Post-Doc Interview Invites (non-neuro)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How long after the application deadline do you typically wait to follow up? I’ve heard from some sites, but the majority of places I applied to I haven’t heard anything either way. I’m also not sure if rejection letters or *crickets* are more common for post docs 😂
Ugh I am struggling with this too. I submitted applications well before the deadline but the deadline wasn't until Jan 2 - 4th and I want to reach out but unsure how long is long enough before doing so??

Members don't see this ad.

Ugh I am struggling with this too. I submitted applications well before the deadline but the deadline wasn't until Jan 2 - 4th and I want to reach out but unsure how long is long enough before doing so??
I definitely wish there was more guidance on this process!

Members don't see this ad :)
How long after the application deadline do you typically wait to follow up? I’ve heard from some sites, but the majority of places I applied to I haven’t heard anything either way. I’m also not sure if rejection letters or *crickets* are more common for post docs 😂
Are these sites participating in the universal notification day or not, when did you apply, and when did their deadline close?

I scanned my emails from my postdoc year and mid to late January is when I started to hear back about statuses and interview invites.

If these are programs that had a 1/1/23 deadline, I might wait a little longer since they may still be reviewing applications and will likely do interviews in February.

If these are sites had much earlier deadlines, a brief inquiry email to the Training Director seems very appropriate. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Are these sites participating in the universal notification day or not, when did you apply, and when did their deadline close?

I scanned my emails from my postdoc year and mid to late January is when I started to hear back about statuses and interview invites.

If these are programs that had a 1/1/23 deadline, I might wait a little longer since they may still be reviewing applications and will likely do interviews in February.

If these are sites had much earlier deadlines, a brief inquiry email to the Training Director seems very appropriate. Good luck!
Thanks! That’s good to know.

Thanks! That’s good to know.
Sooo the site I applied to well before the deadline finally emailed me an invite the day I was going to check in with them (even though the brochure indicated we would hear back by the 13th). Hopefully it means a lot of sites are just taking more time to get back to us this year!

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone have an idea how long to expect to hear back from places post-interviews?

Anyone have an idea how long to expect to hear back from places post-interviews?
I’ve heard from colleagues that some sites that don’t participate in the universal match day and schedule first come first serve interviews may make offers as early as the day after an interview (and sometimes also present a very small acceptance window) while others take their time and evaluate the group of candidates as a whole once all interviews are done so it depends.

I think sites that only offer 1 or 2 postdoc spots and aren’t institutionally affiliated might be likely to make quick offers in order to ‘lock in’ a postdoc for the next year.

Reactions: 1 user
Second what summerbabe wrote. For sites that make team-based decisions, they typically schedule a meeting within a week or so after interviewing all candidates to discuss ranking and then extend offers. The interviewers/directors typically tell you about timelines (especially those that don't follow the Common Hold Date) but feel free to ask if they don't.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at one site that sent offers the very evening after interviews ended (and notified me the next day that they had done so).

Sooo the site I applied to well before the deadline finally emailed me an invite the day I was going to check in with them (even though the brochure indicated we would hear back by the 13th). Hopefully it means a lot of sites are just taking more time to get back to us this year!
You are probably right about the timing. Also, congrats on the interview!

If a site tells you that they will get back to you by the end of the week and that time has come and gone (last week) would it be appropriate to reach out at the end of this week as a follow up?

I'm curious about people's thoughts on reaching out to higher-ranked sites after being extended an offer by a lower-ranked site.
I know it's allowed (and potentially encouraged) but I'm wondering whether it can do any good? If the higher-ranked sites haven't made the decision yet, knowing that doesn't really help much. And if they have made the decision but haven't contacted you, wouldn't it usually be because you're not their top choice and they're waiting for other applicants to accept or decline offers they extended? Aren't sites that have already filled their position supposed to reach out and inform you of that immediately?

I'm curious about people's thoughts on reaching out to higher-ranked sites after being extended an offer by a lower-ranked site.
I know it's allowed (and potentially encouraged) but I'm wondering whether it can do any good? If the higher-ranked sites haven't made the decision yet, knowing that doesn't really help much. And if they have made the decision but haven't contacted you, wouldn't it usually be because you're not their top choice and they're waiting for other applicants to accept or decline offers they extended? Aren't sites that have already filled their position supposed to reach out and inform you of that immediately?
One place told me to reach out to them if we get an offer from a lower site even if the higher-ranked site hasnt made decisions yet. They said they can at least then try to give an idea of where one might stand with them

Hi all, i’m anxiously waiting to hear from my top choices about offers🥴 has anyone heard from the peds psych positions at Kennedy Krieger or John Hopkins all children’s?

Does anyone know if programs generally notify waitlists at the same time as their initial offers, or do they titrate the notifications?

Does anyone know if programs generally notify waitlists at the same time as their initial offers, or do they titrate the notifications?
A site informed me I was on the wait-list once they learned that the recipients of their their initial offers would be holding those offers (they would know within 24 hrs).

Anyone apply to UT Southwestern center for autism? Or Vanderbilt TRIAD autism center?
My friend and I have both heard back from other Vanderbilt tracks. Him a week or so ago and I heard back today, maybe don't give up hope!

Anyone apply to UT Southwestern center for autism? Or Vanderbilt TRIAD autism center?
I applied to Children's Health which is affiliated with UT Southwestern but not sure if it is the same program. I received an offer via phone call on 1/30.

Officially accepted my post-doc position and can rest easy :giggle: Sending good vibes to all those still making big life choices!!

Reactions: 3 users