Quick Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EnviroDentist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to dental school last year and already have letters of recommendation for dental school. How bad do you think it would look if I used the dental letters for opt school? It's just such a hard process of getting letters, I don't want to go through it again and the letter service that I used has copies of all of the letters for me to use again.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to dental school last year and already have letters of recommendation for dental school. How bad do you think it would look if I used the dental letters for opt school? It's just such a hard process of getting letters, I don't want to go through it again and the letter service that I used has copies of all of the letters for me to use again.
Thanks

Well what do they say? If they say "I think xxx will make a great dental student" then I would advise against using them. Also they are over a year old, it might be better to get more recent letters..

they would laugh at you and think you sent it to the wrong schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks

If the letters are general enough, they will have no way to know they were dental school letters. But, if the letters have a written date more than a year old... it's going to look fishy. Definitely try to get current letters.

Good luck !

The letters are from last August so it's not like they were written years ago. I have no idea if they professors mentioned that I was pre-dent or not. I guess I'm going to ask them to write new letters for me for opt school, I just hate asking people for these things. It should be easy for them though if they saved a copy of the letter.
thanks for the opinions

The letters are from last August so it's not like they were written years ago. I have no idea if they professors mentioned that I was pre-dent or not. I guess I'm going to ask them to write new letters for me for opt school, I just hate asking people for these things. It should be easy for them though if they saved a copy of the letter.
thanks for the opinions

I think the biggest question you should be asking yourself is why the switch to optometry? Dentistry and optometry are about as different as.... well....eyes and teeth.

You have to make sure that optometry is what you really really REALLY want. Don't do the whole "well, I just want to be some kind of doctor so optometry is good enough" thing because I can pretty much guarantee that you will end up regretting that.