Possible Career: Interested in psychology and neuroscience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajh1995

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be a sophomore this fall and I still don't have a solid idea of what I want to do.
My problem is that I love psychology when I am learning about disorders, the brain, why medications work (anything else besides therapy and testing). On the other hand I also want to work with patients (but not all of the time). I enjoy learning about the brain/nervous system in general even when it isn't directly connected to psychology.

I know what my interests are but I don't know what field would satisfy my preferences.

To add, I don't mind being in school for a while whether it's for medical school of for a doctorate. I am already in a psychology program with an emphasis in neuroscience so I will have pre-med requirements finished at graduation just in case.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Psychiatry, Neurology, NDD, Behavioral Pediatrics.

Do you know what you call a psych PhD? Unemployed.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys. I just finished my degree in electronics engineering(major nanotechnology) but realized belatedly that my heart lies in psychology. Let us assume that I am short on money and can only get a scholarship for a masters program and this scholarship takes into account this degree I just finished(compulsory). This(psychology) is a broad discipline and was wondering if you guys could give me some opinions on which psychology discipline best meshes with my undergrad field of study or which psychology discipline program I would have the highest chance of getting into, considering that I only have the pre- requisites from my electronics engineering degree.(subject studies include some minor c programming, lots of maths, a bit of chemistry,lots of physics that leans towards lots of quantum mechanical theories, ya, basically that's all..). So what psychology discipline or subdivision should I be looking at with this limited arsenal of academic knowledge?

Do you want a job? - like ever? Because an advanced degree in psychology is not the way to get one. Do factor in future career prospects into your decision-making.