Preparing for Mohs rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AllDay24

Veteran Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I have my Mohs rotation in a few months. I'm excited but nervous as I'm a first year who's interested in Mohs. Does anyone have any advice for preparing for my rotation? My focus will likely be head and neck anatomy, while also reading the surgical chapters in Bologna, and filling in gaps on other things (Mohs AUC, dermpath for BCC/SCC/etc). Would greatly appreciate any resources as well, especially for anatomy!

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

You're way over thinking it. Just be a good resident and you will be fine. The stuff you mentioned is useful and it's material you should be learning anyway in residency no matter what your ultimate goal is.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all!

I have my Mohs rotation in a few months. I'm excited but nervous as I'm a first year who's interested in Mohs. Does anyone have any advice for preparing for my rotation? My focus will likely be head and neck anatomy, while also reading the surgical chapters in Bologna, and filling in gaps on other things (Mohs AUC, dermpath for BCC/SCC/etc). Would greatly appreciate any resources as well, especially for anatomy!

Thanks for your help!

I would ask your senior residents as well what is expected of you during the Mohs rotation. We had a notoriously "difficult" Mohs surgeon at our program and the senior residents did a good job of preparing the first years for what is expected of them.

For most places (especially if you have a fellow), it can be a mostly observational experience as a first year (Got to do plenty of repairs as time progressed but I don't recall taking Mohs layers until my 3rd year)

Brushing up on anatomy is always a solid idea, knowing the AUC criteria (I believe there is an app for it) is good too

i'm a mohs surgeon. i would suggest you read about and learn the technique of mohs so you get past some of the basics. read an intro chapter on surgery techniques and flaps. maybe read the intro to a derm surg textbook