Thank You Email Length

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tommotan

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know the general advice is to make sure thank you emails are brief. Is 300 words ok (as an upper limit)? That's less than two-thirds of a page in Microsoft Word, but I still wonder if that's kind of long for an email.

To clarify, I'm referring to thank you emails that are sent to those who've interviewed me for residency positions.

Members don't see this ad.

I know the general advice is to make sure thank you emails are brief. Is 300 words ok (as an upper limit)? That's less than two-thirds of a page in Microsoft Word, but I still wonder if that's kind of long for an email.

To clarify, I'm referring to thank you emails that are sent to those who've interviewed me for residency positions.
3 sentences. Max.

Reactions: 1 users

I understand people want to send these things, but the only possible reason I'm reading more than 1 sentence is to see if you're going to say that you're ranking my program #1. Not that I'm going to do anything because of that, but because I iike reading that. Otherwise, I can't imagine why I would want to read anything longer than "Thanks for inviting me, I enjoyed the day, Sincerely xxx".

Reactions: 1 user
the only possible reason I'm reading more than 1 sentence is to see if you're going to say that you're ranking my program #1. Not that I'm going to do anything because of that, but because I iike reading that.

I love reading stuff like this, because it underscores the futility of everything we do during the residency selection process, despite our earnest belief in the opposite.

I have a friend that sits on a resident selection committee and has for the past ~5 years. She says they swoon over beautifully crafted & sincere thank you letters/letters of intent and that these factors into ROL decisions. Considering there are thousands of selection committees around the country wondering wtf to do with all of these letters, I imagine there's often a difference of opinion.

Personal opinion: few give af about my letter, but I'm gonna beautifully craft it none-the-less.

Reactions: 1 users