Podiatry Satisfaction Poll

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How satisfied are you with your decision to become a Podiatrist

• Very Satisfied

Votes: 36 29.3%
  • Satisfied

Votes: 29 23.6%
  • Neither satisfied nor dissatisfied

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • Dissatisfied

Votes: 14 11.4%
  • Very dissatisfied

Votes: 20 16.3%

• Total voters
You should definitely be aware of the reality. I would start applying towards the end of 2nd year and start the job search DAILY as soon as 3rd year starts. I think you need to consider your options. If you stay in the DMV there is a highly probability that you will make 100k as an associate. If you’re willing to go rural for a few years, build a nest egg and get board cert then there’s a chance you might be selected out of the 100+ applicants for a real job. Godspeed.
Ugh I know. Makes it even worse because I know I’m going to be competing against Inova, Medstar and Baltimore VA grads on top of anyone else who wants to comeback to that area.

And that’s why podiatry sucks. None of my other friends who are in the medical field have this issue.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I wish I didn't go into medicine too much drama from colleagues, but I still feel good helping people. I'm overall satisfied, some regret, but once I have more freedom I feel like I will flourish more.

I enjoy podiatry, I just dislike the pencil d*cks whom pretend to be big shots. Brag about podiatric surgeries like there aren't 100,000 orthos doing the same procedure around the world.
I think a lot of it stems from the fact that podiatry is inherently a field of insecure people beginning from day 1 when they couldn’t get into DO or MD school. It’s a constant battle of proving to the public that they’re actually a doctor and don’t just trim nails

Reactions: 5 users
would you guys recommend opening up a practice with someone else right out the gate to help with costs or is going solo solo the best bet if one is going to so PP right out of residency

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
would you guys recommend opening up a practice with someone else right out the gate to help with costs or is going solo solo the best bet if one is going to so PP right out of residency
If you can’t get a hospital/ortho job I think the best option is to search for a fair and ethical associate job that’ll pay 150k+. Believe me they are out there but you won’t find them on PM News.

The first year out is a shock in my opinion.
Lots of credentialing and getting on insurance that you certainly don’t want to have to do yourself. Then learning to bill. And surgery, every case once you’re out of residency will feel like it’s the first time you’re actually doing that surgery. It is scary. No matter how many times you’ve scrubbed those cases before

Reactions: 2 users
If you can’t get a hospital/ortho job I think the best option is to search for a fair and ethical associate job that’ll pay 150k+. Believe me they are out there but you won’t find them on PM News.

Oh ok. Cool.

Btw for the same amount of work that you’ll put in at one of these “fair and ethical” associate jobs, you’d make approximately double at a job where your pay is calculated based on RVUs (ie, hospital/msg/ortho).

Reactions: 1 users
These are not hard at all... nearly any pod supergroup pays that mark or more. There are a lot of groups with a half dozen, dozen, many dozens of offices.

Obvious downsides to those supergroup jobs are no chance at ownership, often pressed to do shady stuff/tests/etc, virtually no say in office mgmt (staff, supplies, etc) might need to be flexible on location. In those, you're merely a cog in the wheel making the ownership rich. Few are fair and ethical. Some of them have non-compete that can be enforced. They're generally a step stone for a short time until burnout and realization that there's no advancement chance sets in. It's the McDonalds of podiatry jobs... our version of optometrists working at Walmart or pharmacists working Walgreens or ER docs working Concentra.

When you finally work for yourself or for a hospital gig, you will make 2x or more, as @Pronation said.
The supergroups or a more ethical small/medium PP that can pay you fair is not a bad bridge, though... preferably pick one that'll get you some skill and exposure to running a PP also. If you go the entrepreneur route, the knowledge will ultimately be more valuable than whatever scratch you made as an associate.

Last edited:
Oh ok. Cool.

Btw for the same amount of work that you’ll put in at one of these “fair and ethical” associate jobs, you’d make approximately double at a job where your pay is calculated based on RVUs (ie, hospital/msg/ortho).
Hence why I said if you can’t get one of those jobs..

When is too early to start the job search? I just don’t know when to start looking exactly and don’t want to start too late but also don’t want to be laughed at by starting too early. I also feel like currently being on the opposite side of the country of where I want to end up practicing makes things even more difficult.

I would consider opening up my own practice right out of residency if I wasn’t worried about BC as I don’t think I’d get enough patients to do surgery to get certified though I guess that could be true of a PP associate job I take as well

I try not to be on these forums too much but I also want to know the reality of what I’m going to be facing when I start the job search
I've said this to someone else on here - the thing is to find something actionable to take from what we say on here. If you just randomly go to one pod and say "Can I work for you" - it is entirely possible they will offer you $75K, 20% collections, no benefits, and tell you to pay for your own malpractice. Its so bad that its comedic. No one values a podiatrist less than another podiatrist. Its the guy who tried to tell me that 17% of collections is generous or another guy that his podiatry office is worth $800K and I need to put the money up before working for them as an associate. As already indicated above - you are going to WORK to get a job. If you don't - good for you, but more likely than not you'll go through a blood bath and when you come out the other side you can either acknowledge how bad it was (even if you like the work) or you can rose colored glasses it like our leadership does. We don't walk the same employment path MD/DOs do.

Don’t forget to stay in close contact with your coresidents and past classmates during the job search also. I found my job out of residency because my friend interviewed and turned it down and told me about it, and I love where I’m at. It is a good fit for me.
Agree. I have had job interviews and other contacts made via SDN as well...

Si
I think a lot of it stems from the fact that podiatry is inherently a field of insecure people beginning from day 1 when they couldn’t get into DO or MD school. It’s a constant battle of proving to the public that they’re actually a doctor and don’t just trim nails
Sir I am a doctor. My scrubs identify me as a surgeon, and my stethoscope means I am important.

• Haha
would you guys recommend opening up a practice with someone else right out the gate
No bank will give you a startup loan until you have 1-3 years experience out of residency. You might qualify for some small personal loans but interest will be astronomical and lenders will be sketchy. And they won’t be enough to cover all your costs and pay yourself a salary while you built a patient base.

Opening a practice with someone else means you’ll need twice the amount of patients for two people to make a living. Probably not realistic.

...Opening a practice with someone else means you’ll need twice the amount of patients for two people to make a living. Probably not realistic.
Yeah, unless you go super rural and have a nearly instant feeder group (vasc, IM, etc), then this is a recipe for disaster for many reasons for normal office podiatry.

The only way I've seen it work for 2+ DPMs to start group together is basically for a mobile/nursing practice (share "office" expenses, billing, cross-coverage, supplies, etc).

The only way I've seen it work for 2+ DPMs to start group together is basically for a mobile/nursing practice (share "office" expenses, billing, cross-coverage, supplies, etc).
So we are once again back to toenails. Podiatrists are the toenail kings!

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yesterday I ended my day with finding out the police was called on one of my patients because he showed up ranting about shoes. Luckily I wasn’t supposed to be there and I was just closing notes and minding my business.

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

Looks like you need one of these but instead it'll say PODIATRIST

Yesterday I ended my day with finding out the police was called on one of my patients because he showed up ranting about shoes. Luckily I wasn’t supposed to be there and I was just closing notes and minding my business.

I could have been a whole lot uglier if someone was refused a toenail trim.

75C0E96C-32F3-4F43-B7ED-6B8E31092511.jpeg
F9F755C2-E805-4770-90BE-525B574EE1B9.jpeg

His “free” diabetic shoes that come with his “free pedicure”?

His “free” diabetic shoes that come with his “free pedicure”?
I love it when patients come in for diabetic shoes and to have nails cut and they sit there and go off on a political rant about other government entitlements. Like bruh, how do you think you're sitting in that chair right now.

. Like bruh, how do you think you're sitting in that chair right now.
I don't recommend it, but if you want to know and ask....they will let you know it is NOT an entitlement because they paid for it.

• Haha
I love it when patients come in for diabetic shoes and to have nails cut and they sit there and go off on a political rant about other government entitlements. Like bruh, how do you think you're sitting in that chair right now.
Yes, I hilariously have a guy who wants Texas to secede and is obviously there for diabetic nails, leg ulcers, etc on Medicare.

He came in last year with something I had read about but never seen - an abscess caused by a puncture wound from a dog hair.

Woof.

• Haha
Yes, I hilariously have a guy who wants Texas to secede and is obviously there for diabetic nails, leg ulcers, etc on Medicare.

He came in last year with something I had read about but never seen - an abscess caused by a puncture wound from a dog hair.

Woof.
I’ve pulled dog and cat hair out of few people. Not as cool as the time we took at a fish bone in the schools clinic.

Si
Sir I am a doctor. My scrubs identify me as a surgeon, and my stethoscope means I am important.
The hospital I work at wanted to take some pictures for the website/handouts or whatever. The lady asked if I had a stethoscope to take a picture with. I laughed. I did not wear one for the pictures.

• Haha

Woof.
This is the essence of our state.

The hospital I work at wanted to take some pictures for the website/handouts or whatever. The lady asked if I had a stethoscope to take a picture with. I laughed. I did not wear one for the pictures.
I told most recent hospital to not even order a white coat. I can think of 2 times since graduating I have worn one, and both were pictures. I refuse to wear one now. I also have never worn anything but scrubs to work. Wearing a shirt and pants is too hard when you are on your hands and knees busting crumblies. Because ......IT ALWAYS COMES BACK TO TOENAILS

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
I told most recent hospital to not even order a white coat. I can think of 2 times since graduating I have worn one, and both were pictures. I refuse to wear one now. I also have never worn anything but scrubs to work. Wearing a shirt and pants is too hard when you are on your hands and knees busting crumblies. Because ......IT ALWAYS COMES BACK TO TOENAILS
Yup. Always wore scrubs in residency, always wear scrubs to work. Even with scrubs you’ll catch shrapnel into a pocket or something on accident I can only imagine how gross it would be if I was wearing dress clothes. White coats also get scuffed way too easily and make patients uneasy, it’s a lose lose.

Yup. Always wore scrubs in residency, always wear scrubs to work. Even with scrubs you’ll catch shrapnel into a pocket or something on accident I can only imagine how gross it would be if I was wearing dress clothes. White coats also get scuffed way too easily and make patients uneasy, it’s a lose lose.
Also I wear scrubs so they know I am a surgeon and real doctor.

• Haha
Also I wear scrubs so they know I am a surgeon and real doctor.
Unless you wear them in public - then you get mistaken for a nurse who just got off a shift

My 32-year career has exceeded my expectations on numerous fronts: from working with professional athletes as the Indiana Pacers' team podiatrist for 30 years to my numerous trip for international medical missions to educating residents and students as a residency director to publishing peer-reviewed articles and blogging for Podiatry Today to lecturing nationally and internationally to working with industry as a consultant, and my involvement at the state and national level in the profession governance. I believe and continue to believe the profession's future is very bright because I work closely with all the students and our twelve residents in our program daily. I am in the thick of things for podiatry, and I know the positives and negatives as well as anyone. I would still choose this profession if I were starting over. I love it. Two of my current residents and many students coming through our externship are legacies. What parent would advise their child to enter a bad profession?

Reactions: 8 users
My 32-year career has exceeded my expectations on numerous fronts: from working with professional athletes as the Indiana Pacers' team podiatrist for 30 years to my numerous trip for international medical missions to educating residents and students as a residency director to publishing peer-reviewed articles and blogging for Podiatry Today to lecturing nationally and internationally to working with industry as a consultant, and my involvement at the state and national level in the profession governance. I believe and continue to believe the profession's future is very bright because I work closely with all the students and our twelve residents in our program daily. I am in the thick of things for podiatry, and I know the positives and negatives as well as anyone. I would still choose this profession if I were starting over. I love it. Two of my current residents and many students coming through our externship are legacies. What parent would advise their child to enter a bad profession?
for 1990s tuition, 1990s reimbursements, and 1990s 1-year residency training, podiatry makes a lot more sense as a career choice

Reactions: 11 users
Two of my current residents and many students coming through our externship are legacies. What parent would advise their child to enter a bad profession?
Also, see here:

Dr. Deheer how do you manage to juggle all those things? I have two kids and I can barely keep up with work needs and family needs.

Thanks for bringing in some positivity. How do we address poor job market for new grads?

Dr. Deheer how do you manage to juggle all those things? I have two kids and I can barely keep up with work needs and family needs.

Thanks for bringing in some positivity. How do we address poor job market for new grads?
Close some schools. Such a joke we are opening more. Gotta get those nursing home gigs filled!

Close some schools. Such a joke we are opening more. Gotta get those nursing home gigs filled!

Let me try to reframe your perspective:

The profession does not have a puppet master (organization) planning the opening (or closing) or schools or residencies.

APMA doesn’t control how many schools open and actually CPME doesn’t “control” how many schools open.

In the USA, it’s a free country and if a University or College meets the CPME 120/130 criteria to offer a DPM degree, it must be accredited. It would be restraint of trade to block a school to limit competition (even if that was good for the profession - which I don’t share the same opinion).

No one at APMA or CPME or AACPM (or any other acronym) opened LECOM or UTRGV. They did so on their own. It’s a free market and the market will decide if schools remain open or if new schools offer a better “product.”

Once a school opens, of course they should receive the profession’s full support and be welcomed by all the organizations.

• Okay...
I love podiatry and I love my patients.... the work we do is not something most MDs/DOs even want to think about doing, yet is so valued by patients. I absolutely hate the outside influences on medicine that are changing the profession - AND ALL OF MEDICINE. Too many people on this page think all of the insurance changes and legislative crap we are forced to do is specific to podiatry - it isn't! No matter what field of medicine you go into there are 'issues' to work through (for that matter, any profession has issues).

Podiatry certainly has its fair share of challenges - but nothing that can't be overcome if we work together. APMA staff and board and committee volunteers work their butts off for all of us - not just the members - think about what we could do if everyone actually remained positive and became a member - and maybe even donated a bit of time here and there! NO OTHER GROUP has the ability to lobby for you and will protect this profession like APMA does. We always want to work with the other podiatry-related entities to solve problems together.

I also encourage all students and residents to really think hard about where you live and work. You will spend the vast majority of your time at work or at your kids school functions it seems - and this directly influences your work/life balance and satisfaction level. There are huge pockets of the country that provide a significantly better quality of life than in the large cities/suburbs - and you can always travel to those places when you do take vacation. The cost of living is less, for example, yet reimbursements are 'good' relative to the most costly areas to live. You will find fabulous schools and lots of amenities in parts of the country you may have never thought about.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Sure the CPME doesn't have control of me wanting to open a school or not but they do have control on accrediting a school with a below 70% board pass rate.

Reactions: 7 users
Yeah yeah, it's anticompetitive to limit the schools, let the markets handle everything. If there's too many schools for residencies, or if we have enough residencies but a lot of them are trash, oh well buyer beware, the only thing we've wasted is a student's money, youth, and ambition. Such a dirty business.

Podiatry is an amazing profession. I have been in practice for over 20 years. I was hired by a private practice in a small town as an associate on a small salary with options to increase it based on production.

I was able to build my practice by networking in the community and hard work and made more than I could have possibly expected by the end of a year and a half and have created a continually thriving practice.

Several years later, we joined a multispecialty clinic and then a few years after that, we joined the hospital system.

There are still many opportunities for seasoned podiatrists as well as for new graduates. My patients often tell me that I am their favorite doctor. Several of them will pay out of network to come see me or for others, I am the only doctor in the system they come to see.

I am well respected in my community and my hospital and have been chairperson of my surgery department and chief of staff of our hospital system.

My practice has afforded me to earn a great living, take time off to coach all 4 of my children in multiple sports and enjoy life.

Work hard, network, have a positive outlook, and you will succeed. Constantly complain, have a negative outlook and look for shortcuts and you will fail in whatever career path you take.

Thank you for your post - it’s good to see some of the larger voices in podiatry engaging in discussion with us more casual folk here. (On a side note - your YouTube surgical videos are really good and helpful).

I will say however that I generally view legacy students/residents with a grain of salt as many have family practices/partnerships waiting for them right out of residency because of that so there is often quite a bit of difference between a legacy podiatrist and a first gen just starting out. That doesn’t mean they don’t work as hard - some of the best residents I know have had family who were podiatrists and they could’ve got a great job regardless of connections, but it certainly is a big help to be already raised in podiatry as far as job hunting goes.

Last edited:
Sure the CPME doesn't have control of me wanting to open a school or not but they do have control on accrediting a school with a below 70% board pass rate.
CPME needs to step up their game and hold these schools accountable. There is a lot on the line for students (>$200k and time investment) if they fail boards e.g. bad residency/unable to match.

With baby boomers almost all approaching 70 years of age, there is a big opportunity for podiatry to obtaining parity and earning more hospital privileges, but not with these lax standards set by CPME.

As a student, I do not have any faith in the current CPME accreditation committee. They should be reflecting on their decisions and do what is best for the future of podiatry.

We're in a similar situation to DO's decades ago when they had to prove themselves, but how can we do that when our accreditation committee doesn't do their job properly?

Good luck convincing NBME to let pods sit for USMLE when there is a school sitting below 70% 1st time board pass rate average over the past 3 year.

Last edited:

It's not easy to be involved at so many levels, but I love it and make it work. The changes coming in healthcare with value-based care will offer tremendous opportunities. I sold my practice to Upperline Health a couple of years ago. This past year Upperline was awarded the first-ever specialty ACO contract from CMS. CMS is using Upperline as a test for specialty ACO contracts because CMMI (Medicare and Medicaid) view podiatry as the primary healthcare provider of the lower extremity and see podiatry as a vital player in healthcare's future regarding care and cost management. CMS believes in podiatry, and venture capital believes in podiatry. I believe in podiatry. No specialty in healthcare is without its problems. I do not know any primary care providers happy with their job. Working at a large teaching institution, I interact with several of them. People will always complain, and their complaints should be heard by those in a position to help when possible. Some will complain to complain, and that is fine, but I would instead concentrate on the positives and be grateful for my career and the life it has provided for me.

It’s a free market and the market will decide if schools remain open or if new schools offer a better “product.”
I'm all for a free market but this is a deceptive line of thinking. For schools, the customers are the students. The product they are selling to these customers (i.e. a high-paying career as a well-respected surgeon) is not currently accurate due to gross over saturation of the profession. Clearly, most major/minor metropolitan areas do NOT need more podiatrists. Rural? Sure, but this is not part of the value proposition of Podiatry school. Nobody is going to NYCPM with dreams of practicing in South Dakota or Mississippi. I would argue that the free market has very clearly demonstrated a lack of appetite for more new grads in this field. The schools are operating in their own 'free market' of bilking MD/DO rejects that still want to play doctor. Sounds harsh but tell me how I'm wrong

There has been an influx of new accounts/posters.

For both old and new, please abide by terms of service when engaging in discourse.

(Medicare and Medicaid) view podiatry as the primary healthcare provider of the lower extremity and see podiatry as a vital player in healthcare's future regarding care and cost management.
That's great for the owners/parters of Upperline but 'cost management' screams increased volume for lower pay for the associates...