solo practice is slowly going away, but It is still possible to open your own office in podiatry and do much better than being an associate most often.

You need to focus on the job search. Many on here who found a good job or a better than average in a saturated area started their job search before their 3rd year.

Try not to come on this site too often if it depresses you. Podiatry is not changing anytime soon.

Last edited:
It honestly probably makes no sense for you to switch now.

The fact you have good training and confidence is great.

Try twice as hard if necessary for job search even if you only get a mediocre first job.

Continue to network and apply to the limited area you live in. Keep track of surgical paperwork and x-rays pics for boards.

Solo practice is slowly going away, but It is still possible to open your own office in podiatry and do much better than being an associate most often.

You need to focus on the job search. Many on here who found a good job or a better than average in a saturated area started there job search before their 3rd year.

Try not to come on this site too often if it depresses you. Podiatry is not changing anytime soon.
When is too early to start the job search? I just don’t know when to start looking exactly and don’t want to start too late but also don’t want to be laughed at by starting too early. I also feel like currently being on the opposite side of the country of where I want to end up practicing makes things even more difficult.

I would consider opening up my own practice right out of residency if I wasn’t worried about BC as I don’t think I’d get enough patients to do surgery to get certified though I guess that could be true of a PP associate job I take as well

I try not to be on these forums too much but I also want to know the reality of what I’m going to be facing when I start the job search

When is too early to start the job search? I just don’t know when to start looking exactly and don’t want to start too late but also don’t want to be laughed at by starting too early. I also feel like currently being on the opposite side of the country of where I want to end up practicing makes things even more difficult.

I would consider opening up my own practice right out of residency if I wasn’t worried about BC as I don’t think I’d get enough patients to do surgery to get certified though I guess that could be true of a PP associate job I take as well

I try not to be on these forums too much but I also want to know the reality of what I’m going to be facing when I start the job search
Applying to a hospital or VA job more than a year out might be too early, but you can start networking before then with the larger groups and hospital recruiters etc. Better too soon than too late. Getting used to talking on the phone and interviewing so you do well for the job you want when the time comes is a good thing also.

BC is important but not everything, but yah don't take a mobile podiatry job unless you need to for a 6 month band-aid in a bad situation.

I applied right at the beginning of third year. I didn’t get interviews until September/October/November of 3rd year. I ended up interviewing at 3 hospitals, 1 podiatry group and 1 Endocrinology group. I had two offers by the end of November.

You should definitely be aware of the reality. I would start applying towards the end of 2nd year and start the job search DAILY as soon as 3rd year starts. I think you need to consider your options. If you stay in the DMV there is a highly probability that you will make 100k as an associate. If you’re willing to go rural for a few years, build a nest egg and get board cert then there’s a chance you might be selected out of the 100+ applicants for a real job. Godspeed.

You need a very good cover letter and CV also. Don't use the same one for every job. Change up the cover letter at least a little for each job as appropriate. When you have more experience you might even change up your CV slightly.

So many either don't take the time or are ignorant how bad theirs is. Follow up with email or phone calls, for the jobs you really want a couple weeks after applying but don't be annoying.

Last edited:
I applied right at the beginning of third year. I didn’t get interviews until September/October/November of 3rd year. I ended up interviewing at 3 hospitals, 1 podiatry group and 1 Endocrinology group. I had two offers by the end of November.
I’m guessing you applied broadly to interview at 3 hospitals?

I wish I didn't go into medicine too much drama from colleagues, but I still feel good helping people. I'm overall satisfied, some regret, but once I have more freedom I feel like I will flourish more.

I enjoy podiatry, I just dislike the pencil d*cks whom pretend to be big shots. Brag about podiatric surgeries like there aren't 100,000 orthos doing the same procedure around the world.

Don’t forget to stay in close contact with your coresidents and past classmates during the job search also. I found my job out of residency because my friend interviewed and turned it down and told me about it, and I love where I’m at. It is a good fit for me.

Yes I have known many to get hospital, ortho or even a PP job with a fair buy in because of hometown connections. No different than any profession, but with podiatry it makes a larger difference because our job market is so bad. I am not sure I would go into podiatry counting on a hometown connection to be a 100 percent guarantee though.
My grad class was probably not the norm, but we had maybe 5/50 who had a DPM parent and joined or took over mom or dad's practice. One went the top tier training and hospital FTE route (probably for ABFAS) but could still take over the family office in the future. I saw other people in residency doing the same thing. That is absolutely worth it... and wow does it probably suck for any associates or junior partners in those offices to see the kid come in. :)

It is kinda the same if one is independently wealthy.... you have already basically won the game if you just invest fairly well, but if you can get through school with little or no debt and/or have the $ or credit to start an office afterwards, that is a big win. It makes the ROI on podiatry go up a ton and a half.

The big obstacles DPMs always run into for starting their own PP are startup money or financing, finding a location without too much saturation, getting enough patients for ABFAS, getting a name/rep in the area taking a long while, or getting onto area plans and doing that in a timely manner. Having a family member with an office you can join/assume or having the capital to start up early jumps way over all of those hurdles. Heck, you might have an empty-net shot at not only your own office... but also some other locations or associates that make money for you as well. Highly recommended, lol.

...it is a very dicey proposition at best to do the 4yrs + 3yrs residency based on a much more sketchy hometown, family friend, church, etc connection for a job or a practice, though. The parent in podiatry route is basically a slam dunk, though.