Pre-pharmacy applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdkid2419

Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently a Junior in Highschool, the school year is about to be over and I've been going over the schools that I wish to apply to. I have a 3.47/4.56 GPA its not the best but it could be better. So, I want to apply to FSU, UF, and NSU which I know have pharmacy programs and are my top three schools in-state. From what I have gathered I need a Highschool diploma, then a Bachelors's degree (possibly in chemical sciences) and a Doctor of Pharmacy degree.

I was wondering if anyone here has applied to these schools and managed to get accepted. What steps do I need to take before applying, and is there anything missing from what I have to do to become a pharmacist?

Members don't see this ad.

You will have no issue getting accepted. Pharmacy schools are begging for applicants now, eliminating the PCAT and extending application deadlines deep into summer. They can't fill their seats. Pharmacy schools have literally accepted rejects from other programs (dental, physical therapy etc) who did not even apply for pharmacy. Ask yourself why the pharmacy schools are doing this? There are tons of threads here that explain.

Reactions: 4 users
You will have no issue getting accepted. Pharmacy schools are begging for applicants now, eliminating the PCAT and extending application deadlines deep into summer. They can't fill their seats. Pharmacy schools have literally accepted rejects from other programs (dental, physical therapy etc) who did not even apply for pharmacy. Ask yourself why the pharmacy schools are doing this? There are tons of threads here that explain.

You need to be highly selective in choosing a pharmacy school, I wouldn't stress too much about a pre-pharmacy program. The advice I would give however, is go to the school for pre-pharmacy that has the pharmacy school you want to get into also. Your ace in the hole will be getting involved around campus in undergrad, and transforming yourself into a socialite/people person so you can absolutely destroy any interview you walk into. Most of these kids applying to pharmacy school are bots with a 4.0 GPA that will make only halfway decent pharmacists, compared to the kids graduating with 3.0's that can relate to people. - 3rd year pharmacy student at the University of Georgia paying it forward b/c this forum helped me

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Really? Most of my classmates were 2.0-3.0 kids with no clear sense of direction and had never worked in a pharmacy at all.

My suggestion is abandon "pre-pharmacy" as a major since if you make the correct choice and not go you have something to fall back on.

You need to be highly selective in choosing a pharmacy school, I wouldn't stress too much about a pre-pharmacy program. The advice I would give however, is go to the school for pre-pharmacy that has the pharmacy school you want to get into also. Your ace in the hole will be getting involved around campus in undergrad, and transforming yourself into a socialite/people person so you can absolutely destroy any interview you walk into. Most of these kids applying to pharmacy school are bots with a 4.0 GPA that will make only halfway decent pharmacists, compared to the kids graduating with 3.0's that can relate to people. - 3rd year pharmacy student at the University of Georgia paying it forward b/c this forum helped me
Terrible advice. OP will probably change his mind during undergrad and apply to medical school. For medical school, GPA matters and MCAT. OP should strive for a 4.0 and get some clinical exp as a EMT. Pre-pharm and pre-med curriculums are for the most part the same. Never settle for less than your potential, OP.