Possible Career in Clinical Social Work/Psychology, Education Paths?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

will77

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a freshman at the University of Oklahoma, still trying to figure out what to major in, after I figured out that what I was going to major in Journalism, was not what I thought it was going to be. I love writing, but the media field today is crazy, and I could picture myself being very unhappy unless I got lucky and landed an good job right out of college which given the current market for print journalism is very unlikely.

So right now I've decided I either want to major in psychology or social work mostly because I enjoy helping people. I would want to go into the clinical side of social work/psychology vs. the administrative side. I think I would like to be a therapist, counselor, or counseling/clinical psychologist. I'd probably want to work in some type of health service/ counseling center setting.

I'm still trying to figure out what the best path to achieving this goal would be. From what I've researched so far it seems to term "psychologist" is becoming hard to define. I've narrowed my options down to a few educational routes. So should I get a BA in psychology, MA psychology, and then possibly a PsyD. Or should I get a BA in social work, then get my MSW in social work, the university I'm attending now offers a dual degree program to get a MSW, and MPH, would that be worth it since I'm don't really think I want to go into anything administrative? If I get an MSW and then my LCSW will I be able to get a job as a therapist/ psychological counselor? My university also offers a graduate program doctorate program in counseling psychology, and a M.E.d Community Counseling degree, are any of these good options?

I guess I'm just trying to figure out what the best route is to become a therapist/ psychological counselor is.

Also does anyone know anything about how good OU's psychology and social work programs are?

I'm just trying to figure out what degree I need to meet my career goals.

Members don't see this ad.

First off, MORE RESEARCH. Seriously, you're heading out in several different directions. Given that you want to be a therapist/counselor, I think an MSW or MSW/MPH (why the two?) might be a good road, since it is less focused on research and more focused on practice. LCSW's are often adminstrators, but are also often therapists. It depends on the focus of the school you attend (i.e. you can get an MSW and licensed at both UChicago and Smith College, but they'll prepare you for different things). OU has a pretty good program from what I remember (I interned for a summer at OSU with a student from OU)...