Questions About Interviewing & Related Topics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I recently had an interview for a PhD Counseling program. I thanked my POI for his time via e-mail, and he responded by asking me to tell him if I have any competing offers in hand (or if I get any in the future).

Most of my POIs have replied to my thank yous with a similar e-mail. I feel it is almost just standard for them to ask. I wouldn't answer the question directly and say "no I have no offers", NOR would I tell them I'm uncomfortable answering the question. I would just let them know you'll be in touch to update them in the coming weeks. Then again, most of my POIs responses haven't been straight out "Do you have any offers?" - they have mostly been simple statement like "if you receive any offers or if things change for you regarding your application status please let us know" etc. (Which is why I've replied with a similar general statement. If he/she asked directly, I may say something to the effect of 'I'm still waiting to hear from various schools and will be sure to keep you updated' etc.).

When you do have an offer it is appropriate to inform them (including the schools you are waitlisted at).

Members don't see this ad.

So I know a lot of people have been asked by POIs about offers... but how do you let them know that you have an offer without them asking. Let me rephrase that. I have an offer, and also had an interview to a pretty good school exactly two weeks ago. The POI said that they would let me know in a week after the interview, but that has not happened. I do not want to appear pushy, however, I would like to know my situation accepted/waitlisted/rejected. It just doesn't seem fair to the other program to keep them waiting while I wait... What is the standard waiting time before announcing the POI/grad assistant respectfully that you would like to know your standing, since you already have an offer and want to make a decision? :confused:

So I know a lot of people have been asked by POIs about offers... but how do you let them know that you have an offer without them asking. Let me rephrase that. I have an offer, and also had an interview to a pretty good school exactly two weeks ago. The POI said that they would let me know in a week after the interview, but that has not happened. I do not want to appear pushy, however, I would like to know my situation accepted/waitlisted/rejected. It just doesn't seem fair to the other program to keep them waiting while I wait... What is the standard waiting time before announcing the POI/grad assistant respectfully that you would like to know your standing, since you already have an offer and want to make a decision? :confused:

You can ask them right now. You won't seem pushy. Let them know that you have another offer and just want to know where you stand.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can ask them right now. You won't seem pushy. Let them know that you have another offer and just want to know where you stand.

My advisor said the same thing. Thanks! :)

Hey everyone. Just wondering how interviews have been going? I am a first year and just got done interviewing the incoming class today, interested to see your perspective on how things went.

Hey everyone. Just wondering how interviews have been going? I am a first year and just got done interviewing the incoming class today, interested to see your perspective on how things went.

For me, interviews went well. Looking at the whole application process, I would have to say that interviewing is my strength.

As someone who has been on both sides of the interview, what insights have you gained by being an interviewer this year?

It's definitely a lot better on this end of things, less rattling. You realize how different your life becomes when you are a graduate student. I think the biggest change has been that it is less competitive (at least at Hofstra). You work so hard and it is so competitive getting in but once you're here it is so much calmer

Also a first year on my part...I had a nightmare that I didn't get into grad school on the night I hosted my applicant. I think she slept better than I did!

I'm finding interviews very difficult to gauge. I would say it is a comparable to when I applied. I was extremely pessimistic but I ended up receiving 5 out of 9 interview offers to the schools I applied to. It's hard to know how well you spoke in comparison to others, whether your goals are in line with the school, and even who your interviewing with.

In all, I'm very ready for this process to be over and some kind of decision to be reached. After conversation with the other grad students, do you feel like the expectations were met?

I'm finding interviews very difficult to gauge. I would say it is a comparable to when I applied. I was extremely pessimistic but I ended up receiving 5 out of 9 interview offers to the schools I applied to. It's hard to know how well you spoke in comparison to others, whether your goals are in line with the school, and even who your interviewing with.

In all, I'm very ready for this process to be over and some kind of decision to be reached. After conversation with the other grad students, do you feel like the expectations were met?

It can be a very stressful time, though hopefully the hardwork pays off. It will be good training, because as people go through training and establish their careers, there will be multiple times when they'll have to interview and do many of these things again. If it is any consilation, by the time I got to my fellowship interviews, I felt like I had plenty of interview experiences to make the process much more managable.

I applied to a PsyD program that required all application materials except LoRs be sent together. I sent the materials, and they received it. They also received one of the LoRs a few days later, but after that it went quiet.

I called the admissions office a few weeks after the deadline to ask, and I was told to call back the following week, since they were severely backed up. I sent in my official transcript with fall semester grades a bit later, which was received. I also asked my professors to resend their letters in case the original ones were lost in the postal service; they agreed to email them to the admissions office.

A month later (two months after deadline), the status was still not updated and the LoRs were still missing. I called them to ask about my status, and the person who answered sounded annoyed/irritated... and basically said, "If we don't have it on the computer, we don't have it." o_O.

I don't want to ask my professors again because I'm confident they sent the letters. I don't know if the secretaries log calls on people's folders, so I didn't want to risk calling again... Well, do they, and should I call again? Or should I just call it a day?

Thanks in advance!

I had this problem. My profs received an e-mail confirmation that it had been electronically submitted. She e-mailed their help desk and we fwded them the confirmation e-mail, and they figured it out. I was panicing though...

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to a PsyD program that required all application materials except LoRs be sent together. I sent the materials, and they received it. They also received one of the LoRs a few days later, but after that it went quiet.

I called the admissions office a few weeks after the deadline to ask, and I was told to call back the following week, since they were severely backed up. I sent in my official transcript with fall semester grades a bit later, which was received. I also asked my professors to resend their letters in case the original ones were lost in the postal service; they agreed to email them to the admissions office.

A month later (two months after deadline), the status was still not updated and the LoRs were still missing. I called them to ask about my status, and the person who answered sounded annoyed/irritated... and basically said, "If we don't have it on the computer, we don't have it." o_O.

I don't want to ask my professors again because I'm confident they sent the letters. I don't know if the secretaries log calls on people's folders, so I didn't want to risk calling again... Well, do they, and should I call again? Or should I just call it a day?

Thanks in advance!

it sounds like they're really disorganized and/or overwhelmed. can you ask your profs if they sent the email, just to make sure? f they did, i'd definately call the school again and explain your situation - that these missing letters were sent twice. if i got the same response from the admissions office, i'd move up the ladder. i'd write the director of admissions (?) a professional, concise email stating the facts and with a good (calm) tone. if i didn't get a response within a few days, i would follow up with phone calls.

i'd also advise you be diplomatic and not place blame on anyone even if if it becomes clear that administrative incompetence is to blame.

best of luck

p.s. it sounds like you have little to lose by calling back, even if they do log phone calls, which they probably dont do if they cant keep track of LOR's

Last edited:
it sounds like they're really disorganized and/or overwhelmed. can you ask your profs if they sent the email, just to make sure? f they did, i'd definately call the school again and explain your situation - that these missing letters were sent twice. if i got the same response from the admissions office, i'd move up the ladder. i'd write the director of admissions (?) a professional, concise email stating the facts and with a good (calm) tone. if i didn't get a response within a few days, i would follow up with phone calls.

i'd also advise you be diplomatic and not place blame on anyone even if if it becomes clear that administrative incompetence is to blame.

best of luck

p.s. it sounds like you have little to lose by calling back, even if they do log phone calls, which they probably dont do if they cant keep track of LOR's

Performing necromancy on this here thread...

Thanks for your reply. I found out my other application was missing letters (so much for confidence), so it wasn't the school - though their response could've been better. :x

I recently had an interview for a PhD Counseling program. I thanked my POI for his time via e-mail, and he responded by asking me to tell him if I have any competing offers in hand (or if I get any in the future).
Do you all have any opinions on this? What should I do?

This is NOT okay. You are not obligated to give any program information about other programs you've applied to, or whether or not you have other offers.

I get that this makes it easier for the program, but it can really put you at a disadvantage. You have no way of knowing whether sharing this information will hurt or help you. It's possible that if a school knows you have other offers, they'll make you an offer sooner because they don't want to lose you. It's also possible that if you have other offers, a program will move down their list to someone who doesn't, with the idea that they can be much more certain of that person accepting their offer. This has happened in my program (not saying which one) - I'm not just speculating here. The worst outcome for a program is that they make an offer to someone who sits on it for so long that by the time they decline, the program can't get any of their other candidates. If a POI can avoid wasting an offer on someone who's likely to decline, they will. By the same token, if you tell a school that you have no other offers, they may perceive that they can make an offer to someone else first, because they know that they can keep you waiting.

It's okay for you to volunteer this information, if you so choose. In fact, if you were to get an offer from, say, your 2nd choice, it would be okay to contact the POI and say, "hey, I have another offer, but I'm more interested in your program - could you update me on how likely it is that I will get an offer from you?" But you shouldn't have to provide this information unless it's for your benefit, like in the situation I just described.

I received a rejection email from my POI at my top-choice program today.:( In it, she said she chose another student, but that I was the first alternate. She even explained that if this other individual declined the offer, because I was her second choice, I would be accepted in that person's place.

But then, the next line said: "If you have other opportunities, I think it might be best for you to take another offer before the April 15th date, rather than wait for something potentially here."

I may be completely overreacting to this, but is it possible she is just trying to soften the blow by telling me I'm the second alternate, when in fact, I'm not? (Can/do people do this?) Or does she know already that this other person has accepted the offer, but she can't tell me that? Seems kind of strange (to me) to encourage me to accept another offer, when in the previous sentence, she was telling me that I am one declined offer away from acceptance.

On the other hand, I could be completely paranoid, and she just genuinely doesn't want me to leave another institution hanging :oops:

I have been accepted at my 2nd choice school, so technically I could just confirm acceptance, but I was really, really holding out for this school. Anyone else's thoughts on all this would be appreciated!

Obviously, I could be wrong, but I think she just means that if you have other opportunities, you should accept them before the April 15th deadline passes because you would lose those opportunities after that deadline.
Then, you could possibly be left without any program.

The individual who has gotten the offer has until April 15th to accept. But, your POI is telling you not to wait until the 16th (hoping that the other individual will decline on the 15th)because she is looking out for you and doesn't want you to lose out on going to any program this fall.

That's my two cents.

I think your POI is saying that you shouldn't wait PAST April 15 at your other offer and potentially end up completely empty-handed. No reason for your POI to lie to you about your status.

Okay, you just said what I said EXCEPT you said it in a far more succinct and easier to understand way!!!! Must learn to write more like you. :)

Last edited:
That is odd. It might be worth sending her an e-mail back, stating that their program is your top choice and, if offered a place, you intend to accept. You could ask her point blank what she thinks your chances are. She might have said what she did because she has reason to believe that the person she chose will accept her offer. Or, like you said, she's trying to soften the blow... but I would hope she would not be going about it like this.

That is odd. It might be worth sending her an e-mail back, stating that their program is your top choice and, if offered a place, you intend to accept. You could ask her point blank what she thinks your chances are. She might have said what she did because she has reason to believe that the person she chose will accept her offer. Or, like you said, she's trying to soften the blow... but I would hope she would not be going about it like this.

I like the advice of probing for more info./clarification and communicating to the POI/program that they are clearly your top choice and that you will be waiting to hear from them whether or not you will get in off of the waitlist. That being said, I'd agree that you shouldn't wait PAST the deadline. But, I also think it's your right (and to your benefit) to wait up until 4/15 if necessary. Hopefully, you won't have to wait that long. The other person very well may accept/decline before then.

I like the advice of probing for more info./clarification and communicating to the POI/program that they are clearly your top choice and that you will be waiting to hear from them whether or not you will get in off of the waitlist.

Okay how does this sound (roughly):

Dear Dr. So and so,

Thank you for advising me of my admission status. While I have received other offers of admission, XXXX University remains my top choice program. Thus, I would appreciate it if you could let me know if my admission status changes.

Best wishes,
My name

Hi,
I usually write thank you emails after interviews.
However with this one school, they interviewed me on a Friday and called me on Monday to notify me of the acceptance, between which I did not have time to write them due to traveling back home.

Many days has passed since then, and I did already express my thanks to my POI and DCT in the process.

However I did not get in contact with my other interviewers who are faculty there, and I want to send them a card now rather than an email. I have two questions:
1. One of the cards I got has a simple monochrome design and says "Thanks!" on its cover (written with a typewriter, the picture consists of a typewriter and a piece of paper) - is this inappropriate/too informal? (insie the card it says "thank you")

I can't believe I'm writing about this here, but I don't want to risk the prof thinking I'm disrespectful.

2. How should I address the thanks?
I don't know if he knows that I got accepted or not so should I say roughly,

thank you for interviewing me, and I was offered a spot and I'm attending this fall -

or thank you for interview, I will be attending your program this fall.

It's petty questions and at this stage I may as well not send a note,
but still I don't want to end up being the rude person!

Thank you for your feedback in advance! :)

How long ago was the interview? i think a thank you know if it's more than a week or 2 later is completely unnecessary, and an email is already above-and-beyond.

I wanted to bump this thread, since it's going to be relevant for those of us going through the process again this year very soon.

Does anyone know what kinds of questions are asked during a preliminary phone interview with a POI? (for clinical psych phd research focused school) I was guessing it would be more focused on whether or not you're a good research match since the purpose is to see if you should be invited to the in person interview. What kinds of questions are appropriate for me to ask? Or do students not generally ask questions in the preliminary interview? I was going to ask about what kinds of research her grad students are doing and what future research she intends on doing in the next few years.
Thanks!

Hi,

I was wondering what people typically carry during the interview day. I just bought a portfolio that can fit a copy of my undergraduate thesis. Is it appropriate to bring my thesis? It is rather heavy though, and I wonder what the purpose of bringing it would be other than saying "hey isn't this cool it was bound and published for the library?" But then again, maybe it is common to bring publications or a thesis.. i have no clue!

Also, I plan to stick my cellphone, ID, and some money in the portfolio in lieu of carrying a purse. Is this common or do women typically carry a purse to interviews? I only have casual purses or fancy clutches, and I don't think either are appropriate :D. I suppose I could've bought a more professional purse instead of a portfolio but I figured a portfolio could hold my thesis and can be used during conferences or presentations during grad school.

Thanks!

I think using your portfolio in lieu of a purse is a good idea. I have seen people with one, both, and neither at interviews. It is whatever you feel comfortable with. As far as bringing a copy of your bound thesis, I wouldn't. It would only come across like you said, kinda like "oh, look how cool it is." No one is going to read it right then and you aren't going to leave it for them. Besides, it will be far more impressive if you can speak about it off the cuff. If you take things with you (extra copies of CV, writing samples, business cards) it should be something you are willing to leave with them.

Confidence is the key for an successful interview. Try to answer the question smartly and to be very confident what you are saying.

Hi,

I was wondering what people typically carry during the interview day. I just bought a portfolio that can fit a copy of my undergraduate thesis. Is it appropriate to bring my thesis? It is rather heavy though, and I wonder what the purpose of bringing it would be other than saying "hey isn't this cool it was bound and published for the library?" But then again, maybe it is common to bring publications or a thesis.. i have no clue!

Last year, I bought a cute laptop bag that could fit a bunch of things (folder, a change of shoes, money, my phone, pens, a granola bar, etc.). Often, they give YOU stuff too - folders and other swag - so it was nice to have one bag to carry all that stuff instead of juggling a bunch of different things. There's usually a "homebase" where you can keep your stuff throughout most of the day. I found it helpful to leave my bag there, and use my folder, notepad, etc. as needed. If I felt like I wanted to refresh my make-up or put on comfortable shoes for a walking tour, it was easy to go back and get those things as needed. Now, I use the bag alllll the time (as my carry-on on planes, school bag, etc.).

I don't think you need your thesis. I brought copies of my CV, but I don't know if I ever used them...

Thanks guys! That makes sense. Plus my thesis is kinda heavy so I'd rather not lug that around all day. Yeah I think I'll just stick with my padfolio. I have a laptop case too but it sounds nowhere near as cute as yours, haha!

I have one POI that asked me to email him if I have any questions. The interview weekend is in February. I don't really have any questions about the program but I feel obligated to ask him something as a way to show interest.

What do people think about asking him to share a current project (i.e. not published yet) that I'm genuinely interested in? The other idea I had was to ask him if there was a chapter or article that he'd like me to read prior to meeting with him. Are either of these ideas a good thing to do? Apart from this, I don't have anything to ask him that I don't feel like I can easily find out on the interview weekend.

Hopefully thinking about this ahead will help out! What should women wear when meeting with graduate student(s), not a faculty member, for an interview? Would business casual be ok?

I'll be flying in for an interview early in the morning and leaving later that afternoon. I won't be flying with my interview clothes on so I need to bring a carry-on to pack it in. How odd would it be to bring my rolling luggage with me to the interview? Does anyone have any experience/seen this?

I'm probably stressing too much over minor details, but it would make me feel better to know it happens. :laugh:

Hopefully thinking about this ahead will help out! What should women wear when meeting with graduate student(s), not a faculty member, for an interview? Would business casual be ok?

Is this an official interview? If so, dress as you would for any other interview. A lot of schools however have social events set up with grad students. If thats the case you could be a little more casual. however, I usually find erring on the side of caution (meaning more formal instead of less) is a good bet

I'll be flying in for an interview early in the morning and leaving later that afternoon. I won't be flying with my interview clothes on so I need to bring a carry-on to pack it in. How odd would it be to bring my rolling luggage with me to the interview? Does anyone have any experience/seen this?

I'm probably stressing too much over minor details, but it would make me feel better to know it happens. :laugh:

Don't stress about bringing your luggage with you to the interview, it happens all the time. Typically the department, current graduate student, office coordinator, or someone equally helpful will store it for you in an office and you can retrieve it when all is said and done. I had to do this on my interviews for graduate school, I saw others doing the same thing, and even now for internship interviews I have had to occasionally bring the suitcase with me. Sometimes, there is just no escaping it. If it makes you feel better, you can always shoot the person an email who is coordinating the interviews and ask directly.

However, I would add the one caveat that you might want to make sure your luggage is appropriate for a professional setting (i.e. it isn't personalized with political belief etc...)

Along the same lines as above, I specified specific professors whose research I found interesting and with whom I would like to work. However, I just received my interview itinerary and none of those professors are on the list. The ones listed seem to have none of my common interests or experiences. Is this common? How should I prepare for an interview with one of these professors?

Is it okay to email the professors I am interested in working with and request a meeting in addition to the interview?

Thanks!

Don't stress about bringing your luggage with you to the interview, it happens all the time. Typically the department, current graduate student, office coordinator, or someone equally helpful will store it for you in an office and you can retrieve it when all is said and done. I had to do this on my interviews for graduate school, I saw others doing the same thing, and even now for internship interviews I have had to occasionally bring the suitcase with me. Sometimes, there is just no escaping it. If it makes you feel better, you can always shoot the person an email who is coordinating the interviews and ask directly.

However, I would add the one caveat that you might want to make sure your luggage is appropriate for a professional setting (i.e. it isn't personalized with political belief etc...)

Thanks for the info! I figured it was normal enough, but I just wanted to make sure.

Along the same lines as above, I specified specific professors whose research I found interesting and with whom I would like to work. However, I just received my interview itinerary and none of those professors are on the list. The ones listed seem to have none of my common interests or experiences. Is this common? How should I prepare for an interview with one of these professors?

Is it okay to email the professors I am interested in working with and request a meeting in addition to the interview?

Thanks!

What kind of program is it? If it's a Clinical Ph.D. that uses the mentor model, then this is odd, and you might want to follow up about it.

I'd like to preface this by saying I absolutely never thought I would have this problem (this is my third time applying to Clinical Psych PhD programs), but I received two interview invitations for the exact same date/time.

How do I handle this? If I don't go to one of these schools (or go at a different time), do I have absolutely no chance of being accepted? Help!

I'd like to preface this by saying I absolutely never thought I would have this problem (this is my third time applying to Clinical Psych PhD programs), but I received two interview invitations for the exact same date/time.

How do I handle this? If I don't go to one of these schools (or go at a different time), do I have absolutely no chance of being accepted? Help!

You'll of course have to choose one of the two interviews to attend, although on what you base that decision (your perceived fit with the program, which of the two programs you like more/would more enjoy attending, at which of the two programs you feel you have a better chance of being accepted, etc.) is entirely up to you.

I'd suggest making that decision as quickly as possible, so that you can then contact the other program to let them know you will regretfully not be able to attend the interview on the offered date. You can then ask if any other dates are available, or if a phone interview and/or an informal visit to meet with faculty would be possible. Not attending an interview would probably negatively affect the likelihood of your being accepted, but I wouldn't say it'd be to the point that there would be absolutely no chance.

Thanks!

In my experience, every school does things differently. I'd contact the program just to make sure this is legit. If it is, then YES, email the profs you want to work with, let them know you're coming in for an interview, and ask if they'd have time to meet with you while you're there.

What are the essential items that a person should be bringing to an interview? All I can think of is copies of my CV and paper/pens. I will also have a "cheat sheet" of interviews answers/questions in my bag to review beforehand. Any other ideas?

What are the essential items that a person should be bringing to an interview? All I can think of is copies of my CV and paper/pens. I will also have a "cheat sheet" of interviews answers/questions in my bag to review beforehand. Any other ideas?

For both graduate school and now internship interviews, I also brought

A cheat sheet in my bag with faculty information and school specific information, just in case I wanted to look something up real quick.

Gum/mints- in case they provide lunch and then you have an interview, you don't want to smell like the onions from your sandwich.

If I was unfamiliar with the locale, I also brought some google maps with directions.

For both graduate school and now internship interviews, I also brought

A cheat sheet in my bag with faculty information and school specific information, just in case I wanted to look something up real quick.

Gum/mints- in case they provide lunch and then you have an interview, you don't want to smell like the onions from your sandwich.

If I was unfamiliar with the locale, I also brought some google maps with directions.

ooh good call on the mints...thanks for the tips!

So I'm currently in contact with a couple of professors that emailed me after I received an interview offer/after they learned that im attending the interview.

What are some good questions to ask the professor prior to interviewing?