post-bacc students and the medcap loan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twocats

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I heard recently that certain post-bacc programs qualify you for the Wells Fargo Med Cap loan, but the website is really unclear. Does anyone have any experience with this loan? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

What is this loan? Does it perhaps require that the post bacc offer a degree?

its a lower-interest loan that is usually offered only to students in a medical program. it turns out though that post-bac premed students (at least in some programs-- i am in the columbia program) are eligible for the loan. it just requires a little asking around at wells fargo.

hope this is helpful for anyone else trying to finance their post-bacs!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this an add by a WF sales rep?

no, just a post-bacc student trying to figure out how to finance things... sorry if it came off as advertising, just trying to be helpful.

Did it work out? I am in the middle of trying to secure some of these loans as well.

I have heard fables that postbac premed that are in a formal program are eligible for many of the med school student loan programs that all the big banks have.

I will let you know if I find any additional information.

P.S. I heard that Citizens accepts you if you are part of a formal postbac.

Last edited:
Yes! It did work out-- great rate (6%) and normal deferment periods (so you can defer until you get out of med school). You might have to call a few times and talk to different people-- at first they told me I was not eligible but eventually I was able to find a rep who could help me. Good luck!