Politics after Med School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whatisthisagain1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Would you say there are any schools that focus on their students having a career in politics after med school? What if, for instance, students are interested in health policy and want to obtain an MD/MPP or MD/MPH and get jobs in the U.S. Department of Health?

Are there any schools that focus or are better for one to launch a political career from?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,

Would you say there are any schools that focus on their students having a career in politics after med school? What if, for instance, students are interested in health policy and want to obtain an MD/MPP or MD/MPH and get jobs in the U.S. Department of Health?

Are there any schools that focus or are better for one to launch a political career from?
I don't see much of a pattern:
Rand Paul, Duke
Tom Coburn, U of OK
Paul Broun, MCG
Jim McDermott, U of IL

I think I misworded my statement. What I meant was for health policy research in government and working with an MD/MPP degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've always heard Stanford is really attracted by these types of ambitions. But that could be nonsense. And it's not like Stanford is a school that anyone can just set their sights on and go to.

But I'm not sure about the MD/MPH or policy focuses.

Hi,

met someone who graduated from GWU with her MD. she told me that if you're interested in politics, you should go there because the medical students get to work with congress or something like that. also helps that you're in DC

Stanford does specifically mention Health Policy in their future options.

Thanks, it makes sense given GWU is in DC. Is Stanford alone in providing a "health policy" option in the application?

Members don't see this ad :)
Given today political climate, I'd say that a deliberate lack of knowledge in any given health related topic would be more of a benefit to actually getting elected.

Reactions: 6 users
It didn't work out too well for Mitt Romney when he tried to make the case that medical care already exists for people without medical insurance.: the ER.

Given today political climate, I'd say that a deliberate lack of knowledge in any given health related topic would be more of a benefit to actually getting elected.

It didn't work out too well for Mitt Romney when he tried to make the case that medical care already exists for people without medical insurance.: the ER.
He was right though...it just stung the senses to point out that literally anyone can just stroll in and get very expensive care without paying into the system.

Reactions: 5 users
Obvious choice would be any DC/Baltimore school.

Favor schools that are located close to state capitols. Look more closely at OSU over Michigan. Pick UC Davis over UC Irvine. OU in Oklahoma instead of UTSW or KUMC. Most "average" medical school faculty have an easier time having influence in State politics compared to trying stand out in DC. First, it's primarily the state's role to enact a lot of health programs and regulations (except for the FDA). Second, competing interests sometimes aren't as formidable/strong (for example, I'm shocked by some of the progressive child care and adolescent autonomy laws passed in the notoriously arch-conservative Oklahoma state house, and I honestly suspect it's because groups like the Heritage Foundation weren't paying attention).

You may be surprised what can be accomplished at any school, having strong motivation is probably a bigger factor in what you accomplish given that you be fighting fatigue and competing time commitments is going to be more difficult that finding actual opportunities.

Looking at Health Public Policy articles, look for current faculty and where they seem to be. It can be surprising. The man who probably did the most media and political advocacy in my state was from a somewhat surprising school (to me, having no knowledge in that field).

health policy research?? anyone can do it, from any school.

politics?? if you want to be a politician, don't go to medical school.

You can also add Ben Carson, University of Michigan

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry to bump this thread, but do you guys think that medicine -> residency -> career in politics is too long a path for women? I'm concerned because I don't want to get into politics at a really late age (40+). If I follow a linear path with no gap years or anything, I'll graduate from college at 21 and finish med school at 25. That leaves around 10 years for residency/a fellowship, starting a practice, and gaining political experience. Whenever I try to bring up age as a factor in choosing a specialty, SJWs and the PC-police attack me with feminist bull****. I don't want to be like Hillary Clinton, who is a LITERAL grandmother who is running for POTUS. Lets be real, women are judged by a different standard then men are. Reagan could joke about his old age and turn it into an advantage, but for HC it is a major downfall (among many other terrible traits). So is it doable? Can I become an established physician and get involved in politics before I'm too old?

Sorry to bump this thread, but do you guys think that medicine -> residency -> career in politics is too long a path for women? I'm concerned because I don't want to get into politics at a really late age (40+). If I follow a linear path with no gap years or anything, I'll graduate from college at 21 and finish med school at 25. That leaves around 10 years for residency/a fellowship, starting a practice, and gaining political experience. Whenever I try to bring up age as a factor in choosing a specialty, SJWs and the PC-police attack me with feminist bull****. I don't want to be like Hillary Clinton, who is a LITERAL grandmother who is running for POTUS. Lets be real, women are judged by a different standard then men are. Reagan could joke about his old age and turn it into an advantage, but for HC it is a major downfall (among many other terrible traits). So is it doable? Can I become an established physician and get involved in politics before I'm too old?

Of all the arguments I've heard against Hilary Clinton, I've never heard someone (seriously) argue she is too old to be president. You can argue that she isn't as in touch with the younger generation, but most people that run for president aren't. I don't think age is a limiting factor for politicians unless you're in an age bracket that makes it unlikely you'll live through your term. Running for office in your 40s or 50s seems rather typical.

If you are pointing out that women in the public's eye are judged more harshly than men on weight, dress, and appearance, I won't argue with that. But that judgment will be there even if you are a 25-year-old supermodel. People will always sling mud against high-profile politicians.

Finally, I hope you'll forgive me if I have a good-natured chuckle about a woman planning a career in medicine and politics snubbing her nose at "feminist bull****." You stand on the shoulders of giants, madame.

Reactions: 3 users
Of all the arguments I've heard against Hilary Clinton, I've never heard someone (seriously) argue she is too old to be president. You can argue that she isn't as in touch with the younger generation, but most people that run for president aren't. I don't think age is a limiting factor for politicians unless you're in an age bracket that makes it unlikely you'll live through your term. Running for office in your 40s or 50s seems rather typical.
I've actually heard this argument from a few people. And for whatever it's worth Hillary is well beyond her 40s-50s; she's 68. Median age for presidents is 54.

I've actually heard this argument from a few people. And for whatever it's worth Hillary is well beyond her 40s-50s; she's 68. Median age for presidents is 54.

I'm aware of her age; I was commenting in reply to the other poster's remarks about getting into politics in her 40s.

Why are you trying to make age an issue of this campaign? Hilary Clinton is not going to exploit, for political purposes, her opponent's youth and inexperience

Guys, I understand the discussion happening is kind of relevant, but just a caution that if this devolves into a purely political thread, it's going to be locked. Please keep your responses as close to the most recent question asked (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/politics-after-med-school.1150295/#post-17143805) as possible. Try to make your responses about the (new) OP's situation rather than about any current political candidate.

If you are pointing out that women in the public's eye are judged more harshly than men on weight, dress, and appearance, I won't argue with that. But that judgment will be there even if you are a 25-year-old supermodel. People will always sling mud against high-profile politicians.

Finally, I hope you'll forgive me if I have a good-natured chuckle about a woman planning a career in medicine and politics snubbing her nose at "feminist bull****." You stand on the shoulders of giants, madame.

My point isn't that she is too old to be president. It's that being old and a woman is doing little to help her cause. The Donald is a year older than her but no one ever brings that up...people vote emotionally, and appearance is very important. We all know the infamous Nixon v JFK debates where Nixon appeared insecure and angry in comparison to the charismatic and handsome Kennedy. Hillary has not aged well, and that is a fact.

And yes, of course politicians and famous people will always be scrutinized under a microscope. But there are many controllable factors that you can work with to limit the negative reactions you will get from the media. For instance, staying in shape (looking at you, Chris Christie), being a pleasant person (*cough* Trump), etc. Youth is one of the greatest markers of femininity, so excuse me for not wanting to waste my best years.

The one-sized-fits-all model of 3rd wave feminism is a stain on our otherwise diverse and dynamic society. Feminism has turned into a hypocritical mess and I want no part of it. I am not oppressed, and to call myself so is offensive to women who face LEGITIMATE oppression. If that makes me unpopular, so be it...but there are many others (even women) who agree with me.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" - Mark Twain

Why are you trying to make age an issue of this campaign? Hilary Clinton is not going to exploit, for political purposes, her opponent's youth and inexperience

I love you.

I'm not? I'm just stating that I have heard people make the argument, and that she is well beyond the 40-50s number in the quoted post.

I'm not? I'm just stating that I have heard people make the argument, and that she is well beyond the 40-50s number in the quoted post.

That was a Ronald Reagan quote. The poster was being tongue-in-cheek

My point isn't that she is too old to be president. It's that being old and a woman is doing little to help her cause. The Donald is a year older than her but no one ever brings that up...people vote emotionally, and appearance is very important. We all know the infamous Nixon v JFK debates where Nixon appeared insecure and angry in comparison to the charismatic and handsome Kennedy. Hillary has not aged well, and that is a fact.

And yes, of course politicians and famous people will always be scrutinized under a microscope. But there are many controllable factors that you can work with to limit the negative reactions you will get from the media. For instance, staying in shape (looking at you, Chris Christie), being a pleasant person (*cough* Trump), etc. Youth is one of the greatest markers of femininity, so excuse me for not wanting to waste my best years.

The one-sized-fits-all model of 3rd wave feminism is a stain on our otherwise diverse and dynamic society. Feminism has turned into a hypocritical mess and I want no part of it. I am not oppressed, and to call myself so is offensive to women who face LEGITIMATE oppression. If that makes me unpopular, so be it...but there are many others (even women) who agree with me.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" - Mark Twain

Please understand that I wasn't trying to attack you. If you don't want to run for office as a middle-aged woman, then don't.

Please understand that I wasn't trying to attack you. If you don't want to run for office as a middle-aged woman, then don't.

I get your point. I'm just concerned about the timeline. I hear a lot of conflicting opinions, that there is no free time in med school/residency or that it's really chill and laid back if you want it to be. It is necessary to have political experience, and a lot of that comes with age. I would just prefer to be on the younger side, if it all possible. That is something that makes me the slightest bit hesitant about medicine...being a clinical physician is not my end goal, and I have larger aspirations in mind than simply being a physician. I know that it has been done in the past, but as a female it is concerning because as far as I am aware, there have been very few politically active female physicians on the national stage. Physician/Politicians like Ron Paul can afford to run for POTUS at an old age, but I don't think the same can be said for me or other females with the same goals.

I get your point. I'm just concerned about the timeline. I hear a lot of conflicting opinions, that there is no free time in med school/residency or that it's really chill and laid back if you want it to be. It is necessary to have political experience, and a lot of that comes with age. I would just prefer to be on the younger side, if it all possible. That is something that makes me the slightest bit hesitant about medicine...being a clinical physician is not my end goal, and I have larger aspirations in mind than simply being a physician. I know that it has been done in the past, but as a female it is concerning because as far as I am aware, there have been very few politically active female physicians on the national stage. Physician/Politicians like Ron Paul can afford to run for POTUS at an old age, but I don't think the same can be said for me or other females with the same goals.

Are you sure you want to be a physician if you are not interested in practicing? Perhaps a degree in law or health policy would be a better option for a political career. I think starting a political career (especially on a national platform) would also depend heavily on who you know or who your family is. Do you have the connections required for that sort of thing? If not, the only way you will get them is through experience, which takes time, which takes you right back to your original dilemma of not wanting to be running for office as an older woman.

Are you sure you want to be a physician if you are not interested in practicing? Perhaps a degree in law or health policy would be a better option for a political career. I think starting a political career (especially on a national platform) would also depend heavily on who you know or who your family is. Do you have the connections required for that sort of thing? If not, the only way you will get them is through experience, which takes time, which takes you right back to your original dilemma of not wanting to be running for office as an older woman.

I'm sorry, what I meant was that I don't want to limit myself to purely clinical practice. I would like to have a clinical practice, but I also want to go into politics. What I want to do is slowly phase out of clinical care and into politics after a certain number of years. As of right now, I have one political connection, a Congresswoman who I worked for. Interning for her administration gave me a taste of what life in office was like, and I will for sure build on that experience in college, where I'm hoping of gaining political footing. So, as of right now, I don't really have connections, but I'm only 17. In terms of my family, I'm not a Bush or a Clinton, but I am Persian so I have some family members in high places lol. In college, I will get involved with Greek life and political organizations on campus, so I'm not too worried about networking.
And yeah, that is my issue. I mean, I guess there is little I can do right now in terms of planning. I'm thinking that if I do go down the medical path, it would be in my best interest to choose an easier specialty, like psychiatry. I really like behavioral science, so I think that psych could be a good fit. The easy going residency would also complement my outside interests. What do you think?

I'm sorry, what I meant was that I don't want to limit myself to purely clinical practice. I would like to have a clinical practice, but I also want to go into politics. What I want to do is slowly phase out of clinical care and into politics after a certain number of years. As of right now, I have one political connection, a Congresswoman who I worked for. Interning for her administration gave me a taste of what life in office was like, and I will for sure build on that experience in college, where I'm hoping of gaining political footing. So, as of right now, I don't really have connections, but I'm only 17. In terms of my family, I'm not a Bush or a Clinton, but I am Persian so I have some family members in high places lol. In college, I will get involved with Greek life and political organizations on campus, so I'm not too worried about networking.
And yeah, that is my issue. I mean, I guess there is little I can do right now in terms of planning. I'm thinking that if I do go down the medical path, it would be in my best interest to choose an easier specialty, like psychiatry. I really like behavioral science, so I think that psych could be a good fit. The easy going residency would also complement my outside interests. What do you think?

You're only 17, you might change your mind about medicine. And even if you don't, you'll likely change your mind about what residency you want to go into before then too. I'm not saying that you shouldn't be thinking about these things, but take your time and keep an open mind. At least wait until you start college before deciding what to do when you're 50!

why go into medicine if you're not interested in being a physician? Go to law school

why go into medicine if you're not interested in being a physician? Go to law school

I am interested in being a physician. I am interested in being a physician and politician. I don't see how they are mutually exclusive

If it's not an end goal then why do it? If you did look into politics, you'd know it will take years of pure dedication to politics to even make it to state legislation, much less national anything. You really think you could pull it off at a young age after getting out of medical school?

Honestly, the physician path sounds more like a political hook you'd want to use rather than a genuine interest in medicine. Let's look at how well that's working out for Ben Carson, a respectable black doctor.....

If it's not an end goal then why do it? If you did look into politics, you'd know it will take years of pure dedication to politics to even make it to state legislation, much less national anything. You really think you could pull it off at a young age after getting out of medical school?

Honestly, the physician path sounds more like a political hook you'd want to use rather than a genuine interest in medicine. Let's look at how well that's working out for Ben Carson, a respectable black doctor.....

I am passionate about medicine...it's just not all I want to do in life. I am willing to sacrifice for the field of medicine, but I have outside interests and ambitions. And yeah, it does take years, but I've started right now, in high school. If I continue down the path I'm on, I could very well be on my way to gaining name recognition in the political sphere during college and beyond. And I never said I want to get into the national stage right after medical school. I've said that I would like to complete residency/fellowship and establish a clinical practice before slowly transitioning into politics. There are many programs such as MD/MPH, MD/MPP, and MD/JD that align very clearly with my career interests, so I know it can be done.

I don't get what you're saying about Ben Carson. He was a very successfully physician, no doubt about it, but he is retired. He began to become involved politically AFTER he finished his medical career, not before or during. He was thrust into the limelight with his famous operation, and since then he was manipulated that attention into a basis for his political aspirations. I haven't read/seen anything that suggests politics or policy were always his biggest dreams in life..

you are an aspiring neurosurgeon I see ;)

I am passionate about medicine...it's just not all I want to do in life. I am willing to sacrifice for the field of medicine, but I have outside interests and ambitions. And yeah, it does take years, but I've started right now, in high school. If I continue down the path I'm on, I could very well be on my way to gaining name recognition in the political sphere during college and beyond. And I never said I want to get into the national stage right after medical school. I've said that I would like to complete residency/fellowship and establish a clinical practice before slowly transitioning into politics. There are many programs such as MD/MPH, MD/MPP, and MD/JD that align very clearly with my career interests, so I know it can be done.

I don't get what you're saying about Ben Carson. He was a very successfully physician, no doubt about it, but he is retired. He began to become involved politically AFTER he finished his medical career, not before or during. He was thrust into the limelight with his famous operation, and since then he was manipulated that attention into a basis for his political aspirations. I haven't read/seen anything that suggests politics or policy were always his biggest dreams in life..
As much as I respect his past accomplishments, Carson's fame has led him to become a deluded narcissist, but that is OT. I suppose "politics" was the only path left for him to express just that, unless he wanted to do some ridiculous reality TV or talk show.

I have heard that you can have a life outside of medical school and residency, but it's not enough to be pouring time into any commitment as serious as politics. With a 7+ year gap, you'd have to rebuild from the bottom anyway right after medical school. By that time, you're likely to have a family along with an occupation that demands lots of hours and commitment. When would you be able to start in politics?

As much as I respect his past accomplishments, Carson's fame has led him to become a deluded narcissist, but that is OT. I suppose "politics" was the only path left for him to express just that, unless he wanted to do some ridiculous reality TV or talk show.

I have heard that you can have a life outside of medical school and residency, but it's not enough to be pouring time into any commitment as serious as politics. With a 7+ year gap, you'd have to rebuild from the bottom anyway right after medical school. By that time, you're likely to have a family along with an occupation that demands lots of hours and commitment. When would you be able to start in politics?

Agreed about Carson lol. He just needs to drop out already...what a joke.

That's exactly what I'm worried about. Anyone else wanna weigh in? Now, I have an idea in mind for remaining involved politically while being in medicine...wait for it...forensic psychiatry. I can dabble in both the legal/political and medical field at the same time. I can gain connections through my work with attorneys and judges, and build up a solid voter base through my patients and their families. I can do forensic psych research during med school, which will allow me to strengthen my CV for residency and remain active in policy at the same time. Then, I'll put it on hold during residency and fellowship. When I finally start my own practice around ~30, I can plant my feet in the forensic world while keeping my eyes on the prize, so to speak. I don't think I've ever heard of a forensic psychiatrist turned politician, but where there's a will, there's a way, blah blah blah. Thoughts?? Am I insane??

That's exactly what I'm worried about. Anyone else wanna weigh in? Now, I have an idea in mind for remaining involved politically while being in medicine...wait for it...forensic psychiatry. I can dabble in both the legal/political and medical field at the same time. I can gain connections through my work with attorneys and judges, and build up a solid voter base through my patients and their families. I can do forensic psych research during med school, which will allow me to strengthen my CV for residency and remain active in policy at the same time. Then, I'll put it on hold during residency and fellowship. When I finally start my own practice around ~30, I can plant my feet in the forensic world while keeping my eyes on the prize, so to speak. I don't think I've ever heard of a forensic psychiatrist turned politician, but where there's a will, there's a way, blah blah blah. Thoughts?? Am I insane??

Forensic psych as a politican seems odd. Many MD politicans seem to be country doctors or surgeons/surgical sub specialists. While psych is an awesome field, it might not appeal to average joe voter. Your background will also be subject to controversy as you are called in as an expert witness for murders (again, a necessary and valuable job but not necessarily lending itself to a career in politics)

If I wanted to make the transition from medicine to politics at some point here would be my plan:
-MD/MPH with HPSP scholarship, Primary care or Surgeon.
-Move back to home town
-Open successful practice, connect with local business community
-Connect with local party apparatus (any party would love a hometown veteran, doctor, small-business owner)
-Gain leadership role within party
-Run for State Rep --> State Senator --> Congress --> Who knows?

Worked pretty well for Ron Paul (R): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Paul#Early_life.2C_education.2C_and_medical_career
and Richard Carmona (D): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Carmona

Obviously some differences for both of them but they followed the broad strokes of my outline.

Last edited:
Forensic psych as a politican seems odd. Many MD politicans seem to be country doctors or surgeons/surgical sub specialists. While psych is an awesome field, it might not appeal to average joe voter. Your background will also be subject to controversy as you are called in as an expert witness for murders (again, a necessary and valuable job but not necessarily lending itself to a career in politics)

If I wanted to make the transition from medicine to politics at some point here would be my plan:
-MD/MPH with HPSP scholarship, Primary care or Surgeon.
-Move back to home town
-Open successful practice, connect with local business community
-Connect with local party apparatus (any party would love a hometown veteran, doctor, small-business owner)
-Gain leadership role within party
-Run for State Rep --> State Senator --> Congress --> Who knows?

Worked pretty well for Ron Paul (R): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Paul#Early_life.2C_education.2C_and_medical_career
and Richard Carmona (D): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Carmona

Obviously some differences for both of them but they followed the broad strokes of my outline.

Very interesting insight. Thank you for your thoughts...I was thinking though that as the need for mental health rises in the coming years, psychiatrists will be in high demand and seen as "real MDs" instead of quacks who practice pseudoscience.

As for the HPSP scholarship, it seems like a ton of politicians were either lawyers or in the military, so it seems like HPSP would be logical. It kinda seems like you're signing your life away, though...

That's exactly what I'm worried about. Anyone else wanna weigh in?

You want an honest opinion? You're not going to be the POTUS, MD or not. It is extremely extremely unlikely you will ever hold a national level Senate or House position. Your internship at a Congresswoman's office won't get you there, your being "Persian" certainly won't get you there, and your blatant disregard for feminism in the 21st century will hurt you with a constituency which would typically support you.

And honestly, very few people that go into college wanting to be a neurosurgeon even make it into medical school. You're 17. Spend college figuring out if you want to do politics or medicine, and then commit to one of them (or something completely different).

You want an honest opinion? You're not going to be the POTUS, MD or not. It is extremely extremely unlikely you will ever hold a national level Senate or House position. Your internship at a Congresswoman's office won't get you there, your being "Persian" certainly won't get you there, and your blatant disregard for feminism in the 21st century will hurt you with a constituency which would typically support you.

And honestly, very few people that go into college wanting to be a neurosurgeon even make it into medical school. You're 17. Spend college figuring out if you want to do politics or medicine, and then commit to one of them (or something completely different).

I am aware that it is extremely unlikely. Thanks for the optimism tho. I'm sure you're the same type of person who would've told Obama that he never would've become President due to his ethnicity.
I have "blatant disregard" for what radical third-wave feminism has turned into, not all feminism.
I never said I want to be a neurosurgeon, I specifically stated an interested in psychiatry.

Very interesting insight. Thank you for your thoughts...I was thinking though that as the need for mental health rises in the coming years, psychiatrists will be in high demand and seen as "real MDs" instead of quacks who practice pseudoscience.

Most famous fictional "MD": Gregory House

Most famous fictional Psychiatrist:
Hannibal Lector

Obviously, that's not a scientific comparison but I think it is illustrative. Do what interests you in medicine, obviously. Don't make decisions based on a completely hypothetical political career because in the next 20 years you will change your vision of the future. My life is turning out much differently then I thought when I was 17 (in a good way)

As for the HPSP scholarship, it seems like a ton of politicians were either lawyers or in the military, so it seems like HPSP would be logical. It kinda seems like you're signing your life away, though...
Do what you want. As a voter though, I like politicians who know what War (or at least the military) is like before sending citizens to die over some god forsaken rock.

So, you're the same person who started the thread wanting to know if you can party 5x a week in undergrad? Here, you're 17 y/o, plan to become a practicing physician and then make a lat move into politics and want to know if you can be running for president before you're old like Hilary (who is sooooo old omglol!!1!)

Seriously, 95% of students who start college as premed end up dropping it. I think getting to be president might even be more competitive. I'm sure that you are awesome and you'll do all of these things, but try to take life one step at a time rather than just let blind ambition run your day-to-day life. It is waaaaaaay to early to be thinking about your post medical career life while still in high school. Also, I realize that 68 like Hilary might seem so ancient to a 17 year old, and right now you plan on just walking into the soylent green factory on your 60th b-day, but many people still have a significant career ahead of them at that age.