Programs sending out "rank to match" emails

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PaleAle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that interview season is basically over, I thought it might be good to start a thread on which programs are sending out emails stating that an applicant is "ranked to match" or likely to match if they choose, etc. So let's hear it!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
wouldnt a rank to match email or letter from the program be against the nrmp rules?

No - you can volunteer that information if you want to and they can tell you if they want to but neither party can request that information from the other. I would think that programs would call rather than send emails.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Some friends of mine (in other non-IM fields) have received emails from PDs saying something like "We believe you will match at our program should you want to", although they never explicitly offer (or guarantee) a spot. I know that in years past, IM applicants HAVE gotten emails/calls to this effect, although it might be a little early yet since not all places are done interviewing.

I received one last weekend--from my home program. I am keeping my fingers crossed about the rest!

I heard from one of the chiefs where I was interviewing at that not all places send out rank to match letters. Also, of those that do do it, majrity of them send out emails to people about 1-2 weeks (closer to 1) BEFORE they have their rank party and submit their ROLs.

Reactions: 1 user
i've only heard "rank to match" from 1/10...I doubt that that's the only program ranking me to match because most of the other 9 are much less competitive to get into...i think this reassures me about not hearing the magic words from the other 9.

"I heard from one of the chiefs where I was interviewing at that not all places send out rank to match letters. Also, of those that do do it, majrity of them send out emails to people about 1-2 weeks (closer to 1) BEFORE they have their rank party and submit their ROLs."

Before? Does this mean that they aren't really sure they will be ranking you to match, but still telling you they are? That seems somewhat dishonest. I imagine some programs do that, but the majority? What would be the point of a program sending an email that states unequivocally that you would match there if in fact you won't?

I got a sort of rank to match email from one of my programs recently that explicitly said they had NOT had their match party yet, but they thought I would likely match there if I ranked them high enough. Maybe applicants don't really have that much mobility on a program's ROL and the interview is sort of a rubberstamp unless something really bad happens, like puking on the PD during your interview. Ah who the hell knows anymore. I'm tired of thinking about it, I just want to be matched like the ophtho kids already!

The way the system works, even if the PD comes to your house with a box of chocolates and a dozen roses before March 16th, you still are not guaranteed to match with that program.

U of Michigan sent me a letter to the effect that they beleive I would be a "good match" for their program, but I don't know if they send that to most people or not. I have gotten emails from interviewers at other places saying they would recommend me, but no formal letters.

ucla2usc said:
i've only heard "rank to match" from 1/10...I doubt that that's the only program ranking me to match because most of the other 9 are much less competitive to get into...i think this reassures me about not hearing the magic words from the other 9.
i'm at 3/10 "ranked to match"...anyone else have a similar response. I thought I would have heard from more programs by now. When do they submit their list?

ucla2usc said:
i'm at 3/10 "ranked to match"...anyone else have a similar response. I thought I would have heard from more programs by now. When do they submit their list?
Same here about 4/11; terms ranged from "ranked to match" to "I look forward to working with you next year". Some were handwritten letters, others were emails or phone calls. Not sure when rank lists are submitted though.

Received 2/7 calls/emails that I was in "very top group" and "ranked to match". Very happy with the places that contacted me thus far, so I guess I shouldn't worry about the others...but I am still curious. ;)

Anyone contacted by any of the southeastern programs (Vandy, Duke, UNC, Emory, UAB, UVA) or northeastern ones (NYU, Columbia, BID)?

Anyone contacted by any of the southeastern programs (Vandy, Duke, UNC, Emory, UAB, UVA) or northeastern ones (NYU, Columbia, BID, Georgetown, Maryland)?

RastaMan said:
Anyone contacted by any of the southeastern programs (Vandy, Duke, UNC, Emory, UAB, UVA) or northeastern ones (NYU, Columbia, BID, Georgetown, Maryland)?
UVA

dukeblue01 said:
Received 2/7 calls/emails that I was in "very top group" and "ranked to match". Very happy with the places that contacted me thus far, so I guess I shouldn't worry about the others...but I am still curious. ;)

I must agree, 2 of my 3 are pretty sweet for me. I'm still waiting on two more to complete my top 4. This is all for ego at this point.

Anyone heard anything from MGH or BWH yet?