Progress Thread for 2016 Applicants (ie. Entering 2017)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orangeblue

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that there is a progress thread for applicants applying in 2015/Entering 2016, but the year before we apply to med school is most critical too.

I wanted to have a thread to support and for us to get together and keep each other updates, and encouraged.
I'm a full-time teacher and in the progress of getting my resume, etc together to apply May 2016.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Will hold a spot here for now.
Whether I apply next year depends on how I do on the MCAT, which I have yet to sign up for :confused:

Reactions: 1 user
Great idea, guys, and good luck.

As someone who's just been through it and looking forward to starting medical school next year, my memory of the ordeal is painfully fresh, lol. Happy to offer help/cheerleading/nuggets of wisdom/technical support as you go along.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I see. Wishing you all the best. Happy to share any info on the MCAT if you need anything.

I took a one month break after my MCAT of doing nothing (except my job).

The list of things I have to do is painful and long. I'm afraid what will hurdles I'll face here such as re-contacting people for LORs, facing my resume and feeling inadequate, etc. @Eccesignum, your input appreciated here. The daunting list ..

1) Update my resume - Basically, I avoided doing this because I felt too ashamed/sad/low-self-esteem
2) Start writing narrative and personal story.
3) Go through the difficult beaucratic process of requesting transcripts from the uni's and colleges
4) Bite the bullet and make a culmative science GPA (isn't there an online resource)?
5)**Approach and re-establish contact after 2-4 years with a few profs to ask for LORs . Including a prof I worked in the lab with but didn't do very good.
6)**Get a relevent clinical opportunity that I enjoy and can show / talk during med school application process.
7) Make a list of schools to apply for, research them and application deadlines.

I see. Wishing you all the best. Happy to share any info on the MCAT if you need anything.

I took a one month break after my MCAT of doing nothing (except my job).

The list of things I have to do is painful and long. I'm afraid what will hurdles I'll face here such as re-contacting people for LORs, facing my resume and feeling inadequate, etc. @Eccesignum, your input appreciated here. The daunting list ..

1) Update my resume - Basically, I avoided doing this because I felt too ashamed/sad/low-self-esteem
2) Start writing narrative and personal story.
3) Go through the difficult beaucratic process of requesting transcripts from the uni's and colleges
4) Bite the bullet and make a culmative science GPA (isn't there an online resource)?
5)**Approach and re-establish contact after 2-4 years with a few profs to ask for LORs . Including a prof I worked in the lab with but didn't do very good.
6)**Get a relevent clinical opportunity that I enjoy and can show / talk during med school application process.
7) Make a list of schools to apply for, research them and application deadlines.

1) I'm not too sure why you're updating your resume (besides the fact that it's good to do). I ran into two DO schools that asked for resumes but nowhere else did (doesn't mean they're not out there, but I didn't encounter them). The main thing is starting to think about your list of ECs and how you're going to weave them into a coherent story of you. ECs include jobs, volunteering, clinical experience, shadowing, etc. You get a small area to write about them and what you learned from them (if I remember right it was 600-ish characters per EC, with 1500 for your three "most meaningful" on AMCAS; AACOMAS has no most meaningfuls).

2) Good to be thinking about. The PS can be tough and believe me it'll go through many many drafts (mine went through nine).

3) It shouldn't be tooooo hard. Most universities will have transcript instructions on their registrar page, or just call them. I recommend getting a copy for yourself before apps start so that you have it when it comes time to input your classes. AMCAS and/or AACOMAS will need their own copies straight from the schools. When AMCAS and AACOMAS open up in May-ish they will ask you for your list of institutions and for each one will generate a request form so that the uni can send the transcript with a bar code so it doesn't get lost.

4) Search for GPA calculator. There are a few on site. If you can't find one I have one in my dropbox; PM me.

5) Yep!

6) Clinical experience is extremely important. Also shadowing, if you haven't done that yet.

7) MSAR is invaluable for MD. DO unfortunately doesn't have a comprehensive list like this and takes a little more legwork, but you have time to do your homework.

Good luck to everyone who is preparing for applications next year! Be disciplined and focused -- eyes on the prize is what will get you into med school and through med school too. I faced a lot of pressure from people to relax, to take more time off, and frankly, I'm glad I didn't. My MCAT score opened a lot of doors and it was worth the effort.

Also @orangeblue regarding LORs: I'd recommend getting at least two science professor LORs and one non-science at very least. Many many schools asked for this combo. Most things further that you can get (PIs, volunteer supervisors, etc) are good icing and will be good at places that don't limit your letters. If you're planning on applying DO you'll want to get your hands on a recc from a DO.

Also @orangeblue regarding LORs: I'd recommend getting at least two science professor LORs and one non-science at very least. If you're planning on applying DO you'll want to get your hands on a recc from a DO.

Thank you. Yes I know I have to get those letters. But as non trad, who has been out of school, I have some hesitation/shyness/incompetency feelings about contacting my professors after a 2 years or more. But that's just a little blimp - I'm certain that they will be OK to hear from me , just trying to overcome my own mental limitations

@orangeblue People here on SDN also said that some schools will allow you to submit a LOR from a work/volunteer supervisor instead of a non-science faculty. Big relief for me because I don't think any of my non-science professors from college would remember me.

I'm also applying for this cycle! My biggest obstacle right now is finding a clinical volunteering opportunity :( I've applied to 4 different hospitals to be a volunteer , but I haven't gotten any responses and it's been 1-2 months. I'm sure having a full-time job and limits on the times I can volunteer really sets me back, plus it doesn't help that I live in a city with a ton of colleges and tons of pre-med kids with more flexible schedules than me. I just really want to get this started already! I don't it to get to June next year and only have 3 months worth of post-college clinical volunteering :unsure:

@orangeblue People here on SDN also said that some schools will allow you to submit a LOR from a work/volunteer supervisor instead of a non-science faculty. Big relief for me because I don't think any of my non-science professors from college would remember me.

I'm also applying for this cycle! My biggest obstacle right now is finding a clinical volunteering opportunity :( I've applied to 4 different hospitals to be a volunteer , but I haven't gotten any responses and it's been 1-2 months. I'm sure having a full-time job and limits on the times I can volunteer really sets me back, plus it doesn't help that I live in a city with a ton of colleges and tons of pre-med kids with more flexible schedules than me. I just really want to get this started already! I don't it to get to June next year and only have 3 months worth of post-college clinical volunteering :unsure:

If you don't have a letter that a school requires definitely call them when it gets closer to app time. I found several schools that had requirements I couldn't meet but once I called and explained they were fine with it.

As for clinical, it doesn't have to be a hospital. Do you have a local Hospice organization? Any foundations for sick children? Substance abuse recovery facilities?

1. Take MCAT
2. Wait for AMCAS to open applications mid-May
3. Retype AMCAS app from this year
4. Hit up LORs (who already know to resubmit)
5. Pray
6. Cheer
7. Move to DC (yes - for real - D.C. here I come!)

Yay, so glad you created this thread!!

This year my goals (other than working in my non-medicine job and continuing my current volunteering gigs) are as follows:

1. Bump up my shadowing hours - I've only been able to get about 4-5 hours at a time so I only have about 25 hours. Would like to increase this to at least 50.

2. Find some type of research opportunity for 1-2x/week

3. Figure out a school list of where I want to apply

4. Pre-write as much of my application as possible (including secondaries)

5. Possibly get started on a very special project that will require lots of dedication and jumping through hoops but that I think will be incredibly fulfilling (and also has the possibility of really helping my application to boot!)- not sure if I'll manage to get this off the ground though this year

@Eccesignum Hospice volunteering is next on my list for sure. I've just been hesitant because I've been asking for so many references and I don't want to bother my letter writers too much. I've been seriously considering geriatric/palliative medicine too as a field I want to be in so hospice care volunteering would be very beneficial.

@Ad2b DC is a fun place! Well I dunno what it'd be like to live there but I've definitely enjoyed the handful of times I've visited my friends in the city!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@Gibbward - we love it there!!! Having lived in a thriving, biggish type city it was hard to move to the slower paced SE. I'm applying for positions there, or consulting roles that would allow me to fly out of Reagan or Dulles; we'd prefer DC proper but love the entire area... could even bring the horse! ...

:smack: - sorry, you got me all excited and smiling!!! didn't mean to ramble :)

This is a great idea. I'm planning to apply May/June 2016.

Taking the MCAT Jan 2016.

Working full time in research. Which is making it difficult to study but I have to get it done.

I have most of my LORs in order because initially I was planning to apply this year. Change of plans though.

Right now I'm trying to get over the MCAT hurdle.

Last edited:
Checking in! Taking the MCAT April 1st. Studying while working on my PhD and doing some community volunteer work. Haven't had any clinical experience in over 3 years, so I should probably quit sleeping and get on that.

Hello everyone! Non-trad applying next cycle as well. Finishing up my last full semester of post-bacc classes this fall, taking Cell Bio in the spring while studying for MCAT, which I'm signed up for April 23!

Have asked for 3 letters from professors, will ask for another 2 at the end of this semester, from the professor I TA for (Genetics) and my pre-med advisor. Am currently volunteering in a local ED, and have only done about 16 shadowing hours. Would like to add more to that before application time...

I also don't have any research experience. I'm kind of nervous about that, but wise people have told me its not as important for non-trads, especially since I'm not trying to go to a research heavy institution.

Yup don't worry about doing any research if you don't want to! It's not essential for traditional applicants either unless you're really gunning for a research school or you're a neurotic SDNer.

Hello everyone! Non-trad applying next cycle as well. Finishing up my last full semester of post-bacc classes this fall, taking Cell Bio in the spring while studying for MCAT, which I'm signed up for April 23!

Have asked for 3 letters from professors, will ask for another 2 at the end of this semester, from the professor I TA for (Genetics) and my pre-med advisor. Am currently volunteering in a local ED, and have only done about 16 shadowing hours. Would like to add more to that before application time...

I also don't have any research experience. I'm kind of nervous about that, but wise people have told me its not as important for non-trads, especially since I'm not trying to go to a research heavy institution.

Woot, I'm glad OP make this thread. I'm in the same boat as well. Here's my plan:

1/ Find the opportunity to shadow more doctors. In the up coming weeks, I'll push for it. :( hard to find the time when your schedule's jam packed.

2/ I notified my LOR writes already. They promised me march/april (only need 2 for sciences)

3/ Currently writing PS and have people taking a look

4/ Continue volunteering and taking classes.

5/ I don't know anything about applying and verified process. Need to learn a bit. Can I start putting my info now or do I have to wait ?

6/ Need to prewrite my secondary essay

Woot, I'm glad OP make this thread. I'm in the same boat as well. Here's my plan:

1/ Find the opportunity to shadow more doctors. In the up coming weeks, I'll push for it. :( hard to find the time when your schedule's jam packed.

2/ I notified my LOR writes already. They promised me march/april (only need 2 for sciences)

3/ Currently writing PS and have people taking a look

4/ Continue volunteering and taking classes.

5/ I don't know anything about applying and verified process. Need to learn a bit. Can I start putting my info now or do I have to wait ?

6/ Need to prewrite my secondary essay

On 2 - Use Interfolio if you can spare the change, especially if applying both MD and DO. It'll save you so much time, I promise.

On 3 - Try to make sure at least one person reading has been through the process. So many people on the "outside" will read your PS without knowing what the purpose of a PS is, then you go through heartache when someone more in the know rips it apart and tells you to start over, lol.

On 5 - You cannot submit for verification until the summer (AACOMAS in 2015 was sometime in May, AMCAS was June 2nd). They will both open about a month beforehand, at which point you can start to input your classes, input your EC explanations, make sure your transcripts arrive, etc, but you can't submit for verification immediately.

I'm done with the current cycle (accepted, now impatient for August to come!) but I will give my own LOR breakdown to help the other non-trads decide. My premed advisor said this was a very representative packet and would satisfy the needs of all but 1 school (which asked for an additional letter from my non-science master's program).

Pre-health packet composed of:
- letter from pre-health advisor in my post-bacc who compiled the packet and wrote a "summary letter" reflecting all the letters in the packet
- letter from organic chem prof (I took her for part 1 and part 2, great grades, got to know her well)
- letter from gen chem prof for whom I was a lab TA
- letter from MD with whom I worked in ER
- letter from my "Manager of Teacher Leadership Development" from when I was a teacher with Teach for America (she knew me professionally for 2 years)

Ask early and remind often!

ETA: I signed the AMCAS waiver to see the letters and submitted it to each letter writer, who then forwarded their own letter with my form to my pre-med advisor. She uploaded the entire packet to AMCAS and it was verified in the system by June 16th - every school had the letters when they sent me the secondaries and it was a huge time saver to do it this way.

Great job, guys. So motivating to see all of you'll on the ball.
I didn't check this thread for 2 weeks but so happy to see so many replies.

We are all on the same boat. I took the MCAT already, scored and done. I was too nervous to take the Spring/Summer MCAT and apply the very same summer. I wanted to get the MCAT done by Sept and apply in 8-9 months. I'm exactly where I wanted to be after struggling and having the MCAT on my list for over 2-3 years.

However, after my MCAT was done, I have lost motivation even though I achieved my target score. I feel a bit depressed honestly. Medical school seems so far away and this application process is scaring me.

1) Finally went to Starbucks on Sunday today and submitted a volunteer hospital application..
2) Making a list of clinics to contact
3) Kind of annoyed that I have to pay $50 (+ including interest ate charges) in some stupid from the university that I didn't see before. However I need those transcripts., so no biggie.

Big country and all, but if by chance anyone is in the Norfolk/Newport News/Tappahannock/Gloucester/Williamsburg regions of Virginia and is looking for hospital-based shadowing, I have contacts. Just toss me a PM.

Hey everyone, I'm pushing to apply next year as well. Signed up for May MCAT, finishing my prereqs, starting to pull app things together here and there. Like others, need much more clinical exposure, but I've been hitting a lot of walls lately. Going to really kick those efforts into gear the next few weeks. I'm a low GPAer and I think I'll be doing an SMP during my app year too, so I need to figure that out.

Finally submitted by application to one of the clinics for volunteer. Next step will be the super boring "interview" and orientation, that I feel like I have been to many times already.

Somehow still need to find time to continue writing those essays (after work, after dinner, exercise, clean up,etc) and also need to send my LORs an intro email by next week or earlier.

@orangeblue how long did you have to wait to get your interviews/orientation for volunteering? I've probably contacted/applied for volunteering at 12 different places (hospitals, hospice, nursing homes, day care/therapy centers) since September and still nothing. I'm getting kinda desperate here because I don't want it to be February and I'm only starting up my clinical volunteering :/

@HopefulPilot I'm a little nervous for LORS too. I'm trying to decide whether to take a random non-science class so I can get a non-science professor LOR, though I know some schools will let you substitute that with a letter from a work supervisor.

Finally heard back from a place for some semi-clinical volunteering! Going to volunteer at a nursing/retirement home and I'm hopefully going to help out with caring for people with alzheimer's/dementia! So excited, especially because I'm seriously considering going into geriatrics :) Also, looking into becoming a suicide hotline support volunteer. I'm attending the orientation and see how that goes. It sounds like such an intense volunteering position, but you also have such an immense impact on the health and well-being of another person.

well It is finally time for me to apply.. Here is the run down of what i have.

1. Meh undergrad GPA( i was a single parent in undergrad.. super single) but i was very active
2. MCAT scheduled for April.
3. Masters in the sciences.- I TA'd with them and and won a scholarship for excellence. 2 letters are coming from there
4. Second Masters in Pharmacology- My third letter is coming from here.
5. NIH Cancer grant recipient
4 Shadowed Drs during first masters
5. lots of research experience and a publication( woo hoo)
6. i work in a clinical lab now cytogenetics handling and aiding in patient diagnosis and certified in cytogenetics( I kinda fell into that)..
7. I tutor high school students in math and science( i get paid for this lol)

I think what i have to do is overcome my undergrad. I graduated from undergrad 8 years ago by the time I applied . I had a rough time, I was a young single parent dealing with various serious illness with a child ( epilepsy that is now under control and a strange occurence of thromocytopenia) alone... I dont think it is worth it so much to try to raise my Undergrad GPA beause i would spend 5 years doing that and i would like to start medical school when my son starts high school next. I am hoping to do really well on the MCAT since I have a strong biology background which will help. I hope my current position would help me into an MD or DO school. either is fine for me. Im interested in internal medicine with a long term goal of working in critical care or oncology which definitely will require a fellowship after residency.

I'll jump on this thread, too. Glad to have support entering the application cycle in the spring. I think I've got everything lined up and ready to go right now....but I know reading this thread will likely get me thinking about what else needs to be done. Nice to meet another teacher, @orangeblue!

Hey guys! I'll be applying MD/DO in 2016. I'm a former CS major coming from a lower gpa but have done well in my post-bacc so far. My MCAT is done (don't have to retake, thankfully) and I'm taking some upper level bio courses and a few retakes for AACOMAS grade replacement. I'm going to keep up my two volunteer gigs (one clinical, one nonclinical) and try to get some more shadowing in. I don't have a DO letter yet, but it's high on my to-do list.

I have a spreadsheet to track my EC's, and I'll be writing my PS over Christmas break. I have one LOR requested (not turned in to interfolio yet tho...) and will be requesting the others before Christmas.

Good luck to everyone!

What's the progress so far?

1. Got an approval from one letter science prof.
2. Submitted volunteer app + immunization records for the clinic - need to follow up asap with those buggers :oops:)
3. Need to think about who the other letter writers will be and talk about approaching them.
4. Need to pay $50 in late fees and get my transcripts in order.
5. Refine personal statement after school - asap before I go on my winter trip.
6. Do a EC grid - im afraid it may be mainly blank, Oh well.

I've got my letter writers set up. A few months ago that seemed like one of the most intimidating parts of the process, and now that it is done, I don't know what I was so worried about.

I've got my letter writers set up. A few months ago that seemed like one of the most intimidating parts of the process, and now that it is done, I don't know what I was so worried about.

^^ this! I'm in the same boat. All letter-writers have been asked and are in progress. Whew! Now, about that MCAT....

As of yesterday, prereq's are complete! Onward to the MCAT!

I haven't reached out yet with the specific instructions, so I can't say this has been successful (at least until acceptance I guess :p).
In the back of my mind, I always thought I might want to go back to school, and therefore need a LOR at some point. I kept in touch with my research professor for the last ~10 years. An email here and there, and I've visited him 2-3 times over the years when I had chances to visit campus. It still feels awkward at times because of the ulterior motive, but I also do genuinely want to follow up on the research I did way back even though it has nothing to do with my career. He also seems genuinely interested in how I am doing and wanted to kept in touch.

I guess, after all my rambling, the advice is just to reach out with a quick email. If you can get back on campus, even better.
Did any of you reach out to old professors (5+ years?). Wondering what the best method is.

Figured I'd join in since I am a non-traditional applicant applying this cycle:

List of things to do/have done:

1. I just scheduled to re-take the MCAT on April 23 (will begin studying within the next week)
2. I have to complete my thesis for my Master's degree by early March in order to graduate
3. I have shadowed a couple of doctors and volunteered about 100 hours at a hospital this past year
4. I have done well in my graduate program so hopefully this makes up for my undergrad GPA
5. I am currently in the process of requesting new letters of recommendation. I just have to email professors to keep them in the loop. My professors from undergrad who wrote me letters I have them saved in a reference file from my undergrad.
6. I have written a first draft of my personal statement. I am waiting on comments before I continue writing further drafts. I have a meeting with my old pre-health advisor from undergrad to discuss my personal statement.
7. I have an updated CV, now I just need to figure out how I will write my activities section

I was curious, how do you all notify letter writers? I know who my letter writers are, but I have not given them any due dates or anything? Is there a better way to go about keeping communication with letter writers?

All the best to everyone!

1. I have scheduled to take the MCAT in April so have A LOT of studying ahead (EEK)
2. I will begin Hospice volunteering in January
3. Need to work on establishing some shadowing opportunities - I currently work as an ER scribe so I'd blown off shadowing, but now feel like shadowing in a different discipline than ER might be valuable
4. Need to get in touch with/request letters from recommenders
5. Need to work on my personal statement

I just finished my last post-bac course and while my UG GPA was kind of eh and my UG BCPM GPA wasn't so good (only took a few classes, but mostly B's), my post-bac GPA was good so hopefully that'll make up for it.

A few questions for all of you:
-On recommenders: I have been told 2 science profs, 1 non-science prof and 1-3 others, but I've also heard that you can substitute an additional clinical letter for the non-science prof letter, especially if you're a non-trad. I am wondering whether anyone has a sense of whether one option is preferable to the other? I do have an old English prof from UG (3-4 years ago) that I could ask, but there is a doctor I work with in the ER who has already offered to write me a letter. I already have another letter from a different doc, but I was thinking of using two to discuss different aspects of my work and my background. Anyone have advice on whether the second doc vs. the old English prof would be preferable for a recommender?
-On personal statements: Do you think it's necessary to make the decision to career shift the focus of your personal statement, or do you think it just needs to be addressed? Does anyone have a good resource for examples of successful non-trad personal statements?

Thanks everyone! Great thread!

What's the progress so far?

1. Have three LORs from science professors
2. 2000+ hours volunteering for various organizations (over the span of 25 years, mind you; inner city kids, homeless, horse rescue/rehab, ARC, ped onc, foreign countries)
3. Shadowing = 100+ hours, need more; asking ID onc doc to start coming back 1x per month and round with him
4. Need to reorder transcripts (I'm not technically a reapp though I did submit for verification for 2015 cycle :( will be reapp at one school if I apply there)
5. PS is written
6. Unless prompts change, have saved .pdf of my AMCAS app for 2015
7. Take MCAT :O
8. Debating on taking cell bio this spring or just letting my A- in genetics be my last grade on first page of grades of AMCAS app...
9. Take a breath...

@Miami_Postbac --- pfft at 30s ... I'm 51. :)

Oh man I didn't realize I needed to start contacting profs for LOR already... Granted, I know my old grad school mentor/PI knows he'll be writing me one, and I've mentioned this to my old undergrad mentor towards the middle of the year. I'm probably also going to get a LOR from the post doc that I work for in my current lab (employment recommendation, no one in my lab trusts the PI for a LOR because she's kind of crazy...). Should I email my professor that taught 2 of my grad school coureses and 2 seminars now? Hopefully, 4 letters would be good enough. We'll see about a 5th letter from one of my volunteering gigs, but I probably can't get one of those until later in the spring just coz I only recently started with them.

Also, I really need to find doctors to shadow... I really feel the 40-50 hours I did during undergrad is just lacking. Plus, it was from 3.5 years ago :(

I started working on my LOR writers in January of this year ... well, working is over-stating it. I asked them if they would; all said yes. One asked why it took me so long :D

Start now that way you're not scrambling later... they can always submit to interfolio now

Oh man I didn't realize I needed to start contacting profs for LOR already... Granted, I know my old grad school mentor/PI knows he'll be writing me one, and I've mentioned this to my old undergrad mentor towards the middle of the year. I'm probably also going to get a LOR from the post doc that I work for in my current lab (employment recommendation, no one in my lab trusts the PI for a LOR because she's kind of crazy...). Should I email my professor that taught 2 of my grad school coureses and 2 seminars now? Hopefully, 4 letters would be good enough. We'll see about a 5th letter from one of my volunteering gigs, but I probably can't get one of those until later in the spring just coz I only recently started with them.

Also, I really need to find doctors to shadow... I really feel the 40-50 hours I did during undergrad is just lacking. Plus, it was from 3.5 years ago :(

4 LOR should be enough. Since you aren't using a pre-med committee letter, just be sure to check your schools to see if they have specific requirements. Some want 3 letters, others 4 or 5. And I think alot want a couple science and one non-science letter.

40-50 hours is plenty, as long as you've been doing some other clinically related things since then. If not, then yeah you probably want to show that ongoing interest :)

-On personal statements: Do you think it's necessary to make the decision to career shift the focus of your personal statement, or do you think it just needs to be addressed? Does anyone have a good resource for examples of successful non-trad personal statements?

Yes I would definitely make that the focus (just my 2 cents). I think for non-trads, it's important to demonstrate why you are making this change and to discuss what it is about medicine that you think makes it a better fit than your old/current career.

You are welcome to read mine if you want, but as someone who has not yet been accepted (lots of interviews though, fingers still crossed!), take it with a grain of salt :rofl:

I was curious, how do you all notify letter writers? I know who my letter writers are, but I have not given them any due dates or anything? Is there a better way to go about keeping communication with letter writers?

All the best to everyone!

I used Interfolio, which has the option of selecting a due date that'll be seen in the email it sends your writers. Then I'd periodically send emails out with all my letter writers on BCC saying 'Hey, how's it going, just wanted to remind you that I'd like to get my letters together by X date, etc etc'

-On recommenders: I have been told 2 science profs, 1 non-science prof and 1-3 others, but I've also heard that you can substitute an additional clinical letter for the non-science prof letter, especially if you're a non-trad. I am wondering whether anyone has a sense of whether one option is preferable to the other? I do have an old English prof from UG (3-4 years ago) that I could ask, but there is a doctor I work with in the ER who has already offered to write me a letter. I already have another letter from a different doc, but I was thinking of using two to discuss different aspects of my work and my background. Anyone have advice on whether the second doc vs. the old English prof would be preferable for a recommender?

Thanks everyone! Great thread!

Schools have different requirements for rec letters and will be specific. At a school that says two science, one non-science (which is many many), you'd need one from that English prof if you don't have another humanities prof available. Some schools though will let you send extra letters, and one from work is perfectly acceptable. Show your letter writers this document https://www.aamc.org/download/349990/data/lettersguidelinesbrochure.pdf so they have an idea of what qualities AAMC recommends discussing.

As for PS's, the point of the essay is 'Why medicine?', and for non-trads it's also 'Why now?'. I think career shifting is important to talk about since it's usually vital to fleshing out that explanation. Like @Okazaki Frag Grenade , I'm also open to letting anyone read mine that likes, as mine addressed a career shift.

4 LOR should be enough. Since you aren't using a pre-med committee letter, just be sure to check your schools to see if they have specific requirements. Some want 3 letters, others 4 or 5. And I think alot want a couple science and one non-science letter.

40-50 hours is plenty, as long as you've been doing some other clinically related things since then. If not, then yeah you probably want to show that ongoing interest :)

Thanks! I've started screening out schools based on LOR requirements. Though I know some schools will let the non-science professor LOR slide if you're a non-trad, but I'm not willing to take any chances. And thankfully I have some activities with clinical exposure going on so I know I shouldn't worry too much, but I figured a few more shadowing hours would fill-up a few possible holes in my apps. Plus, it would be really interesting to shadow a doctor that wasn't in an outpatient setting!

Schools have different requirements for rec letters and will be specific. At a school that says two science, one non-science (which is many many), you'd need one from that English prof if you don't have another humanities prof available. Some schools though will let you send extra letters, and one from work is perfectly acceptable. Show your letter writers this document https://www.aamc.org/download/349990/data/lettersguidelinesbrochure.pdf so they have an idea of what qualities AAMC recommends discussing.

As for PS's, the point of the essay is 'Why medicine?', and for non-trads it's also 'Why now?'. I think career shifting is important to talk about since it's usually vital to fleshing out that explanation. Like @Okazaki Frag Grenade , I'm also open to letting anyone read mine that likes, as mine addressed a career shift.

Any chance I could read yours? I'm drafting my PS now and it's hard to tell how much detail I need to go into.