pursuing postdoc after licensure?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HealthPsycDoc

Reaction score
Hi, I currently live in a state (Utah) that doesn't require postdoc, and I am eligible for licensure. However, I want to be license eligible in other states that do require postdoc hours. I am wondering though, if I obtain licensure in Utah, can I still do a post-doc to obtain hours that can go towards licensure for other states, or does having a license somewhere prevent me from doing this?

Thanks!
Mel

Members don't see this ad.

I've never heard of licensure being a barrier to a postdoctoral fellowship. In some cases it could be a plus.

I have heard (but haven't confirmed) that there are some states that stop counting postdoc hours for licensure purposes after you have obtained a your license in any other state, even if you are enrolled in a formal postdoc position and receiving supervision.

To me this sounds stupid, but I would be safe and check with state boards if you know any states you could end up in. Also, maybe pass the EPPP while on postdoc and then just hold of getting your license issued if you can, to eliminate this as a potential problem?