Pre-reqs Question.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Decapitare

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello people, so I am a high-school senior and for some time have been really interested in the pharmacist career. Now i know that this is a very competitive matter of studies for us pre-pharms so i have a very important question.
So, about a couple of years past, i took some dual credit classes in the community college. One of them was college algebra. Too say the least, i didn't give a flying---- regarding how i did. The class was super boring and easy and i was a stupid teenager. So i basically skipped every day, in exception to the first. My situation, as it is however requires that i get very good GPA for pharmacy school. So the matter of a F in my college algebra scares me. When looking into my application, will the pharmacy schools also look at the gpa in college algebra? ( i mean it was just a dual credit class) What if i were to retake the class? What should i do? (Can i cancel the grade?) BTW i live in Texas.

Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

I know I got into a problem because I took calculus in high school and choose not to take the AP test. I then took statistics in college instead of calculus (I did not know I wanted to go to pharmacy school at this point) for my math credit at my university. When I tried to enroll in General Chemistry I at a different school during the summer, they claimed I had not taken a college level math (because stat is under STAT not MATH) and I had to CLEP College Algebra. I believe you would not be able to CLEP this because you have taken this class in 'college', so just be careful of stuff like that :p (you could CLEP Calculus still if you did not take the AP test though).

Texas Tech (I believe) is the only school in Texas with grade replacement, so retaking it shouldn't really matter GPA-wise. It's an early mistake. Upward trends and good grades on your higher level sciences are much more important in my opinion. Really one F shouldn't really hurt you. Focus on doing well on the rest of your classes. If that is your only college credit so far you have MORE than enough time to work on your GPA.
Certain schools require you to take a math placement exam or such if your SAT/ACT/STAAR isn't above a certain score which would mean you may have to retake it before they let you enter algebra.
I'm a little confused though. I am assuming you are back on track with your math now/have taken AP/dual credit classes since?

I was always in track with my high school math courses. I just decided to try out a college level algebra for a more rigorous and fun course, as i enjoy math a lot. Turns out college algebra is super easy and so i skipped. I did not need to take the class for high school graduation or as a math credit. Also it does not fall under pre requisite classes, so i dont know. Besides i took it in highschool.
I dont know if im gonna have to take a math placement exam. My sat math score is 680. Besides i dont know if the cc im going to is different from universities. Btw, i plan on going to a pharmacy school without a Bachelors.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is a Texas public school requirement.
"Beginning August 26, 2013, the new Texas Success Initiative (TSI) Assessment was enacted for all Texas public colleges and universities. Any new student who has not earned credit through college course work prior to 8/26/13 or met a state approved exemption is subject to the new TSI Assessment requirement. Previous TSI approved tests (Compass, Accuplacer, THEA, and Asset) are no longer accepted."
https://www.collin.edu/studentresources/testing/availabletesting/tsi.html
  • Student is exempt on the basis of SAT I scores (less than 5 years old) with a minimum qualifying score of 1070 composite, with 500 Critical Reading and 500 Math.
There are other exemptions, but sounds like you should be good on the math part :) So don't worry about one bad grade. That is hardly gonna keep you out of pharmacy school.