Question about Osteopathic Traditional Rotating Internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doughy315

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I matched into an advanced anesthesia position. I am currently completing my osteopathic approved internship now and will start my anesthesia residency in July 2013. I heard at the start of July 2014, the ACGME will no longer accept Osteopathic Approved Internships for Individuals completing ACGME approved residencies, such as Anesthesia, Dermatology, and Radiology. Is this true??

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,
I matched into an advanced anesthesia position. I am currently completing my osteopathic approved internship now and will start my anesthesia residency in July 2013. I heard at the start of July 2014, the ACGME will no longer accept Osteopathic Approved Internships for Individuals completing ACGME approved residencies, such as Anesthesia, Dermatology, and Radiology. Is this true??

BUMP

really? anyone know anything about this?

As the question is about what the ACGME "accepts" as the clinical year, the best resouce is the ACGME website program requirements. Radiology has been updated for the NAS, and reads:

This year must consist of training accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME), the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC), or equivalent organization in internal medicine, pediatrics, surgery or surgical specialties, obstetrics and gynecology, neurology, family medicine, emergency medicine, or any combination of these. The clinical year may also comprise a transitional year accredited by the ACGME or equivalent organization

The Dermatology and Anesthesiology requirements have not been updated yet.

If the recent agreement eventually leads to the ACGME accrediting all AOA programs, the OP's assertion certainly makes sense - there would be no AOA approved internships, or if there are, there would be no reason for the ACGME to not require ACGME accredited internships.