Prelim year in family medicine possible????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueJasper

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to do a preliminary year in family medicine (as you would in internal medicine)? Or, do programs typically only choose candidates that will be there for 3 years?
If so, are there any programs in Cali?

:):):)

Members don't see this ad.

Is it possible to do a preliminary year in family medicine (as you would in internal medicine)? Or, do programs typically only choose candidates that will be there for 3 years?

As far as I know (I'm no expert in ACGME programs) there's no such thing as a preliminary year in FM either on the ACGME or AOA sides. The AOA used to have a "specialty track" internship in family medicine which was essentially the first year of family medicine but I'm assuming you're not a DO applicant.

Why are you asking? Are you undecided or buying some more time to apply to a competitive residency? A transitional year is probably pretty close to the internship year in family medicine if that's what you're looking for.

Family medicine is an inclusive three-year program. The first year is not an internship or transitional year, it is the first year of a three-year program.

If you come for a year and then leave, it leaves the program in a huge bind, as it now has to find someone to replace you in the second year class in order to staff all the services.

Transitional years are set up to be a one year appointment.

There are people who take FM residencies with the intention of only completing one year. I believe there is a serious karmic price to pay for that and it's really Not Nice.

:)