Podiatry Satisfaction Poll

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How satisfied are you with your decision to become a Podiatrist

• Very Satisfied

Votes: 36 29.3%
  • Satisfied

Votes: 29 23.6%
  • Neither satisfied nor dissatisfied

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • Dissatisfied

Votes: 14 11.4%
  • Very dissatisfied

Votes: 20 16.3%

• Total voters
That's great for the owners/parters of Upperline but 'cost management' screams increased volume for lower pay for the associates...
That is not true. The ACO model is from CMS and will be fully implemented by 2030.

Members don't see this ad.

Let me try to reframe your perspective:

The profession does not have a puppet master (organization) planning the opening (or closing) or schools or residencies.

APMA doesn’t control how many schools open and actually CPME doesn’t “control” how many schools open.

In the USA, it’s a free country and if a University or College meets the CPME 120/130 criteria to offer a DPM degree, it must be accredited. It would be restraint of trade to block a school to limit competition (even if that was good for the profession - which I don’t share the same opinion).

No one at APMA or CPME or AACPM (or any other acronym) opened LECOM or UTRGV. They did so on their own. It’s a free market and the market will decide if schools remain open or if new schools offer a better “product.”

Once a school opens, of course they should receive the profession’s full support and be welcomed by all the organizations.
I 100% understand this. If the appropriate conditions are met, new school openings can move forward.

It’s just that the need (in my opinion) for all these new DPMs is not there.... hence the “job search” pulling up garbage jobs 24/7/365 on any and all physician/job search sites. We as DPMs have to almost entirely rely on “word of mouth” or trailblazing to land a “good” gig... unless one is lucky enough to get into VA, some MSG, ortho group, hospital, etc.

I am definitely not disgruntled about the “job” of podiatry. I love it!!! Just frustrated about the lay of the land.

As another member put it at one point, if we were to lose our good paying gig today... where we go next? I know for sure i’d have to move out of this area.

Also... Dr. DeHeer... great to see you on here!

Reactions: 3 users
I remain very satisfied with my decision to become a podiatrist and enjoy the work that I do. I work in a hospital system along with my spouse who I met in podiatry school. Both of us were the first in our families to pursue this kind of career. And we are quite happy with it. We live in a low cost of living area, have busy practicies, enjoy vacationing and traveling with our family.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sure the CPME doesn't have control of me wanting to open a school or not but they do have control on accrediting a school with a below 70% board pass rate.

You’re right about that. And you could file a CPME 925 complaint (look up form 925 on CPME’s website) if the Council is not following its own standards, and if true, they must form a committee and respond.

Reactions: 2 users
I am definitely very satisfied with my choice. These are the reasons I love what I do:
1. I always wanted to be a doctor. I love helping people, but I didn't want to deal with death and dying.
2. I enjoy doing surgery, but I didn't want to be rounding on my sick patients in the hospital every morning. Most of it is outpatient for my practice.
3. This is the ONLY medical specialty that you will be guaranteed an opportunity to do surgery when you go to school. You have plans to go to allopathic med school and becoming an orthopedist? Chances are you won't get that residency and you won't be a surgeon.
4. I really like helping people feel better. I would really struggle as a dentist...they are hated by their patients. Daily I get a comment "thank you so much, you are my favorite doctor"
5. Lifestyles are variable in our profession and you can choose! Want to work for a hospital system? That's a thing now. Want to be in private practice? ok. Want to be self employed or work for someone? Ok.
6. I relocated from California (where it was a little more congested) to North Carolina. We have SO MANY jobs here.
7. Yes, your first job might not be your last, but you learn from it and move on. There are almost no people in any career that stay in one job forever. After one of my jobs, I learned and decided "this is how I want to work".

• Okay...
Becoming a podiatrist was the best decision I’ve ever made. I love what we do. I don’t know of another specialty that I would rather do. We do have unique challenges as a profession, but overall, the opportunity is outstanding. You might not be able to start in the perfect situation but as a profession the demand is increasing and there are many pods that will be retiring soon. Work hard, take care of your patients like their family and success will follow.

• Okay...
Reactions: 4 users
Because of podiatry, I:

Looked forward to going to work every day
Filled my life with the satisfaction that I had the ability to take away people’s pain and improve their lives
Maintain a life/work balance for my three kids and my wife
Feel the respect of not only my Neducsl community but my community at large, being seen as a healer
Retire at 65 with a summer cabin in Maine, a winter condo in Florida and a beautiful home in the suburbs of Bistin

Mark me down as zero regrets for career choice!

Retire at 65 with a summer cabin in Maine, a winter condo in Florida and a beautiful home in the suburbs of Bistin
1684429082868.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
How many of these new posters are program directors/coordinators?

Reactions: 6 users
This is the ONLY medical specialty that you will be guaranteed an opportunity to do surgery when you go to school.
Within the past two days, another poster demonstrated this is a false guarantee with onerous proctoring requirements required of them in order to operate
Want to work for a hospital system? That's a thing now. Want to be in private practice? ok. Want to be self employed or work for someone? Ok.
For me and so many others, my employment situation wasn't so much where I chose but where I ended up.
I relocated from California (where it was a little more congested) to North Carolina. We have SO MANY jobs here.
NC has a famously difficult licensing exam
as a profession the demand is increasing
...for nail care.

Reactions: 7 users
Within the past two days, another poster demonstrated this is a false guarantee with onerous proctoring requirements required of them in order to operate

For me and so many others, my employment situation wasn't so much where I chose but where I ended up.

NC has a famously difficult licensing exam

...for nail care.
Every year I say I will take the NC exam... every year I don't.

How many of these new posters are program directors/coordinators?
I am not. I used this forum as a student years ago but could not remember my log in credentials so just joined again today. I work with residents once a week in surgery. I spend the rest of my time in our podiatry clinic located in our orthopedic building, and a half day a week in our wound care clinic.

It's not easy to be involved at so many levels, but I love it and make it work. The changes coming in healthcare with value-based care will offer tremendous opportunities. I sold my practice to Upperline Health a couple of years ago. This past year Upperline was awarded the first-ever specialty ACO contract from CMS. CMS is using Upperline as a test for specialty ACO contracts because CMMI (Medicare and Medicaid) view podiatry as the primary healthcare provider of the lower extremity and see podiatry as a vital player in healthcare's future regarding care and cost management. CMS believes in podiatry, and venture capital believes in podiatry. I believe in podiatry. No specialty in healthcare is without its problems. I do not know any primary care providers happy with their job. Working at a large teaching institution, I interact with several of them. People will always complain, and their complaints should be heard by those in a position to help when possible. Some will complain to complain, and that is fine, but I would instead concentrate on the positives and be grateful for my career and the life it has provided for me.
What impact will the ACO contract have on podiatry overall if any?
Are you hoping VC and supergroups will have any sway on CMS for coverage and reimbursement?
Thanks for your reply

Members don't see this ad :)
As a podiatric physician, podiatry has afforded me a wonderful lifestyle, particularly as a female physician. I have found that I have a wonderful work/life balance since I am able to set my hours. My creative side is satisfied in the surgical arena. Given my office location in a young community, I have been afforded the opportunity to utilize my biomechanical skills and knowledge of pathomechanics to ensure a path of good foot health and conditioning for young patients.
Success in clinical practice, like many things in life, is based upon what effort you commit and with good clinical patterns of care, referrals abound, not just from physicians (PHNs), but most fervently from patients that are pleased with their outcomes. In that vein, financial remuneration is forthcoming based upon an individuals willingness to interject themselves into their community and in many instances by "giving back" whether it is to your community at large or to the profession. The latter is best observed by participating in the Mentor Network and assisting other prospective students and residents in forging a successful path for their futures.

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 users
Every year I say I will take the NC exam... every year I don't.
The NC exam has been completely rehashed in the last 3 years. Pass rate is about 90% typically. It is 1/2 day written and a 30 minute oral exam. If you've been out for a while, you would benefit from studying. If you're fresh out of residency, pass rate is near 100%.

That's great for the owners/parters of Upperline but 'cost management' screams increased volume for lower pay for the associates...
Of course CMS is all about podiatry— Podiatrists will do a bunion for $400 and say “thank you sir, may I have another”. Meanwhile, ortho doesn’t wanna touch it because it pays beans. Saturation is thick so pods will gladly take scraps and get paid little for it.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
The NC exam has been completely rehashed in the last 3 years. Pass rate is about 90% typically. It is 1/2 day written and a 30 minute oral exam. If you've been out for a while, you would benefit from studying. If you're fresh out of residency, pass rate is near 100%.
Yea one day. I had my paper work all the way in 7 years ago(?), I had a new baby and I didn't want to travel so I ended up not taking it. Maybe I should make that a goal for the next two years.

Of course CMS is all about podiatry— Podiatrists will do a bunion for $400 and say “thank you sir, may I have another”. Meanwhile, ortho doesn’t wanna touch it because it pays beans. Saturation is thick so pods will gladly take scraps and get paid little for it.
Don't forget the $300 CAM boot that pays almost as much as the Bunion...smh

I wish I could be the DME only guy. That's where its at.

I'm very happy with Podiatry. I have worked in a private practice group and have been involved in residency and student training. There's good and bad to every career and you make the things you don't enjoy more enjoyable with innovation and perseverance. I have a good income, good work/life balance and I work with great colleagues. I think your day to day is what you make of it. I enjoy biomechanics and I apply biomechanics to my conservative and surgical treatments.

Something fishy going on today

Reactions: 13 users
Don't forget the $300 CAM boot that pays almost as much as the Bunion...smh

I wish I could be the DME only guy. That's where its at.
Ortho sells a lot of CAM boots so they won’t dare touch reimbursement on that.

Lol these first posts are too formal. Gotta be AI. Who actually enjoys biomechanics?
Either AI or a lot of pods with Stockholm syndrome coming out of the woodwork.

I was giving them the benefit of the doubt. But this seems like a response to the post on Reddit that said that SDN pods are too negative.

Someone rallied the troops to bring light to our amazing profession! I believe we need an army of nail nippers for the aging population. Podiatry has given me a great deal of satisfaction being able to inhale fungal dust as my dremel runs at 3000 RPMs. That and I usually apply lotion 20-30 times per day on my patients, which also increases my satisfaction with the field.

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 9 users
Bunch of first time posters promoting podiatry. Nothing suspicious about that.

• Haha
For every practicing podiatrist on here that is dissatisfied with their place in life there could very likely be one that is very satisfied. The happy ones historically do not frequent this forum. I remember that from when I first visisted as a student years ago.
I'm overall happy with my profession. I get satisfaction from treating patients.
Potential students, patients, and anyone else reading these forums are entitled to hear my feedback just as much as the negative feedback.

Happy to doxx myself too.

The profession does not have a puppet master (organization) planning the opening (or closing) or schools or residencies.

APMA doesn’t control how many schools open and actually CPME doesn’t “control” how many schools open.

In the USA, it’s a free country and if a University or College meets the CPME 120/130 criteria to offer a DPM degree, it must be accredited. It would be restraint of trade to block a school to limit competition (even if that was good for the profession - which I don’t share the same opinion).

No one at APMA or CPME or AACPM (or any other acronym) opened LECOM or UTRGV. They did so on their own. It’s a free market and the market will decide if schools remain open or if new schools offer a better “product.”

Once a school opens, of course they should receive the profession’s full support and be welcomed by all the organizations.
That is exactly the problem. Every other specialty in medicine does everything it can to protect itself. They have limited residencies, strict standards for programs and fought against saturation…maybe too hard for what America needs. not every surgeon opens up a residency for free labor. They know how to protect themselves from saturation and the ones that don’t get screwed.. such as EM selling itself to private equity. There are no puppet masters in podiatry but it wouldn’t hurt if it had a backbone. I’m not targeting you, but as a whole I take little pride in my profession. Almost all the barriers we face are from other podiatrists.

• Love
Potential students, patients, and anyone else reading these forums are entitled to hear my feedback just as much as the negative feedback.
Some of the stuff on here is indeed negative. However, a lot of it is realistic as well. Throughout pre-pod school, school and residency, everything you're told is given to you through the rose colored glasses of those with some sort of vested interest. This is not that. Some of the most useful info I've read about the profession was through here, because some of it is the unvarnished truth. It's up to the reader to distinguish between realism and negativity. Sometimes there's some overlap between those things because sometimes the truth sucks.

• Care
Reactions: 12 users
That is exactly the problem. Every other specialty in medicine does everything it can to protect itself. They have limited residencies, strict standards for programs and fought against saturation
Not too mention how it gets harder and harder every year to get into allopathic/osteopathic med school. Those schools don't buy into the 'aging population DESPERATELY needs our services' bs

Some of the stuff on here is indeed negative. However, a lot of it is realistic as well. Throughout pre-pod school, school and residency, everything you're told is given to you through the rose colored glasses of those with some sort of vested interest. This is not that. Some of the most useful info I've read about the profession was through here, because some of it is the unvarnished truth. It's up to the reader to distinguish between realism and negativity. Sometimes there's some overlap between those things because sometimes the truth sucks.
I don't find any of it to be negative. A lot of the people are doing well financially but they are still pointing out some flaws in the profession and they share how they got to where they are.

Exactly... is it better to be told 'hey graduate and you're a doctor driving a fancy car and have a mansion' or 'you are entering a limited license field that is not always respected all while acquiring 300k in debt to then likely be enslaved by a PP owner if you dont push yourself to separate yourself from the TFP pack?'

The meme thread wouldnt be 25 pages long if this field was 'medicines best kept secret'

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 8 users

The placed a moratorium on new school accreditation after Western opened up. They blocked new schools from opening after the last residency shortage. They do have some say.

I remember as a student I thought everyone on Sdn was a bunch of negative antisocial nerds but now that I’m an attending that is true but they are also right

• Care
  • Love
Exactly... is it better to be told 'hey graduate and you're a doctor driving a fancy car and have a mansion' or 'you are entering a limited license field that is not always respected all while acquiring 300k in debt to then likely be enslaved by a PP owner if you dont push yourself to separate yourself from the TFP pack?'

The meme thread wouldnt be 25 pages long if this field was 'medicines best kept secret'
Luckily I didn’t marry someone who was dead set on living in NYC and I was able to look at different locations. That’s over now. We aren’t move again unless I’m asked to created a new school or something. 🤔😆

For every practicing podiatrist on here that is dissatisfied with their place in life there could very likely be one that is very satisfied. The happy ones historically do not frequent this forum. I remember that from when I first visisted as a student years ago.
I'm overall happy with my profession. I get satisfaction from treating patients.

Happy to doxx myself too.
Props for being transparent.

Looks like you have a great position at a bigger hospital group with likely a great salary and benefits. You have worked hard and deserve to be successful.

I'm sure many on here are doing pretty good for themselves as well. The problem comes when you enter school expecting a position like the one you have is commonplace and easy to find. Predatory associate mills significantly outnumber Hospital/MSG positions. The majority of upset podiatrists on SDN are upset about the failure of our governing/overseeing bodies to protect new grads who are being milked for tuition and thrown to the sharks. We are following in pharmacy's footsteps.

You have done very well for yourself and I am glad to see another podiatrist succeeding/excelling. I wish and pray every podiatrist out there obtains an awesome position like the one you have.

I have several friends who are great people did well in school and ended up in a mediocre or poor residency (because no matter what you say the training discrepancy between programs is massive) and then have ended up doing nursing home work or toiling away for peanuts as an associate.

The older providers that are retiring are mostly forefoot only or non-op. There simply is not enough well paying surgical jobs to go around. Look at GI, Derm, Vascular Surgery, etc and the job postings present in every metro. wRVU rates are usually bottom rung, usually much lower than all other non-operative specialties. Many of us have the lowest wRVU rate in our groups...lower than primary care, family practice, and internal medicine even through many of us are doing 99% of what an orthopedic foot and ankle surgeon does.

RN/PA salaries and scope are increasing dramatically while Podiatry is mostly stuck due to oversaturation. Most of us have no leverage to ask for anything more. We know if we have a good position there are 20 others waiting to escape the associate mill they are trapped in. We don't want to rock the boat.

For every pod making 300k with 6 weeks vacation, 401k match, $5k CME allowance and full free family health care coverage there are probably at least 10 making 80-140k with no 401k match, 2 weeks off/year, weekend clinics, no included family health coverage, and no CME allowance dealing with a owner than won't show them their books and is literally robbing them.

I think the majority of us on here are fighting for this group. Opening more schools will lower the caliber of candidates especially if application numbers are down. This will force schools to take less qualified individuals and in turn pollute the podiatry market with worse trained/less competent individuals (which hurts us as a whole as we are measured by our weakest links). These are the ones who will end up disenfranchised fighting over the 80k associate jobs forced to pay back 300k in loans for the rest of their lives. The overseeing bodies of podiatry should have a responsibility to every graduating student that they will be able to use their full set of surgical skills. If not lower supply to meet demand (i.e close 3-4 schools)...econ 101.

I have stopped paying dues to many of these organizations (APMA) and will never donate a cent to the podiatry school I graduated from after seeing how many members of my class failed out. They want to change my mind? They know what to do...

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
Im super happy in podiatry. I do enjoy my day to day life (for the most part - we all have bad days).

I dont dislike going to work everyday. I built a practice (twice now) that I enjoy. Im heavily surgical and respected by my MD/DO colleagues.

Podiatry treated me well from the get go. I worked hard in school. Got an awesome residency where I excelled and subsequently got a well paying job with great benefits right out of residency with a MSG. My coresidents also all got good positions. Most of my friends are doing well.

I was always a cheerleader on this site in the past. I took some slack for it. But I joined the "dark side" when they opened two new schools.

Anyone entering podiatry right now is in for a rude oversaturated awakening. If they fill the schools this year there will be a MASSIVE residency shortage. It happened with Western. It will happen again. CPME will look the other way. Wash repeat.

@padeheer

Ive always enjoyed speaking with you directly and listening to your lectures. I know you are well in tune with the profession and I have a lot of respect for you. I know you want the profession to do well with the energy you put into it.

What do you think is the best solution to the over saturation issues and job prospects that new grads are facing? The poor job market for our new grads is the root cause of unrest on this forum.

I think there is a mix of both parties. I don't think the profession is as bad as those bitching about it on here. I also don't think it is as good as our more experienced leaders are making it out to be. Either way I'm invested and might as well learn to be better then the guy down the street and learn proper billing.

Props for being transparent.

Looks like you have a great position at a bigger hospital group with likely a great salary and benefits. You have worked hard and deserve to be successful.

I'm sure many on here are doing pretty good for themselves as well. The problem comes when you enter school expecting a position like the one you have is commonplace and easy to find. Predatory associate mills significantly outnumber Hospital/MSG positions. The majority of upset podiatrists on SDN are upset about the failure of our governing/overseeing bodies to protect new grads who are being milked for tuition and thrown to the sharks. We are following in pharmacy's footsteps.

You have done very well for yourself and I am glad to see another podiatrist succeeding/excelling. I wish and pray every podiatrist out there obtains an awesome position like the one you have.

I have several friends who are great people did well in school and ended up in a mediocre or poor residency (because no matter what you say the training discrepancy between programs is massive) and then have ended up doing nursing home work or toiling away for peanuts as an associate.

The older providers that are retiring are mostly forefoot only or non-op. There simply is not enough well paying surgical jobs to go around. Look at GI, Derm, Vascular Surgery, etc and the job postings present in every metro. wRVU rates are usually bottom rung, usually much lower than all other non-operative specialties. Many of us have the lowest wRVU rate in our groups...lower than primary care, family practice, and internal medicine even through many of us are doing 99% of what an orthopedic foot and ankle surgeon does.

RN/PA salaries and scope are increasing dramatically while Podiatry is mostly stuck due to oversaturation. Most of us have no leverage to ask for anything more. We know if we have a good position there are 20 others waiting to escape the associate mill they are trapped in. We don't want to rock the boat.

For every pod making 300k with 6 weeks vacation, 401k match, $5k CME allowance and full free family health care coverage there are probably at least 10 making 80-140k with no 401k match, 2 weeks off/year, weekend clinics, no included family health coverage, and no CME allowance dealing with a owner than won't show them their books and is literally robbing them.

I think the majority of us on here are fighting for this group. Opening more schools will lower the caliber of candidates especially if application numbers are down. This will force schools to take less qualified individuals and in turn pollute the podiatry market with worse trained/less competent individuals (which hurts us as a whole as we are measured by our weakest links). These are the ones who will end up disenfranchised fighting over the 80k associate jobs forced to pay back 300k in loans for the rest of their lives. The overseeing bodies of podiatry should have a responsibility to every graduating student that they will be able to use their full set of surgical skills. If not lower supply to meet demand (i.e close 3-4 schools)...econ 101.

I have stopped paying dues to many of these organizations (APMA) and will never donate a cent to the podiatry school I graduated from after seeing how many members of my class failed out. They want to change my mind? They know what to do...
One of the single best posts I have read on this forum, hands down.

The APMA BOT got a bunch of members and friends to create accounts and blast the forum. They aren’t going to address any real questions on here and they won’t respond when you bring up proof that claims they make are factually incorrect. Most of them will be gone in the coming weeks. Just like our ABFAS friend who came and went after spitting out the talking points, conveniently right before a blog post about the case review process was published.

Welcome. Will post more later. There’s already plenty of questionable claims made by our new friends…

The APMA BOT got a bunch of members and friends to create accounts and blast the forum. They aren’t going to address any real questions on here and they won’t respond when you bring up proof that claims they make are factually incorrect. Most of them will be gone in the coming weeks. Just like our ABFAS friend who came and went after spitting out the talking points, conveniently right before a blog post about the case review process was published.

Welcome. Will post more later. There’s already plenty of questionable claims made by our new friends…
They're probably skewing up the polls too. It's all of a sudden and trying to be positive and not addressing the real problems.

We do have unique challenges as a profession, but overall, the opportunity is outstanding.
What are the unique challenges we face?
1. Poor school attrition rates
2. The schools that get accredited with 69% of students passing ABPME Part 1
3. Residencies that advertise "RRA" and are just wound care + 2 weeks in an ortho practice to 'shadow'
4. Impossible to come out and start a practice since debt load is astronomical for the reimbursement you'll see
5. Poor job outcomes for majority of graduates
6. Non-universal or standardized fellowship training
7. ABPM v ABFAS
8. Getting paid less than an MD/DO for same CPT codes from commercial payers
9. Respect in medical community since for every awesome DPM like yourself there are 10 that I wouldnt have touch my worst enemy
10. Fighting with other DPMs who want to suppress your ability to practice to your full scope

You might not be able to start in the perfect situation but as a profession the demand is increasing
2% job growth expected by BLS. But we definitely need to crank out more DPMs to look at nail fungus! The quiet pandemic!

and there are many pods that will be retiring soon.
And we are also graduating more at record numbers with 2 new schools opening without adequate and proven training from 'newly opened' residencies.

Work hard, take care of your patients like their family and success will follow.
But there are other fields where you can be human and still have a life and not lose 11+ years of your life in training after HS.

Yes -- clearly a bunch of fake accounts in here to spin a bunch of fake news.

Now the poll is skewed and useless as well. Pre-pods beware. these are essentially bots. Podiatry is NOT good. Call up any DPM in your area and they will tell you not to do this career.

Simple math: 4 years undergrad (tuition varies) + 4 years podiatry school (300k) + 3 years residency (make enough just to live on) = $120k associate slave salary job.

Congrats. You wasted 11 years of your life. All of your 20's. Just to make the same amount as a chipotle manager. Oh and you're $300,000+ in debt.

DON'T DO PODIATRY.

• Care
My alma mater (Kent) advises new students to expect to pay $85,224 for tuition, cost of living, fees, etc for the first year. If we assume no increase in tuition and simply expect four years at this price, the total is 341k. Now let's assume our new student has a modest 20k in undergrad loans. Now, we are in at 360k, most of that will be at an unsubsidized student loans interest rate of 6.5%. The resident then has to make a choice as to whether he wants to try and pay off this large sum right away or shoot for some form of student loan forgiveness. This is somewhat risky decision. If he chooses to keep the federal loans until he gets a job the compound interest starts accruing and he is almost certainly going to owe >400k by the time he graduates from residency.

What's considered a good associate salary again? 150k? What percentage of pods are hospital based? No way in hell I'd let my kids go to podiatry school.

My alma mater (Kent) advises new students to expect to pay $85,224 for tuition, cost of living, fees, etc for the first year. If we assume no increase in tuition and simply expect four years at this price, the total is 341k. Now let's assume our new student has a modest 20k in undergrad loans. Now, we are in at 360k, most of that will be at an unsubsidized student loans interest rate of 6.5%. The resident then has to make a choice as to whether he wants to try and pay off this large sum right away or shoot for some form of student loan forgiveness. This is somewhat risky decision. If he chooses to keep the federal loans until he gets a job the compound interest starts accruing and he is almost certainly going to owe >400k by the time he graduates from residency.

What's considered a good associate salary again? 150k? What percentage of pods are hospital based? No way in hell I'd let my kids go to podiatry school.
These old farts creating accounts and posting are out of touch with reality. The ones who have residents likely abuse them for labor too. It's a "rite of passage" after all. So is the ****ty first job... that we just end up consoling people with the "it doesn't have to be your last job!"

ahhh podiatry. the absolute worst.

I am definitely very satisfied with my choice. These are the reasons I love what I do:
1. I always wanted to be a doctor. I love helping people, but I didn't want to deal with death and dying.
And how were your stats as a 'pre-pod?' Was DPM your first choice or were you 'recruited' after the benchmark to MD/DO was out of reach?
If you had a choice to be a doctor and didnt want to deal with dying, why didnt you choose: psych, derm, rad, path, pain management / physiatry?

2. I enjoy doing surgery, but I didn't want to be rounding on my sick patients in the hospital every morning. Most of it is outpatient for my practice.
How many days as a DPM do you do surgery? How do you battle dwindling reimbursements where a bunion pays you less than a new patient with a simple fx that needs a boot?

3. This is the ONLY medical specialty that you will be guaranteed an opportunity to do surgery when you go to school. You have plans to go to allopathic med school and becoming an orthopedist? Chances are you won't get that residency and you won't be a surgeon.
Any MD/DO can be guaranteed a freaking opportunity do 'surgery' when they get out. Technically 11721 is surgery! Glad I can spend 7 years training for that.

4. I really like helping people feel better. I would really struggle as a dentist...they are hated by their patients. Daily I get a comment "thank you so much, you are my favorite doctor"
Actually most dentists are the best pain management specialists. What an old trope that DDS/DMD is a bad life.
What's next, you're gonna tell us about suicide rates in dentists?

5. Lifestyles are variable in our profession and you can choose! Want to work for a hospital system? That's a thing now. Want to be in private practice? ok. Want to be self employed or work for someone? Ok.
Want to work for Healthdrive? They are ready for you too!

6. I relocated from California (where it was a little more congested) to North Carolina. We have SO MANY jobs here.
So many jobs that pay 100k ! Glad I can move there to work for pennies on the dollar there with a lower cost of living.

7. Yes, your first job might not be your last, but you learn from it and move on. There are almost no people in any career that stay in one job forever. After one of my jobs, I learned and decided "this is how I want to work".
So you're saying yes its ok to be abused for a fraction of your value during your high production years only to turn around and screw the next generation.

Adios. I'm sure you wont reply here again.