Post-Doc Interview Invites (non-neuro)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coffee&CBT

Post Doc
Reaction score
It's about that time! We can use this thread to share information about post-doc interview invitations, specifically non-neuro positions. Good luck to everyone! Can use the format below:

Official Site Name:
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums):
Date Invitation Received:
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email):
Interview Dates Offered:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for starting this! I was obsessively searching through the previous year’s threads 🤣

Official Site Name: VA Puget Sound Seattle
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): PCMHI
Date Invitation Received: 12/5/2022
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email): personal email
Interview Dates Offered: Several options from mid January to late January

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for starting this thread! Sending out good vibes as we brace ourselves for another interview season :giggle:

Official Site Name: Scottish Rite for Children
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): pediatric psychology
Date Invitation Received: 12/13/22
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email): email
Interview Dates Offered: 12/16, 1/12, 1/16

Has anyone heard from UT Austin for ped psych? Their application deadline is technically tomorrow but website says interviews will be done a rolling basis.

Hey everyone! The Albany VA had a glitch with their APPIC posting and it did not go live. They are extending their deadline for applications to 1/6!! If you are interested in a PTSD postdoc at a VA you can check out their listing here Albany VA. You can also reach out to the DCT, Dr. Guglielmi, listed on the site for information about the position. Happy to answer any questions if anyone has any.
Good luck in the postdoc search!
Just boosting this as they are still looking for a postdoc for next year! :)

Last edited:
Official Site Name: University of Kansas Medical Center
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Clinical Child Psychology
Date Invitation Received: 12/13/22
Interview Dates Offered: 1/6

Official Site Name: VA Puget Sound, American Lake Division (Tacoma)
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): PCMHI
Date Invitation Received: 12/15/22
Interview Dates Offered: There will be a follow-up email to schedule

I just had a question for all of you who are currently applying for postdoc or have already gone through the process- for sites that ask for three letters of recommendation, who did you ask? Is it usually your research advisor/dissertation chair and then two supervisors from internship? I should add for a clinically-focused VA postdoc (not research focus).

I just realized I probably should have tagged our heroes @summerbabe and @WisNeuro from the internship thread who have been amazing at answering all of our questions. Thank you in advance!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just had a question for all of you who are currently applying for postdoc or have already gone through the process- for sites that ask for three letters of recommendation, who did you ask? Is it usually your research advisor/dissertation chair and then two supervisors from internship? I should add for a clinically-focused VA postdoc (not research focus).

I just realized I probably should have tagged our heroes @summerbabe and @WisNeuro from the internship thread who have been amazing at answering all of our questions. Thank you in advance!!
I did one from internship, my advisor, and then the prac supervisor who supervised me in work closest to that of the postdocs to which I applied. It seemed to work well!

I did my dissertation chair and my DCT/assessment supervisor and clinical supervisor from internship! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
For sites that specifically requested our dissertation chair, I did them, an internship supervisor, and a supervisor from my last externship. For all other sites, I did 2 supervisors from internship and the externship supervisor.

I should add for a clinically-focused VA postdoc (not research focus).
I did a VA internship and then VA postdoc. IIRC, I asked my doc advisor and 2 internship supervisors, partly because I only had the chance to work significantly with 2 internship supervisor by the time apps were due.

If you have 3 good relationships with internship supervisors and they are all excited to write you a good letter, that should work as well for clinical postdocs (especially if you’re at a VA internship currently).

As a current VA internship supervisor and training committee member, I personally give more weight to a good letter from VA staff than non-VA source and whether they believe the applicant will continue to be successful in this type of setting.

Depends on your training area and who can adequately talk to those skills. Also, some people may not have had many supervisors on internship by the time postdoc apps are due depending on how rotations are set up. I used one supervisors from internship, one supervisor from a neuropsych prac site that I spent a year and a half at, and my grad school advisor as there was a significant research component to the fellowship.

Official Site Name: Baylor College of Medicine/Texas Children’s Hospital
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Pediatric Primary Care/Clinical Elective
Date Invitation Received: 12/16/22
Interview Dates Offered: Various dates in January

Reactions: 1 users
Official Site Name: Oregon Health Science University
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Behavioral Pediatrics/ Integrated Pediatric Primary Care
Date Invitation Received: 12/16/22
Interview Dates Offered: There will be a follow-up email to schedule

Reactions: 2 users
Official Site Name: VA Sepulveda
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): WMH Diversity and Trauma Focus
Date Invitation Received: 12/28/22
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email): mass email
Interview Dates Offered: 1/24, 1/27

Official Site Name: Children's Health Dallas
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Eating Disorders Concentration
Date Invitation Received: 12/23/22
Interview Dates Offered: 1/10, 1/11

Anyone heard back from Kennedy Krieger (Trauma Informed Child And Family Treatment)?

Anyone else feeling stressed out by the lack of posts/feeling like they are going to be rejected everywhere since they haven’t heard from some places? It’s like internship all over again 😂

Anyone else feeling stressed out by the lack of posts/feeling like they are going to be rejected everywhere since they haven’t heard from some places? It’s like internship all over again 😂
I feel this so incredibly hard right now o_O

Sites I've gotten interview invitations at that aren't on the spreadsheet yet:

Puget Sound American Lake Division-Primary Care
HealthPoint
Swedish Medical Group
Milwaukee VA-Primary Care
Hines VA-Primary Care
Ascension Genesys
Detroit VA-Primary Care
Cleveland VA-Health Psych
Cleveland Clinic-Health Psych
Salt Lake City VA
Henry Ford Hospital
Medical College of Wisconsin

Is there a non-neuro postdoc spreadsheet? (forgive me if I missed it somewhere obvious).

Sites I've heard back from that were not listed above (all 100% clinical):
Stanford Pain Medicine
Stanford Circadian Health
University of Florida- health psych
University of Washington- rehab psych
Palo Alto VA- rehab psych
Johns Hopkins- rehab psych
Dartmouth-Hitchcock- adult

Also, has anyone gotten any unexpected/challenging interview questions? I'm prepping less this year than I did for internship but I'm getting nervous!!

Official Site Name: Mendota Mental Health Institute
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Forensic
Date Invitation Received: 1/6
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email): Email
Interview Dates Offered: 1/19 or 1/24

I had my first interview yesterday and I wasn't prepared for the crushing wave of anxiety that hit last night. It was my dream site and it's scary that so much of my future hinges on things outside of my control.
I have a few more potential "dream site" interviews (including another track at this same site) but I really just want a sense of direction and security already. It is hard to fall in love with a fellowship and know that it's likely not going to be an option for you. Because of the smaller applicant pool, I've gotten some fantastic interviews, but I worry that I won't get offers because of the quality of the other candidates.
How am I feeling less chill than last year??

I had my first interview yesterday and I wasn't prepared for the crushing wave of anxiety that hit last night. It was my dream site and it's scary that so much of my future hinges on things outside of my control.
I have a few more potential "dream site" interviews (including another track at this same site) but I really just want a sense of direction and security already. It is hard to fall in love with a fellowship and know that it's likely not going to be an option for you. Because of the smaller applicant pool, I've gotten some fantastic interviews, but I worry that I won't get offers because of the quality of the other candidates.
How am I feeling less chill than last year??
You just summed up exactly what I was feeling last night 😭

Also, what are people’s thoughts on sending thank you emails after interviewing at a fellowship?

Also, what are people’s thoughts on sending thank you emails after interviewing at a fellowship?
I was wondering this also, would love thoughts if we should since they aren't getting bombarded with a bajillion like during internship season.

Any updates from CHOC C/L or peds primary care?
I haven’t heard from C/L yet (or acute services). I know a few people in the program now and I know she said as of like twoish weeks ago she hadn’t heard about them sending anything yet for acute services or C/L

Does anyone have any guesses on approximately how many people most sites interview? I'm applying to all forensic spots and most of the sites have 25-30 applicants and 2 positions available.

I'm planning to send thank yous. I did after internship interviews and generally got nice responses. I think it's just as appropriate for post doc interviews.

You just summed up exactly what I was feeling last night 😭
I'm sorry you're feeling it too :(
I pretty much succumbed to the anxiety this weekend but I think (hope) I am over the worst of it now.

I'm trying to let go of the ~very unhelpful~ belief that the "right" postdoc will set me up for a lifetime of success and happiness, and the "wrong" postdoc will lead to mediocrity and/or hardship. All roads lead to Rome. We'll succeed in our careers regardless of which specific fellowship we get (if we even go the fellowship route). Reappraise reappraise reappraise.

Finally have a couple to share!!

Official Site Name: Vanderbilt Center of Excellence
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Child Welfare and Trauma-Informed Care
Date Invitation Received: 1/10
Interview Dates Offered: 1/17 & 1/19, varying times

Official Site Name: Rowan SOM Cares Institute
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Child Trauma Clinical/Research
Date Invitation Received: 1/9 (after passing screening interview)
Interview Dates Offered: 1/12 but flexible

Official Site Name: Dell Medical School/Dell Children’s
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Inpatient Medical C/L
Date Invitation Received: 1/10
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email): email
Interview Dates Offered: various dates in January

Anyone still waiting on CHOC or just figured it’s a rejection by now?

Has anyone heard from the University of Maine Forensic Postdoc Program? Or is it maybe still too early?

Thanks!

Has anyone heard from the following sites?:

Palo Alto VA- Psychosocial Rehabilitation Track
San Francisco VA- Psychosocial Rehabilitation, Addiction and Trauma, Women's Mental Health Tracks

Would be grateful to know. Thanks!

Has anyone heard from Western State Hospital or UMass for forensic fellowship?

Not a word, I plan to reach out though. So I will update you if I hear back
A true hero right now to me for reaching out!! Been so busy with dissertation publication and clients so I appreciate any update!!

How long after the application deadline do you typically wait to follow up? I’ve heard from some sites, but the majority of places I applied to I haven’t heard anything either way. I’m also not sure if rejection letters or *crickets* are more common for post docs 😂