Primary care interest + HPSP recipient= increased chances of admission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO_hopeful48

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've wondered about this for some time now, and have not seen anyone else broach this topic. I have seen that on some secondaries they ask you if you are doing milmed, or if you are interested in doing primary care. Does marking yes to either one of these increase your chances of admission? Thanks!

P.S.(Yes I'm actually interested in primary care/rural medicine, and no I'm not doing HPSP for looks, and yes I'm sure this is what I want)

Members don't see this ad.

Don't you need an acceptance from med school first before even being offered the hpsp reward?

Hey guys, I've wondered about this for some time now, and have not seen anyone else broach this topic. I have seen that on some secondaries they ask you if you are doing milmed, or if you are interested in doing primary care. Does marking yes to either one of these increase your chances of admission? Thanks!

P.S.(Yes I'm actually interested in primary care/rural medicine, and no I'm not doing HPSP for looks, and yes I'm sure this is what I want)

I don’t think HPSP would matter in the scheme of things but wanting to practice milmed could help you get into USUHS. if you want to practice primary care and have a motivation to do so then you should write about it in your secondaries. If you can’t sell it then it won’t help you get in, but I don’t think wanting primary care would increase your chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't you need an acceptance from med school first before even being offered the hpsp reward?

For Air Force, you can be offered the award before an acceptance. I think I was offered one before a LOA because I was Matrix-qualified. For Navy & Army I think you have to have a LOA first.

Interest in primary care definitely helps for sure. DO philosophy goes hand in hand with increasing primary care across the U.S. As for milmed, I don't know if it helps directly to the application, but my interviewers' eyes would light up at the mention of being a HPSP applicant/recipient.

For Air Force, you can be offered the award before an acceptance. I think I was offered one before a LOA because I was Matrix-qualified. For Navy & Army I think you have to have a LOA first.
Did not know this! Thanks for the clarification