Pre-req question on Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaggybill

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
All med schools have one year of biology as a pre-req, but does this mean specifically Bio I and II, or can it be any biology, such as cell bio, microbiology, etc?

The reason I ask is because my top choice school won't allow pre-reqs from a community college, but I want to take Biology 1 this coming January while I'm doing a semester at a CC.

If any biology suffices as a pre-req, then I can take Bio 1 this coming semester and get other bio "pre-reqs" at a 4 year later on.

Members don't see this ad.

My college condenses both general bio and general chem into one semester each. Our pre-med advisors suggest cell bio to round out the bio requirement and a semester of inorganic chem after the year of orgo (both 200-level courses with labs). As long as you have an upper-level course to replace the second semester with, I would think you're fine!

Members don't see this ad :)
lol i haven't got rejected for only take two bio courses with lab and the intro bio course. i am hoping i wont haha, i mean i would be more than happy to take all the required ones next semester just to get into a med school

lol i haven't got rejected for only take two bio courses with lab and the intro bio course. i am hoping i wont haha, i mean i would be more than happy to take all the required ones next semester just to get into a med school

Youll get in somehwere. How come you applied all MD/PhD? Maybe you would be accepted already if you applied just MD. You could become MD and then PhD.

doesn't matter if you take intro as long as you take upper level and it has lab for about a total of 8 hours.

Youll get in somehwere. How come you applied all MD/PhD? Maybe you would be accepted already if you applied just MD. You could become MD and then PhD.

lol i can't afford a MD just to be frank have to pay it myself, and i wont get any financial aid because my mom is a neurologist. well if that is the only option to me then i will take that route.