Question about second visit to a program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

devilwearsprada

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am very interested in a program I interviewed at last month.
I thought the interview went pretty well, and I have sent nice TY notes to everyone a day after.

I asked for a second visit recently by email but got no reply at all. That is getting me concerned because another program had replied back very nicely to acknowledge my TY letters.
Can anyone tell me what should I take this as? I am feeling sick to the stomach.:eek:

Members don't see this ad.

I thought the interview went pretty well, and I have sent nice TY notes to everyone a day after.

I asked for a second visit recently by email but got no reply at all. That is getting me concerned because another program had replied back very nicely to acknowledge my TY letters.
Can anyone tell me what should I take this as? I am feeling sick to the stomach.:eek:

It is all a "hazing process" it does not end even when you get to residency. It seems like they are a cat and you are the mouse. Maybe it is just my residency. People are hard to judge. Just go forward, do your best and rank your programs and "pray" that it all works out.

Good luck and God Bless.

What?!! These programs are lucky that you would even consider doing a second look. FM is a buyers' market.

Don't interpret a non-response as anything of any significant. All the residents on this message board will tell you that even the most well oiled machine is, at best, controlled chaos when it comes to coordinating. Your program is probably really busy catching up from the holiday season and trying to finish up primary interviews that they may not be thinking of second looks as of yet. The other thing is that sometimes non-urgent emails fall down people's mailbox that before you know it, 2 weeks have passed, especially when the receiving party only check their work email M-F. Lastly, maybe they didn't get your email.

Your next step may be to call the program and just say that you're interested in doing a second look, ask if they've gotten your email, and tell them you're calling to follow up on the email. I'd be very surprised if you got a cold shoulder. That's considered poor form and I doubt programs would do that intentionally. Match is still many weeks away and most programs don't even have an opinion about the candidates because they haven't interviewed them all and discussed them all.

You're good. Don't sweat it.

Members don't see this ad :)

From my experience, I have contacted four programs back regarding second look opportunities and received email/phone responses from the program directors the next day. It probably depends on the programs itself since they may be busy with getting through primary interviews during the holidays. Best of luck to you:luck:and stay positive and patient!:idea:

Thanks very much! :) I guess the best time to make the second visit will be after the primary interview season.

What?!! These programs are lucky that you would even consider doing a second look. FM is a buyers' market.

Don't interpret a non-response as anything of any significant. All the residents on this message board will tell you that even the most well oiled machine is, at best, controlled chaos when it comes to coordinating. Your program is probably really busy catching up from the holiday season and trying to finish up primary interviews that they may not be thinking of second looks as of yet. The other thing is that sometimes non-urgent emails fall down people's mailbox that before you know it, 2 weeks have passed, especially when the receiving party only check their work email M-F. Lastly, maybe they didn't get your email.

Your next step may be to call the program and just say that you're interested in doing a second look, ask if they've gotten your email, and tell them you're calling to follow up on the email. I'd be very surprised if you got a cold shoulder. That's considered poor form and I doubt programs would do that intentionally. Match is still many weeks away and most programs don't even have an opinion about the candidates because they haven't interviewed them all and discussed them all.

You're good. Don't sweat it.

I agree wholeheartedly.