Post Primary and Secondary Submission Addition of MCAT test date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1DayLilDrBear

Believer in Second Chances :)
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I took the MCAT Aug 29 and did well but not as well as I'd like. I'm retaking late September. I already sent my primary and secondaries off. Will schools be notified that I'm retaking or do I need to individually tell them? Will they just evaluate me based on my first take or wait for my second results to come in?
PS. Yes, I should have waited for the next cycle to apply. It's been a stressful terrible experience. Don't be me!

Members don't see this ad.

Define how "you did well?" Are you consistently hitting your target score NOW? A 1 month gap between 2 testings might be a rush for you if you aren't improving drastically.

I got a 512, but was consistently scoring 520-524 on practice tests. I got into a car crash the morning before the exam so figured that had some to do with the nerves. I've taken a few more practice tests since testing and been hitting in the same range. My question is will schools be notified by AMCAS that I'm taking the test again if I added the date to my application?

I got a 512, but was consistently scoring 520-524 on practice tests. I got into a car crash the morning before the exam so figured that had some to do with the nerves. I've taken a few more practice tests since testing and been hitting in the same range. My question is will schools be notified by AMCAS that I'm taking the test again if I added the date to my application?
You have to tell schools you are retaking if you want them to wait. AMCAS will not tell them until it sends them the score. I am pretty sure you can update your primary to reflect this, and it will go to all schools. The important thing is, since you are already complete, schools are under no obligation to wait for a later score before reviewing you, although most will if you give them the heads up. All schools will automatically receive your new score once it is available.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why are you retaking a 512? Are your scores unbalanced? To a lot of schools, retaking a 512 makes you look conceited; which is not a good look.

Why are you retaking a 512? Are your scores unbalanced? To a lot of schools, retaking a 512 makes you look conceited; which is not a good look.
????? 512 is a perfectly good score, but it is in a different zip code from 522. If special circumstances caused OP to significantly under perform, why shouldn't he retake to try to achieve his potential? The difference between an 512 and 522 for him is the same as 502 to 512, or 492 to 502 for someone else. Each 10 point jump opens up a different set of possibilities, and one is no more legitimate to chase than another. Retaking a 512 to try for a 515 is crazy; 512 to 522, not so much.

You’ll need to check with individual schools about whether they will receive or accept new scores. If you have already submitted your secondaries, your file is already marked complete and may not automatically updated.

Reactions: 1 user
????? 512 is a perfectly good score, but it is in a different zip code from 522. If special circumstances caused OP to significantly under perform, why shouldn't he retake to try to achieve his potential? The difference between an 512 and 522 for him is the same as 502 to 512, or 492 to 502 for someone else. Each 10 point jump opens up a different set of possibilities, and one is no more legitimate to chase than another. Retaking a 512 to try for a 515 is crazy; 512 to 522, not so much.
Yes but youre ASSUMING that OP will get that 520+. Wanna know whats “ worse” than one 512? 2 512s, if OP’s goal is schools with 520 averages. I doubt a retake so soon will result in a 520+.

Yes but youre ASSUMING that OP will get that 520+. Wanna know whats “ worse” than one 512? 2 512s, if OP’s goal is schools with 520 averages. I doubt a retake so soon will result in a 520+.
I am not assuming anything. I'm taking OP at his/her word. 520-524 on FLs; car crash morning of exam. If it were me, I'd retake rather than settling for the 512. I'd want the shot at 524, if it were legit, even at the risk of having to explain another 512.