Protocol for listing experiences in ERAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhoenixAZ

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting to look at filling out ERAS and am wondering what the protocol is for listing experiences in ERAS. Should I only include research, volunteering, committee, etc. that I do in medical school only? Or can I/should I also include what I did in college? Any insights will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Would include whatever you realistically want to potentially talk about in an interview. For example, don't mention the summer of basic biology research from college if you can't talk intelligently about it if asked about it.

Another way of thinking about it is that you should list things that fit with whatever story you're trying to tell. If research is a major part of your application, then it's fair game to list your college projects to show that this is something you've been invested in for years. If volunteering/advocacy is big part of your story, then listing meaningful leadership positions from college might make sense to again show your commitment. But if something wasn't truly significant or if there isn't a way to show that it contributed to what you did in med school, it may not be worth listing--if you list every little insignificant fluff that was on your AMCAS application, you may wind up making it hard to tell which experiences were actually meaningful, and thus what people should actually ask you about in an interview.

Hello guys,
I ve got a similar question.
I ve worked for a limited period for a company in the field of online medical education. I was creating usmle type or other medical questions for the students.
I really enjoyed the experience and I am very happy that I did it.
What is your opinion? Does it worth it to add it as a work experience in ERAS?

Hello guys,
I ve got a similar question.
I ve worked for a limited period for a company in the field of online medical education. I was creating usmle type or other medical questions for the students.
I really enjoyed the experience and I am very happy that I did it.
What is your opinion? Does it worth it to add it as a work experience in ERAS?
If you'd like to talk about it in an interview, sure.

I agree with what’s been said - I, and many people in my class, included activities from college that fit with what we wanted to emphasize on our applications.