Possible reapplicant.....some questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted445355

Hi guys,

I posted some questions earlier about reapplying but no one answer, so I decided to take a stab at posting again! My question is: If you significantly improve your application significantly to make it very competitive, will top 10 med schools look upon your favorably and consider you for an interview? The reason I am asking is that I have heard some different answers on SDN regarding this. Some say that you have essentially no shot at a top 10 being a re-applicant or taking the MCAT multiple times despite improving significantly because others shine on their first try. Others say that you have just as much as a shot as others if you improve your application significantly. I would greatly appreciate if I could have some sort of consensus on this or receive stories of people who got into top 10 schools as re-applicants.

Thanks,

Coco

Members don't see this ad.

I'm interested in research-heavy schools and the best research schools happen to be top 10.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't comment about the impact being a re-applicant does/doesn't have at top-10 schools, but in general the types of individuals who "elite" research institutions seek aren't the same people who have to reapply.

Reactions: 2 users
Anything is possible. I was a reapplicant but added research (as a grad student - my "gap year"), improved greatly on a new MCAT (at the time) and got into a top 5. Maybe I was the exception but one never knows till one tries - chase your dream

Reactions: 1 users
There are also schools with great research that AREN'T top 10. University of Rochester, Case Western Reserve, Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine, UCLA, Mayo, and NYU are some schools that I have interviewed at / will interview at this cycle, and I am very impressed with what I know about their research opportunities. If you limit yourself to such a narrow search criterion as "top 10", you might miss out on a great institution or you might not end up getting in (since those schools are so selective, that possibility should always be on your radar).

Good luck!

Reactions: 7 users
Thanks everyone for the encouraging comments. The reason I was asking is that I will most likely be a reapplicant and I wanted some peace of mind knowing that my dreams can still come true.

Add Loyola, USC, and Einstein to the list (among others)!

There are also schools with great research that AREN'T top 10. University of Rochester, Case Western Reserve, Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine, UCLA, Mayo, and NYU are some schools that I have interviewed at / will interview at this cycle, and I am very impressed with what I know about their research opportunities. If you limit yourself to such a narrow search criterion as "top 10", you might miss out on a great institution or you might not end up getting in (since those schools are so selective, that possibility should always be on your radar).

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Add Loyola, USC, and Einstein to the list (among others)!

Absolutely! My list was definitely not exhaustive, just a few I can speak personally to :) thanks for adding more!