Pros and Cons of your DO School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
nvshelat vbmenu_register("postmenu_5231876", true); ,

I graduated NYCOM in '90 (ok I'm old LOL)

do you mean they split the class up now into two ways of learning?

be happy you are there now it's more humane..back in the day..don't know if you heard the stories of OLA and the weekly exams in all subjects.

Once a student of the class of '88 went to the dean and complained something on an exam wasn't even covered in the course and was told that he was responsible for everything in the library on every exam.

I have to say one thing, we were prepared on all our clinical rotations which was the point. By the time we got to clinicals, we were so tortured, rotations were a walk in the park.
from what i understand now life is much better, they record classes so you can re-watch them?
there is an actual cafeteria on campus?

Anyway I did my residency at Albert Einstein, friends of mine went to Yale and Sinai, No Worries about Matching and that was way back THEN.

Members don't see this ad.

nvshelat vbmenu_register("postmenu_5231876", true); ,

I graduated NYCOM in '90 (ok I'm old LOL)

do you mean they split the class up now into two ways of learning?

be happy you are there now it's more humane..back in the day..don't know if you heard the stories of OLA and the weekly exams in all subjects.

Once a student of the class of '88 went to the dean and complained something on an exam wasn't even covered in the course and was told that he was responsible for everything in the library on every exam.

I have to say one thing, we were prepared on all our clinical rotations which was the point. By the time we got to clinicals, we were so tortured, rotations were a walk in the park.
from what i understand now life is much better, they record classes so you can re-watch them?
there is an actual cafeteria on campus?

Anyway I did my residency at Albert Einstein, friends of mine went to Yale and Sinai, No Worries about Matching and that was way back THEN.

psydoc18 , what is your speciality?:) Psychiatry?

Curriculum:Will be different for you. Ours was very intese, but what Med School isn't. For me it was nice it never let me get lazy it always kept me going and very close to on track. The structure it so that you really learn it although you don't feel like it.

Location: Great location suburbs are a little boring but you have a great escape just 20 min away when you have the time. It is always fun to be able to go downtown to a place like wrigleyville and watch a game or just let loose.

Cost: Yeah it is expensive but as others have said you can and will pay it off.

Faculty: Like all schools there are the good the bad and of course the ugly. Also my opinion will not be the same as others. All I can say is that I thought all the professors wanted to to teach and really enjoyed teaching us. Also they were very open and wanted to hear what people were saying about there classes and the exams.

Reputation: In the Chicagoland area and the Midwest CCOM has a very long and great history and the Docs and the rotation sites aklways talk well about the school and the students.

Clinical Rotations: All I have to dsay is that you get to rotate in the city of Chicago at a multitude of different sites. the patient population that you will see is vey large and very diverse.

Housing: Pricy when you come from areas like I did. Overall though 750 to a 1000 depending on what you are looking for.

Study areas: Alot seeing that the school is in a former college campus there is the library, the 24 hr room, Commons and othe r study rooms and meeting rooms. As for me I change it up and go to different place like coffee shops in downtown downers grove, and oakbrook terrace. Nedless to say there is always a place to study.

Social Scene: Downtown Downers Grove is quiet like any suburb but there are a couple of bars close to school that we would go just to unwind or take a break. The great thing though is being so close to Chicago its only 20 to 25 mins away.

Local Hospitals: As for hospital info I don't really know yet all I have are reports from 3rd and 4th years, and like everything else some are glowing others not as much

Grades:

Curriculum:B+
Cost: B
Financial Aid: B
Faculty: A
Technology:C one downfall is the computer system on campus.
Study Space/Library: B+
Library technology/Resources:A-
Rotations:A
Social:A
Hospitals: n/a
Post Grad: A

Overall Grade: For me its an A- I am happy I chose the school I hope this will hepl you.

I live 5 min from CCOM and when I interviewed there, I love how the admissions staff kept harping on how they were in Chicago. Dude the school isn't in Chicago. I would give the location a B-/B. To get into downtown Chicago at any time except late at night/early morning will take more like 30-40min if you take I-88/I-290 straight in (unless you are talking about the city limits). Don't even get me started of wanting to get to the Northside of town. Chicago traffic/highway system is horrendous.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
In response to MaximusD's post... I am applying on the 08' cycle and am attempting to get a solid grasp on where I would ultimately like to go. I have applied to 8 schools (Touro CA and NV, PCOM, CCOM, Western, AZCOM, LECOM-B and NOVA). I was just curious as to what you are basing your ranking on ("only a few DO schools that could or should get above a C/C+"), which schools you would rank higher than your mediocre baseline and why? Thanks!

tatty yes it's psych but I like the ER and the more medical aspects and i'm thinking of going back and doing neuro to be double boarded. what's happening in psych now is criminal the way care is being denied and taken over by the lowest common denomenator. it's like telling patients they can only have 3 hours of open heart surgery and wishing the surgeon 'all the best!'
I'd like to be able to work until I'm a 'good age' (hopefully!) and I can't see being in the ER forever. I almost stayed in medicine when I first started my residency. probably should have in retrospect but the psych/medical part was so much fun. Psychotic people are wonderful and the ER was a challenge. I sent a lot of ER patients to the Med ER and even the ICU. You really have to be on your toes medically.
Half of the medical residents at north shore these days are nycom grads. I was surprised to see that. When I started nycom they wouldn't look at us.

When I did my pediatrics rotation at downstate the professors said 'will the NYCOM students please stop answering questions and give the downstate students a chance!" it's because they made us take pediatrics 2nd year before we hit the wards.

Good luck. Private message me if you need anything. The main thing is to stay calm. I don't know who teaches biochem but it used to be this woman who told you you were 3 weeks behind on the first day of class. Just ignore that speech!!!! She's probably not there anymore!

In response to MaximusD's post... I am applying on the 08' cycle and am attempting to get a solid grasp on where I would ultimately like to go. I have applied to 8 schools (Touro CA and NV, PCOM, CCOM, Western, AZCOM, LECOM-B and NOVA). I was just curious as to what you are basing your ranking on ("only a few DO schools that could or should get above a C/C+"), which schools you would rank higher than your mediocre baseline and why? Thanks!

You took that out of context. I was speaking about tuition ranking not overall ranking.

I would absolutely give at least 2-3 DO schools A-range scores based upon cursory understanding of curriculum and reputation, but I am still pre-med so wtf do I know...

I would absolutely give at least 2-3 DO schools A-range scores based upon cursory understanding of curriculum and reputation, but I am still pre-med so wtf do I know...

Let me guess CCOM, PCOM and NYCOM?

Out of the 26 DO schools (soon to be 28) I would say 5-6 schools are in the A/A- range, another 5-6 in the B range and the rest after that. Totally depends what you want and what you are basing your "cursory understanding" off of. Are you comparing those 2-3 schools against MD schools? If so, more than 2-3 schools would be on that list. Is it match lists? Same thing, more than 2-3 schools have great match lists. That is a really subjective statement to state imo.

Rankings should be the lowest factor if not factored in at all when choosing school. I don't believe there is anything as an average or below average medical school in the U.S., just a good or bad fit for an individual. Not to mention what a person gets out of a school, regardless of reputation or ranking, is mostly dependent upon how hard the person works, handles stress, is resourceful and networks well, etc.

I'll do my quick UNECOM one, I am class 2009 done wiht classes, studying for COMLEX, and starting rotations in August. I am an ARMY HPSP student, which is great, pay check every 2 weeks, and no tuition or book bills! send me a message if you want the contact of the AWESOME medical army recruiter in the portland, ME area..

ok UNECOM:
Curriculum: pretty good, great pharm department, great psysio, great systems (in second year) Biochem, extremely bad, but seems like that everywhere

Location: Beautiful coast of Maine, on the ocean. good hunting, striper fishing, biking, hiking etc.

Cost: mid 30K for tuition I think, but the army gets the bill not me!

Faculty: great faculty really easily accessed, (biochem lacking but I heard a new really good biochemist is coming to replace the retiring old bird!)

Reputation: Every where I have been people have said UNECOM turns out some awesom students, even docs coming in from area hospitals to do lectures say they love having UNECOM student in their residency programs?? I guesss that is good

Clinical Rotations: hard to say, you have the options to go all over newengland, PA, and Newyork. Maine is limited because we have to compete for spots with Dartmouth and UVM (actually they just pay more for the spots, so we get limited numbers)

Housing: um reasonable, lot is seasonal ocean cottage rentals so sometimes you end up living with a bunch of people for a month until september rolls around, and it is available. there is NO on campus housing for grad students

Study areas: Library good, actually medical science building has 10 small rooms that can fit 12 people comfortably,

Social Scene: extension of undergrad, local bars are the medstudent bars, and the Social meca of bars and clubs is 30 minutes north in POrtlands old POrt, where there is something like 40 bars in a 4-5 block radius.

Local Hospitals: MMC, SMMC, Mercy Hospital, Brighton medical center, TONS of local DO Private practices.

Board Prep: Systems prep you really well, they are taught as boards preperation and tested that way throughout, there is boards committee in
each rising 2nd year class that puts it together. this past year we have professors come in and do Bugs/drugs review, parasitology review, Micro review, psychological pharm review, some path review, anatomy review,

Specialty: OMM is done pretty good here, we do everything from Soft tisssue to all HVLA including cervical, (some schools don't) cranial (whatever) and we hve electives at end of 2nd year, I did an trigger point injection elective. we have a 55 table OMM lab, awesome OMM/anatomy FELLOWS

Grades: pass fail is reported 69.5-89.45 = PASS 89.5-100 = HP <69.5 FAIL
you have two failures for the two years to retake a failed class/system

Curriculum: A-
Cost: C+
Financial Aid: A+
Technology: A (fully wireless)
Study Space/Library: A
Library technology/Resources:A+
Rotations: ??? can't really grade
Social: A+
Hospitals: A (MMC just was granted level 1 trauma status)
Post Grad: ????
hope this helps!

Overall Grade: A:thumbup:

Let me guess CCOM, PCOM and NYCOM?

Out of the 26 DO schools (soon to be 28) I would say 5-6 schools are in the A/A- range, another 5-6 in the B range and the rest after that. Totally depends what you want and what you are basing your "cursory understanding" off of. Are you comparing those 2-3 schools against MD schools? If so, more than 2-3 schools would be on that list. Is it match lists? Same thing, more than 2-3 schools have great match lists. That is a really subjective statement to state imo.

Easy there, tiger. I was defending DO schools, and I did say at least.

I said AT LEAST because I don't know much about schools that I didn't apply to.

I said at least 2-3 would get A-range scores, because that is all I was even remotely qualified to say. Had I said 5-6 were that good, I would have been overstepping my realm of knowledge.

"Go home anal-dwelling butt monkey!" - Bruce Almighty

Rankings should be the lowest factor if not factored in at all when choosing school. I don't believe there is anything as an average or below average medical school in the U.S., just a good or bad fit for an individual. Not to mention what a person gets out of a school, regardless of reputation or ranking, is mostly dependent upon how hard the person works, handles stress, is resourceful and networks well, etc.

What are you basing that on? Your feeling? Be realistic... you will never hear me say that PCOM offers the same opportunities that a Harvard or John Hopkins Medical education will... there are more highly-regarded schools than others... and it does count for something. Don't fall victim to the unrealistic pre-med rationalizations that all schools are created equal.

Quality of education... likely similar... I will agree on that. But that's not the whole issue here, is it?

Slightly different from what I would of given UNECOM... but to each their own opinion. Maybe you have been studying for the boards so long and your head made you forget some things.

BTW tuition is 40k

Board Prep is not good (hence we are not doing amazing)... see AZCOM and OSUCOM, and CCOM and there 99% pass rate

Biochem is a Shame... Too bad I will have to learn Biochem on my own.

Rotations are not that great considering we can't even get MMC as a main site. Some off shore schools have more extensive sites and locations. Canadian rotations are out of the question (except for 4 or 6 weeks) ... cause I was told you are getting an US degree (bite me), LCME schools .. can do 4th year rotations in CANADA that third world country.

If these things can be resolve.. then it would definitely be one of the best schools.

I'll do my quick UNECOM one, I am class 2009 done wiht classes, studying for COMLEX, and starting rotations in August. I am an ARMY HPSP student, which is great, pay check every 2 weeks, and no tuition or book bills! send me a message if you want the contact of the AWESOME medical army recruiter in the portland, ME area..

ok UNECOM:
Curriculum: pretty good, great pharm department, great psysio, great systems (in second year) Biochem, extremely bad, but seems like that everywhere

Location: Beautiful coast of Maine, on the ocean. good hunting, striper fishing, biking, hiking etc.

Cost: mid 30K for tuition I think, but the army gets the bill not me!

Faculty: great faculty really easily accessed, (biochem lacking but I heard a new really good biochemist is coming to replace the retiring old bird!)

Reputation: Every where I have been people have said UNECOM turns out some awesom students, even docs coming in from area hospitals to do lectures say they love having UNECOM student in their residency programs?? I guesss that is good

Clinical Rotations: hard to say, you have the options to go all over newengland, PA, and Newyork. Maine is limited because we have to compete for spots with Dartmouth and UVM (actually they just pay more for the spots, so we get limited numbers)

Housing: um reasonable, lot is seasonal ocean cottage rentals so sometimes you end up living with a bunch of people for a month until september rolls around, and it is available. there is NO on campus housing for grad students

Study areas: Library good, actually medical science building has 10 small rooms that can fit 12 people comfortably,

Social Scene: extension of undergrad, local bars are the medstudent bars, and the Social meca of bars and clubs is 30 minutes north in POrtlands old POrt, where there is something like 40 bars in a 4-5 block radius.

Local Hospitals: MMC, SMMC, Mercy Hospital, Brighton medical center, TONS of local DO Private practices.

Board Prep: Systems prep you really well, they are taught as boards preperation and tested that way throughout, there is boards committee in
each rising 2nd year class that puts it together. this past year we have professors come in and do Bugs/drugs review, parasitology review, Micro review, psychological pharm review, some path review, anatomy review,

Specialty: OMM is done pretty good here, we do everything from Soft tisssue to all HVLA including cervical, (some schools don't) cranial (whatever) and we hve electives at end of 2nd year, I did an trigger point injection elective. we have a 55 table OMM lab, awesome OMM/anatomy FELLOWS

Grades: pass fail is reported 69.5-89.45 = PASS 89.5-100 = HP <69.5 FAIL
you have two failures for the two years to retake a failed class/system

Curriculum: A-
Cost: C+
Financial Aid: A+
Technology: A (fully wireless)
Library technology/Resources:A+
Rotations: ??? can't really grade
Social: A+
Hospitals: A (MMC just was granted level 1 trauma status)
Post Grad: ????
hope this helps!

Overall Grade: A:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Slightly different from what I would of given UNECOM... but to each their own opinion. Maybe you have been studying for the boards so long and your head made you forget some things.

BTW tuition is 40k

Board Prep is not good (hence we are not doing amazing)... see AZCOM and OSUCOM, and CCOM and there 99% pass rate

Rotations are not that great considering we can't even get MMC as a main site. Some off shore schools have more extensive sites and locations. Canadian rotations are out of the question (except for 4 or 6 weeks) ... cause I was told you are getting an US degree (bite me), LCME schools .. can do 4th year rotations in CANADA that third world country.

If these things can be resolve.. then it would definitely be one of the best schools.

Did you/DO you go to UNECOM, and if so what year are you. I am not saying that Boards Prep is Perfect, and yes UNE could do a little more FORMAL work into it, and the reason that we only have a few spots is that Dartmouth and UVM pay more for med student spots then UNE, that is why they get the spots, last years class brought the pass rate up, the class that just graduated that plummeted UNE pass rate is the same class that had some questionable test taking practices during first year... so I look at it as a year by year basis.
The rotation side of it is a combination of the crappy people who run the clinical rotation office, and the dictation of what AOA says, as far as "foreign" rotations, you can do all you want on electives, but you can't for Core's just the way it is... you could spend you whole 4th year in Canada if you wanted as long as you fullfill your cores and req's US side.
also the only reason OSU has such a high pass rate is they have MR Boards PREP himself teaching you for 2 years !! GOLJAN!!!! I think any school with im on staff would kill boards! my .02, gotta go another full day of listening to Goljan and studying. If you are a rising 1st year, then you will see when it is your turn to go through the boards prep classes and such you will realize how much you have been taught. Remember med school is not for spoon feeders, you need to work at it, all classes can't be perfect and neither can all programs, because if they were tuition would be 100,000 and they would still fill the 125 seats each year...

Yes I do.. you know who I am.. how many Bill(s) are there in first year class. Me and one other guy. I am the younger one.

1) NO I can't do 4th year electives in Canada PERIOD. I know the cores have to be done at those limited sites we have.. but I asked for 4th year and they said NOooooooo.

2) YEs of course.. that class had questionable test taking skills.. All of the 115 or so students that is why the scores have been lower!!

3) So UVM and Dartmouth pay more.. so is that an excuse or an explanation. Maybe since you are an army doc.. you are use to accepting things and taking it... where as I am not.

The rotation side of it is a combination of the crappy people who run the clinical rotation office...

Again.. not an excuse.. but an explanation.

also the only reason OSU has such a high pass rate is they have MR Boards PREP himself teaching you for 2 years !! GOLJAN!!!!
and who does AZCOM and CCOM and MSU and PCOM have... I don't buy this.

Remember med school is not for spoon feeders, you need to work at it, all classes can't be perfect and neither can all programs, because if they were tuition would be 100,000 and they would still fill the 125 seats each year...

Don't give me this bull $hit about how medical school is not spoon fed.. it is spoon fed.. every bit of it. You get tested on what is presented to you... you get to listen to most of the lectures online or read the scribes (BTW EXCELLENT THING ABOUT UNECOM)

You want to compare spoon feeding to a research based graduate degree... please do!!!

What I am saying its not at bad place.. but definitely needs work.

What are you basing that on? Your feeling? Be realistic... you will never hear me say that PCOM offers the same opportunities that a Harvard or John Hopkins Medical education will... there are more highly-regarded schools than others... and it does count for something. Don't fall victim to the unrealistic pre-med rationalizations that all schools are created equal.

Quality of education... likely similar... I will agree on that. But that's not the whole issue here, is it?

Yep unfortunately the real criteria to which you should judge medical schools doesn't become apparent until you are more than half way through. Quality of education prior to clinical years is pretty much equal across the board and probably the last thing you should consider as a premed. If I were to advise an applicant this is the criteria I would tell them to use.

1) Quality of 3rd year clinical rotations. I'm not talking about having rotation sites in sunny socal or having them close to home. Does the school have rotations sites with level 1 trauma centers and will you actually be working with residents? And if they do how plentiful are they? Are there like 5 spots in a quality location and 145 spots in a horrendous site? Not a big issue for allopathic schools as they all have their own medical centers. Huge issue for DO schools. Some schools have excellent sites while others do not. Some will have good and bad sites hopefully more good than bad but that is not always the case.

2) Political atmosphere of the school. First two years this will not matter. Bigger deal when 3rd year roles around. Is your school more concerned with helping you graduate and becoming a doctor or are they more concerned with maintaining their image and not ruffling any feathers. If it is the later get ready for a world of hurt during 3rd year. You see in the ideal situation the school believes the student is right till proven wrong. Where as a school that is more concerned with their own image will always say you are in the wrong. Doesn't matter what the circumstances if you do anything that can hurt the schools image in any way shape or form you are in the wrong. God help you if anyone in the hospital finds out you come from the later school. They will pretty much abuse you because they know 1) you can't do anything and 2) your school will not do anything.

3) Match list. Maybe not a big deal if you're going Peds, FM, IM, or psych. And certainly not important to look for how many people went neurosurgery at Hopkins. But do look for suspicious things like only 2 out of a 150 people going into surgery.

4) Current student's opinion. Do not just listen to the people you meet on your interview day. You think the school is going to let you talk to anyone who has anything negative to say about the school? Find other students and ask them. Don't write off bitter people. Bitter people often got that way because something legit happened to them.

If you go by this criteria there are med schools that are way below par.

well seems like you know all the answers, so put it together, get off the soap box, call a meeting with the board of overseers, you in-class representative on the board (LOL) and the interim dean, and Ripich, and tell them how it should be. Every person that I have talked to as too why UNE has limited spots in Portland is this... Medical students cost hospitals thousands of dollars in lost productivity, reduntant care, mistakes, so that is why they collect a fee as "tuition", UVM and Dartmouth do not have many hospitals in their locations to have 3rd year spots for everyone, so like UNE they look elsewhere. Thse schools have big endowments (dartmouth) or state financial assistance (UVM) plus decent cost of tuition for the medical school, and they simply pay Maine Med more money, somthhing on the order of 8-10 thousand more a student! .. it is a simple equation, more $$ equals more spots, We lost In-patient Peds at Maine med for this reason from what I am told from a graduated 4th year, who happened to be a fellow last year. Other than that look at it this way, you have one year left, get in get out. I see you are from canada and you would want to preactice there?? Looks like you have a Phd too? well you have done a research based degree and now this, You will see next year when you take WIllards system that if you don't work on learning stuff on your own you will find yourself retaking a lot of stuff. 2nd year systems is nothing like 1st year.
Did they give you a reason why Canada was off limits for rotations?
Because if you go to them with the proper proceedings in getting rotations /setting up rotations they like it better, less work for them. It could also be numerous things as malpractice-like insurance from the school does not cover you in foreign countries, But also that office is wrking with our class right now, take the summer to enjoy and worry about rotations next year..

Anyway, I have enjoyed UNE, it was the only school I applied to, and I wouldn't have wanted anywhere else. I believe what I got out of my 2 years has given me a good foundation, and thats all I could ask for.

P.s. the way you were ranting I thought you were cowboy bill!
trust me 1st year sux, and second year is a lot better, more of a rhythm, and
no crazy exam schedules like you had.

Yes I do.. you know who I am.. how many Bill(s) are there in first year class. Me and one other guy. I am the younger one.

1) NO I can't do 4th year electives in Canada PERIOD. I know the cores have to be done at those limited sites we have.. but I asked for 4th year and they said NOooooooo.

2) YEs of course.. that class had questionable test taking skills.. All of the 115 or so students that is why the scores have been lower!!

3) So UVM and Dartmouth pay more.. so is that an excuse or an explanation. Maybe since you are an army doc.. you are use to accepting things and taking it... where as I am not.

Again.. not an excuse.. but an explanation.

and who does AZCOM and CCOM and MSU and PCOM have... I don't buy this.

Don't give me this bull $hit about how medical school is not spoon fed.. it is spoon fed.. every bit of it. You get tested on what is presented to you... you get to listen to most of the lectures online or read the scribes (BTW EXCELLENT THING ABOUT UNECOM)

You want to compare spoon feeding to a research based graduate degree... please do!!!

What I am saying its not at bad place.. but definitely needs work.

As someone mentioned before, the degree to which you "fit" your medical school is what this thread relates to. The objectivity of a true pro/con list is obviously swayed by the reviewer's own experience at that given school. Take any given school and compare the "ratings" given to the school by a student who thoroughly enjoyed his 4 years at the school and is headed exactly where he wants to go, with another student who really did not fit well with the school, did not enjoy his four years, and is disgruntled that he did not snag one of his top 3 choices for residency. Due to their personal perspectives, the same school would get an "A" from one student and a "C-" from another.

Sure, many of the reviewers on here are trying to be as objective as they can and supporting some of their views with facts, but I think the casual viewer should not take this thread as anything more than anecdote and form their own opinions when/if they visit a given school.

I wrote a response.. and then realized you know what.. this is not the place for this. I think UNECOM is a good school.. but I think they have lots of work to do still.

well seems like you know all the answers, so put it together, get off the soap box, call a meeting with the board of overseers, you in-class representative on the board (LOL) and the interim dean, and Ripich, and tell them how it should be. Every person that I have talked to as too why UNE has limited spots in Portland is this... Medical students cost hospitals thousands of dollars in lost productivity, reduntant care, mistakes, so that is why they collect a fee as "tuition", UVM and Dartmouth do not have many hospitals in their locations to have 3rd year spots for everyone, so like UNE they look elsewhere. Thse schools have big endowments (dartmouth) or state financial assistance (UVM) plus decent cost of tuition for the medical school, and they simply pay Maine Med more money, somthhing on the order of 8-10 thousand more a student! .. it is a simple equation, more $$ equals more spots, We lost In-patient Peds at Maine med for this reason from what I am told from a graduated 4th year, who happened to be a fellow last year. Other than that look at it this way, you have one year left, get in get out. I see you are from canada and you would want to preactice there?? Looks like you have a Phd too? well you have done a research based degree and now this, You will see next year when you take WIllards system that if you don't work on learning stuff on your own you will find yourself retaking a lot of stuff. 2nd year systems is nothing like 1st year.
Did they give you a reason why Canada was off limits for rotations?
Because if you go to them with the proper proceedings in getting rotations /setting up rotations they like it better, less work for them. It could also be numerous things as malpractice-like insurance from the school does not cover you in foreign countries, But also that office is wrking with our class right now, take the summer to enjoy and worry about rotations next year..

Anyway, I have enjoyed UNE, it was the only school I applied to, and I wouldn't have wanted anywhere else. I believe what I got out of my 2 years has given me a good foundation, and thats all I could ask for.

P.s. the way you were ranting I thought you were cowboy bill!
trust me 1st year sux, and second year is a lot better, more of a rhythm, and
no crazy exam schedules like you had.

1) Quality of 3rd year clinical rotations. I'm not talking about having rotation sites in sunny socal or having them close to home. Does the school have rotations sites with level 1 trauma centers and will you actually be working with residents? And if they do how plentiful are they? Are there like 5 spots in a quality location and 145 spots in a horrendous site? Not a big issue for allopathic schools as they all have their own medical centers. Huge issue for DO schools. Some schools have excellent sites while others do not. Some will have good and bad sites hopefully more good than bad but that is not always the case.

One thing I will add to this are ELECTIVES.

It is difficult to make yourself known to residency programs if you only have 2-3 months worth of elective time. That was one of the reasons I ranked PCOM so high...6 months of pure electives plus 2 months of selectives. Almost half of you clinical education was under YOUR control.

I have looked at the rotation curriculum for some of the other DO schools and they have only a few months of electives and are overloaded (in my opinion) on primary care months...some up to 3 months of pure family medicine.

For instance, UMDNJ has 12wks of FP, 6wks IM, 4wks Geriatrics and 6wks of Peds in the 3rd year. IMO the 4wks of Geriatrics is a waste...you see plenty of geriatrics in IMED...in fact MOST of IMED is geriatric patients. Also, there are NO electives in the 3rd year. In the 4th year you have 4 months of general electives, but if youre applying to a subspecialty you might be screwed. Interviews for DO programs start in October of your 4th year. What if you dont have your first elective until July or August of 4th year. Not a lot of time to pick a specialty, get letters of recommendation, rotate at places you are applying to AND get your application in order. Sure, they give you 4 weeks for COMLEX Prep (which is overkill for Step 2 IMO), but I would MUCH rather have that time to rotate at hospitals I am applying to instead of studying.

NYCOM only has 3 months of electives, all in the 4th year.

I dont mean to single out UMDNJ or NYCOM, I just used those schools as examples.

Electives can dictate your future more than just about anything. Stellar rotation sites dont mean a whole lot to a person who wants to do residency outside the system but cant get the time slots to go other places.

I also like PCOMs 4 week rotation system as opposed to 6 weeks. IMO 4 weeks is long enough to figure out if you want to do that specialty or not. If its something you are considering as a career, you have the elective time to do more of it. If its not (like Psych) you can move on. For me 4 weeks in Psych and Peds was MORE than enough.

FYI, PCOMs rotation setup:

3rd year:
General Surgery: 4 weeks
Specialty Surgery/Anesthesia: 4 weeks
Internal Medicine: 4 weeks
Cardiology: 4 weeks
Internal Medicine Selective: 4 weeks
OMM/Family Medicine: 4 weeks
Pediatrics: 4 weeks
OB/GYN: 4 weeks
Psychiatry: 4 weeks
Radiology/Clinical Skills: 4 weeks (laparascopic simulator, trauma simulator, chest tubes, etc)
Elective: 4 weeks

4th year:
Rural Medicine: 4 weeks
Urban Medicine Clinic: 8 weeks (student run clinics) - each day a different specialist visits the clinics as well (Nephro, Rheum, Derm, OMM, etc)
Emergency Medicine: 4 weeks
Medical Sub-Internship: 4 weeks
Surgical Sub-Internship/Ambulatory Surgery Selective: 4 weeks
Electives: 20 weeks
Vacation: 4 weeks

It is difficult to make yourself known to residency programs if you only have 2-3 months worth of elective time. That was one of the reasons I ranked PCOM so high...6 months of pure electives plus 2 months of selectives. Almost half of you clinical education was under YOUR control.

I have looked at the rotation curriculum for some of the other DO schools and they have only a few months of electives and are overloaded (in my opinion) on primary care months...some up to 3 months of pure family medicine.

For instance, UMDNJ has 12wks of FP, 6wks IM, 4wks Geriatrics and 6wks of Peds in the 3rd year. IMO the 4wks of Geriatrics is a waste...you see plenty of geriatrics in IMED...in fact MOST of IMED is geriatric patients. Also, there are NO electives in the 3rd year. In the 4th year you have 4 months of general electives, but if youre applying to a subspecialty you might be screwed. Interviews for DO programs start in October of your 4th year. What if you dont have your first elective until July or August of 4th year. Not a lot of time to pick a specialty, get letters of recommendation, rotate at places you are applying to AND get your application in order. Sure, they give you 4 weeks for COMLEX Prep (which is overkill for Step 2 IMO), but I would MUCH rather have that time to rotate at hospitals I am applying to instead of studying.

I dont mean to single out UMDNJ or NYCOM, I just used those schools as examples.

Electives can dictate your future more than just about anything. Stellar rotation sites dont mean a whole lot to a person who wants to do residency outside the system but cant get the time slots to go other places.

I also like PCOMs 4 week rotation system as opposed to 6 weeks. IMO 4 weeks is long enough to figure out if you want to do that specialty or not. If its something you are considering as a career, you have the elective time to do more of it. If its not (like Psych) you can move on. For me 4 weeks in Psych and Peds was MORE than enough.

3rd year:
Radiology/Clinical Skills: 4 weeks (laparascopic simulator, trauma simulator, chest tubes, etc)

4th year:
Urban Medicine Clinic: 8 weeks (student run clinics) - each day a different specialist visits the clinics as well (Nephro, Rheum, Derm, OMM, etc)

One downside to pcom is we have a lot of rotations we have to complete to graduate. Talking to people from other schools they have more months off or start their rotation cycle later. This isn't always a bad thing because of the exposure you will get, but it needed to be mentioned

3rd year:

4th year:

Electives in the 3rd year seem awesome, I wish NYCOM had that option.

One thing I like about our rotation schedule is we have this system where you can do all your rotations at one hospital in the NYCOMEC system, or you can rotate through different hospitals. One thing I don't like is that you can't go "out" of the NYCOMEC system until your fourth year, which limits your auditions.

Below is NYCOM's rotation schedule:

3rd year:
•Family Medicine - 6 Weeks
•Medicine - 12 Weeks
•Ob/Gyn - 6 Weeks
•Pediatrics - 6 Weeks
•Psychiatry - 6 Weeks
•Surgery - 12 Weeks

4th year:
•2 Sub-Internships for 4 weeks each in Medicine, Pediatrics, Surgery, ObGyn, Psychiatry or Family Medicine
•Emergency Medicine for 4 weeks
•Radiology for 4 weeks
•A Preceptorship with a Board certified DO who has completed an Osteopathic internship or an Ambulatory Medicine in a NYCOM approved clinical site in General Medicine, Pediatrics or Family Practice for 4 weeks
•2 selectives of 4 weeks each at a NYCOM approved clinical site in Medicine/Pediatrics and Surgery/ObGyn.
•3 electives of 4 weeks each at any NYCOM approved site in any NYCOM approved discipline

As you can see, our selectives and electives don't come until 4th year, same with Rads. 6 weeks of Peds is too much IMO, I would rather have a 2 week selective/elective set up and have 4 weeks of Peds. Same with Psych. 12 weeks of surgery... I dunno, that seems like a lot of time to not have some gas or selectives mixed in.

If others could post their clerkship schedules, that would be nice to look at as well.

Wow 12 weeks of Medicine and Surgery? Sounds like a brutal 3rd year.

KCUMB rotation schedule

3rd year (may vary slightly based on core site)
Family Medicine: 8 wks
Internal Medicine: 8 wks
Surgery: 8 wks
Psych: 4 wks
OB: 4 wks
Peds: 4 wks
Elective: 4 wks

4th year
2 Sub internships each 4 wks long in the field of our choice
Cardiology: 4 wks
EM: 4 wks
Rural medicine: 4 wks
Vacation or Independent study: up to 8 wks
Electives: 16 wks, 20-24 if you don't take a study and or vacation month

Pretty basic rotation schedule. It is nice to have one elective month in 3rd year to try out a specialty.

Here's DMU's Rotation Schedule:

3rd Year
Family Med: 8 wks
G. Surg: 4 wks
Internal Med: 4 wks
Misc 2 Hospital Specialties (depends on core site): 4 wks each
Psych: 4 wks
OB: 4 wks
General Peds: 4 wks
Primary Care Elective: 4 wks
True Electives: 8 wks

4th year
8 wks Family Practice (or 4 wks Rural/Community + 4 wks FP)
Rest of year is elective time!!!

Our M3 year is very structured, but there is still 12 wks of Elective time built in. M4 year is the bomb b/c it allows you to travel to all the places you want to be seen at for residencies, but the downside is that you might be traveling a lot.

So what do you do if you think you want to do a specialty, but you don't get a chance to rotate through that specialty until later in your forth year? Aren't apps due in like November of 4th year? Say for instance I may want to look at Urology; besides heading down to see some uro procedures during my 3rd yr surgery rotations, what other oppty do I have to see it? Esp if my surgery selective isn't until late in my 4th yr?
Curious.

I wrote a response.. and then realized you know what.. this is not the place for this. I think UNECOM is a good school.. but I think they have lots of work to do still.
We agree to disagree, and yhes UNECOM has its issues but its everywhere. so good luck next year, and good luck with your career

So what do you do if you think you want to do a specialty, but you don't get a chance to rotate through that specialty until later in your forth year? Aren't apps due in like November of 4th year? Say for instance I may want to look at Urology; besides heading down to see some uro procedures during my 3rd yr surgery rotations, what other oppty do I have to see it? Esp if my surgery selective isn't until late in my 4th yr?
Curious.

if your undecided you can do a traditional rotating internship which will allow you to enter the match later.

As much as I like UNECOM- I think the important issues brought up by Doc Bill shouldn't be be glossed over.

UNECOM is one of the most expensive med schoools in the country and there is no plan to address this problem. I think it's hurting the school's mission which focuses on producing primary care docs.

We have a good reputation but our board pass rate leaves a lot to be desired (I think this may have to do more with the students than academic training) and although some students rotate at MMC- most don't and too many students (in my opinion) are stuck with sub-par rotations (ie. not enough in-patient peds rotations, random FP/OB/surg/etc. rotation sites sometimes 6 hrs from Core sites, ****ty hospitals, some mega-religious hospital sites, etc.) It seems like the rotation spots are improving year by year but the poor relationship the administration has with MMC is hurting students ability to rotate at MMC- the only hospital in Maine which offers residencies other than FP and the only fully-academic teaching hospital in the state.

Living on the beach is awesome though and we do have great, dedicated professors-I feel as though I've received an excellent education so far and expect to pass boards with flying colors..we'll see.

I have to say that I really like the people at the school and have made some great friends.

BTW tuition is 40k

Great advice! I didn't know clinical rotation quality and schedules were so different for each school. I can see how this could limit many osteopathic student future opportunities hoping to specialize.

What about the new schools coming out that claim they are dedicated to training primary care physicians. What if after a few rotations a student decides to specialize? What do they do?

Anyhew, are there any Touro, Western, LECOM, and Nova students that can give their opinion? ;)

So what do you do if you think you want to do a specialty, but you don't get a chance to rotate through that specialty until later in your forth year?

Youre screwed.

Aren't apps due in like November of 4th year?

Some programs are already interviewing by then. I interviewed in October.

Say for instance I may want to look at Urology; besides heading down to see some uro procedures during my 3rd yr surgery rotations, what other oppty do I have to see it?

Electives. If your school doesnt offer that then you might have to use your vacation time.

Esp if my surgery selective isn't until late in my 4th yr?
Curious.

Again...this is why its important to look at schools that offer a great deal of autonomy with the clinical years.

As mentioned above, PCOM does have a long 3rd adn 4th year and its a brutal schedule. But I would gladly trade that for the ability to spend up to 7 months figuring out what I want to do.

Also, FYI, most schools show their rotation schedule online at their websites.

Hi guys,

I just finished my 2nd year at UNECOM and thought I'd share my thoughts.

Curriculum
The format of the curriculum is quite good. When I was an MS-I, we didn't have block exams. They have now incorporated this routine for the class of 2010 and subsequent years. From my understanding, they undergo a week of exams 2 times a semester. I find this to be quite overwhelming, but it will get you in shape for the boards, in which everything's fair game. So half a semester's coursework tested in a week's time doesn't sound like such a bad idea to me to ready the students.
Second year is well structured, but again, I do not know if they will be moving to a block exam format with the years following mine (I am class of 2009). It is systems based, starting with Neuroanatomy, which half the class honors passed because everyone is so motivated after the summer. You'll see a nice drop off in grades as the year progresses, and a pick up again after about mid year as people start getting motivated for boards. All in all, we get what we need. I give the curriculum a B+ to an A-.

Biochem is not stressed on the COMLEX. Hence, it is not stressed in our curriculum so stop b****in' about it everyone. You're a DO student, not an allopath, so don't whine about the school not prepping you for the USMLE. You should be proud to have the chance to take the COMLEX.

As far as geography and scenery, this place is untouchable. However, if you like city life, this place is not for you. It's about 1:15 North of Boston and 30 minutes South of Downtown Portland. Portland is fun, but not quite a big city, more or less a charming New England coastal city.

Cost:
$39,000 a year. You tell me.

Faculty:
The faculty is overall, good. A few great books have come from these people. Some are snobby and there's definitely a clickiness amongst them. They know what they're teaching though, and that's all that counts. Just don't get on anyone's bad side, because if you do, others are sure to hear about it and formulate opinions about you therein. The same goes for the opposite though, you get on anyone's good side, and it will float around the faculty as well. It's a small place.

In the medical world, it is quite good. Good enough that there are rumors floating around that an institution as tight assed as the AMA would like to recruit UNE as an MD school. DO's from here get great residencies and there are an assortment of high profile doc's who came out of UNE. As for a premed's view of it, you tell me...

I do know that we have one of the best anatomy programs in the country, with the most touch time available to students. It's very modern and very clean in that lab.

Clinical Rotations:
so far so good. A lot of autonomy to choose your sites come 4th year. And the 3rd year cores seem pleasing. A few people get shafted into sites I don't think they want, but the school does a good job getting in with hospitals around New England and elsewhere and providing students with some options.

Housing:
Great rental properties right on the Beach. Don't get fooled into renting an apartment in the town of Biddeford. Seasonal Beach houses are available and usually more cost friendly than those in the center of town.

Study areas:
I like to study in the med-building although there are only about 8 small rooms available. And they are oftentimes used for events and functions, meetings and interviews. The library has quite a bit of space and a great view of the softball field and the Saco River. There are spaces all over campus as it is an Undergrad institution as well, but you'll have to find them. Plenty of room though, don't get me wrong.

Social Scene:
Just enough to keep you sane.

Local Hospitals:
We do preceptor visits at them, there's SMMC in Biddeford and Main Med in Portland, both really close and accessible. You'll find them to be relatively standard institutions. But there isn't much they have to offer 1st and 2nd years, so don't worry too much about it. You'll have a few days of shadowing to do at both places.

Board Prep:
The pharm Department gets an A+ here. Also, the systems have a great website that offers you an index of diseases and all there is to know about them. All of the classes and websites associated with them are available to you as long as you are registered on webCT (the online system used by the school for students). The bookstore also offers all the books you could ever need.

Specialty:
They say family practice, but I don't know how true that is. I'd say about 1/3 of our class will actually go into it. But I do know that students generally get good residencies coming out.

Grades:

Curriculum: B+
Cost: D
Financial Aid: A
Faculty: B+
Technology: A-
Library technology/Resources: A-
Rotations: B
Social: B
Hospitals: B+
Post Grad: A

Overall Grade:
B+ to A-

Also, FYI, most schools show their rotation schedule online at their websites.

What % of residents at any given program have rotated through there when that program is not affiliated with their university?

Also, to clarify, while rotation sites/schedules are listed on school websites, the order of those rotations are not.

What % of residents at any given program have rotated through there when that program is not affiliated with their university?

Also, to clarify, while rotation sites/schedules are listed on school websites, the order of those rotations are not.

Do you know if NYCOM gives us flexible schedule and autonomy with the clinical years ???

Because there is no set order.

You cant have an entire class of 250 students all rotating on pediatrics at the same time.

Its often luck of the draw which rotation you start with.

In the medical world, it is quite good. Good enough that there are rumors floating around that an institution as tight assed as the AMA would like to recruit UNE as an MD school.

:laugh:

They tell that to UNECOM students to?

That puts the count at 6 for the number of DO schools where this rumor circulates.

Actually, JP, it was "rumor" enough that the President of the college sent out a letter denying it and there was a meeting on campus with several of the local folks who had also heard the rumor.

Actually, JP, it was "rumor" enough that the President of the college sent out a letter denying it and there was a meeting on campus with several of the local folks who had also heard the rumor.

Ohhh...in that case.

3rd year:

4th year:

Hey, I normally don't post here since I still have not matriculated anywhere (will at COMP in August), but no one has posted the COMP clinical rotations so I thought that I would (as listed on the website). Here goes:

MS3:
Family Practice - 4 weeks
Surgery - 4 weeks
OMM - 4 weeks
Didactics - 3 seperate weeks
Internal Medicine (General) - (2) 4 week sessions
Psychiatry - 4 weeks
OB/GYN - 6 weeks
Pediatrics - 6 weeks
Internal Medicine (General) or Sub Specialty - 4 weeks
Elective - 4 weeks
Vacation - 4 weeks and 1 week

MS4:
Emergency Medicine - 4 weeks
Sub-Internship (Medicine) Selective - 4 weeks
Sub-Internship (Surgery) Selective - 4 weeks
Elective - (7) 4 week sessions
Vacation - 4 weeks

If any current COMP students want to chime in & let me know if I got anything wrong feel free!

I think that's the biggest issue. People who are still in undergrad aren't so much worried about their future medical education as they are about how competitive their medical school is. That's why you always see pre-meds asking which school is "better" in the eyes of the pre-med community. If these kids would stop and ask themselves "how happy will I be spending 4 years at school X vs. school Y" I think they'd be a lot more successful. Afterall, I'll go out on a limb and say it's easier to get good grades when you're happy and enjoy what you're learning. As long as the school is in the US, accredited, has licensed practicing physicians, and you finish in the top quarter of your class you're golden.

Okay I will throw in my 2cents on Lecom-Bradenton.

Rotations- I am a 4th year who is currently doing clinical rotations. Currently, I am doing cardiology at shands in Gainesville. I think Lecom-B has done a fantastic job allowing us to do electives at away hospitals where we would like to apply. This may not be something you think about at the start of your medical school career, but it is very important. I have had the opportunity to do away's in Miami, Gainesville, UF-Jax and in the coming months Cleveland Clinic. This has given me a better chance of matching into radiology, which is a competitive residency to match.

PBL- Fantastic! I can not say enough about how tremendous PBL at Lecom-Bradenton really was. It prepares you well for boards and prepares you well for rotations. There has not been a single rotation (okay besides ob-gyn) where I felt lost. If you are disciplined, PBL will afford you the opportunity to do very well on boards and not feel overly stressed. Also, you may have heard this from many other sources but I feel obligated to reiterate it here- Take the USMLE. Don't even contemplate not taking it. Prepare for it and get it done right after 2nd year. You will love yourself later!

Location- Come on, Sunny Florida! What else could you want.

If anyone has any other questions feel free to send me a personal message.

Do you know if NYCOM gives us flexible schedule and autonomy with the clinical years ???

Yes. I suggest you talk to some 3rd/4th years if you can.

I was told by a 4th year that you are allowed to do electives as part of the 12 grueling weeks of IM and Surg 3rd yr, so that solves that problem. Even if you went to a school that didn't offer this, I don't think you are "screwed." You can go in on weekends, stop by departments after your shift is over, go in on days off, and of course you can always switch with another student. There are hundreds of people who are out of luck every year b/c of the luck of the draw when it comes to scheduling, and they still end up where they want to be.

If you want to do an audition rotation outside of the NY system, this is the only place NYCOM's system might hurt you since you have to wait till 4th year - this isn't a problem if you (a) get an elective early or (b) switch with another student early on.

Yes. I suggest you talk to some 3rd/4th years if you can.

I was told by a 4th year that you are allowed to do electives as part of the 12 grueling weeks of IM and Surg 3rd yr, so that solves that problem. Even if you went to a school that didn't offer this, I don't think you are "screwed." You can go in on weekends, stop by departments after your shift is over, go in on days off, and of course you can always switch with another student. There are hundreds of people who are out of luck every year b/c of the luck of the draw when it comes to scheduling, and they still end up where they want to be.

If you want to do an audition rotation outside of the NY system, this is the only place NYCOM's system might hurt you since you have to wait till 4th year - this isn't a problem if you (a) get an elective early or (b) switch with another student early on.

Thank you. I guess I'll talk to students once school starts. Do u know how this lottery thing work?

a rumor of a rumor of a rumor that had nothing to do with the ama. rumor on.

AMA can't recruit schools to become MD schools. So this is nothing but a BS rumor. LCME and acreditation bodies does that.

Plus, there is 0.0001% chance that any DO school will become an MD school any time soon. The AOA has J.D. as there CEO... so no one wants to be tied up with lawyers!!! Especially not dirty ones. DO schools are like McDonalds or Walmart, they would rather shut the place down and burn rather than getting it Unionized.

DO schools are like McDonalds or Walmart, they would rather shut the place down and burn rather than getting it Unionized.

I am still trying to figure out what you mean by this post?