post residency job search timetable

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Redrox

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Finishing up my last year of residency, had thought I wanted to head back to my hometown but did not like the hospital groups, got a really bad vibe and am now looking more broadly, all over the country is fair game..

Are the good jobs locked up at this point? Did any of you find your first job (and a good one ) with the ACEP job fair or later ?

Members don't see this ad.

I found a job earlier last year, got it settled and signed by October, but but I had special circumstances rcircumstances. Most of my colleagues didn't find theirs until later in the year or early next year. The only caveats would be if you plan on going to a state that takes a long time to license (like Texas) you may want to start the ball rolling on that sooner.

Also, it's really hard to look for jobs all over the country, as the are so many. It'd behoove you to do some research and figure out where you want to live first, then look for jobs there...

I found Google maps, Wikipedia, sperling's best places, and city-data to be valuable sources on finding a place I might like to live.

Finishing up my last year of residency, had thought I wanted to head back to my hometown but did not like the hospital groups, got a really bad vibe and am now looking more broadly, all over the country is fair game..

Are the good jobs locked up at this point? Did any of you find your first job (and a good one ) with the ACEP job fair or later ?

ACEP's job site and CareerMD are decent places to look. Some of the best can be found by cold calling/emailing the ED director or contacting HR at a particular hospital system to put you in touch with the right person. Yes, there are many SDG/CMGs interviewing at ACEP. I went my last year of residency and did some elbow rubbing and a few interviews. I even flew out to check one of the places out after ACEP and it probably wouldn't have crossed my radar if I hadn't met the guy there. You can do a lot of networking which is never a bad thing.

I wouldn't sweat the timeline. You need to try to narrow down a region and figure out what is important to you. After that, try to figure out which states you want to work... Some states you can get a quick license (VA - 2 weeks, Maine - less?) whereas TX (~1year), MS (6 months), TN (3 months), CA (~1 year?), you get the picture. That will give you an idea as to whether you can hit the ground running after residency. If you can't, just do locums or moonlight locally in your state until you get licensed in your new state and credentialed at your new hospital system. People always panic about not having their first job lined up in time after residency but there's absolutely no reason why you should have to go without work even if there is a delay.