Preparing for admissions - suggestions welcome!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I'll begin by stating that I will be taking my MCAT sometime in the spring and will indeed be taking the new 2015 exam. In doing so, I am considering what classes to take next semester as well as other community involvements. I'm trying to start to prepare for my application and any suggestions would be welcome!
POTENTIAL CLASSES:
  • Anatomy and Physiology II
  • Anatomy TA position for class credit
  • Cell Biology
  • Organic Chemistry II
  • *Biochemistry
EC's:
  • Anatomy club
  • Chemistry club
  • Premed Society
  • (plus other past clubs with positions)
  • 2 Research positions (one professional & non-academic, the other is academic and under volunteer position as of currently - may be used for class credit eventually)
  • One publication - several presentations (national and regional and more on the way)
  • 100+ hours of shadowing doctors

*Biochemistry - I have not met all of the prerequisites but talking to my advisor, I plan on emailing the professor and asking about attending the class due to the heavy biochem that is apparently in the 2015 MCAT. I have taken a practice 2014 MCAT and did very well but there is also less biochemistry and so I am trying to think ahead. I have my 2015 MCAT guide book from the AAMC on it's way to me at the moment...:)

I am also thinking that I need more of a volunteer background and I am not sure where to go to start getting involved in the community a lot more, plus if I will even have much time set aside (with a full time class schedule and working). Also, my background consists of mainly science-related activities other than the list of odd-end jobs that have supported me up until I got the recent part-time professional research position.

So, any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

For one if your user image is actually you I suggest you change it for the sake of anonymity.

Your plan looks good but you are right. You need volunteering and you need clinical experience beyond shadowing. Try volunteering in a hospital, hospice, nursing home, Planned Parenthood, etc. to kill two birds with one stone.

Reactions: 1 user
^Actually changed my avatar before I checked the update that you replied ;D slightly ahead

And as to volunteering, I agree that killing two birds with one stone would be fantastic! Just finding the time or place to volunteer would be a bit tricky. Where should I go about that?

Members don't see this ad :)
^Actually changed my avatar before I checked the update that you replied ;D slightly ahead

And as to volunteering, I agree that killing two birds with one stone would be fantastic! Just finding the time or place to volunteer would be a bit tricky. Where should I go about that?
Wherever is most convenient for you.
Also, try visiting several admissions websites and reading what they look for in applicants. Talk to your pre-med advisor if you have one. FYI the clubs and pre-med society should include substantial leaderships and service involvment. if you're just showing up as a member, they are not significant unless they reflect a personal passion.

I have involved myself quite extensively in the clubs! I just haven't listed everything here due to spacing. I've held positions as well (secretary and president)
As to advising, I've had issues with my advisor to the point where the dean became involved and had to help me. There should be a new advisor appointed in the next couple of weeks in which I will be placed with :). I have made a list of things to discuss with the advisor and I am quite eager to meet with him or her :)

I have involved myself quite extensively in the clubs! I just haven't listed everything here due to spacing. I've held positions as well (secretary and president)
As to advising, I've had issues with my advisor to the point where the dean became involved and had to help me. There should be a new advisor appointed in the next couple of weeks in which I will be placed with :). I have made a list of things to discuss with the advisor and I am quite eager to meet with him or her :)
You sound very motivated and will likely need very little help from us in order to be successful. I will suggest however that you not get involved with too many clubs/organizations etc. In my experience, ADCOMs are much more interested in seeing you make a significant impact in one role rather then a moderate impact in multiple groups. Pick one that you are very passionate about and get after it.

Reactions: 1 user
Please tell me your initials are not MGJ

They are, why?
It just goes back to anonymity. With your first two initials and your last name as your user name it is very easy for pretty much anyone to identify you. Now the likelihood of this being a problem is relatively low, but on the off chance that an ADCOM comes on here and recognizes your name and the proceeds to read your posts, it could be bad. You really have two options. 1. Be VERY careful of what you post on this site. 2. Get a different username. I suggest option 2.