Psych portion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I purchased ek for my study material. It has been a wonderful representation for most all the info presented on the MCAT except for the psych portion. My first practice was full of terminology and jargon I have never heard of. What would be best to supplement? Right now I am piecing together what I am missing and reviewing it via kahn. The exam is in two months, should I purchase supplementary material or stick with kahn? I don't want to find out too late which choice is the right one

Members don't see this ad.

Don't sweat it. Gauge ur knowledge on P/S using AAMC material. Keep using Khan and focus on research methods

Strictly speaking, the unscored, scored, section bank, and KA are the only resources that are affiliated with AAMC, and thus most likely to represent the actual test. Everything else is likely to be abbreviated and/or miss some things.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What I have done is make a list of all the terms that EK states you should know and google them. Know the concept of each term genuinely and you should be fine ( I am assuming that you do not have any issues with interpreting psychological data).

Also, I found it helpful to know the concepts of the terms that are presented as possible answers for practice questions (even if it is incorrect for that particular question).

If you can interpret studies and truly know the psych/socio terms, you should be ok. Psychology/Sociology are science that are pretty much composed of theories, so knowing the theories and what they imply is crucial. You will also be surprised with the amount of common sense that is found in psych/socio passages.

Hope that helped a little.

EK psych is really weak. I purchased TPR psych and thought it was much more thorough. I still had surprises on my actual test, but TPR was much better than EK. It was only like $30 and you get access to some full length practice tests (which I didn't use, but still a nice bonus). I'd also supplement with Khan Academy videos.

What I have done is make a list of all the terms that EK states you should know and google them. Know the concept of each term genuinely and you should be fine ( I am assuming that you do not have any issues with interpreting psychological data).

Also, I found it helpful to know the concepts of the terms that are presented as possible answers for practice questions (even if it is incorrect for that particular question).

If you can interpret studies and truly know the psych/socio terms, you should be ok. Psychology/Sociology are science that are pretty much composed of theories, so knowing the theories and what they imply is crucial. You will also be surprised with the amount of common sense that is found in psych/socio passages.

Hope that helped a little.
Yea I can interpret them. It's actually my best section; save for CARS. I will do what you did and just make a definition bank. Every time I take a new test I run into at least 10+ vocabulary items I have never heard of. And I have a degree in psych??? Oh well. Thanks for the advice. Good luck!!!

Khan is great for the P/S portion. Their passages are a great resource behind the AAMC's. They explain things in a little more depth and frequent new terminology shows up which never hurts to learn since the AAMC could throw curveballs at you on the P/S section.