USUHS Clinical Psychology 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Larry Arrington

Reaction score
Hello, everyone!

I'm continuing the trend of USUHS Clinical Psychology PhD thread creation. I'm AD AF, applying for the first time to this year's upcoming program (2024). Who else out there has applied/plans to apply? I'm anticipating a non-selection letter this year due to a lack of research and clinical experience, but you never know until you try. Crazier things have happened. For anyone who has been non-selected in the past, did they provide any feedback on why you weren't chosen? Thanks in advance and best of luck to everyone!

- Larry

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hello, everyone!

I'm continuing the trend of USUHS Clinical Psychology PhD thread creation. I'm AD AF, applying for the first time to this year's upcoming program (2024). Who else out there has applied/plans to apply? I'm anticipating a non-selection letter this year due to a lack of research and clinical experience, but you never know until you try. Crazier things have happened. For anyone who has been non-selected in the past, did they provide any feedback on why you weren't chosen? Thanks in advance and best of luck to everyone!

- Larry
Hello Larry,

I was about to do the same thing. AD USN here and finished my application back in August. I wish you the best this year. I applied last year and didn't get an interview, so I started a master's in Applied Psychology this year, a podcast on mental health promotion for military veterans, and helped a professor with a publication that is currently in peer review, so fingers crossed this year will be different. Haha.

Last year I didn't get any feedback on why I wasn't selected from the school, but I spoke with some of the current students and they gave me some feedback on my application. I would reach out to your service student representative for some advice and maybe even see if they are willing to review your package if you are non-selected. Once again, congratulations on taking the first step and best of luck with getting interviews! 🙂

Very Respectfully,
Zachary Wilbur

Hello, everyone!

- Larry
I'm AD Navy and got waitlisted last year on my first try. I'm applying for all three service this time just to see if I can increase my chances in getting in.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm AD Navy and got waitlisted last year on my first try. I'm applying for all three service this time just to see if I can increase my chances in getting in.
Also active duty Navy! Applied for the first time last year & got waitlisted. Already submitted my application for 2024, fingers crossed. Did you attend open house last year?

I am NG Army. I applied this year for the first time too hoping to get accepted.
I’ve been stressing since the day I got an email that my application was complete and then she said “good luck”.

I am really hoping to be accepted. I want to be a mental health provider so bad. It’s a passion. I have a masters now in psychology but no research experience though I have a certificate in Human Research.

I pray we all get accepted. That will be fun

Hi!!!

I am active duty, navy, applying for the first time! I will be hitting the submit button tomorrow and will hope for the best 😂… I am super excited, may we all get selected 😆

Hello Fellow Applicants! Is anyone here applying to the civilian track or know anyone who is? Also, is there an age limit for military track applicants?

Hi!!!

I am active duty, navy, applying for the first time! I will be hitting the submit button tomorrow and will hope for the best … I am super excited, may we all get selected

Did you hit the submit button yet?

Hi,

I'm AD Air Force applying for the second time. I applied in 2021 and did not get an interview. I PCSed last fall so I couldn't apply last year, but it gave me time to get a better application. This thread seems like there are fewer people than in previous years checking this page.

Last edited:
Hello Fellow Applicants! Is anyone here applying to the civilian track or know anyone who is? Also, is there an age limit for military track applicants?
Hi,
I'm applying to the military track myself. I believe there is an age limit but I can't say the exact cutoff. I know traditional military commissioning has an age that requires a waiver once you meet it. With this program I do no know if it is earlier due to the length of the program.

Hello
Did anyone hear anything yet?
I tried calling yesterday and I was told they are still accepting documents till the 15th of December due to some active duty applicants not being able to get their documents on time.

My anxiety is uncontrollable at this point

Hello, everyone!

I have not heard anything yet, unfortunately. I'm shocked that they would extend the deadline for application. As competitive as this program is, I expected things the attitude toward late application requests to be "better luck next year." However, I've been behind a deadline or two in my lifetime, so I'm glad they are showing some grace and allowing people an opportunity. Best of luck to everyone and happy holidays. As I'm sure you all can relate, I am suffering through this Christmas season (haha). Ciao for now.

- Larry

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I applied and put the civilian track as a backup, from what I can tell there isn't an age limit as they do not have to serve after graduation.

Hello, everyone!

I have not heard anything yet, unfortunately. I'm shocked that they would extend the deadline for application. As competitive as this program is, I expected things the attitude toward late application requests to be "better luck next year." However, I've been behind a deadline or two in my lifetime, so I'm glad they are showing some grace and allowing people an opportunity. Best of luck to everyone and happy holidays. As I'm sure you all can relate, I am suffering through this Christmas season (haha). Ciao for now.

- Larry
I think it also is in part to processing documents. I spoke with them on December 1st and they indicated they had over 300 emails with supporting documentation they were sorting through. They were unable to provide a status on my documents submitted earlier that week due to that backlog. They similarly extended the document deadline in the AY2022 cycle that I applied for. From what I have seen we should not expect any notification until early January.
I'm just trying to keep it off my mind to get to January to avoid that anxiousness.

I think it also is in part to processing documents. I spoke with them on December 1st and they indicated they had over 300 emails with supporting documentation they were sorting through. They were unable to provide a status on my documents submitted earlier that week due to that backlog. They similarly extended the document deadline in the AY2022 cycle that I applied for. From what I have seen we should not expect any notification until early January.
I'm just trying to keep it off my mind to get to January to avoid that anxiousness.
Thank you for the insight. Knowing that I shouldn't expect anything until January actually helps me think about it a little bit less. Did they give you any feedback on your application from last year? I hope your perseverance pays off! Best of luck, my friend.

- Larry

Thank you for the insight. Knowing that I shouldn't expect anything until January actually helps me think about it a little bit less. Did they give you any feedback on your application from last year? I hope your perseverance pays off! Best of luck, my friend.

- Larry
Thanks, best of look to you as well! I did not get specific feedback, just a long list with suggested areas of improvement compared to what their applicants typically have. I was too new in the Ph.D. application process to know I could have requested specific feedback or even a TA to offer a review. That first application I assumed it would be more military fashion than traditional university application, but from what I have inferred I was mistaken. I've spent the time since building my clinical volunteering and research work but still have nothing published.

Hopefully we find more news next week. 2nd week of January is when I received my invitation last year.

Hi everyone!
It's January and I'm anxiously waiting for some news. Last year, I received my interview email on the 9th so I hope to hear something soon. This is my fourth year applying. Good luck to everyone!

Hi everyone!
It's January and I'm anxiously waiting for some news. Last year, I received my interview email on the 9th so I hope to hear something soon. This is my fourth year applying. Good luck to everyone!
Hey! I've been applying to the AF program for a few times now. Do you mind me asking if they gave you any feedback after your interview last year?

Hey! I've been applying to the AF program for a few times now. Do you mind me asking if they gave you any feedback after your interview last year?
I did not receive feedback after. I received a generic non-selection letter. However, based off my interview, I figured the reason for non-selection is lack of research experience.

I did not receive feedback after. I received a generic non-selection letter. However, based off my interview, I figured the reason for non-selection is lack of research experience.
I understand. Gaining research experience has been some of the most challenging part of building my applications.

Nothing for me either. I've been checking GradCafe and there does not seem to be any notifications on there either.

Last edited:
Anybody received anything yet? I'm in my first year applying for AD Army (currently National Guard), but I don't think I'm particularly competitive. I don't have much research experience (took >10 years for me to go back to school and finish my bachelors, which I just graduated with). I'm cautiously optimistic, but I anticipate a rejection. Still, I know it can't hurt to try!

Anybody received anything yet? I'm in my first year applying for AD Army (currently National Guard), but I don't think I'm particularly competitive. I don't have much research experience (took >10 years for me to go back to school and finish my bachelors, which I just graduated with). I'm cautiously optimistic, but I anticipate a rejection. Still, I know it can't hurt to try!
I haven't heard anything yet. Since they extended the application deadline two weeks, I'm thinking we should hear something next week based off when notifications have gone out in previous years.

I applied for the Navy, what about you?
Air Force. I haven't heard anything back yet, but I hope it's because different branches are sending their invites out at different times.
Good luck on your interview! :)

Air Force. I haven't heard anything back yet, but I hope it's because different branches are sending their invites out at different times.
Good luck on your interview! :)
My wife got the Airforce invitation this morning

Last edited:
No email yet... Whelp. I guess it's time to work on next year's application. Lol.

No email yet... Whelp. I guess it's time to work on next year's application. Lol.
Same. I guess 4th year applying wasn't my time 😅 here's to next year!

So first time applying here. For my information, if you don’t get an interview invitation is it considered better luck next time? Thanks for the information

So first time applying here. For my information, if you don’t get an interview invitation is it considered better luck next time? Thanks for the information
They will send out emails stating you were not selected this year. Those emails usually come after the interview ones are sent.

I applied for Army, Navy, and Airforce. Hopefully that didn't affect my application. Lol

I am hoping they still haven't sent out all the invites yet. 😬
I am as well. I've seen two on GradCafe and two interview confirmations on here... but in past years I've seen several more confirmations.

I am as well. I've seen two on GradCafe and two interview confirmations on here... but in past years I've seen several more confirmations.
I am stresssasssssing. Luckily my wife noticed and reminded me to just take a breath. 😂 I remember a lot more last year too, maybe more will roll out as the week goes on. I wish everyone the best of luck!

I am stresssasssssing. Luckily my wife noticed and reminded me to just take a breath. 😂 I remember a lot more last year too, maybe more will roll out as the week goes on. I wish everyone the best of luck!
I hope they do roll out today and tomorrow for everyone!